3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTA3Rockstar

NFL Discussion

gta_player5

I hear ya matt, I dig Darius too. And didn't you guys loose Deon Grant too?

Anyway...I just heard that the Lions just made Cory Redding the highest paid D-tackle in the league.  mercie_blink.gif  Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. I know dude had a good year last season with 8 or 9 sacks and about 45 tackles, but a 7 year, 49 million dollar contract?  Ummm...thanks, but no thanks.

Jason Taylor deserves that contract. inlove.gif (Miami Dolphins fan)

He has been so consistent in his career, he has led the league in sacks in 2002 with 18.5 sacks, he was the Defensive MVP of last season, and he has been one of the cornerstones of the Dolphins defense for his entire career. A player who has one good year does not deserve a huge contract, rather a player who continues to prove themselves year in and year out deserves a contract like that.

Regarding Donovin Darius. I like him, he plays the game hard, he is a good safety, he does well on run defense, but it seems that in the last couple of years he has been plagued by some injuries. In 2005 he played 2 games and in 2006 he played 6 games. Nonetheless, I think that it was a good move signing him, he's a good player, and though he's getting up there in age, I think that he can still play well and make somewhat of an impact.

Attorney General

Oh I think Darius will have an impact. He'll certainly get his snaps...in a starting role or not. And if nothing else, he still brings veteran leadership and a commanding presence in the locker room, on the practice field and on game day.

And I love Taylor...probably more than the next guy. But no way in hell am I giving him a contract like that today. He's what, like 34? Taylor's a hell of a player...and he had a monster season last year, but you just can't give a 34 year old guy, regardless of his history with the team, a fat contract like that. But one would be wise not to shell out cash like the Lions did with Redding either. The guy has some potential, but how big can his upside be when the guy is already 27 years old?

For me to pay that kind of money, as far as DT's go, there's only Kevin Williams, and maybe John Henderson. I suppose Kris Jenkins and Marcus Stroud would warrant that kind of cheddar if they could play at a high level consistently. Same goes for Shaun Rogers if he can pretend he's a decent human being for a year or two. And there's Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton too...all could be considered elite. But Cory Redding?!? Something tells me, and I'm no psychic, that perhaps Lions fans may call for the guillotine on Matt Millen for this one. sarcasm.gif

ToyMachine

The Darius signing was really safe for the Raiders. He got no signing bonus so if they release him it won't count against the cap at all.

Attorney General

The Dolphins finally made the inevitable move of releasing Daunte Culpepper. Sounds like the Jags are the frontrunner to land him...maybe to light a fire under Byron Leftwich's ass. Sure, Culpepper hasn't been the same since his devastating knee injury, but he's only two years removed from throwing for 4,700 some yards.

gta_player5

The Dolphins finally made the inevitable move of releasing Daunte Culpepper. Sounds like the Jags are the frontrunner to land him...maybe to light a fire under Byron Leftwich's ass. Sure, Culpepper hasn't been the same since his devastating knee injury, but he's only two years removed from throwing for 4,700 some yards.

He felt he needed to do what was best for him, however, I think that the front office should have traded him. He was so unwilling to be traded that it was impossible to do so. I don't understand why to be honest, because if they could have traded him to, let's say the Jaguars, the team could have gotten a player, or a pick in return. Ok, it might not be a great player or pick, but still, and after the trade went through could he not have restructured his contract? I just don't understand it to be honest.

He said that he does not want a team to have to take on his huge salary, can he not restructure his contract?

It's ok, I feel that the team will do well with Rocky taking the snaps. tounge.gif

TDP992

Well, Vick's finally been indicted on this dogfighting stuff. He faces six years in prison + 350k fine. Personally, I hope he gets the max punishment. It would be a loss of an exciting player, but he deserves it. I hate animal abusers. One of the few things I can't sand.

Edit: It's now saying Vick would kill dogs in various ways if they weren't performing well. Sometimes he'd drown them, hang them, slam them against the ground until they die, or even electrocute the dogs just because they can't fight. If any of this is true I hope he f*cking rots in hell.

Edited by TDP992

chuck430
Well, Vick's finally been indicted on this dogfighting stuff. He faces six years in prison + 350k fine. Personally, I hope he gets the max punishment. It would be a loss of an exciting player, but he deserves it. I hate animal abusers. One of the few things I can't sand.

guess we dont have to worry about him developing into an "ideal" pocket passer

GTA3Rockstar

Culpepper was also released by the Dolphins. So, where do you think he'll go?

TDP992

Jacksonville seems to be a pretty big contender. And that'd be pretty interesting to see since Mike Tice is an assistant over there. I'm surprised the dolphins couldn't get trade for him though.

gta_player5

Jacksonville seems to be a pretty big contender. And that'd be pretty interesting to see since Mike Tice is an assistant over there. I'm surprised the dolphins couldn't get trade for him though.

It's not that they couldn't. Culpepper is his own agent and he would not approve of any trades. He refused being traded, he would only accept being released, which he ultimately was. I think that he will most likely go to Jacksonville, however, that would cause a real big quarterback controversy. Garrard, Leftwich, Culpeper, all of them are competent QB's, some are just plagued with injuries lately.

Trent, how do you feel about not having Culpeper around and undoubtedly being the starter for this season? I feel that you can do well. tounge2.gif

GTA3Rockstar

Trent, how do you feel about not having Culpeper around and undoubtedly being the starter for this season? I feel that you can do well. tounge2.gif

Well, to me, I think, it will make my job much easier and much more fun. Now my problem is, I may not have my key receiver for a few games. sad.gif

chuck430

Culpepper to the Falcons?

Attorney General

Looks like a very real possibility. Culpepper and Harrington may get a chance to battle it out for a starting job for the second year in a row. Vick is a savage thug, and deserves a year suspension if the indictment leads to a conviction.

gta_player5

Looks like a very real possibility. Culpepper and Harrington may get a chance to battle it out for a starting job for the second year in a row. Vick is a savage thug, and deserves a year suspension if the indictment leads to a conviction.

It might very well lead to the end of his career because, I heard he could face up to six years in jail if convicted. It seems that neither of the Vicks like the authorities. biggrin.gif

Cuse510

Man, it's been a while since I've been in here (probably because I'm still depressed about da Bears losing the Superbowl), but I figured this Vick case is reason enough to post. I know high-profile athletes usually get out of situations like these, but if it can be proven that Vick took part in all of this (and right now it looks like it can) he could and should be in big trouble. I know I have a hard time even yelling at my dog, so I can't believe someone could do things as cruel as have been alleged. If Vick is proven guilty I hope he never plays football again, or even gets a job again for that matter... and I thought Mike was the responsible brother sarcasm.gif

And seeing as I'm finally back posting in here, I should probably mention that I met Muhsin Muhammad a couple weeks ago just randomly. He's a great guy, but more importantly he told me that Mike Brown and Tommie Harris both look like they're back to 100% and Benson is more than ready to take over for Thomas Jones. Moose says we're gonna win that final game this year baby! icon14.gif

Dasutin

With the weakness of the NFC North division, the Bears will probably still make the playoffs, because no one else will. But to win a playoff game is another story. Rex Grossman is still Rex Grossman, the Lance Briggs and Alex Brown situations seem like huge distractions, especially since the Bears have made it no secret they never intended on signing Briggs long-term. The defense showed weakness in the playoffs, and have now lost two starting defensive tackles (but get Harris back). If everyone plays the Bears like the Seahawks did in the playoffs, it's going to be a long year. They put their center on Urlacher, and it because increasingly evident that he cannot fight off a blocker. Run to the outside, you're screwed, because the team speed is greater than any other, run right at Urlacher with a big lead blocker, and you're guaranteed a 5 yard gain.

GTA3Rockstar

In the NFC I see the Saints making it to the Big One and in the AFC, its a toss up between a number of teams. The Colts, Broncos, Patriots, Chargers and the Browns(lol.gif)

chuck430

It might very well lead to the end of his career because, I heard he could face up to six years in jail if convicted. It seems that neither of the Vicks like the authorities. biggrin.gif

didnt Blank (falcons owner) get rid of the last coach b/c he made a comment that he'd take the Washington (NCAA) job if it was offered to him last season? i read that Blank is a man of image, and if you ruin that image of him or the falcons, he wouldnt hesitate to fire that person. he got rid of the coach, will he get rid of Vick too b/c of this blackeye or will he ignore his beliefs?

Dasutin

Arthur Blank is literally in love with Mike Vick. He won't do a damn thing about it. Goodell needs to step in and ban his ass from the NFL forever.

TDP992

In the NFC I see the Saints making it to the Big One and in the AFC, its a toss up between a number of teams. The Colts, Broncos, Patriots, Chargers and the Browns(lol.gif)

The NFC is a tough one to pick. I'm thinking Saints, Seahawks, Bears, and Dallas over Philly since I'm not sure about McNabb coming back from his injury, and the two wildcards Minnesota and Carolina. AFC with San Diego, Indy, New England, and Pittsburgh if they stay out of injuries. The AFC wildcards will be pretty tough this year with Teams like Tennessee, Jacksonville, Denver, K.C., and almost any one in the AFC North. I'm undecided on the AFC wildcards right now.

And some thoughts on the AFC north, is Steve McNair finally going to really show how old he is? And can Pittsburgh win the division if they have no injuries since they have a way weaker schedule than last year? And how long before the Browns actually start competing? This year maybe? I can't think of anything for Cincy...

chuck430

'Hawks aint doing sh*t this year. Gore is going to run all over them again, and then carry SF into the playoffs.

Dasutin

And Steven Jackson is going to flatten both of them. The Rams are the best team in that division.

Attorney General

Steven Jackson is a stud back and a hell of a reciever outta the backfield. And I think Bulger is one of the most underrated QBs in the NFL. Additionly, I like the moves the Rams make this offseason in picking up Drew Bennett, Randy McMichael, Dante Hall and even Mike Rumph might be able to fill in on some special teams. They're poised to get to the playoffs in the dismal NFC.

gta_player5

Steven Jackson is a stud back and a hell of a reciever outta the backfield. And I think Bulger is one of the most underrated QBs in the NFL. Additionly, I like the moves the Rams make this offseason in picking up Drew Bennett, Randy McMichael, Dante Hall and even Mike Rumph might be able to fill in on some special teams. They're poised to get to the playoffs in the dismal NFC.

Bulger underrated? He's been considered one of the top QB's for a few years now. He's got a lot of targets and now he only has more, with, like you mentioned, Bennett, McMichael ( sad.gif ), and Dante Hall (sorta kinda...). Steven Jackson is a damn good back though. The one thing the Rams need to do is sure up their defense a bit more. Right now I think the 49ers have the best defense in their division, and if they play like they did last season they should only be better.

I have a feeling that the NFC West is going to be won by either of those two teams. It will most likely come down to whoever wins the season series if you will between them.

My picks:

AFC East: Those damn Patriots

AFC North: Ravens

AFC South: Texans Colts tounge.gif

AFC West: Chargers

NFC East: Cowboys

NFC North: Bears

NFC South: Saints

NFC West: Rams/49ers - Undecided

Attorney General

I agree that Bulger is one of the better QBs. I personally think he's a top 6 or 7 QB in the league. But I really don't hear a lot about him from the national media. Maybe if you follow the Rams specifically or live near St. Louis or whatever...you might hear more about him. But I sure don't, and I'm a football fanatic. I hear more about Phillip Rivers and Michael Vick(pre-indictment) than I do of Bulger...which is a shame.

gta_player5

I watch ESPNEWS almost constantly, and when The Blitz is on, or The Pulse, or John Clayton is making an appearance, that's usually when I hear about Bulger. I rarely hear about him, but when I do it's nothing but good things. I don't know, underrated or not, let his stats speak for himself, which are pretty damn good.

Attorney General

Hell yeah they do. Last year he had like 25 TDs to 8 picks. Nice 3:1 ratio. And when he's healthy, he'll pass for 3,200 or so yards.

Speaking of ESPNnews, I love it too. But what in the hell is going on lately? Just this week it appears my cable company has made ESPN classic a pay channel, same with the NFL Network. It's bad enough I have to pay for HBO and Showtime so I can see all the boxing that I need to, now I gotta pay for these too?!? These conglomerate bastards will nickel and dime us until the day we die. icon13.gif

gta_player5

Speaking of ESPNnews, I love it too. But what in the hell is going on lately? Just this week it appears my cable company has made ESPN classic a pay channel, same with the NFL Network. It's bad enough I have to pay for HBO and Showtime so I can see all the boxing that I need to, now I gotta pay for these too?!? These conglomerate bastards will nickel and dime us until the day we die. icon13.gif

I have Directv, so I don't know what the problem might be.

Sadly I do not have the NFL Sunday Ticket, just too much money for me unfortunately. So yes, I only catch at least 2 Dolphins games a season.

GTA3Rockstar

I have Directv, so I don't know what the problem might be.

Sadly I do not have the NFL Sunday Ticket, just too much money for me unfortunately. So yes, I only catch at least 2 Dolphins games a season.

DirectTV for the win. We get all we want with NFL Network. So much for your lose General icon13.gif Yea, I don't have NFL Ticket either but that don't bother me, I get to see the Broncos woop ass. lol

chuck430

Culpepper visited the Bucs, the Bucs????? why does Gruden want another QB?