• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursed

• sivispacem

• HaRdSTyLe_83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got the cable management done on my setup, and a few other bits and bobs. Getting there.            

Iconic Formula 1 livery. JPS.               Matching custom keyboard       Still moving things around.  

On 5/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, Straypuft said:

New video card and memory.

1. I have the Saitek X52 as well, but no pedals. What pedals do you use?

2. What is that thing behind the computer that looks like a turret from Portal?

3. Does the cat like sleeping there because it's warm?

Edited by Dryspace
Typo
13 hours ago, Dryspace said:

1. I have the Saitek X52 as well, but no pedals. What pedals do you use?

2. What is that thing behind the computer that looks like a turrel from Portal?

3. Does the cat like sleeping there because it's warm?

1. Saitek Rudder Pedals that I use with my Saitek yoke.

2. Whelen Liberty Lightbar with a turret on it :3

3. I like to think its warm, but I also think its so he can be close to me

Custom 3D printed I/O cover arrived

IMG-20200523-123335.jpg

Resleeved my 8-Pin CPU to match the rest of my cables. Will need rejigging when I take the AIO out, very little clearance.

IMG-20200524-105507.jpg

Also tweaked and tidied my other custom cables.

IMG-20200524-105708.jpg

Will finish sanding and filling the I/O cover and get it painted tomorrow.

• 21 Inch HDMI Monitor Samsung & 18.5 Inch Dell Monitor (extended display for work) 
  • Samsung EVO 120GB SSD for OS, 500GB HDD (WD 7200RPM; Storage)
  • Core i3 7100 3.9Ghz, 3MB Cache
  • MSI H110M LGA 1151
  • Zotac GeForce 1660Ti Twin
  • Corsair VS450
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB+4GB Memory
  • Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050

COVID made me return back to my parent's place. My work laptop is with me and I don't game on it even though it has good specs (2019 hardware) and a 1660. I was never for me to build a good PC and my age old setup was overdue. With blaze's help, I initially prepared a AMD 200GE build and then swapped the AM4 MB & GE for a H110 Unit and a Kaby Lake, paired with the 1660. My requirements were simple, not heavy on budget and I assembled the whole thing under $200 (INR) including the Monitor. Everything in this setup is now and yes, it runs some of the good AAA titles with 47-58FPS depending on the settings.

tXIV0Vp.png

150LuOc.png

BtuVU3K.png

wbxfBUb.png

• Like 2

@Dryspace no more mismatched coolers, still slightly offset but nothing I can do about that.

20200530_125601.jpg

Some marginal upgrades since last time; jumped from 24 to 48GB of RAM, upgraded the Xeons from x5650s to x5675s, 2TB drive and a sound card to replace the awful USB adapter I was using prior. Was a bit wary of having the first CPU in pull without cooler air but the temps are solid and better than the old Intel cooler.

unknown.png

And here's CB R20 and a Firestrike run.

unknown.png

fs.png

jXFkCc2.png

51 minutes ago, Bucky Calvera said:

I also have 3dmark, but I do not know what all that means. Is my pc a potato?

No I'd say that seems about right for a 9700K and RTX2070 running stock to mild overclocks.

For context, a moderately overclocked RTX2080 and 6900K yields ~22,500

Untitled.png

The IPC advantage of your newer chip sees you do well in the Combined scoring.

6 hours ago, Blaze said:

@Dryspace no more mismatched coolers, still slightly offset but nothing I can do about that.

It looks like serious business now! The fact that they weren't matched and that dual processor boards aren't common is why I didn't realize I was looking at two CPUs originally. On the temps, I'm not in the least surprised with the Noctuas.

I probably gotta learn how to do all that overclocking stuff, gimme better performance. Though it runs ok as it is stock most games.

• 2 weeks later...

AiUCUOG.png

Decided to take a leap and put in a i5 7400 as the i3 (exchanged it) was proving much of a bottleneck for my 1660. Was hoping to get my hands on an i7 but the prices weren't in my favor as of now. The i7 6700 was about the same as i5 7400 but I decided to go for the newer one anyway. Will try popping in an i7 when I get my hands on one that suits my budget. The price of NOS (new old stock) is ridiculous due to lack of supplies.

Edited by Jimmy
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Decided to take a leap and put in a i5 7400 as the i3 (exchanged it) was proving much of a bottleneck for my 1660...

I was surprised when I saw your 450W PSU, but I suppose with a mid-range GPU and only a couple of peripherals you might actually still have enough headroom for a decent life expectancy.

Now that I think about it, when I installed my current PSU in 2015 I still had the mentality that, in addition to efficiency headroom, I needed enough power to handle a possible second GPU in the future. I don't know if multiple-GPU support is going to turn around, but as of now that's probably not something I need to take into account with my next PSU.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

AiUCUOG.png

Decided to take a leap and put in a i5 7400 as the i3 (exchanged it) was proving much of a bottleneck for my 1660. Was hoping to get my hands on an i7 but the prices weren't in my favor as of now. The i7 6700 was about the same as i5 7400 but I decided to go for the newer one anyway. Will try popping in an i7 when I get my hands on one that suits my budget. The price of NOS (new old stock) is ridiculous due to lack of supplies.

Probably would've went for the 6700 imo, yeah it's a gen behind but lets face it the progression between chips at that time was pretty minimal and the 6700 is arguably better; higher stock and boost clocks (3.4/4GHz vs 3.0/3.5GHz, 4 core 8 thread vs 4 core 4 thread, higher L3 cache etc) - only real benefit the 7400 has over it is being able to run slightly higher speed memory (2400MHz vs 2133MHz)/higher memory bandwidth.

8 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Probably would've went for the 6700 imo, yeah it's a gen behind but lets face it the progression between chips at that time was pretty minimal and the 6700 is arguably better; higher stock and boost clocks (3.4/4GHz vs 3.0/3.5GHz, 4 core 8 thread vs 4 core 4 thread, higher L3 cache etc) - only real benefit the 7400 has over it is being able to run slightly higher speed memory (2400MHz vs 2133MHz)/higher memory bandwidth.

The higher memory bandwidth is the only reason why I went for the 7400. Also, I forgot to mention, the 6700 was an unboxed one and used for a bit. The lack of warranty wasn't any assuring. I preferred one that I could have a proper billing done with. 

43 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

I was surprised when I saw your 450W PSU, but I suppose with a mid-range GPU and only a couple of peripherals you might actually still have enough headroom for a decent life expectancy.

Now that I think about it, when I installed my current PSU in 2015 I still had the mentality that, in addition to efficiency headroom, I needed enough power to handle a possible second GPU in the future. I don't know if multiple-GPU support is going to turn around, but as of now that's probably not something I need to take into account with my next PSU.

I'm not expecting to upgrade anything on this setup anytime soon. Multi GPUs are out of question as I'm not into heavy gameplay. I still have a PS4. This PC was supposed to be a casual gameplay and web browsing setup with nothing fancy. I have always contemplated on getting a VS550 but the current one does the job fine and I literally have zero complaint against it. I have no additional hardware to add in near future. If I go for a 9th gen anytime soon, I'll go ahead and get a 600w CM Platinum unit with decent case as well.

Edited by Jimmy
  • 2 weeks later...

got a new laptop a few weeks ago, an HP Pavillion with around 12 GB of RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor with a Radeon Vega 8 graphics card, it's obviously not meant for gaming but I'm mainly gonna use it for design stuff, that being said it does run some games pretty decently. hoping one day i'm able to get a decent gaming rig

AjpaTVw.jpg

AMVzMQE.png

• 2 weeks later...

For years I've been forced to either dabble here and there with Linux or dual boot with Windows. Here lately, I've really been wanting to just throw caution to the wind and dive straight into Arch. I'm not going to say I researched it for hours on end and got it right my first time or that I followed the guide all the way through without loading YouTube up on my phone or Googling here and there. Don't get me wrong, the guide is a great guide and possibly the most expansive installation guide I've ever seen/followed ; there were still parts in it where even when I wanted it to expand on what it meant I still didn't quite catch on. Anyways, I did archfi two times this year and both times I just didn't like my setup enough to justify even having it dual booted or taking up space for that matter. One setup had me on i3 and while I loved using the keyboard to do everything, I realized that in the end I love to just click my way through things about as much as I love to use the shortcuts. Then again, it's mainly more of the fact I'm still hardwired to do things through a GUI and with i3 it's more of let's hit the terminal and do this kind of approach while my Linux knowledge is that of a baby learning to talk.

My next approach was XFCE which I love. It's simple, lightweight and just to the point. It's so modular that you don't even have to really know it's there until you want it to be there. I wanted to change the LXDM theme cause it's just hideous and though I do keep my PC on and unlocked, the times I do restart my PC and have to login, I want something nice to look at y'know. Well, somehow I got so knee-deep and strung out trying to get LXDM to somewhat look the part I had envisioned I made it where I couldn't even login. Somehow bounced back from that and my first move was to get rid of that bastard display manager known as LXDM. This time, thinking I had sent ol LXDM packing and was onto bigger and better things, I restarted my PC. Couldn't even get it to boot. Had to throw in the thumb drive on this one, go back into the live environment or whatever and try and sort it out. I'm on my phone digging through all four corners of the internet to fix this and think that I do. Oh, yeah, I also had this problem from installing grub that made it a bit trickier to boot into Windows so after fixing my display manager, I went to work on my grub installation. That's a whole other story, so, let's just leave it at I had to throw a Windows 10 thumb drive and just go back to Windows for a while. I was down but not out. I kept surfing the internet for things related to Linux. Kept my eyes on ProtonDB and still do, for that matter. Even liked a couple hundred r/unixpr0n submissions. I'm not necessarily into ricing but I love seeing what people can do.

So a week or so ago, my gaming buddies and I basically decided we're not going to play fiveM/RAGEMP and seeing as how those were the only reasons I wanted to keep Windows around anyway, I had my eyes on going full on into Arch again. So, as of 1am this past Tuesday morning, I'm running Arch Linux full time. I didn't go all r/unixpr0n with it but I didn't keep my setup bare-bones either. Seeing as how I don't see my desktop much I opted to just go with one color for both panels and be done with it. Now, I'm not saying I won't try and go all riced out at some point but for now I'm taking baby steps, still learning y'know. Anyway, I'll throw a screenshot up of one of my monitors and end this story here. Tried to share this with my Discord buddies on our server but they just trolled me about the last few times I've mucked things up when trying to make the move to Linux lol

Oh, yeah, I'm a Star Trek fan as you can see. Even my hard drives are Star Trek names. Data, Spock, etc.

n6QlksW.png

A friend offered about $350 for my $200 build which I had made with Blaze's help by salvaging used/unboxed parts and it was a pretty great deal. Got rid of it and started looking to build another PC. A Xeon E3 1225, a H61 Board from Gigabyte and two 8GB DDR3 HyperX sticks and I was all set. Still had my RX 570 so it wasn't a bad deal at all. I salvaged a good PC in no time. Initially assembled inside:

iMQHGBz.jpg

kMt5Ngi.jpg

fj6hiau.jpg

HMlPgSo.jpg

The problem? Heating issues as the airflow wasn't really great and the stock Intel Cooler is what I had at that point of time. The lockdown isn't making it any easier to grab parts but I went ahead and got a few cooler. Liquid cooling wasn't a priority and besides CM Hyper 212 is pretty time tested for such small setups.

7mKtkKV.jpg \

I was like "why stop there" and instead got a decent case.

v0mGY7x.jpg

wpzZRTv.jpg

It's called Antec NX200. Fairly budget midtower with magnetic dust filters and supports liquid cooling with enough space for a good cable management setup. I also got a Bronze 80 power supply (Antec Atom V550). Cabinet comes with pre-installed LED fans at front and rear. First picture is of my setup with friend's 1060 3GB.

N868KPm.jpg

vpglEcm.jpg

TLsUFjx.jpg

2ZQFyGc.jpg

wF7xlta.jpg

Ung6Kig.jpg

Finished product. Some cables are still a bit messy and shall be arranged later on.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, KDA said:

5SxXfGr.jpg

That's f*cking gorgeous.

• YEE 1
17 hours ago, KDA said:

Snipple.

Looks awesome, mate! Almost like a render! 😃

21 hours ago, KDA said:

Nice. That's one of the most clean and sleek builds I've ever seen. I would love to take a look inside the case (hardware arrangement). Post pics soon.

OT: Do you work at the EUMC?

Bought a laptop end of last yr, hp pavilion, i7 8th gen, 8g ram, gtx 1060...was supposed to be multi purpose but have been intending to properly build my first PC(previous one was pre built and totally crappy).

Doing the research now, looking at £2k budget max. This thread has inspired me a little 😃

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, KDA said:

I haven't seen one of those full acrylic clear cases since the early 2000s, back when forums like nvNews were around. 

That was the whole reason I got it, the first case I had (or atleast remember) was very similar albeit with red acrylic instead, around 2004/2005ish. That build is just for a htpc/media PC and I needed a case, saw that one pop up on ebay for £20 and I just had to get it.

Almost done now...

IMG-20201004-183445.jpg

IMG-20201004-183457.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

4G30tht.jpg

The silver laptop is my new HP x360. The other laptop is a Lenovo B490 and upgraded to a H81 Arch system. The Monitor is a BenQ GW2780 27 inch screen.

• 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10510U
  • 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 16 GB)
  • 2x512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce MX250 2GB

q3YtavGF.jpg

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC GAMING

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

ASUS TUF GT501

ASUS ROG RYUJIN 360

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32 GB DDR4-3200 Dual Kit

be quiet! POWER ZONE 850W

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB

Samsung 860 QVO 2 TB

WD Gold Enterprise Class 16 TB

And my 17 year old Seagate HDD that has 0 broken sectors 320 GB. Got my music collection on that old drive. :D

Edited by Mexicola9302
  • Like 2