1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

game will not load

dragonfly_inc

Game won't load after installation and I have tried everything possible

Problem #11:

Vice City will not run after installation - instead, when clicking the icon to start, the Play CD spins and the pointer icon turns into a spinning-CD symbol, but the game never starts. (And the pointer may not go back to normal until restarting Windows.)

Computer Stats:

Platform: PC

Version Number: GTA: Vice City

CPU + Speed: Intel Celeron, 2400 Mhz

Operating System: Windows XP + Service pack 2

RAM: 384 DDR

Video Card: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE

Sound Card: Intel 82801DB

Direct X: 9.0

History of installation: Third Time

This is my third installation of the game (legal bought copy). First time I installed it, worked fine, un-installed the game because I had lost interest in it. Second time the game refused to run, and uninstalled it once more(also deleted the .set file). All drivers are updated and so forth.

Have carefully searched through the pinned bug list and the forum, and gone through every alternative that was there.

I appreciate any help.

Have you tried using a no CD crack to see if the game loads up then.

If that doesnt work, try mounting the game image in Daemon Tools (google search it).

• 1 month later...
Have you tried using a no CD crack to see if the game loads up then.

If that doesnt work, try mounting the game image in Daemon Tools (google search it).

What do you mean by a no CD crack? I've heard of it around the board, but have no clue what it is.

I've tried Daemon tools(still trying).

What do you mean by a no CD crack? I've heard of it around the board, but have no clue what it is.

Search Google for one. Links will not be provided here as they violate forum policy.

It might be that you game disc is damaged because of excessive scratches, so that's why Seddo rcommended a No-CD crack (when you are able to play the game without a disc). As for Daemon Tools, the image [.iso] creation process won't be successful if the disc has already corrupted data on it. Try following these advices below as well:

Problem #11:

Vice City will not run after installation - instead, when clicking the icon to start, the Play CD spins and the pointer icon turns into a spinning-CD symbol, but the game never starts (and the pointer may not go back to normal until restarting Windows).

Solution: End all running non-essential processes - whether it be an anti-virus, Window Blinds, whatever. This fix has also been reported to work by closing [email protected] and a startup program called "BigFix".

Alternatively: If you notice a new piece of hardware called "secdrv" attempting to install itself, Windows may be mistaking some software for hardware. Go to Device Manager and look for a big yellow question mark (indicating hardware with no driver). If one stands next to "secdrv", delete it.

Alternatively: Set the compatibility mode of the executable file to 'Windows 98'. Do so by: right-clicking gta-vc.exe (default: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe) -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', and select 'Windows 98 / Windows Me' from the drop-down menu. Apply, OK. And as pictures speak a thousand words, click here.

Alternatively: Instead of the original EXE, use a no CD crack. Note that providing links to any such cracks is strictly prohibited here at GTAForums.com.

Go to this page, and download only 1 of each of the three columns you see there (Graphics Driver / Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility / Intel® Application Accelerator). Download + Install them, and then relaunch Vice City.

I think it's just you smile.gif:

Problem #11:

Vice City will not run after installation - instead, when clicking the icon to start, the Play CD spins and the pointer icon turns into a spinning-CD symbol, but the game never starts. (And the pointer may not go back to normal until restarting Windows.)

And I hope he's following my advices...

hi i have a similar problem when i turn on the game and start a new or loaded game the bar loads to about 90% then stops so i exit out and it says gta-vc.exe is not responded i had mods but i deleted all of them from my har drive and disk and reinstalled the game a couple times but i ended up with the same result. sad.gif. i don't know if this helps but i have windows vista and have heard it has some problems. please can someone help????????

i thought "crack" was only for the "fake" cds?

i had a similar problem just the other day,but mine was a bit different. after i played and saved a mission,my computer would restart by itself,every 10 mins. :-(

but now,it's all good,a computer tech helped me out

colgate.gif

i thought "crack" was only for the "fake" cds?

Not at all. I use no-CD cracks for every game I can. Not only does it save the life of my optical drives, but it doesn't leave me waiting for it to spin up, often just to prove I have it. Think of it this way: The people who buy the game have to go through the hassle while those pirating it play straightaway. Reminds me of when XP came out and the pirates had no issues but those who bought it often reported not even having access to their own PC. Or worse.

@acriussarii: If the progress bar will not complete, it's always mods. You say you reinstalled, so that should fix that problem. I've never had to, so I'm not sure if uninstalling deletes all the files. If not, make sure you delete those too. One file that is NOT deleted is the SET file in My Documents. However, mods would not alter this file, hardware changes would. If you've had hardware changes since the last time the game ran, you would need to kill that file before reinstalling. If in fact Vista has issues with VC, that would be it's own topic both as it's different from this one and having a topic for everybody with Vista would just be beneficial.

...it also has a reason to crash at the progress bar when there are either missing or modded Vice City game data files. Uh, I forgot you mentioned this basically. yawn.gif

This is my third installation of the game (legal bought copy). First time I installed it, worked fine, un-installed the game because I had lost interest in it. Second time the game refused to run, and uninstalled it once more(also deleted the .set file). All drivers are updated and so forth.

One thing that forum members must do around here is to respond when a reply is given (if you have time and are sitting right beside your computer). I am pretty sure you didn't uninstall/reinstall the latest drivers correctly. Does the driver website I gave to you looks similar to what you downloaded? You should download all the 3 drivers in the different columns by the way; seems as though you didn't download the right one. Also, Seddo's advice was extremely good, maybe the time you didn't play Vice City, something happened to the disc. Anyway, the time that you were away from this thread -- is your problem already supposedly fixed? You should state whether or not it is fixed so that we don't waste time helping all day. Am assuming you didn't downloaded and tried a No-CD crack yet? Mounting the game image to a disc using Alcohol/Nero/CloneCD/Daemon Tools is good stuff, that way you have a copy of the original without any scratches (if successful). You should also inspect your disc, it's a pity that the bugfix list posted didn't help for you although for others. http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/download.php Now you can try using different combinations of 'gta-vc.exe' 1.0 / 1.1 versions.

In a case like this, this is what I would do to fix this problem:

1. Uninstall/Reinstall the game fully inside of Add/Remove Programs to get rid of leftover game files and registry entries. Delete any associated mods as well.
  2. Delete the main folder in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Vice City
  3. Delete [.set] file in "My Documents" -> "GTA User Files"
  4. Uninstall your Intel drivers, and restart computer.
  5. Get all 3 drivers Here
  6. Reinstall Vice City using a working CD.
  7. Once installation is successful. Apply a patch/No-CD crack (if desired) and restart computer.
  8. Launch the game in Windows 98/Me compatibility mode and see what happens.
Simply take the time and effort to do the above steps, and I can possibly "guarantee" it will work. Advices aren't considered bad or redundant unless the thread starter specifically states that it didn't help to solve his/her problem (assuming if he/she did exactly what was stated). Edited by Ring_of_Fire
  • 2 months later...
...it also has a reason to crash at the progress bar when there are either missing or modded Vice City game data files. Uh, I forgot you mentioned this basically. yawn.gif

One thing that forum members must do around here is to respond when a reply is given (if you have time and are sitting right beside your computer). I am pretty sure you didn't uninstall/reinstall the latest drivers correctly. Does the driver website I gave to you looks similar to what you downloaded? You should download all the 3 drivers in the different columns by the way; seems as though you didn't download the right one. Also, Seddo's advice was extremely good, maybe the time you didn't play Vice City, something happened to the disc. Anyway, the time that you were away from this thread -- is your problem already supposedly fixed? You should state whether or not it is fixed so that we don't waste time helping all day. Am assuming you didn't downloaded and tried a No-CD crack yet? Mounting the game image to a disc using Alcohol/Nero/CloneCD/Daemon Tools is good stuff, that way you have a copy of the original without any scratches (if successful). You should also inspect your disc, it's a pity that the bugfix list posted didn't help for you although for others. http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/download.php Now you can try using different combinations of 'gta-vc.exe' 1.0 / 1.1 versions.

In a case like this, this is what I would do to fix this problem:

1. Uninstall/Reinstall the game fully inside of Add/Remove Programs to get rid of leftover game files and registry entries. Delete any associated mods as well.
  2. Delete the main folder in C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Vice City
  3. Delete [.set] file in "My Documents" -> "GTA User Files"
  4. Uninstall your Intel drivers, and restart computer.
  5. Get all 3 drivers Here
  6. Reinstall Vice City using a working CD.
  7. Once installation is successful. Apply a patch/No-CD crack (if desired) and restart computer.
  8. Launch the game in Windows 98/Me compatibility mode and see what happens.
Simply take the time and effort to do the above steps, and I can possibly "guarantee" it will work. Advices aren't considered bad or redundant unless the thread starter specifically states that it didn't help to solve his/her problem (assuming if he/she did exactly what was stated).

I apologize for not responding sooner, but my computer just crashed recently and I've been trying to get it up and running.

A few moments ago I was able to play for a couple of minutes before it totally froze up. I think my problem is both the cd, and my cd-rom. I do appreciate the feedback and the help, and again apologize for not responging sooner.

-aingeal