Amazing Beta

meqsoftrobert

meqsoftrobert

Now all I here is conraversy over the whole beta game. First off let me state one thing when I started playing games I was like wtf coming up with these ideas and crap. Well now I know I have been getting into C# and XNA game programing let me tell you all who have not moded one of these games. The water is a texture runing and heightening across the map at hihg and low points then things called heightmaps... user posted image

which change the height of a texture bassed on the darkness of an image. Now the way rockstar did was modeled each piece of land in some sort of professional modeling software thats why parts are fall throughable. Anyway now the buildings and cars and carachters are models that have code such as Physics programing where when one part of the car collides with an object which is a model once detected at that point it is programed how the rest of the model acts through animations. The player has a model when the player presses forward an animation is loaded which moves the model forward. I hope this covers some of that contraversy. Back to business why was the airport moved to shoreside vale? why was shoreside not finished being made like Jersey as I suspect it was supposed to be like? and if Rockstar planned all these games out did they think we messed up these cities then redo it or did they plan to redo it. Well post some comments I am doing my best to find anything on the beta and I think about doing a mod to make the game like the beta which would be a total TC but anyways take a look at this beta video (it was the first video released by Rockstar and was seen at E3)

Tons of voices by Sylvatore and the city was so much better this is what I plan to do with a mod but feedback on my ideas anything you find on the beta just for talk about the beta in this topic.

Claude94: shouldve also mentioned that the LOD model for the school house or whatever it is next to the portland hospital is still in the game, I guess they mustve changed it really late.

WbZaxRP.png

Hmmm nice bike

I see the field in the manual scan, but I don't get what the red circles is about.

There is a different plane in the red circle. Either a beta Dodo or a totally different plane.

OnePiece: Oh yeah. That place I said was a school was always the Portland Hospital. The real school is down the road from the hospital next to the Callahan Bridge. In this beta screen, it looks much nicer than in the final:

user posted image

user posted image

The school is that building with the red bricks to the left in both pics. In the final, it is just some run-down building. Although it is referenced as a school (In a mission for Luigi, he tells you to go down to the "Old School Hall", and a map I saw of Liberty called it "The Old School".

rampage_ani.gif Claude94 rampage_ani.gif

Edited by Claude94

meqsoftrobert

Yeah wtf Rockstar why wasn't the airport left on staunton why did they mess up the great graphics. Now I understand they did want the whole Manhunt Carcer City feeling and that made it great but why the graphics huh? And another thing if Rockstar built the dodo with wings as seen in many examples why did they not have the rest of liberties buildings modeled solid was it just too much work?

Great graphics? The released GTA3 looks much better than those images. The released GTA3 also had the atmosphere that isn't present in those images that have a lot of people swearing by GTA3 even though SA is much better.

meqsoftrobert

OMG Go to the gta III website flash and then click where the hospital is it shows the brown buildings instead of the hostpital!!! Anyway I noticed some more beta pics don't know why they never got removed.

i dont know you guys will agree me but some of the beta explotions are better then the real one ph34r.gif

meqsoftrobert

DUDE I totaly agree and bereaking freakin news I just uncovered a full screen image of the beta hospital thats rihgt

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The one above wtf?????? A beta?

And whats this talk about "North" being numskulls and having a city up and running where you could jack a car and everything where they backed themselves into a corner and had to restart why did Houser say that?

These arent betas but their nice....

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by meqsoftrobert

Hmmm nice bike
user posted image

There was also a sign taken out that said "Welcome to Saint Marks" and peoples limbs could be blown off without a cheat.

You only need the cheat on the ps2 version.

WbZaxRP.png

There was also a sign taken out that said "Welcome to Saint Marks"

I wonder why they did that, it seemed harmless enough.

Imagine what this game would be like, had there been no international disaster prior to it's release?

DUDE I totaly agree and bereaking freakin news I just uncovered a full screen image of the beta hospital thats rihgt

its nice to hear some one is agreeing me biggrin.gif

Hmmm nice bike

The Portland police station changed too. At the GTA 3 flash site, the Trenton police station was smaller.

Trenton police station?

The Trenton Police Station is the police station in Portland. Anyway the taxi's looked nicer in the BETA. In the final game they probably called the old school hall that because it used to be a functional school ?

Trenton police station?

The Trenton Police Station is the police station in Portland. Anyway the taxi's looked nicer in the BETA. In the final game they probably called the old school hall that because it used to be a functional school ?

bit too small innit? probably why it's called a school hall.

Interesting, haven't seen that before. Much better than the collection of stills video.

It shocks me that people are still discovering this sort of thing, if you go to gouranga.com, they've known about it for years and the info's all there, with screenshots. The old school buses can still be found in the junkyard, and along with the run down school hall, shows that the idea for kids was scrapped but there were plans for it. Personally i'm glad it was left out, i don't feel the need to kill virtual children thanks.

@Zom-B: You gave me a spook at first when I saw your avatar. I thought you were somebody else [/off topic]

oicwutudidther rolleyes.gif

Nice video. Sans blatant red sky, everything looks like it turned out as planned.

Hmmm nice bike
The old school buses can still be found in the junkyard, and along with the run down school hall, shows that the idea for kids was scrapped but there were plans for it. Personally i'm glad it was left out, i don't feel the need to kill virtual children thanks.

Yeah. There were defintiley kids planned for the game. The proof:

Pictures: There were plenty of beta pictures showing school buses.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

^^^^This picture also shows the beta HUD

Then some pictures of the "Old School Hall", which didn't look old in the beta. There were windows, and it was pretty clean-looking.

user posted image

user posted image

Also, go to the school and look for the parking lot. Ahead of the parking lot is a small field with a walkway, and a basketball court with benches. Almost like if this were a playground area.

Also, school children were announced as peds in May 2001 (look at Gouranga)

Basically, I'm glad that R* left kids out of the game, since it could have caused alot more controversy (you can already kill cops, children would have made things alot worse)

user posted image

^^^^This picture also shows the beta HUD

Woah! When I was making Windshield for SA, I was considering indicating wanted level by a meter that ran beside the radar. I was even up to the challenge of using an alpha mask to stylishly mate it to the radar like that there!

The old school buses can still be found in the junkyard

the "bus" is still in the game. may not be a school bus though. wonder if it comes in yellow....hmm

Yeah good point, there is a bus. But it's a different shape.

Someone said the LOD's still exist from the School and old buildings? Is it possible to see them? Like go to Staunton then come back to Portlaund without it loading somehow?

Hmmm nice bike

You might need mods for no loading, but once the game didn't load while in Portland, and all that was different with the small building next to the Callahan Bridge (the school) was that there was no windows. Can someone try the no loading on the PS2? It may be different looking.

meqsoftrobert

Wow it surprises me how many people figure out the beta everyday huh? I mean you think everyone would know but thats why these topics stay alive and continue getting posted to. But not only that I think its the want for the beta in those of us who know of it and have played or beat III.