3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTA3Rockstar

NFL Discussion

gta_player5
For our fantasy league, do you know the draft order? Or is it just random?

I'm pretty sure it's random, since all of the Yahoo leagues I've been in were random order.

You can set the draft order if you are the commissioner of the league, or you can set it to be random. I'm guessing that it will be random because if it is otherwise that would sort of be a form of cheating because you can make yourself number one and enable yourself to get one of the most sought after players in football.

chuck430
For our fantasy league, do you know the draft order? Or is it just random?

I'm pretty sure it's random, since all of the Yahoo leagues I've been in were random order.

You can set the draft order if you are the commissioner of the league, or you can set it to be random. I'm guessing that it will be random because if it is otherwise that would sort of be a form of cheating because you can make yourself number one and enable yourself to get one of the most sought after players in football.

could be one of the perks of taking the initative and creating the league?

gta_player5

We all already knew all of this but I'm still going to make this post about Walsh. I made this post at another forum so that is why I put some detail in it.

Bill Walsh was one of the greatest coaches of all time, he was the innovator of the west coast offense which is one of the most widely used offenses used in the NFL today. He took the 49ers from being one of the worst teams in the league to being a dynasty, from going 2-14 the year before he joined the team in 1978 to winning a Super Bowl 3 years later and 2 more Super Bowl championships in the 1980's. He had a great eye for scouting, he had great influence in the drafting of players such as Joe Montana in the 3rd round and Jerry Rice from Mississippi Valley State. Both of those players are Hall of Fame players, and both are also considered by some to be the best ever at their position, undoubtedly Rice was the greatest receiver ever. He was one of the best coaches ever, some consider him to be the greatest ever. Also from what I have heard, he was also one of the best people you could meet. Steve Young said that other than his father, Bill Walsh was the most influential man in his life. R.I.P. Bill Walsh.

GTA3Rockstar

Yes, RIP Coach. icon14.gif

So, we still need one more person to join the league. If anyone is up for it, let me know. icon14.gif

gta_player5

Daunte Culpepper has been signed by the Oakland Raiders. I did not see that, especially since they have JaMarcus Russell as their protégé. Maybe they are signing him as a mentor to Russell, or as a backup in case something were to happen whether it be injury or if Russell just does not live up to the hype. I don't know, but it looks like the Raiders are making some moves to at least try and become better and get back to where they were during the Gannon times. (I say Gannon because I don't know if they will get back to where they were during the '70s.)

Oakland Raiders sign Daunte Culpepper

Donovin Darius is a good defensive gain, and I can only imagine that if Culpepper is healthy that it will be a good addition. That was the problem with him last year, he was predicted to make his return around week 8 in the regular season, but he started the first pre-season game and played until week 4. He wasn't ready, I applaud him for trying to come back last season, but at the same time I just want to call him incredibly stupid because he only injured himself more and cost the Dolphins money. Ehh, whatever, I'm hopeful to see Trent Green play this season.

Attorney General

All right...let's see if I have this right...the Raiders acquired Daunte Culpepper, Dominic Rhodes, Justin Griffith, Donovan Darius, Josh McCown and Mike Williams. Did I miss anyone? Not to mention they expect Jamarcus Russell to sign...eventually. Additionally, they drafted TE Zach Miller out of Arizona St., DE Quentin Moses from Georgia and an OT out of Florida St. I'll tell you what, they're not gonna smell the playoffs, but they did make strides this offseason towards improving off of a pathetic 2-14 campaign in 07.

GTA3Rockstar
All right...let's see if I have this right...the Raiders acquired Daunte Culpepper, Dominic Rhodes, Justin Griffith, Donovan Darius, Josh McCown and Mike Williams. Did I miss anyone? Not to mention they expect Jamarcus Russell to sign...eventually. Additionally, they drafted TE Zach Miller out of Arizona St., DE Quentin Moses from Georgia and an OT out of Florida St. I'll tell you what, they're not gonna smell the playoffs, but they did make strides this offseason towards improving off of a pathetic 2-14 campaign in 07.

They've been sucky since they lost the super bowl. Nothing will change with them for a long time to come. Count on it. icon14.gif

gta_player5

They won't do anything especially with the teams that are in their division. Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, all of those three teams are better than the Raiders. Yes, the Chiefs, last year when Huard was at QB he did very well and I'm positive he will do the same this year, plus they have Priest Holmes back this year, yes he's old but he will take some of the load off of Larry Johnson who some have shown concern for because of "tread on the tires".

AFC West:

1: Chargers

2: Broncos (Wild Card team)

3: Chiefs

4: Raiders

chuck430
Daunte Culpepper has been signed by the Oakland Raiders. I did not see that, especially since they have JaMarcus Russell as their protégé. Maybe they are signing him as a mentor to Russell, or as a backup in case something were to happen whether it be injury or if Russell just does not live up to the hype. I don't know, but it looks like the Raiders are making some moves to at least try and become better and get back to where they were during the Gannon times. (I say Gannon because I don't know if they will get back to where they were during the '70s.)

Oakland Raiders sign Daunte Culpepper

Donovin Darius is a good defensive gain, and I can only imagine that if Culpepper is healthy that it will be a good addition. That was the problem with him last year, he was predicted to make his return around week 8 in the regular season, but he started the first pre-season game and played until week 4. He wasn't ready, I applaud him for trying to come back last season, but at the same time I just want to call him incredibly stupid because he only injured himself more and cost the Dolphins money. Ehh, whatever, I'm hopeful to see Trent Green play this season.

its a one year deal, not long enough to mentor anyone.

i think its a ploy Oak is doing to pressure Russell to sign and get into camp.

and Cullpepper isnt looking to be a Raider for a long time. he wants to play now, increase his stock and then look for greener pastures, after his one year deal is up.

Attorney General

i think its a ploy Oak is doing to pressure Russell to sign and get into camp.

and Cullpepper isnt looking to be a Raider for a long time.  he wants to play now, increase his stock and then look for greener pastures, after his one year deal is up.

If the Raiders are smart, they'll get Culpeppers ass in camp...yesterday. Let him hold the reins for at least the first 8 games while Russell learns the ropes. The transitional period should be good for him...especially considering Russell is the same breed of QB as Culpepper is. That said, their most glaring need last season was help on the O-line...they failed to address that this offseason.

Edited by Attorney General

Runey

We all know Oakland's going to stink again this year.

It doesn't matter how good your defense is, if you cant score points, you will not win, and we all know how horrible their offense was, and with no offensive line, it won't matter how explosive your running backs are, or how good your quarterbacks are.

chuck430

It doesn't matter how good your defense is, if you cant score points, you will not win, and we all know how horrible their offense was, and with no offensive line, it won't matter how explosive your running backs are, or how good your quarterbacks are.

didnt the ravens win a superbowl b/c of their D?

and isnt there that old addage "Offenses win games, but Defenses win championships"?

Dasutin

Offense wins championships, defense just monetarily slows the other team from doing it themselves.

Attorney General
Offense wins championships, defense just monetarily slows the other team from doing it themselves.

I don't think so, my friend...at least not lately.

Dating back to 01 when the Ravens won it all, you have the Patriots winning three Super Bowls, Tampa Bay winning one, Pittsburgh winning one and Indianapolis winning last year. All of these teams had top notch defenses...Indy is the exception.

Runey

didnt the ravens win a superbowl b/c of their D?

and isnt there that old addage "Offenses win games, but Defenses win championships"?

Maybe, but their offense wasn't just horrible like Oakland's was.

I mean if your offense is as bad as Oakland's was, you will not succeed.

Here is how many points they scored each game.

So, thats 3 games where they were shut out, 7 games of 10 points or less, and no games with more than 22 points.

Thats what I mean by a horrible offense.

Baltimore's Offense was at least half way decent when they won a superbowl.

gta_player5

You can never get by solely on offense though. The perfect example is the Chiefs. Year in and year out they have a good offense, one of the best in the league, and do you ever see them do much in the playoffs? No, I think that offense pulls you through the regular season, but defense pulls you through in the playoffs. For example, the Colts did great on offense in the regular season, their defense however did not. Once the playoffs started their defense was great, teams could barely score on them, that is why they won the Super Bowl.

Runey

I am not saying that defense isn't important, I am just saying look for another 1-4 win season from the Raiders because they have done nothing to really improve their offense. (JaMarcus Russell Will not help, nor will Culpepper. They will get knocked around like a pinball.)

Their defense was 3rd in the league, but their record was 2-14. Defense is important, but you have to score SOME points to win.

I mean, a defense can't hold opponents to -1 points.

gta_player5
I am not saying that defense isn't important, I am just saying look for another 1-4 win season from the Raiders because they have done nothing to really improve their offense. (JaMarcus Russell Will not help, nor will Culpepper. They will get knocked around like a pinball.)

Their defense was 3rd in the league, but their record was 2-14. Defense is important, but you have to score SOME points to win.

I mean, a defense can't hold opponents to -1 points.

They have not done anything to improve, to be honest, if anything they have gotten worse on offense because they got rid of Randy Moss and they have not done anything with their o-line. I don't care how big your running back is, or how quick he is, or how many you have. When your o-line is as bad as theirs is, you will not go anywhere. I also don't care how big and fast your quarterback is, or how far he can throw "from his ass", because your quarterback can't do a thing when he's on his back. The Raider defense has gotten better, and the offense looks better, but it isn't because of the lack of a good offensive line.

Bad o-line = bad offense.

chuck430

how many points did that Raven's O put on the board in the superbowl? and how much did the D score?

Dasutin

how many points did that Raven's O put on the board in the superbowl? and how much did the D score?

I know, I know, but there's only three teams I can think of that have ever, truly, won on defense. Bucs, Ravens, and Bears. The most dominant Superbowl teams, have all had terrific offenses. They've had great defenses as well, but they had dominant offenses to score points at will. Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, and Patriots. Patriots played in all close games, but high-scoring games. You need balance. You can't just get by with no offense.

Look at the Bears this last season, they had horrible quarterback play, and it cost them the game. The Bears had a top 3 defense in the league, but they weren't dominate. They struggled against the run, and relied solely on their playmaking ability (stripping the ball, and scoring on defense). When that didn't work, they were screwed. Offense is more important, you can get by with a defense that just keeps the opposition from scoring more points than you do.

gta_player5

Can I just get something off of my chest? Ok, let me start. I cannot stand the rookies coming into the league, I seriously cannot stand them, they DEMAND max money or they will hold out, they demand that they get paid more than anybody else in the league, more than people who have proven themselves in the NFL year-in and year-out. They do this and they haven't even played a single down in the NFL. I think that there should be a cap for rookies, because they haven't played a single down, why should they be the highest paid player at said position in history of the league when they've never taken a step onto a professional field as apart of a professional team?

Another thing that really bothers me is when players demand more money or a hold out because they "outperformed their contract. Ok, you can get more money, but what about next year, what if you under perform your contract? Then if that happens they should risk being cut from the team. I think that players should really just take the contract given to them. Even if it's 1 million a year, that's damn good compared to the average income. So why complain? It just bothers people, like me.

Attorney General

Is this what you're talking about?

I hear you. But it's not only these rookies, their agents play the major part in the negotiations. First off, these agents don't want their clients to appear underpaid...because the subsequent year, the prospects may get the perception that said agent is not so good at his job.

And a lot of times, the camps of the rookies will look for a chunk of guaranteed money as opposed to a longer, fatter paycheck(like the one of Levi Brown). And in the instance of David Pollack, the Bengals LB who broke his neck in the 2nd game of his sophomore season, perhaps he and his agent secured his financial situation...especially considering the uncertain future of his playing career, when they held out for more money in his rookie contract. You see, a lot of times they'll hold out with the mindset that more money up front, will leave them a cushion if they get hurt and can't continue to play.

About vets holding out because they feel they've outplayed their contract... I agree with you. Players should be held to said contract just as you and I are obligated to pay our rent...or our car payments. But not to play devil's advocate or anything, sometimes a player is drafted in a later round...say fourth, fifth or sixth. They may "outplay" their rookie contract. A supreme example is Tom Brady. He was drafted in the sixth or seventh round. In his second ore third year in the league, he was a starting QB of the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots and was grossly underpaid. In this instance, I sympathize with their plight.

That said, I've grown tired of listening to millionaires bitch about money when I'm going broke trying to put myself through school.

Edited by Attorney General

gta_player5
Is this what you're talking about?

I hear you. But it's not only these rookies, their agents play the major part in the negotiations. First off, these agents don't want their clients to appear underpaid...because the subsequent year, the prospects may get the perception that said agent is not so good at his job.

And a lot of times, the camps of the rookies will look for a chunk of guaranteed money as opposed to a longer, fatter paycheck(like the one of Levi Brown). And in the instance of David Pollack, the Bengals LB who broke his neck in the 2nd game of his sophomore season, perhaps he and his agent secured his financial situation...especially considering the uncertain future of his playing career, when they held out for more money in his rookie contract. You see, a lot of times they'll hold out with the mindset that more money up front, will leave them a cushion if they get hurt and can't continue to play.

About vets holding out because they feel they've outplayed their contract... I agree with you. Players should be held to said contract just as you and I are obligated to pay our rent...or our car payments. But not to play devil's advocate or anything, sometimes a player is drafted in a later round...say fourth, fifth or sixth. They may "outplay" their rookie contract. A supreme example is Tom Brady. He was drafted in the sixth or seventh round. In his second ore third year in the league, he was a starting QB of the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots and was grossly underpaid. In this instance, I sympathize with their plight.

That said, I've grown tired of listening to millionaires bitch about money when I'm going broke trying to put myself through school.

I know that the agents have a great say in it, but still when it comes down to it they player can request that the agent not hold out. I mean it's not as if the player does not have any say in what goes on with negotiations. I just get annoyed when a player like Levi Brown gets paid the highest contract of any o-lineman in NFL history, and players like Willie Roaf (retired), Will Shields (retired), or Johnathon Ogden don't get those types of contracts when they have done that their entire career.

It's ironic, because I'm complaining about this, but I want to become a sports agent, for the same sport. biggrin.gif

chuck430

Another thing that really bothers me is when players demand more money or a hold out because they "outperformed their contract. Ok, you can get more money, but what about next year, what if you under perform your contract? Then if that happens they should risk being cut from the team. I think that players should really just take the contract given to them. Even if it's 1 million a year, that's damn good compared to the average income. So why complain? It just bothers people, like me.

clubs do cut players if they underperform, and do ask for some of the money back if they suck. and they can trade them away if theyre unhappy with his play.

Attorney General

Brown's contract is incentive laden. It wouldn't surprise me if the one of the #3 pick Joe Thomas has more guaranteed money in it. A lot of times these GMs will load up on incentive(see Nate Clements with the 49ers) that the player simply cannot live up to. Another example is Sean Taylor, the safety with the Skins. His rookie contract was a groos of something like 45 million over five years. But to earn the maximum amount...he had to make the Pro Bowl during each and every year under said contract.

But yeah, I think guys like Willie Roaf, Jon Ogden, Willie Anderson and Alan Fanaca all deserve contracts like the one Brown just received. Older veterans, particularly O-linemen, are a liability in the eyes of GMs...simply because of the beating they take on a week to week basis. Sucks...but it's just the way the things are.

gta_player5

clubs do cut players if they underperform, and do ask for some of the money back if they suck. and they can trade them away if theyre unhappy with his play.

I haven't really seen that because no team is willing to take a big salary cap hit because a player had a sub par season. Unless they really played badly I don't think they would cut them. Honestly though, I feel that players should stick with the contract in which they agreed to, and not demand more money when they have a good year, because it can change quickly from season to season, and if they play worse than the contract they signed after they "outperformed" their contract they should risk being cut.

chuck430

I haven't really seen that because no team is willing to take a big salary cap hit because a player had a sub par season. Unless they really played badly I don't think they would cut them. Honestly though, I feel that players should stick with the contract in which they agreed to, and not demand more money when they have a good year, because it can change quickly from season to season, and if they play worse than the contract they signed after they "outperformed" their contract they should risk being cut.

you always hear about people being cut. sure, not many of the big names but thats b/c they have trade value. Culpepper had to be cut b/c he wouldnt accept a trade.

gta_player5

you always hear about people being cut. sure, not many of the big names but thats b/c they have trade value. Culpepper had to be cut b/c he wouldnt accept a trade.

Yes, but the team was still looking to get rid of him. You don't hear about big name players getting cut because they played off of what they normally do. So the fact that Culpepper was going to be off of the team one way or another was why he was cut. That and the fact that he's his own agent. biggrin.gif

Attorney General
Yes, but the team was still looking to get rid of him. You don't hear about big name players getting cut because they played off of what they normally do. So the fact that Culpepper was going to be off of the team one way or another was why he was cut. That and the fact that he's his own agent. biggrin.gif

Bro, if you're attempting to become an agent you better wake up and smell the napalm. Because the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league...and harsh as it may seem, it's a habit of teams to cut aging vets.

Just this offseason, Keyshawn Johnson was cut by the Panthers. Brian Simmons, a very solid LB, was cut by the Bengals. The Bengals also cut a rugged, run-stopping D-tackle in Sam Adams. Joey Porter was cut by the Steelers. Terrell Owens was cut by the Eagles a couple of years ago. Troy Vincent was cut by the Skins a year or two ago. The list goes on and on.

gta_player5

Bro, if you're attempting to become an agent you better wake up and smell the napalm. Because the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league...and harsh as it may seem, it's a habit of teams to cut aging vets.

Just this offseason, Keyshawn Johnson was cut by the Panthers. Brian Simmons, a very solid LB, was cut by the Bengals. The Bengals also cut a rugged, run-stopping D-tackle in Sam Adams. Joey Porter was cut by the Steelers. Terrell Owens was cut by the Eagles a couple of years ago. Troy Vincent was cut by the Skins a year or two ago. The list goes on and on.

I know that, I'm talking about young players who complain and what not. You mentioned Terrell Owens, he wasn't cut because of lack of talent on the field, he was released because of his talent off of the field in pissing off the teams he was on.