• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursed

• sivispacem

• HaRdSTyLe_83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got the cable management done on my setup, and a few other bits and bobs. Getting there.            

Iconic Formula 1 livery. JPS.               Matching custom keyboard       Still moving things around.  

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

Sorry....I had to.

Current desktop:

2ryiubt.jpg

I don't like clutter, so I generally have no icons aside from the recycle bin. Macbook Pro has a different one now, running OSX Yosemite beta, so I may post it later.

Edited by Audiophile
  • Like 2
FriendlyPsychopath

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

Sorry....I had to.

No problem,is a windows 7 Poor Edition v1998.

Jokes apart

Start:right click computer:properties:advanced system settings:advanced tab:perfomance settings:visual effects:adjust for better perfomance.

Not nearly as fancy as some of the last few ones, but here are my current backgrounds.

HP Pavilion Desktop

Screenshot%2B%28156%29.png

I actually like Windows 8. There, I said it.

Samsung Chromebook

Screenshot%2B2014-10-02%2Bat%2B17.49.46.

Edited by Wolf of Badenoch

anybody can buy a nice case.

take a picture of what's under the hood ;)

All the fun stuff is in a cardboard box, not under the hood yet - all in due time. Here's one of a reservoir, pump housing (pump is still getting sorted), some fittings and a flow sensor to put you off. :p

az_trooper03.jpg

• Like 3

anybody can buy a nice case.

take a picture of what's under the hood ;)

All the fun stuff is in a cardboard box, not under the hood yet - all in due time. Here's one of a reservoir, pump housing (pump is still getting sorted), some fittings and a flow sensor to put you off. :p

az_trooper03.jpg

Nice!

What are the specs?

What I think my future build will be:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xLxpVn

Arctic - that's a nice build! Only thing I would change is the PSU. You could save some money if you went for a lower wattage. Try a 500W PSU instead.

Arctic - that's a nice build! Only thing I would change is the PSU. You could save some money if you went for a lower wattage. Try a 500W PSU instead.

It's 80+ gold from a pretty reputable company and is cheap. I wanted non spiking consistent voltage for OC's. And it's modular. Don't really mind the extra draw.

It's 80+ gold from a pretty reputable company and is cheap. I wanted non spiking consistent voltage for OC's. And it's modular. Don't really mind the extra draw.

SuperNOVA NEX 750W is a Fortron Aurum based PSU with group voltage regulation. It's actually quite bad at keeping the voltages stable. It's also quite loud (another "classic" Aurum flaw). There are better choices in this price range, eg.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550bbefx

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm650

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm

etc.

The only saving grace of the EVGA unit is its extraordinarily long warranty.

Edited by yojo2

Nice!

What are the specs?

What I think my future build will be:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xLxpVn

Pretty decent, however I'd recommend changing a few things.

1. The PSU. I'm not going to say go lower because 750 is a pretty decent spot to be at as it allows for any major future upgrades. However, EVGA's supernova series isn't very good (apart from the G2 and P2) and that's exactly what I recommend, an EVGA G2 rather than a G1.

2. The motherboard. There's cheaper high end options.

3. The RAM. It's a bit pricey for what it is, if looks aren't a big concern there's low profile RAM that performs better for less

4. The HDD. I haven't heard great things about Seagate's hard drives so... Yeah...

I trimmed a bit of fat off for you, there's still a bit left on with things like the motherboard and RAM but the price is still lower than the original list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r3vByc

Recently bought a new rig. Custom built myself.

• MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5
  • Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150
  • Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair RM Series RM 650 '80+ Gold' 650W Power Supply
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache HDD
  • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
  • Silverstone Kublai KL04 Midi Tower
  • Asus 24x DVD±RW DRW-24F1ST SATA ReWriter

F9P6Q5Zl.jpg

VHonwmJ.jpg

Kh435cx.jpg

NxD9WbJ.jpg

• Like 2

Pretty darn tidy. How's the 970? I want one. I don't need one but that probably won't stop me from getting one.

I have no issues with it whatsoever. Runs very quiet and cool. Fans don't even turn on if the temps don't reach 60°C, so it's great. My last desktop GPU was HD4850, so that was a pretty hot and loud card at times. Even with fans turned on, the whole system is more quiet than my previous laptop, I have to say. Thanks to the Silverstone Kublai case.

I have a GTX970 from MSI, and I read that there are people with some fan issues, so if you're getting one, make sure to do some checkups. Some people report one of the fans not spinning or spinning very slowly, due to some manufacturer errors with stickers, I believe. However, mine runs great and I got a really good deal on one and before all the suply/demand bullsh*t that's going on right now. People are nuts for these cards, it's impossible to get one and the prices increased.

So far, I haven't run into a game which would be a problem for it. I game on FullHD, so obviously 4K would be a problem and you prolly need a set of two. I tried ARMAIII yesterday (Free Steam Weekend) and it ran on Ultra settings with absolutely zero problems. So does Crysis, FarCry 3, Tomb Raider and pretty much any title out there. All in all - I would buy one again in a heart beat. Definitely recommended.

Edited by AzO

I was looking at the ASUS ones. Whilst undoubtedly faster out of the box, I'm a little concerned about the MSI card's absence of backplate. With how much they weigh I really would prefer a card with a backplate.

What's a backplate? Will I be able to play The Sims 3 at ultra 1080p with 60+ FPS with GTX 970? :p I'm joking.

Edited by Doc 1985

Never though this to be a problem, honestly.

I would think that a backplate only adds to the weight and doesn't really help much with the cooling. Does look "cooler", hehe.

If you think that the card somehow "bends" or is "unstable", then don't worry - it's sturdy as a rock.

It's more the pressure they put on the PCI-E rails of the motherboard causing the PCB to bend and leading to possible failures. The same issue as can happen with the very large air-to-air coolers.

As I said, the card does feel very sturdy, as the two fans actually cover all of the card.

Besides, think about it, the PCI-E rails aren't covered by back-plate anyway, so they only get that extra weight to support. The back-plate is only there for a show, it doesn't really add to anything, unless they designed a very sophisticated cooling system.

I was looking at the ASUS ones. Whilst undoubtedly faster out of the box, I'm a little concerned about the MSI card's absence of backplate. With how much they weigh I really would prefer a card with a backplate.

The MSI has no backplate and may cause higher temps.

I'd choose the Gigabyte Windforce, runs cool and people had the best OC results from it. Only downside is that it is LONG

seems pretty well backed up:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_review,27.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_970_g1_gaming_review,27.html

Edited by ARCTICvnc

I'd choose the Gigabyte Windforce, runs cool and people had the best OC results from it. Only downside is that it is LONG

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_970_g1_gaming_review,27.html

The backplate has very little effect on temps.

Also, I wouldn't bother with Gigabyte. They aren't trustworthy. A company that uses an 870m and then claims that it's a GTX 760 just isn't worth considering.

The backplate has very little effect on temps.

Also, I wouldn't bother with Gigabyte. They aren't trustworthy. A company that uses an 870m and then claims that it's a GTX 760 just isn't worth considering.

Is there any proof that it doesn't dissipate heat? If there is I'd be totally happy to accept it because I haven't really seen anything disproving it.

And it seems pretty pedantic to boycott a good product for something like that. But that still seems very sketchy of Gigabyte to do....

And I've had seagate and WD HDD's before and those ran equally well, and I haven't seen any horrible reviews. I'd be more worried about Vulcan RAM.

Edited by ARCTICvnc

Is there any proof that it doesn't dissipate heat? If there is I'd be totally happy to accept it because I haven't really seen anything disproving it.

And it seems pretty pedantic to boycott a good product for something like that. But that still seems very sketchy of Gigabyte to do....

And I've had seagate and WD HDD's before and those ran equally well, and I haven't seen any horrible reviews. I'd be more worried about Vulcan RAM.

I haven't seen any proof either but if it really had a huge effect then I don't see why they weren't included on most cards in the past.

As for RAM the brand is basically meaningless. Hell, RAM is the simplest part to buy as long as you're not overwhelmed by all the numbers with speed and latency. You don't even need to worry about the OEM (seeing as most chips will be coming from Samsung IIRC).

Say you take two 8GB kits that run at 2400MHz CL11. One kit costs £63 and another costs £130.

The £63 kit of RAM is from AData, specifically the XPG V2.

The £130 kit of RAM is from Corsair, specifically the Dominator Platinum.

So what's the difference?

Well...

The heat spreader, brand and thermal material... Yes... That's all that's different, both kits even have the same (lifetime) warranty. They will perform exactly the same, any extra money you pay is just for the name and a bit of metal.

So basically, all RAM kits are reliable and there's no benefit to picking an overpriced kit over a cheap kit other than aesthetics.

Edited by TheMcSame

So basically, all RAM kits are reliable and there's no benefit to picking an overpriced kit over a cheap kit other than aesthetics.

...And, you know, cooling or timing? Because those do matter in some cases.

The heat spreader, brand and thermal material... Yes... That's all that's different

As well as the PCBs being obviously different, the timing is different even comparing CL11 to CL11, and likely several other things you missed.

Whether or not it's worth the extra cost will vary from one consumer to the next, which is why there is more than one product available. But to say they're the exact same is simply wrong.

Edited by Burbalade

...And, you know, cooling? Because that does matter in some cases.

The heat spreader, brand and thermal material... Yes... That's all that's different

As well as the PCBs being obviously different and likely several other things you missed.

RAM cooling really doesn't matter at this point, especially with DDR4 coming to the mainstream platform soon. While a kit with no heat spreader wont last as long as higher temps aren't great for components, chances are you'll have moved onto the next standard before the kit dies. Besides, there's cheap kits with heat spreaders that will do just fine, which still supports my point: there's no need to buy an overpriced kit for any reason other than aesthetics.

IMO RAM is one of the biggest money wasters as people will go for a known brand name (which generally tends to be over priced) with a fancy heat spreader, don't get me wrong it sounds like the thing to do but considering brand and even OEM is irrelevant when it comes to RAM as all the companies that supplied bad RAM have essentially been wiped off the map so you might as well get a cheap kit that looks good. I picked up a 2400MHz CL11 kit for £63 which was a pretty good deal considering most kits I could find were about £60.

PCB layout is also irrelevant, nevertheless you're right, it is a difference.