3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Scarface187

The New Guitar Topic

vacuumo

Ignore the shadow. (It should read Series II but I guess it got cut off)

user posted image

Ignore the rug.

user posted image

user posted image

My Series II G&L F-100.

For the curious, the knob closest to the jack is the master bass control, the middle knob is the master treble, and the knob farthest from the jack is the master volume. The small black switch is a phase switch. Interestingly, when it's activated the pick-up selector doesn't operate, which makes sense considering the only position affected is the middle. The red switch is a coil tap for both pickups (ie no humbucking bridge/tapped neck, tapped bridge/humbucking neck which is the only aspect that disappoints me). The big black switch is of course a three way selector. I could go on, but I'll spare you.

Would I recommend it? You bet.

v $500, though it seems like people get them for as little as $300.

Edited by vacuumo

lesfleanut

G&L's are so nice.... How much did it run you?

guitarrocker

*Some guitarists sometimes use 10's or 11's on the bottom 3 strings, and 8's for the top 3. So you can still get the heavy chug, but also the fast, high stuff. I wouldn't recommend it though, the bridge has to be set just right, as to not f*ck up the neck. The different tensions can warp the hell out of it.

This problem is usually corrected with a FR or ZR trem. A Trem can help to stabilize the neck/strings, especially on mine, (An Ibanez S520EX) because the bridge gives a little and I can move the tension easily. But I have a set-neck Gibson and I've never had a neck warping problem wow.gif

I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings. It's like this: the E-A-D strings are slightly thicker than 11's, while the G-B-E strings are 10's. The G-B-E strings make it easy to solo and do the bluesy stuff that I do, and the heavy bottom strings make slamming, crushing power chords a breeze. It also gets a real thick sound.

As for other gauges, I've never so much as heard of a guage lower than .9, but I have played .9s, and every time I played them, I broke the damn strings. Too Light for me, I guess.

As for changing them, as it's already been explained, I'll just throw a bit of a tip in there - once you get the stings on, gently pull them away from the fretboard, to stretch them. This will help alleviate that post-string-changing god-why-is-it-impossible-to-tune syndrome. Don't stretch them too hard, though.

If only one string broke, the others probably aren't far behind; you might as well change all of them.

On my ES hollowbody, I use Gibson Brite Wires 10 gauges which I also use on my Les Paul. For my ESP I use 12 gauge Dean Markley's. I have no problem with the 12's, I use them for playing metal and more fast precise music because the more stiff string tends to feel more controlled to me. I wouldn't mind stepping up to 13's soon to give them a try. I have no problem with the neck warping or bending because I have a neck-thru and a locked floyd rose. icon14.gif

fox09

Here's a stupid question, how're you supposed to hold a pick?

I know the hole fleshy part of your thumb and side of your pointer finger thing. I never been able to get used to it. I've always held it the "wrong" way of just pinching it between the two fingers.

I guess my question is, is there really any detriment to holding the "wrong" way, if that's what I've grown comfortable with? People say that you have less control, and the pick will tend to slip, but I find I have way more control, and movement. Granted, it does slip, but after as long as I've been playing, I find myself automatically fixing it when it slips.

Anyways. So what do I do? Continue holding it like a retard, or trying to learn it the other way, even if it feels uncomfortable as hell?

Jack_Knife

Just hold it however you are most comfortable. Unless you want to become the next shred-master-5000 guitar player, the finer points of your technique don't really matter.

SettleDownKid

kurt cobain is my favorite guitarist. his solos in heart shape box and in bloom are so sick they just give me that feeling like mmmmmmm u kno..? y do people think he is bad?

Piranha.

kurt cobain is my favorite guitarist. his solos in heart shape box and in bloom are so sick they just give me that feeling like mmmmmmm u kno..? y do people think he is bad?

You think they are good solos?...God you need to listen to a lot more music my friend...a whole lot more. bored.gif

Besides this is the topic for talking about your guitars. I will post a picture of my Maverick X1 Xplorer and talk about it tomorrow. Awesome guitars; Mavericks. cool.gif

guitarrocker

user posted image

user posted image

I play mostly technical death metal and thrash stuff, so I focus a lot on playing fast. This is the way I hold it, and I find this to be the most comfortable for me. But still play around with it to try to find the most comfortable position for you. icon14.gif

Saggy
user posted image

user posted image

I play mostly technical death metal and thrash stuff, so I focus a lot on playing fast. This is the way I hold it, and I find this to be the most comfortable for me. But still play around with it to try to find the most comfortable position for you. icon14.gif

Yeah, that's how I hold it for metal, but I like to try to lay my thumb and index more parallel to each other for strumming chords.

What I like about holding it like this while playing metal, is that you can use the broad sides of your thumb and index to mute strings selectively, which is good for playing open strings and chords in distortion. You can also move your thumb from point to tail of the pick to alter the attack angle pretty easily.

guitarrocker
user posted image

user posted image

Yeah, that's how I hold it for metal, but I like to try to lay my thumb and index more parallel to each other for strumming chords.

What I like about holding it like this while playing metal, is that you can use the broad sides of your thumb and index to mute strings selectively, which is good for playing open strings and chords in distortion. You can also move your thumb from point to tail of the pick to alter the attack angle pretty easily.

Yeah, it works for me because I can lay down the meaty part of my hand on the bridge if I need leverage for some faster picking, or I can easily palm mute it.

fox09

Thanks for the responses. I'm slowly but surely getting used to it. When it's more comfortable I'll decide which way I want to play. icon14.gif

Ok, I think I've switched. There's a solo I've been trying to play for weeks, but I could never move fast enough, then I tried holding the pick differently and everything instantly became a hundred times easier. biggrin.gif

Edited by fox09

Dr_Zephyr

I'd kill a small child for an Ibanez Universe. Really. With a spoon.

Guglielminpietro

Quick question - I would love to buy this guitar, and I could afford it, but would I look gay playing a purple guitar?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...roduct_id/19363

Or should I play safe and get the white or the blue one? Or buy something else altogether?

smile.gif

guitarrocker
Quick question - I would love to buy this guitar, and I could afford it, but would I look gay playing a purple guitar?

Or should I play safe and get the white or the blue one? Or buy something else altogether?

smile.gif

Hell no you won't look gay. My friend has a pink Steve Vai Ibanez, and it looks bad ass. tounge.gif

PCJ.

I wouldn't, it's one of those things you like the look of now, but in 6 months you'll start questioning why you did it, especially when you spend the best part of a grand on it.

guitarrocker

I personally wouldn't spend all the cash on a Gibson when an Epiphone is essentially the same guitar with a little bit lower grade hardware, and it's made in factories in Korea instead of the US.

ThaddeusMcKlown
I personally wouldn't spend all the cash on a Gibson when an Epiphone is essentially the same guitar with a little bit lower grade hardware, and it's made in factories in Korea instead of the US.

I notice a significant difference in tone and playability between my Gibson SG Special and the matching Epiphone....

Though perhaps I'm a bit biased....

So. I ventured to Guitar Center yesterday, to sample high end tube amps...ended up trying the Mesa Dual Rectifier (my god. That amp was amazing, but the price is just too high.) and the Marshall JCM2000 Triple Super Lead.... I think I'm going to go with the Marshall... this amp.

I suggest you call go and play those 2 amps, as they were absolutely amazing... it's a shame the fat balding manager wouldn't let me crank either one up past 2 lol.

nabo45

smile.gif

No it wouldent make you look gay, coz holy f*ck! thats a cool guitar, if i could afford it would atchully have bought one of those, my guitar teacher has a purple guitar and he dosent look gay with it...

guitarrocker

I notice a significant difference in tone and playability between my Gibson SG Special and the matching Epiphone....

So. I ventured to Guitar Center yesterday, to sample high end tube amps...ended up trying the Mesa Dual Rectifier (my god. That amp was amazing, but the price is just too high.) and the Marshall JCM2000 Triple Super Lead.... I think I'm going to go with the Marshall... this amp.

I suggest you call go and play those 2 amps, as they were absolutely amazing... it's a shame the fat balding manager wouldn't let me crank either one up past 2 lol.

Try out the Krank Revolution. There's two versions, one is a half stack, and one is basically the head with two 12 inch speakers built in. Both are tube amps, and the smaller one is about $1,500. Sounds very great, and it's extremely loud tounge.gif

ThaddeusMcKlown

Try out the Krank Revolution. There's two versions, one is a half stack, and one is basically the head with two 12 inch speakers built in. Both are tube amps, and the smaller one is about $1,500. Sounds very great, and it's extremely loud tounge.gif

Eh, I was looking at a Krankenstein, but it's no good for what I do now.

I used to play alot of thrash, but now I do classic rock and 80's metal, and stuff like Buckcherry... the kind of music where the Marshall tone is prevalent.

The Kranks are nice though inlove.gif

PCJ.

Course, if you're comparing a Gibson SG Special to an Epi SG Special, being the lowest end of the Epi range, its not going to compare, but to take a top end Epi to a Medium-Low end Gibson, you'll get as good or better a guitar for a good £300 less.

ThaddeusMcKlown

Course, if you're comparing a Gibson SG Special to an Epi SG Special, being the lowest end of the Epi range, its not going to compare, but to take a top end Epi to a Medium-Low end Gibson, you'll get as good or better a guitar for a good £300 less.

No, I compared my mid-end Gibson to a high-end Epi, and still preferred the feel and playability of the Gibson... the Epi just did not seem as solid.

But then again, my dad bought me my SG... I'd never spend that much on a guitar out of my own pocket, if I had to pay for it I would have gotten the Epi.

guitarrocker

I used to play alot of thrash, but now I do classic rock and 80's metal, and stuff like Buckcherry... the kind of music where the Marshall tone is prevalent.

Yeah I recommend the Revolution over the Krankenstein because of the $1,000 price difference.

My rig has a Marshall cab with the Celestions, and it's definitely a warm sounding cabinet. If you're planning on using a tube head, it's a very good choice. I'm using a solid state Crate GLX-212 as the head and it still sounds great. Crate tried to make the GLX-212 sound like a tube amp, and it does great. I would be more than happy to record sound clips of the Marshall if you would like to hear it cranked up so you can get an idea of what it sounds like.

Here's my amplifier.

ThaddeusMcKlown

Yeah I recommend the Revolution over the Krankenstein because of the $1,000 price difference.

My rig has a Marshall cab with the Celestions, and it's definitely a warm sounding cabinet. If you're planning on using a tube head, it's a very good choice. I'm using a solid state Crate GLX-212 as the head and it still sounds great. Crate tried to make the GLX-212 sound like a tube amp, and it does great. I would be more than happy to record sound clips of the Marshall if you would like to hear it cranked up so you can get an idea of what it sounds like.

Here's my amplifier.

And here's my current head, which is paired with some generic Crate cab.....

It sounded alright to me when I bought it, mostly because I had no idea what an amp SHOULD sound like lol.

Still tryin' to decide between the Mesa Dual Rectifier and the Marshall... goddamned price differences.

Edit: Haha, bro, there's only a $200 price difference between the Krankenstein and the Revolution.

Edited by ThaddeusMcKlown

guitarrocker

Here's my amplifier.

It sounded alright to me when I bought it, mostly because I had no idea what an amp SHOULD sound like lol.

Still tryin' to decide between the Mesa Dual Rectifier and the Marshall... goddamned price differences.

Edit: Haha, bro, there's only a $200 price difference between the Krankenstein and the Revolution.

I'm talking about the smaller Revolution with two speakers, not four. The full size one is about $2,500 and the smaller one is $1,500 or so.

topdogkiller

does anyone know where i can get he cort effector explorer copy. I've been ooking for it for months and i always lose it on ebay.

ThaddeusMcKlown

Here's my amplifier.

I'm talking about the smaller Revolution with two speakers, not four. The full size one is about $2,500 and the smaller one is $1,500 or so.

Eh, whatever tounge.gif

Krank's are awesome, but they're not really my sound, per se. Marshall, however, is icon14.gif

Going back yet AGAIN on wednesday to give it 1 final test run smile.gif

TheTank

I don't play guitar, but I like these:

Jani Liimatainen (Sonata Arctica)

Aleksi Laiho (Children of Bodom)

Herman Li (DragonForce)

Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

fox09

Can someone tell me more about Ernie Ball Slinky guitar strings?

I've heard good things about them, but I'm not sure if I should go out and buy some.

(Finally broke a string today, totally got stabbed by it too.)

lesfleanut
Can someone tell me more about Ernie Ball Slinky guitar strings?

I've heard good things about them, but I'm not sure if I should go out and buy some.

(Finally broke a string today, totally got stabbed by it too.)

Buy them, love them.