• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kippers

• gamesguru

• Flesh-n-Bone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Craig Mack    

Mate, if something is made in 2017, it's modern. Are you seriously going to say Funk that sounds like it's from the 70's but is made in 2017 isn't modern? What you call "Modern Rap" isn't even Rap or

• 2 weeks later...
Candy_Licker

Bay Area legend Berner already with 3 (collabo) albums this year - not bad for a guy who is constantly expanding his cannabis empire and treats rap as a hobby. Though his latest B-Real collabo album was weaker than his previous projects with Dr. Greenthumb. Still, this guy is a machine.

Funny how barely any1 knows Berner but they all know Wiz.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
SonofLosSantos

• Like 1
Mister Pink
On 12/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, Funktipus said:

R.I.P. to John Fletcher of the legendary rap group Whodini;

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/whodini-john-fletcher-dead-1107571/

So many people passing lately. It's depressing. I wasn't familiar with Whodini, except for Freaks Come Out at Night, which is a classic. I thought it was one guy. 

Seems all the YouTuber reactors are noticing the mastery of the Beastie Boys. Been listening to tracks of Licensed to Ill. While Paul Revere was never my favourite, it's certainly grown on me. Licensed To Ill was my second Beastie Boys record I ever bought after Hello Nasty. Many days were spent listening to this after school in the 90's. The album was probably about 14 years old all ready at that time, when I discovered it (which doesn't seem like that old now but it was definitely of another universe for me, even though it was just the decade before. Time is mental. 

SonofLosSantos
On 1/4/2021 at 3:29 PM, Mister Pink said:

So many people passing lately. It's depressing. I wasn't familiar with Whodini, except for Freaks Come Out at Night, which is a classic. I thought it was one guy. 

Seems all the YouTuber reactors are noticing the mastery of the Beastie Boys. Been listening to tracks of Licensed to Ill. While Paul Revere was never my favourite, it's certainly grown on me. Licensed To Ill was my second Beastie Boys record I ever bought after Hello Nasty. Many days were spent listening to this after school in the 90's. The album was probably about 14 years old all ready at that time, when I discovered it (which doesn't seem like that old now but it was definitely of another universe for me, even though it was just the decade before. Time is mental. 

this is the first time I heard this song. Did this come out before EAZY E’s boy n da hood? It sounds really similar.

• Like 1
Mister Pink
11 hours ago, SonofLosSantos said:

this is the first time I heard this song. Did this come out before EAZY E’s boy n da hood? It sounds really similar.

Yeah, it's of Licensed to Ill album, the one that Eminem's Kamazkaze pays homage to. It came out in 1986 and was recorded over '84/'85. Produced by Rick Rubin when he was still at Def Jam. 

Maybe it sounds familiar to you because NWA used to do a version of Paul Revere by Beastie Boys. They were big fans. Also it's another song from that same album that's sampled on Boyz N Da Hood called Hold In Now Hit It, or they both went to the origin for the "Yo, leroy" sample.  Eazy-E has actually sampled them a few times. 

The guitar stab at around 0.50 is one example of the sample that might sound familiar.  I think it's the same guitar stab in Boyz N Da Hood (time-stamped) just at a different pitch. 

Here's that guitar stab again.. pretty prominent throughout the track.. (and you also here the synth-horn sample from L.A. is The Place in the chorus of this).

I love the art of sampling and tracing things back. I'm also glad NWA/Yella/Dre were fans of the Beastie Boys. I find Beastie Boys production a cut above the rest. It's so layered and sample rich that listening to other stuff the time seems simple and minimal. OK, so Licenced to Ill sits in this weird place where it sounds simple but is actually quite rich but it's their first Hip Hop album. Subsequent albums they really went all out on heavy production and samples. 

The Jimi Hendrix samples on this.. 

• 2 weeks later...
-7-

Listening to this project from the 2000s again, I remember downloading because it was an online exclusive, and playing the album on my CD player.

Rhoda

I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming album from Four Tet and Madlib, Sound Ancestors, and after doing some exploring I found out that Madlib actually released a 13th instalment to his Medicine Show series, and can be found on his Bandcamp. I don't think he announced this with much fanfare, and considering the gap between 12 and 13, you could be forgiven for assuming the series had come to a close.

GhettoJesus

Might as well share this gem, discovered it a couple of months ago, views are pretty low so I guess it's somewhat obscure. Great track though.