Skin change

PLPynton

i removed it intentionally

038B: load_requested_models

has no usage here, in SA as:

0247: request_model #VWMYCR

has true meaning of:

0247: load_modelID 181

we do not need to load them as they are loaded individually. we can find a lot of trash in SA script and the reason is that they just re-writed VC scripts and there was poor internal comunication to face problem of what is being removed/added... just like:

0596=1,  nop_old_taxi_player_check %1d% 

i have even better example:

one uses "get actor distance from ground" to check if actor is in air but guess what there is ready check "is actor in air". fresh meat? i do not know.

Edited by PLPynton

SteaVor

I actually wondered, why request_AND_load (merged to one opcode) wasn't introduced earlier in the engine. Didn't remember that SA had it that way, though. 038B shouldn't have any negative effects though.

PLPynton

yeah, you got me there i have forget to release it cookie.gif

Krailer

And I have learned a little more. Thanks for all the input.

I'm still using MB (mostly because of Darkpact) but I think it is getting kind of outdated.

I'm wondering if being able to use old save games is really that worthful, maybe I should just make my life easier and move on to SANNY. music.gif

Bigun

I'm still using MB (mostly because of Darkpact) but I think it is getting kind of outdated.

It is. I haven't tried, but I think you could very well use Darkpact in Sanny. If you didn't know, Sanny has a a handy MB -> SB code converter. Try using that on the Darkpact code (and on yours of course) and then using it normally.

@Bigun, did you want to do it the same way, or did you want to use a toggle to solve the keypress problem?

A toggle? How would that help? If you meant it doesn't, then Pynton's code still has the key problem. If you hold the key(s) for too long it will jump back to the start and change your skin a 2nd time. Only one simple method comes in mind here, really - before jumping back to the start, check if the player has let go of the keys.

It is called a 'key trap', because it traps the execution of the code, not letting it continue, until the keys are let go.

:PUNK103A4: name_thread 'PUNK':PUNK20001: wait  250 ms00D6: if 20256:  player $PLAYER_CHAR defined00E1: key_pressed  0  800E1: key_pressed  0  10004D: jump_if_false ££PUNK200D6: if 002F2:  is_actor $PLAYER_ACTOR modelID 181004D: jump_if_false ££PUNK309C7: change_player $PLAYER_CHAR skin_to  00002: jump ££PUNK_KeyTrap:PUNK30247: request_model #VWMYCR:PUNK40001: wait 0 ms00D6: if 00248:  model #VWMYCR available004D: jump_if_false ££PUNK409C7: change_player $PLAYER_CHAR skin_to  1810249: release_model #VWMYCR       ;I HAVE ADDED THAT thanx to SteaVor:PUNK_KeyTrap0001: wait 200 ms00D6: if 100E1:    key_pressed  0  800E1:    key_pressed  0  10004D: jump_if_false ££PUNK20002: jump ££PUNK_KeyTrap

EDIT: Oh, and about:

About the Darkpact (un)compatibility, I meant messing with the code outside the MAIN area as in changing the missions. The code I'm currently using was actually pasted inside the MAIN area (at the end) of the original scm, before injecting the code with Darkpact.

Yes, I know all that. The ONLY things that are outside MAIN are the missions (external scripts too, but technically they're outside the SCM itself)! Changing missions (I don't remember for sure but most likely externals as well) does NOT make your savefile incompatible.

Thats how Darkpact can even work; if you notice, it modifies Mission 0 (or 1 - I don't remember, and it doesn't matter biggrin.gif) and from there you put your code such as create_thread's (if you put it in MAIN, it will break the compatibility, as you can't put those in the end of MAIN) etc. It should be just fine if you modify missions/externals with Darkpact. Just put the modified missions in the 2nd, 'real' SCM (orig SCM+mod threads added to the end of MAIN) as it is the one being used and has to have the code.

Edited by Bigun

SteaVor

A toggle? How would that help? If you meant it doesn't, then Pynton's code still has the key problem. If you hold the key(s) for too long it will jump back to the start and change your skin a 2nd time. Only one simple method comes in mind here, really - before jumping back to the start, check if the player has let go of the keys.

It is called a 'key trap', because it traps the execution of the code, not letting it continue, until the keys are let go.

Yeah, it was late and I was supposed to be learning for my Abitur/Matura exam this morning. (It went fine! colgate.gif )

I had meant to write 'keytrap', sorry for the confusion.

Bigun

Yeah, it was late and I was supposed to be learning for my Abitur/Matura exam this morning. (It went fine! colgate.gif )

'Tis fine. smile.gif

Also,

Thats pretty funny considering it isn't actually a well-known term. moto_whistle.gif

SteaVor

Thats pretty funny considering it isn't actually a well-known term. moto_whistle.gif

Yeah, but I think it's kind of common among those who know about and use it. (This means that there a probably only a handful of people that know about it in GTA modding. A sensible topic for a 'best coding practices/tips and tricks' topic...)