3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Scarface187

The New Guitar Topic

ThaddeusMcKlown

Can someone tell me more about Ernie Ball Slinky guitar strings?

I've heard good things about them, but I'm not sure if I should go out and buy some.

(Finally broke a string today, totally got stabbed by it too.)

Yeah, Ernie Ball's are really good.

By far the best string changing tutorial out there.

Yeah, I'm going to Guitar center today.... here's the choices!

Marshall JCM200 TSL 100 - nice amp head. The only hting I'm worried about is if i can get the saturated distortion I need. The amp's nice, though.

Mesa Single Rectifier - never treid one of these. Gonna try it today. The Dual Recto was a bit too heavy for my tastes.

Diezel Einstein - the king of high gain boutique amps. I'd buy this one purely on name. I doubt it, though.

Mako Custom 100 Watt - sounds great from the soundclips, but it takes 6 months to get one, and I doubt I can wait that long.

Anyone ever play a Diamond amp?

vacuumo

The only two things I really swear by when it comes to playing are Ernie Ball 10s and Dunlop 2.0mm Gator Grips. Nothing else compares.

Incidentally, I've got to go to Guitar Center to restock on Gator Grips. I also plan on picking up a set of 11s for my Danelectro which will hopefully go well.

guitarrocker

I've used Slinky's, but I still prefer the Dean Markley's. Maybe I will try Earnie Ball strings again soon, my Markly's are getting a little rust on them. (This is coming from someone who changes strings every three weeks or so.)

ThaddeusMcKlown
I've used Slinky's, but I still prefer the Dean Markley's. Maybe I will try Earnie Ball strings again soon, my Markly's are getting a little rust on them. (This is coming from someone who changes strings every three weeks or so.)

I used to do that, until I got a second guitar. Now I can get away with changing them every 5 or 6 weeks. Esp. now that my mom finally understands that if I keep my air conditioner on all day, it dehumidifies the room, which means I have to change strings less often, thereby saving her money... or so she thinks.

Tried out a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 today... nice amp indeed. I'm gonna hafta compare that and the JCM2000 TSL100 side by side... Also tried a Mesa Dual Recto... is it just me or are Mesa's either very overrated or demonically overpriced?

lesfleanut
is it just me or are Mesa's either very overrated or demonically overpriced?

They have the greatest distortion ever, and the worst clean tone.

ThaddeusMcKlown

They do have an absolutely mind-blowing metal distortion, but I felt they had pretty much no versatility.

That being said, most stores will NOT come down on the price of them - which is why I think that they're overpriced - the Guitar Center I was at came down close to $300 on a comparable Marshall, but wouldn't budge on the Mesa.

vacuumo
I spied with my eyes a few nice Fender Twins at Guitar Center today. If only I had the money. There'll always be Fender Twins to be found, though. I keep kicking myself over letting that lefty Burns Red Special slip through my fingers.

guitarrocker

They do have an absolutely mind-blowing metal distortion, but I felt they had pretty much no versatility.

That being said, most stores will NOT come down on the price of them - which is why I think that they're overpriced - the Guitar Center I was at came down close to $300 on a comparable Marshall, but wouldn't budge on the Mesa.

Mesas sound nice, but there is no tone outside of distortion, and the price is just insane for them. I'm a person who doesn't like to spend too much money on amps now that good tone can be had through nice pedals. I'm thinking about getting the Distortus Maximus pedal to get some extra gain. Anybody ever try one?

ThaddeusMcKlown

Mesas sound nice, but there is no tone outside of distortion, and the price is just insane for them. I'm a person who doesn't like to spend too much money on amps now that good tone can be had through nice pedals. I'm thinking about getting the Distortus Maximus pedal to get some extra gain. Anybody ever try one?

Yeah, no Mesa for me.

Gonna get a Marshall DSL. Not as feature-loaded as the TSL, but a better tone machine.

Now to pick it up! I think I'll be picking it up maybe at the end of the week, or maybe early next week... which makes me happy inlove.gifinlove.gif

Deuce Deuce

Favorite guitarists:

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

Michael Angelo

Yngwie Malmsteem

John Petrucci

James Hetfield

And plenty more.. those are all I can think of from the top of my head.

Gear: Well I own two guitars; a bright yellow and black (very rare colour) Ibanez RG 550 which I've had for years and is still in great condition. A very good guitar to shred, sweep and play thrash and metal on. My other guitar is a blue Ibanez RG 270. It's not the best of Ibanez's, but it serves me well. I needed a second one to play down-tuned songs.

I also got a Marshall vs265 amp in purple.

Black-hawk

Recently bought this:

user posted image

It's Höhner Hrg Std (har har). Not the most expensive thing in town, but I'm just learning the basics.

Also, do you guys know any good websites with tutorials? I've found a couple of good ones, but more info wouldn't hurt.

ThaddeusMcKlown
James Hetfield

Pssh. James Hetfield is nothing. Kirk Hammett MADE Metallica... and then Ulrich UNMADE Metallica.

@Black-Hawk: Congrats on the new axe.

Links: These are a bunch o helpful links in no order at all:

http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/index.htm

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa121301a.htm

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

If you have any questions, PM me. I'll help ya out.

TheJonesy

I own a Peavey Raptor (black) and a tiny 15 watt Kustom amp. That is about the most sh*tty thing you can have. Distortion is horrible and they are two basic sounds plus has no versatality what-so-ever.

Well, the only reason I own this is because I am a beginner. I have only been playing for about a year...

I hope to get Epiphone (Gibson SG look-a-like) and a Line 6 Spider III amp, which is nice yet in a decent price range. Maybe even a MXR Distortion III pedal (Great Vintage sound).

Fav Guitarists: [Convieniently had a Guitar World issue about 'em]

-Angus Young

-Tony Iommi

-Jimmy Page

Guglielminpietro

I recently bought myself a Marshall 30MGdfx, not dissimilar to this one:

user posted image

I've heard good and bad things about them in equal measure I think. I'm fairly pleased with it so far.

smile.gif

ThaddeusMcKlown
I hope to get Epiphone (Gibson SG look-a-like) and a Line 6 Spider III amp, which is nice yet in a decent price range. Maybe even a MXR Distortion III pedal (Great Vintage sound).

Epi's are nice... But Line 6 amps are horrible IMO. Too buzzy, thin distortion.... maybe I am getting tube-spoiled tounge.gif I do have a MXR Distortion +, which is quite nice; albeit a bit expensive, IIRC it was $100.

Anyone here ever use an attenuator? I might need one to cut the power of my half stack.

TheJonesy

Epi's are nice... But Line 6 amps are horrible IMO. Too buzzy, thin distortion.... maybe I am getting tube-spoiled tounge.gif I do have a MXR Distortion +, which is quite nice; albeit a bit expensive, IIRC it was $100.

Anyone here ever use an attenuator? I might need one to cut the power of my half stack.

The only reason I want one is because it has a phaser...ha ha! You're a more experienced guitarist, so I'll take your opinion seriously. If you can give me some advice on the best (and no too expensive) amps, that would be appreciatted!

Anyway, MXR Distortion III is around $150, so I guess that's not too bad. Although I like the whole 70's-vintage sound, I still want a little more "crunch" with it. You know anything that has a vintage sound, but has some modernized tone to it aswell?

ThaddeusMcKlown

The only reason I want one is because it has a phaser...ha ha! You're a more experienced guitarist, so I'll take your opinion seriously. If you can give me some advice on the best (and no too expensive) amps, that would be appreciatted!

Anyway, MXR Distortion III is around $150, so I guess that's not too bad. Although I like the whole 70's-vintage sound, I still want a little more "crunch" with it. You know anything that has a vintage sound, but has some modernized tone to it aswell?

Eh, I never found a use for a phaser.

The only song I like with one is Buckcherry's "For The Movies".

As for Dist. pedals, check out the Boss DS-1 and OD-1. both are quite nice. The DigiTech Hot Head is nice as well.

As for cheap amps, I don't know. Crates are good and cheap, and some of the cheaper Marshalls are good. My suggestion is to go to a Guitar Store and try some out.

Lost-Fender

Early on today working a bit with Guitar Pro and my guitar, I realized the strings are as rusted as they could be. I'll be going to a local music shop tomorrow. I've been thinking on buying Ernie Ball strings, probably .11 gauge. I'll also see if I can get a whammy pedal, to get some weird sounding licks. But anyway, recomendations on buying strings? (I have to confess, it's the first time I change strings since I bought my current guitar blush.gif )

PCJ.

.11s could be a bit heavy, maybe go for .10s and go up or down from there depending on how they feel. Other than that, go for Ernie Balls for sure.

ThaddeusMcKlown
Early on today working a bit with Guitar Pro and my guitar, I realized the strings are as rusted as they could be. I'll be going to a local music shop tomorrow. I've been thinking on buying Ernie Ball strings, probably .11 gauge. I'll also see if I can get a whammy pedal, to get some weird sounding licks. But anyway, recomendations on buying strings? (I have to confess, it's the first time I change strings since I bought my current guitar blush.gif )

Ernie Ball = superior brand of strings.

.11 might be a bit heavy, most guitars are .10. it's not a major difference, though. Don't sweat it. Though, if your guitar is currently set up for .10's and you put .11's on, you could throw the intonation off slightly - but if you're new to guitar chances are you won't know anyway.

Canoxa

What exactly does 'being set up to x' means? I'm currently sporting Fender .09's, given to me when I first bought the guitar. I'm planning to get some Ernie Ball .10s, so I need to know if I need to mess with the action or the truss rod or something.

TheJonesy

Same here, my strings are all black...when they're supposed to be silver.

But as for you guitarists, what is your top 5 playlists? [favorite songs you can actually play]

Mine: I can only play 3!

1) Anthrax- Madhouse

2)Led Zeppelin- Dazed and Confused (without solo)

3)Van Halen- Jamie's Cryin'

I can play tidbits of others, but these I can play almost all the way through...

Black-hawk
James Hetfield

Pssh. James Hetfield is nothing. Kirk Hammett MADE Metallica... and then Ulrich UNMADE Metallica.

@Black-Hawk: Congrats on the new axe.

Links: These are a bunch o helpful links in no order at all:

http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/index.htm

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa121301a.htm

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

If you have any questions, PM me. I'll help ya out.

Awesome, thanks man. turn.gif

Lost-Fender

Thanks PCJ. and ThaddeusMcKlown for the help.

Yesterday I went to the guitar shop, but (sadly) they had sold-out the Ernie Ball strings. I got the next best thing they had, a set of .10 Elixir strings. They are "anti-rust", which is pretty good considering the climate of the place where I live. They may not be Ernie Ball, but I have to say they have a nice bright tone once I tried them with my Les Paul. icon14.gif

Edited by Lost-Fender

PCJ.

I wouldn't worry about them not being Ernie Balls, strings are so subjective that it's best to try a couple of different brands and figure whats best. Personally I don't like Elixirs, the tone just isn't right with me, but I know plenty who swear by them. Same with Ernie Balls and D'addario. It's about just finding whats best for you.

Lost-Fender

I wouldn't worry about them not being Ernie Balls, strings are so subjective that it's best to try a couple of different brands and figure whats best. Personally I don't like Elixirs, the tone just isn't right with me, but I know plenty who swear by them. Same with Ernie Balls and D'addario. It's about just finding whats best for you.

Thanks for the advice. I really didn't bought the Elixirs because of their tone, more because of their coating. Over here in San Jose (Costa Rica), the climate is just too damp that strings really get rusted very fast. Hopefully these ones will last longer.

This would be my guitar with the new strings. A Special II, but it hasn't failed me so far, the only thing about it would be the pickups.

Edited by Lost-Fender

TheJonesy

Just for outside-opinion, how well is the MXR EVH Phase 90 pedal?

[is it good or bad]

TheJonesy
Where did all the guitarists go?

ThaddeusMcKlown

I'm still here.

As for the Phase-90, I dunno. I've never liked the phase effect.... I've never tired a phase-90, but my freind had the standard MXR Phaser and it died on him in like a week and GC wouldn't refund his money..... just go to a guitar store and try it!

TheJonesy

I'm still here.

As for the Phase-90, I dunno. I've never liked the phase effect.... I've never tired a phase-90, but my freind had the standard MXR Phaser and it died on him in like a week and GC wouldn't refund his money..... just go to a guitar store and try it!

Alright...I just was gettin' worried since no one was responding/posting! Thanx, I'll see how it is... colgate.gificon14.gif