3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Buildings Loading

Sicologikal

Sicologikal

Hi I have two questions:

1) How can I speed up the loading times of the buildings?

I have a problem with it because when I pass Little Haiti it takes a while for it to load up....

there is no detail on the buildings...

after a few seconds the detail shows up!

also...

2) What is the Streaming Memory and Dummys on the Limit Adjuster and does it affect Q1?

Thanks for the help! icon14.gif

Ring_of_Fire

1) How can I speed up the loading times of the buildings?

I have a problem with it because when I pass Little Haiti it takes a while for it to load up....

there is no detail on the buildings...

after a few seconds the detail shows up!

That problem was mentioned in the Bug Fix list. You need to use Windows 98 compatibility mode, for some reason(s)! Spuds & Fuz, do you know why?! I thought Vice City supports Windows XP?!

Also, if you really want to make it run flawlessly in Windows XP mode, turning on the frame limiter and upping the draw distance can help as well.

Note: This could also mean that your graphics card is not rendering the textures fast enough. What's your graphics card? Have you tweaked around in Catalyst or in Forceware control panel? Things like VSync/Refresh rate contribute to this problem. Take a look Here (Technical Help -> Hilary keeps dying). It may help those who want textures to load up fast on Windows XP compatibility. However, Take 2 Support didn't mention nothing about using compatibility mode to resolve this situation. I am just curious as to why people have to always change the game's compatibility to be run in Windows 98 mode.

Catalyst tweakguide

Forceware tweakguide

2) What is the Streaming Memory and Dummys on the Limit Adjuster and does it affect Q1?

Don't know...

Edited by Ring_of_Fire
Sicologikal

Have you tweaked around in Catalyst or in Forceware control panel? Things like VSync/Refresh rate contribute to this problem. Take a look Here (Technical Help -> Hilary keeps dying). It may help those who want textures to load up fast on Windows XP compatibility. However, Take 2 Support didn't mention nothing about using compatibility mode to resolve this situation. I am just curious as to why people have to always change the game's compatibility to be run in Windows 98 mode.

Catalyst tweakguide

Forceware tweakguide

Im not sure how to check what grafix card I have & i dont even have a clue what Catalyst or Forceware is? Its probly too advanced for me! colgate.gif

Whats the Frame Limiter....I know its in the Display Options but im not sure of its function!

Ring_of_Fire

Go to the pinned Bug Fix list and Problem #1 will tell you how to fix your texture problem.

Spuds725
That problem was mentioned in the Bug Fix list. You need to use Windows 98 compatibility mode, for some reason(s)! Spuds & Fuz, do you know why?! I thought Vice City supports Windows XP?!

I play on PS2

I play on PS2

And that solution was provided well before I was anything near a leader here, meaning someone provided it years ago.

I do know that while XP supports VC, Windows 98 does just as well, and if not better in some cases (e.g. game running too fast on a dual core processor on XP). Dem was a big proponent of 98. Not quite sure why the solution applies to this problem, though.

Ring_of_Fire

So you are saying that everyone who plays Vice City for PC, must run it in compatiblility mode for Windows 98/Me to avoid texture problems? It's weird as to how T2 didn't know how to resolve this situation using that method. They say it had something to do with the settings for nVidia's Forceware Control Panel, and ATi's Catalyst Control Center.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire
So you are saying that everyone who plays Vice City for PC, must run it in compatiblility mode for Windows 98/Me to avoid texture problems?

Not at all. Personally, I run VC on XP without compatibility mode of any sort and encounter no problems. Rather, I'm saying that if you do run into problems on XP, 98 compatibility is a potential solution. Don't ask me why, but it seems to be a genuine blanket fix.

Ring_of_Fire

Oh, so you are saying that textures load up fast when you run it in Windwos XP mode? Hmm... then what graphics card do you have? biggrin.gif What's interesting with this problem on my computer is that I get a decent 20-30fps when the textures don't load up fast on 1280 x 1024 resolution. With that being said, it doesn't even seem to be a fps problem because the fact that Windows 98 compatibility forces it to load the textures fast enough means that it's something else. Well, I guess it's safe to assume now that certain graphics card that have less processing and VRAM power than others, simply may have to resort to lower resolutions to fix this problem when in Windows XP mode (648x480 32bit). Never 1024x768 - 1280x1024 pixels. However, there's still a mystery behind Windows 98 compatiblity and how it helps people with weaker graphics card. I think texture problems happens when you don't achieve a constant 30fps in Vice City. smile.gif

For PS2: Spuds you should remember this. I am sure you guys have the problem when you are driving you see "water" on the road, and all of a sudden, the game loads up the textures properly for the road!

For PC (Win XP): Hilary dies and textures load up slow everywhere. Biker gangs normally end up falling through blue hell.

Demarest

What's being described is a throughput issue. On the PS2, this means data being pulled from the disc. On PC, it refers to hard drive.

On PC, this means usual items will work: defrag, turn off antivirus, and other freeing of hard drive resources.

Yes, adjusting elements of the VC EXE will alter these. You didn't expect to make changes and nothing change, eh? wink.gif

Demarest
Isn't the hard drive faster than a regular DVD-ROM drive?

Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the game is incapable of asking for data faster than a hard drive is currently able to provide it. Especially if it's busy working for other programs/processes.

Ring_of_Fire

Hmm... so what makes Windows 98 compatibility mode load up the textures fast for people with weak graphics cards, and even slow non-defragmented hard drives? I have maxed out the anti-aliasing + anisotropic filtering, and I can still get textures to load fast. Once I set it to Windows XP, then that's when people get issues with textures.

I'll see what happens if I try playing Vice City on a CD. Although I would expect in-game performance to be much worse.