3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Scarface187

The New Guitar Topic

vacuumo
I'm fairly sure the EVH model has true by-pass whereas the standard Phase 90 doesn't. Or maybe it's the other way around...

reaper x550

acoustics were not ment for slipknot.

I snaped the E string and got my eye wink.gif

Bobesz

Here's and old pic of my guitar, it's a Fender Squire Bullet Strat.

user posted image

I've been playing for about a year, and i'm pretty good in rhytm, but i can't solo for sh*t(i can only play some basic stuff). Anyone has any advices or some lessons for soloing?

TheJonesy
Here's and old pic of my guitar, it's a Fender Squire Bullet Strat.

user posted image

I've been playing for about a year, and i'm pretty good in rhytm, but i can't solo for sh*t(i can only play some basic stuff). Anyone has any advices or some lessons for soloing?

In my opinion, a great way to improve on soloing is to actually play solos of songs or at least study the structure of it. Many solos are just fooling around on scales, preferably the Pentatonic scale. I would look into blues guitarists of the 70's. One good example is Angus Young. His guitar style isn't amazingly fast, but the tone and structure is genious.

Besides that, I don't know anything else. Just practice fooling around and learn some techniques like pinch harmonics, palm mutes, tapping, and alternating strumming techniques.

But what do I know. I have been playin' what you play for probably as long as you do. But doing this helped me out a little.

:RiOT:

So, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Gretsch guitars? I've had my eye on this one for a while http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gre...kups?sku=513282

I've always loved the twangy sound of a Gretsch, they're some of the sweetest sounding guitars imo. I'm just don't want to spend $600 on a guitar that woouldn't suit my playing style. I mostly play punk, and a little bit of rockabilly here and there. Would this guitar suit me well? Currently I have a Schecter.

vacuumo
So, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Gretsch guitars? I've had my eye on this one for a while http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gre...kups?sku=513282

I've always loved the twangy sound of a Gretsch, they're some of the sweetest sounding guitars imo. I'm just don't want to spend $600 on a guitar that woouldn't suit my playing style. I mostly play punk, and a little bit of rockabilly here and there. Would this guitar suit me well? Currently I have a Schecter.

Rockabilly, of course it would. The $500 price tag's got me scratching my head, though.

TheJonesy

The "twang" and quality of the guitar along with the not too expensive price is fine. There are a ton of punk bands now that use guitars similar, if not that, one. I am no expert on guitars, the thing that worries me is its size. I have never actually held one, but I heard it can be quite a burden.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my question:

I am planning to get a new guitar. In your opinions, which one would be better; a Les Paul or EP SG?

[They both have equivalent prices and both include humbuckers.]

TDP992

I've been playing for seven years and all I have is a crappy 5 year old Squire. I'm finally getting a new guitar sometime this summer, so any suggestions of what I should get somewhere in the $500 price range?

TheJonesy
I've been playing for seven years and all I have is a crappy 5 year old Squire. I'm finally getting a new guitar sometime this summer, so any suggestions of what I should get somewhere in the $500 price range?

Well...it depends what sound/tone you are looking for. If you are a hard, metal-man then you want to look for something like B. C. & Rich or even Ibanez. If you are more bluesy or jazzy then you want a solid body guitar like an SG, Les Paul or a better Fender.

As for a model, get the color you want and see if it "fits". If you like the feel and are comfortable with its sound, get it.

TDP992

Well...it depends what sound/tone you are looking for. If you are a hard, metal-man then you want to look for something like B. C. & Rich or even Ibanez. If you are more bluesy or jazzy then you want a solid body guitar like an SG, Les Paul or a better Fender.

As for a model, get the color you want and see if it "fits". If you like the feel and are comfortable with its sound, get it.

Thanks Jonesy, I'm definitely the metal type. tounge.gif Right now I'm thinking of getting something in the Ibanez RG series. Specifically this one:

user posted image

It's an RG4EXQM1 and I think it looks pretty good for $450. I love the paint job, and I'm thinking the bridge on it is looking pretty nice as well. I also hear it has great pickups, which are non-existent on my current guitar.

ThaddeusMcKlown

The "twang" and quality of the guitar along with the not too expensive price is fine. There are a ton of punk bands now that use guitars similar, if not that, one. I am no expert on guitars, the thing that worries me is its size. I have never actually held one, but I heard it can be quite a burden.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my question:

I am planning to get a new guitar. In your opinions, which one would be better; a Les Paul or EP SG?

SG > Les Paul IMHO.

Perhaps it's because I have one.

If you're talking Gibson, really they're the same in terms of playability, but the SG is brighter sounding... something I was always at odds with when playing in my old metal band.

@TDP992: Hmm. I can't seem to find a page on Ibanez's website with it. Musician's Friend has it/URL], however. It says its got the Wizard II neck - I have that neck on my S520EX - it is a GREAT neck for metal. Perfect neck, IMO. I had the INF pickups, but I swapped them out for EMG 81/85, which made a NICE improvement to the sound of the guitar. I've never played the model in question but it seems to be a nice axe icon14.gif

vacuumo
As for my question:

They're two different guitars. The SG has a different (and lower) heel than the Les Paul which means easier upper fret access whereas the Les Paul's heel is bulky as hell. I think the shape and radius are the same and the scale length is definitely the same... SGs also don't have the carved maple caps like Les Pauls, it's just the mahogany body.

But we're talking Gibson here and while my Les Paul arrived in tip top shape with absolutely nothing wrong I've heard some quality control horror stories so watch out. Coming up on three years of ownership now, the only thing wrong I've found is that the neck tone pot is f*cked up and doesn't work too well but for all I know it's always been like that.

I hate having to repeat it over and over but for the love of god go out and try a few of each.

Obey

I play an Ibanez RG 320 fm, saving up for an ESP, or another Ibanez RG, they're godly, perfect neck. and also have a starter strat and an old broken acoustic. I play through a Marshall MG 50 and a Boss metal Zone, pretty versitile pedal, i can get endless sounds from it, and it pretty much indestructable. I've been playin 2 and a half years and have been writing my own music seriously for about a year and a half. My favourite guitarists are Buckethead, Tony Iommi, Rand Rhoads, Satch, Alexi Laiho. viddy_pirate.gif

Edited by Obey

Smith990

My favourite guitarists is

Kirk Hammett

James Hetfield (and his vocal too)

Ritchie Blackmore

Jimi Hendrix

Joe Satriani

Santana

TheJonesy
As for my question:

They're two different guitars. The SG has a different (and lower) heel than the Les Paul which means easier upper fret access whereas the Les Paul's heel is bulky as hell. I think the shape and radius are the same and the scale length is definitely the same... SGs also don't have the carved maple caps like Les Pauls, it's just the mahogany body.

But we're talking Gibson here and while my Les Paul arrived in tip top shape with absolutely nothing wrong I've heard some quality control horror stories so watch out. Coming up on three years of ownership now, the only thing wrong I've found is that the neck tone pot is f*cked up and doesn't work too well but for all I know it's always been like that.

I hate having to repeat it over and over but for the love of god go out and try a few of each.

I have already tried them out. I like them equally. The shape and stuff isn't really a matter of decision. I don't know if one of them sound better with this or that or if there are mechanical problems or such.

Afro_Painguin

Yay for guitar topics!!!

My favorite guitarists are:

Jimmy Page

Randy Rhoads

Eddy Van Halen

Joe Satriani

Jimi Hendrix

I could go on and on though...

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic guitar (I have four other guitars but this is my baby.)

B-52 AT-100 half-stack

Line 6 Flextone III

A couple of low end acoustics

I've been playing guitar for about four years now and I recently started taking classical lessons. My teacher is so unbelievably good, it's almost depressing. nervous.gif

What kind of music does everyone play?

TheJonesy
Yay for guitar topics!!!

My favorite guitarists are:

Jimmy Page

Randy Rhoads

Eddy Van Halen

Joe Satriani

Jimi Hendrix

I could go on and on though...

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic guitar (I have four other guitars but this is my baby.)

B-52 AT-100 half-stack

Line 6 Flextone III

A couple of low end acoustics

I've been playing guitar for about four years now and I recently started taking classical lessons. My teacher is so unbelievably good, it's almost depressing. nervous.gif

What kind of music does everyone play?

I take lessons as well. I take them every-other-Monday. See when I practice and stuff, I feel confident and can't wait to show my teacher how I've improved and then you feel depressed cause he just out shreds you and you should wanna slam that guitar in his face, ha ha ha!

But most of the people here that play guitar play rock, obviously. I play stuff like AC/DC and anything similar to it. I also work on Van Halen and other things like Clapton and Joe Satriani aswell.

XN22

I've been dabbling into black metal as of late, gonna get a bass and start some jazz soon though.

TheJonesy
I've been dabbling into black metal as of late, gonna get a bass and start some jazz soon though.

For the school year coming up, I have joined my school's jazz band. It will freshen up my skillz, make me actually wanna practice and put some jazz style into my own personal style aswell.

damonf888

I got an '83 japanese strat my dad gave me it he doesn't play anymore he bought it off the guitarist in a band... Tuesday Blue anyone?

Sepultura

Whats up guys, ive been playing for 6 years and i mainly play metal. my axes include

A Dan Jacobs DJ-600 LTD

An ESP Alexi Laiho V

A Jackson Soloist

A Dean Razorback Explosion

And a Jackson Warrior With a EMG 81/85 picup set

I used to have a Dean vendetta when i first started but i sold that a while ago

reaper x550

Just wondering if anyone here can play "Laid To Rest" by Lamb of god.

I'm looking for some tips, I'm only just slower then the recording.

Afro_Painguin

Well if you can't play it up to speed yet, than I wouldn't try and rush it. If it starts to get sloppy the faster you play it then I'd cut the speed back a little bit.

That's the kind of song where you just have to keep playing it over and over to get it down perfectly.

Obey
I recently bought myself a Marshall 30MGdfx, not dissimilar to this one:

user posted image

I've heard good and bad things about them in equal measure I think. I'm fairly pleased with it so far.

smile.gif

I've owned that amp for about 2 year now, and its unbelievably reliable, but i'm starting to get sick of it, i'm lookin to buy a peavy valve king

reaper x550
Well if you can't play it up to speed yet, than I wouldn't try and rush it. If it starts to get sloppy the faster you play it then I'd cut the speed back a little bit.

That's the kind of song where you just have to keep playing it over and over to get it down perfectly.

Hmm, Alright, thanks.

I can't play at the moment though, seriously sore fingers, ha ha

Brutuz

Today, I got a new Epiphone SG, heres a pic of it

user posted image

Pretty good, and cheap, only problem was the Jack kept coming loose (The nut bit kept getting unscrewed) but I fixed that with a Wrench and some new, better washers.

Sounds Pretty good, but my Amp is a Piece of sh*t so I'll be getting a new amp soon, It defiantly sounded way better at the shop with their Amp and Lead.

TheJonesy

Today, I got a new Epiphone SG, heres a pic of it

user posted image

Pretty good, and cheap, only problem was the Jack kept coming loose (The nut bit kept getting unscrewed) but I fixed that with a Wrench and some new, better washers.

Sounds Pretty good, but my Amp is a Piece of sh*t so I'll be getting a new amp soon, It defiantly sounded way better at the shop with their Amp and Lead.

That is a pretty nice guitar and I too have Jack problems. I just have to make sure to tighten it now and then. Like my teacher says, "Always make sure you have your nut!"

Can someone help me with a problem. I just changed my strings not too long ago. I used Ernie Ball, not sure what size (I think .08). Anyway, whenever I try to play a power chord or even an E chord, it sounds crappy. My E, A and D strings don't sound like what they are suppose to sound like. I'm not sure what's wrong...

PCJ.

Maybe get some heavier strings, .10s would give you a thicker sound than .08s, or else check your tuning, maybe you should be in Drop D.

TheJonesy
Maybe get some heavier strings, .10s would give you a thicker sound than .08s, or else check your tuning, maybe you should be in Drop D.

I prefer the regular setting, though. But I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

ThaddeusMcKlown
I recently bought myself a Marshall 30MGdfx, not dissimilar to this one:

user posted image

I've heard good and bad things about them in equal measure I think. I'm fairly pleased with it so far.

smile.gif

I've owned that amp for about 2 year now, and its unbelievably reliable, but i'm starting to get sick of it, i'm lookin to buy a peavy valve king

Of course it's reliable, that's what solid state amps are for.

They also sound like sh*t.

The less reliable, the better it sounds. This is because the components that make tube amps sound so good aren't reliable.

As for the nut thing, be careful not to tighten it too much; on some guitars this can permanently ruin the jack... however, on an SG, you should be fine.