Making Objects

QA Puma

Just some questions to ask:

1.Can I make SA map objects with Zmodeler?

2.If I can, how do I make a txd for them?

1) Yes, using Zmod 2 you can export map .dffs, but they'll need prelighting. You'll either have to grab max and do it yourself, or like me get a prelighting bitch on the case!

2) Download summin like G-TXD or TXDWorkshop. Try open a few of the .txds around to understand how they work, but tis all very simple. A .txd file comprises of named entries with a texture assigned to it. For example, say I had a texture called "shoptexture1.tga", the texture entry would be named "shoptexture1".

Also, for SA, if it's not got an alpha channel, it'll have to be compressed to DXT-1 compression, and compressed to DXT-3 if it does have an alpha channel.

1) Yes, using Zmod 2 you can export map .dffs, but they'll need prelighting. You'll either have to grab max and do it yourself, or like me get a prelighting bitch on the case!

2) Download summin like G-TXD or TXDWorkshop. Try open a few of the .txds around to understand how they work, but tis all very simple. A .txd file comprises of named entries with a texture assigned to it. For example, say I had a texture called "shoptexture1.tga", the texture entry would be named "shoptexture1".

Also, for SA, if it's not got an alpha channel, it'll have to be compressed to DXT-1 compression, and compressed to DXT-3 if it does have an alpha channel.

Thanks, but do I also need to get some kind of COL editor?

• 2 weeks later...
dertyjerzian

can i use anything other than zmod

3ds max/gmax, blender, lightwave, sketchup.

3DS/Gmax are the standard (and quit honestly the best, but it is a matter of taste.)

ANd the only things ull get real help for are the Max and Sketchups. But sketchup sucks for GTA modding, too much hassle

Thanks, but do I also need to get some kind of COL editor?

if u will be using Zmodeler you will need (at least) col maker and col editorII by steve-m.

If you are using max you will need only KAMS (script set) and COLEDITORII.

When making maps remember these:

THe "LOAD SPLASH SCREEN" entries in GTA.DAT tell you where and when a crash occurs. Up to you to find out why.

IMG must be filled by IDE like this: All of one IDE's DFFs, then it's TXDs, then it's single Col library containing all of its col files. Then add the next. Failure to do this will result in missing collisions and even crashes.

LOD system is different from old GTAs! Very Very easy, just new.

Do not make VERY large structures/feilds of land/systems of road without chopping them into smaller pieces. (the building in Los Santos is multiple pieces, iirc)

do NOT get discouraged! Problems are usually due to your own workflow, not true error, so try to develop a process of doing things.

Keep learning, happy modding

Bandy Ban-Ban-Ban. Chugga Chugga Woot Woot.