3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Scarface187

The New Guitar Topic

TheJonesy
Maybe get some heavier strings, .10s would give you a thicker sound than .08s, or else check your tuning, maybe you should be in Drop D.

I prefer the regular setting, though. But I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

But strings should sound correct regardless off tuning, right? My higher strings sound fine, but the heavier strings sound really horrible. Maybe I put my strings on wrong, I don't know!

ThaddeusMcKlown

Take a picture.

AFAIK, string gauge should NOT affect the sound... only a tiny bit.

Your best bet is just to put on .10s, because .8s are too fragile anyway.

PCJ.

Besides affecting the action, a change in tension may also affect the sound (sustain and tone). Some players may choose to increase the string gauge on their instrument to experiment with volume and sustain.  A common complaint when using very light or extra light gauge strings is a loss of volume, sustain and a thin or twangy sound.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringchoice.htm

TheJonesy

Ahh...that helps a little. My guitar sounds better when it is amplified, they just don't sound that great when not. But thanx you guys! biggrin.gif

Scratch that...

I feel stupid now cause I just replaced my battery on my tuner, since it was dead, I my guitar was sooooooo badly tuned. My strings didn't sound right because my 3 heavier strings were hardly in-tune. My batteries were so low on my tuner that is problem why they weren't in tune.

Thanx for all the advice, but the only advice I need is common sense! Ha ha ha, cheers! biggrin.gif

Edited by TheJonesy

Canoxa

I might be getting a new guitar soon. I'm close to cutting a deal for a second hand guitar.

'98 Cort Solo (discontinued model)

Natural finish

Planet Waves machine heads

Schaller floating bridge

Mighty Mite Motherbuckers w/ coil split

+ hard case, strap and strap locks for 300€.

TheJonesy

I was shopping the other day and found this guitar that I absolutely love. At first I wanted either a Les Paul or SG [you may remember me asking]. So I decided to try out some Ibanez cause I'm a Satriani fan. It was a black Ibanez S-series (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called). It looked like this!

I really dig the tremolo along with the pick-ups. Although it sounded great on a 50W Marshall amp, I'll have to see what it's like on mine.

ThaddeusMcKlown
I was shopping the other day and found this guitar that I absolutely love. At first I wanted either a Les Paul or SG [you may remember me asking]. So I decided to try out some Ibanez cause I'm a Satriani fan. It was a black Ibanez S-series (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called). It looked like this!

I really dig the tremolo along with the pick-ups. Although it sounded great on a 50W Marshall amp, I'll have to see what it's like on mine.

user posted image

wink.gifwink.gif

((afterthought - dear god, it's time for a polishing nervous.gif ))

I know this guitar inside and out, if you want any info about it PM me.

It's a fantastic guitar.

For a really, really great sound, throw some EMG's in there.

vacuumo
I might be getting a new guitar soon. I'm close to cutting a deal for a second hand guitar.

'98 Cort Solo (discontinued model)

Natural finish

Planet Waves machine heads

Schaller floating bridge

Mighty Mite Motherbuckers w/ coil split

+ hard case, strap and strap locks for 300€.

Why would you buy a Cort? Why would you buy ANY Cort? You might want to rethink that. Six hundred for a used Cort, honestly.

Drop EMGs in a guitar if you want your guitar to sound like it has EMGs in it.

lesfleanut
Ahh...that helps a little. My guitar sounds better when it is amplified, they just don't sound that great when not. But thanx you guys! biggrin.gif

Scratch that...

I feel stupid now cause I just replaced my battery on my tuner, since it was dead, I my guitar was sooooooo badly tuned. My strings didn't sound right because my 3 heavier strings were hardly in-tune. My batteries were so low on my tuner that is problem why they weren't in tune.

Thanx for all the advice, but the only advice I need is common sense! Ha ha ha, cheers! biggrin.gif

For future use, the dial tone in any telephone is A.

TheJonesy

Scratch that...

For future use, the dial tone in any telephone is A.

Huh?

PCJ.

The dial tone is an A, therefore you have a true note to tune the A string. From having one string in perfect tune you are able to tune all others. You don't need a tuner.

TDP992
The dial tone is an A, therefore you have a true note to tune the A string. From having one string in perfect tune you are able to tune all others. You don't need a tuner.

Damn, that's pretty cool, I never knew that.

ThaddeusMcKlown

Damn, that's pretty cool, I never knew that.

Huh, neither did I.

Car horns are in F.

TheJonesy

Oooooooooh....I don't know how to do that. But I usually use my tuner! I knew that you could tune without an actual tuner, but I didn't know how.

I was trying out these pedals at GC and I really like the bluesy/jazzy vintage sound of the MXR Distortion III pedal, the one I mentioned before. But the "umph" (actual distortion) was weak. So this guy recommended me to use an overdrive such as the MXR Zakk Wylde pedal. With both of them on, the sound was awesome. But the sound was too bluesy for me. I'm trying to veer away from blues cause I wanna play something different. That is why I will prolly get the Boss DS-1 that someone recommended to me. It's gritty but still not too "death metal" for me.

ThaddeusMcKlown

I have the DS-1.

It's a great pedal (built like a tank) but it's sound is finicky at times.

To get a decent sort of Marshall-esque crunch, I turn down the tone then roll off the tone knob on my SG... then again, an SG is a bright-sounding guitar to begin with.

The problem with the DS-1 is that, as we all know, mid-frequencies are the most important for distortion pedals. It doesn't have much bass and it doesn't have much mids, resulting in a very buzzsaw-like distortion.

PCJ.

If no ones heard of it before, I'll explain it in a little more depth then. The 5th fret on the low E should ring an A, 5th on the A string a D, 5th on the D ring a G, 4th fret on the G rings B and 5th fret on the B string rings a high E. Each is the note the string above should ring open.

Once you have one string in perfect tune, in this case using a Telephone dial tone, so that the A string ring at the same note as the dial tone, by holding the 5th fret on the Low E string and tuning so that is ring at the same note as the A string, you will tune it to an E. Holding the 5th fret on the A and tuning the D string to the same note tunes the d string to a D. Then work your way up in the same manner, using the frets I mentioned above.

But if you have a tuner on hand, its probably a whole lot easier to use that.

TheJonesy

I have the DS-1.

To get a decent sort of Marshall-esque crunch, I turn down the tone then roll off the tone knob on my SG... then again, an SG is a bright-sounding guitar to begin with.

The problem with the DS-1 is that, as we all know, mid-frequencies are the most important for distortion pedals. It doesn't have much bass and it doesn't have much mids, resulting in a very buzzsaw-like distortion.

Could you just use another distortion pedal that has more base in it, but won't ruin the tone?

BTW, thanx a lot PCJ! icon14.gif That'll come in handy when I don't have any batteries!

ThaddeusMcKlown
I have the DS-1.

Could you just use another distortion pedal that has more base in it, but won't ruin the tone?

BTW, thanx a lot PCJ! icon14.gif That'll come in handy when I don't have any batteries!

Nah, I try never to mix distortion pedals.

Besides, there's no such thing as a good distortion pedal.

Amp distortion FTW icon14.gif

TheJonesy

Aight then! My distortion on my amp is alright. I just don't really like my "guitar style". I know scales and chords and techniques such as pinch harmonics and stuff, but the way I play and improv sucks!

XN22

Try a different style then. tounge.gif

ThaddeusMcKlown
Aight then! My distortion on my amp is alright. I just don't really like my "guitar style". I know scales and chords and techniques such as pinch harmonics and stuff, but the way I play and improv sucks!

The way I learned improv:

I just took scales and wrote licks based off them. I then memorized those licks then figured out transitions based on them.

It's an easy way to break into improv icon14.gif

TheJonesy

The way I learned improv:

I just took scales and wrote licks based off them. I then memorized those licks then figured out transitions based on them.

It's an easy way to break into improv icon14.gif

I might try to play more tab aswell. I usually "play around" more than actually reading music and playing a song. I think I need to be more comfortable with the whole neck cause I'll improv with one scale and stay in the same area.

@ XN22- It ain't so easy to just suddenly change...

XN22

sh*t, I've done it. Not really that hard to change.

ThaddeusMcKlown

Me too.

I used to play all thrash and death metal kinda stuff. Yeah, on a Gibson.

Then I got into rock (Buckcherry, Bulelts and Octane, Velvet Revolver, sh*t like that).

Now I do blues soloing and such, and rock-oriented songs.

The key is to be diverse enough. You'll learn how to change over quickly soon enough.

nabo45

Hi, i know i just bought a new Ibanez SA260FM, but i won the lottery and i want a new guitar (again) and i'm gonna need it to play some 80's kind a metal like Megadeth and sh*t like that, so what can you advise me to buy, and i also want a new amp, so please let me know what i should get...

ThaddeusMcKlown
Hi, i know i just bought a new Ibanez SA260FM, but i won the lottery and i want a new guitar (again) and i'm gonna need it to play some 80's kind a metal like Megadeth and sh*t like that, so what can you advise me to buy, and i also want a new amp, so please let me know what i should get...

You won the f*cking lottery?

You should buy ME a Wizard 100, a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100, a Krank Revolution and a Mako Dorado 100.

In all seriousness, though; check every one of those amps. 'Specially the Mako if you won the lottery... theyre handmade boutique amps.

nabo45

Yes, yes i did i only won about 1.500$ USD tho (sorry if i didnt make my self clear blush.gif ), so do you think i can get a proper guitar for those money? and if possible can i get a foot pedal?

TheJonesy

Yes, yes i did i only won about 1.500$ USD tho (sorry if i didnt make my self clear blush.gif ), so do you think i can get a proper guitar for those money? and if possible can i get a foot pedal?

Well, Ibanez's can be quite crafty with the style that you want. I'm not really sure as to what guitar you should get.

As for amps, I don't know. I would check in to guitarcenter.com and check out some amps within your price range and when you get there, you know what to look for.

@ Thad and XN22- I'm not sure as to what style I want. I play a little blues, but I don't really want to. But I am just a beginner, so I can't really play metal like Megadeth or Shadow's Fall or anything of that sort. I've only been playing for a year.

ThaddeusMcKlown

@Jonesy: Don't sweat it, man. Just find a style that YOU like to hear and play and play that. Simple.

@nabo: I'm going to say something that you're not going to like. Don't ever, EVER confine yourself to a budget when it comes to gear... find a piece that you really like, and make it happen. Get a job, save some cash, whatever. Trust me, if you say "well I'm only going to spend $500, the amp I really want is more but I'll live with this one" 6 months down the road you're going to be kicking yourself.

Just find a piece of gear that you really, really want, THEN worry about how to pay for it.

Guglielminpietro
Besides, there's no such thing as a good distortion pedal.

nervous.gif Big Muff!