2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

"Things will be different"

adamcs

Somebody here mentioned that GTAIV should have a really sh*tty car named The Thompson and it was down-right the most hideous car in the game. He also mentioned that when you jack the car you could say " I jacked a thompson."

Somebody here mentioned that GTAIV should have a really sh*tty car named The Thompson and it was down-right the most hideous car in the game. He also mentioned that when you jack the car you could say " I jacked a thompson."

To quote myself:

If there was a car named "thompson" in the game there would have to be a mission called "Jacking the Thompson".  Steal so-and-so's thompson and destroy it.

I didn't catch that other stuff, but shouldn't the tops be no darker than the left sides if the light source is from the top left and not just directly from the left? Or am I missing something?

Light is coming in from a few degrees clockwise from true left, and most of it is coming down from above. But, yea, it still wasn't perfect, because I kept the original palette from R*'s .gif. However, I've just modeled the logo in Max, lit, and rendered it (with a cleaner, centered gradient):

user posted image

If anyone wants them, here's a 1024x768 and 1280x960 version to use as dektops or something.

I've been thinking hard for a while about the "Things Will Be Different" wording.

I visualize a guy that you control. He is still standing on a street in a place like a city, and there are a ton of pedestrians walking about. Cars are going places, and people can be seen working or shopping inside buildings.

But then I had an idea. It was all I could think of...

Many of the people around you are being controlled by trained players that are paid by Rockstar Games to adequately perform the duties of certain characters you see in the world. The shopkeeper does not have AI...but rather real intelligence.

I have no idea why that came to me...perhaps because it is 1:00 a.m.

I've been thinking hard for a while about the "Things Will Be Different" wording.

I visualize a guy that you control. He is still standing on a street in a place like a city, and there are a ton of pedestrians walking about. Cars are going places, and people can be seen working or shopping inside buildings.

Many of the people around you are being controlled by trained players that are paid by Rockstar Games to adequately perform the duties of certain characters you see in the world. The shopkeeper does not have AI...but rather real intelligence.

yeah i think this time you will become the realy boss have your crew drive you around to pick money and sh*t or having the option to pick man or woman

That would be such a kick-ass job! wow.gif

Don't know if you're right on that one, but I could see it happening... But what if you pick a fight with someone; how would they be expected to react?

@Illy: Mad props on that one, looks snazzy. Did you send it to them?

lastmanonearth
I just hope that it is a difference that won't change GTA completely but will change it in a good way, like how GTA3 was way different from GTA2. That was a difference that really improved GTA and I am hoping that the change will be a groundbreaking feature that will change gaming forever just like GTA3. Lets hope the trailer shows how it will be different.

The thing is there aren't any more dimensions left to add. GTA3 was just GTA2 3D and without the respect meter and you couln't choose who to work for.

I wonder what this means. My initial opinion was that change is good, maybe the difference is it won't only be about stealing cars, but more like a version of the Sims maybe?

Whatever they have in mind must be mindblowingly awesome, so I'm not scared.

I didn't catch that other stuff, but shouldn't the tops be no darker than the left sides if the light source is from the top left and not just directly from the left?  Or am I missing something?

Light is coming in from a few degrees clockwise from true left, and most of it is coming down from above. But, yea, it still wasn't perfect, because I kept the original palette from R*'s .gif. However, I've just modeled the logo in Max, lit, and rendered it (with a cleaner, centered gradient):

user posted image

If anyone wants them, here's a 1024x768 and 1280x960 version to use as dektops or something.

Awesome, thanks Ill! You just couldn't let that thing go huh?lol.gif I know the feeling. Looks great man.

Slim Trashman

illspirit, nice work there *saves*

Jordan, that's definitely an idea, and I believe I've seen ideas similar and along those lines before, but there are a few problems with that. In order for that to work, players would need to have online access whenever they were playing, and from the way you put it, sounds like everyone playing the game would have the same exact world around them. "That guy over there is walking into that store" on everyone's GTA IV kind of thing.

Relating to this idea, perhaps Rockstar would put up new pedestrian paths, etc as downloadable content, then mix it with the rest so you will be getting more of a variety without live players.

lastmanonearth

One reason that can't happen unless GTA is multiplayer only - R* can't employ 1000 people for every one player. Maybe it'd be possible if GTA4 is MMORPG only, but then it'd be impossible to do missions.

Rockstar Gaming

"Things Will Be Different"

Do not be scared of this quote. It simply means that GTAIV will be different from the earlier installments in the GTAIII series. All us Rockstar boy's are working to the best of our ability to make GTAIV bigger than any game ever imagined so don't worry, it is a good thing.

- Rockstar Games

Edited by Rockstar Gaming

Do not be scared of this quote. It simply means that GTAIV will be different from the earlier installments in the GTAIII series. All us Rockstar boy's are working to the best of our ability to make GTAIV bigger than any game ever imagined so don't worry, it is a good thing.

- Rockstar Games

Are you telling me you're from Rockstar games? Prove it to us biggrin.gif Even if you're not, the game will be avesome so you just spent 5 minutes of you're life to tell us something we already know.

Rockstar Gaming

- Rockstar Games 

Are you telling me you're from Rockstar games? Prove it to us biggrin.gif Even if you're not, the game will be avesome so you just spent 5 minutes of you're life to tell us something we already know.

I am a new member of the Rockstar North committee and my job is too get ideas from the public too add into GTAIV and I was told this is the biggest GTA community. Please post your ideas and wishes in the forum wish list so we can get some ideas.

- Rockstar Games

- Rockstar Games 

I am a new member of the Rockstar North committee and my job is too get ideas from the public too add into GTAIV and I was told this is the biggest GTA community. Please post your ideas and wishes in the forum wish list so we can get some ideas.

- Rockstar Games

Go away. smile.gif

TheDude5000

- Rockstar Games 

- Rockstar Games

Go away. smile.gif

Dude you just told Houser to go away! What's the matter with you?

silvermanblue

SO if it is going to be that different, I wonder how far they will go to change it? Better yet how far is to far? Will they try somthing that will compleatly destroy the game, or revolutionize it? Well we will get an idea before to long! I just hope they don't get to carried away with new ideas.

Leone Family Mafia

ПРОПАГАНДА.ИНЦ, СИЛВЕРМАНБЛУЕ

Rockstar Gaming

- Rockstar Games 

- Rockstar Games

Go away. smile.gif

The name is "Bradley Trembath". Sam Houser is way too important too be doing my job.

- Rockstar Games

TheDude5000

- Rockstar Games 

- Rockstar Games

Go away. smile.gif

The name is "Bradley Trembath". Sam Houser is way too important too be doing my job.

- Rockstar Games

So they informed you about the Riffinger Project, yeah?

You wrote too instead of to. Twice. Also, wouldn't you be from Rockstar NY since the main office is there? Or Rockstar London.

Well whatever, keep pretending to be real, or be real. Just write on. Its atleast some entertainment for us biggrin.gif Or maybe you're that deepthroat guy.

UnitedDestruction

- Rockstar Games  

- Rockstar Games

lol, this is so f*cking stupid i cant help laughing. i find it hard to see rockstar saying "This is going to be better than any game ever imagined." EVARRR!!

Plus, its a little late to be getting ideas from the public isnt it? I mean sure, theyre probably adding stuff to the game, but after announcing it so long ago, theyd actually start taking ideas now? less than a week before the f*cking trailer is out? lmao, and the wishlist is there, to people to put their ideas in, we knew that before you said so. Plus, if rockstar was watching us, i doubt theyd join the forum just to let us know so, theyd probably want everyone to be acting normal, and submit ideas as if no one official was watching them. thanks for the laugh though, that was great

silvermanblue

Granted he might not work for rockstar but we have no proof he does or doesnt. So I think we should just let the guy believe he works there.

Leone Family Mafia

ПРОПАГАНДА.ИНЦ, СИЛВЕРМАНБЛУЕ

GTA3Freak-2001
You wrote too instead of to. Twice. Also, wouldn't you be from Rockstar NY since the main office is there? Or Rockstar London.

Well whatever, keep pretending to be real, or be real. Just write on. Its atleast some entertainment for us biggrin.gif Or maybe you're that deepthroat guy.

Going by his IP address Rockstar must have new Headquarters in Australia since that is where he's posting from.

Could this "Things will be different" thing be a hoax? I haven't recieved this email at all, yesterday or today (and R* doesn't do that sort of thing) and I even re-subscribed just to make sure and nothing has come through. And by the sounds of it neither has anyone else recieved it either.

There's just something suspicious about it all now that I think about it...

GTA3Freak-2001
Could this "Things will be different" thing be a hoax? I haven't recieved this email at all, yesterday or today (and R* doesn't do that sort of thing) and I even re-subscribed just to make sure and nothing has come through. And by the sounds of it neither has anyone else recieved it either.

There's just something suspicious about it all now that I think about it...

I got it, you should check your junk mail for it as that is where it sometimes gets sent by most spam filters.

This message does nothing than to make us boile harder than we`re already doing it.R* knows we are dieing to see the trailer & they`re just having fun watching us do that...

Is there anyone else who isn't the slightest bit surprised by this whole 'Things will be different' tag? I'm expecting things to be different, and I have ever since they announced that it was going to be GTA4 and that it was going to be exclusive to the next gen consoles. I'm fully expecting a GTA2 to GTA3 type of leap here. R* are going to change the series in ways that no one has even thought of yet.

But to all the people who have been like, 'oh this sounds bad, I dont like change, blah blah blah', you really dont realise how lucky you are. If GTA4 was exactly the same as GTA3 etc, except for a new setting and storyline, imagine how many people would complain about R* keeping things the same? And now people are complaing about R* saying that they are going to change things! Talk about not being able to please all the people all of the time...

R* know what they are doing, they wont let us down. Change is good. biggrin.gif