Cannot Uninstall/Reinstall

kietotheworld

kietotheworld

I installed a mod which involved editing my gta3.img file, and I messed up and forgot to back it up, I thought it wouldn't matter because I still have the original DVD of the game.

When I try to uninstall the game, I get this alert box

user posted image

I'm running XP, any ideas?

Run a Google search for that dll, download it, and whack it in the directory listed in the error message. I've no idea if this will work, but I've used the same process for similar dll errors in the past with success.

Should have backed up before modding, eh? tounge.gif

kietotheworld

No luck. The folders mentioned don't even exist on my computer past C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime I tried creating them and using a downloaded ctor.dll and it just gave me a generic error message.

Have you tried un-installing in safe mode to see if that works. dontgetit.gif

s0h607k.jpg

kietotheworld
Have you tried un-installing in safe mode to see if that works. dontgetit.gif

Yes, didn't work though.

crazyanurag

well, you could just plain delete the game and clean up your registry using regedit, but that's only if you know what you're doing...

in any case, having one install shouldn't affect you to go ahead and have another install in a different directory...so just install the game in a different directory, and it'll work...

You'll Never Walk Alone

kietotheworld
well, you could just plain delete the game and clean up your registry using regedit, but that's only if you know what you're doing...

in any case, having one install shouldn't affect you to go ahead and have another install in a different directory...so just install the game in a different directory, and it'll work...

You'll Never Walk Alone

I can't reinstall either, the same error comes up when I try.

crazyanurag
I can't reinstall either, the same error comes up when I try.

did you try deleting the previous install and cleaning the registry? one (extreme) way to tackle this may be to format the drive in which you have the game loaded...

however, if you can't reinstall or uninstall, and looking at the error message, it seems like a problem with the InstallShield software and not with the game, per se...you could try going here to see if the support pages can shed a light on your problem...

You'll Never Walk Alone