• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursed

• sivispacem

• HaRdSTyLe_83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got the cable management done on my setup, and a few other bits and bobs. Getting there.            

Iconic Formula 1 livery. JPS.               Matching custom keyboard       Still moving things around.  

39 minutes ago, KDA said:

If the rings are easily removed, I'm almost certain a can of spray paint will match the sleeve color better since it seems to be more true yellow, rather than orange.

yeah they come off easily, those must already be painted, ive only seen white, blue and red

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83
20 minutes ago, owl-man said:

What fans are those anyway? They remind me of old Corsair ones.

They are- the old SP120s in Quiet Edition. Great static pressure and well tuned for radiators despite being 6 or 7 years old now. I've got about a dozen of them in total.

8 hours ago, HaRdSTyLe_83 said:

yeah they come off easily, those must already be painted, ive only seen white, blue and red

Yep, they're sanded back, plastic primed and sprayed Montana Gold Shock Yellow. It's a very nice sunshine colour that compliments the Mayhem's Pastel sunshine perfectly, but doesn't match the motherboard or cables very well.

I've got a can of their "100% yellow" which should do the job given that it's, well, 100% yellow.

9 hours ago, KDA said:

If the rings are easily removed, I'm almost certain a can of spray paint will match the sleeve color better 

That's my weekend plan!

Only pain will be removing the ones at the bottom given the fans have to come off the mounting plate for access, which means I might need another dozen anti vibration mounts.

There really is something quite appealing about the way those older fans look, I myself intend to pick up 3 120mm NB E-Loops at some point, one of the new ARGB ones, one of the classic white ones and one of the Alphacool transparent blue ones, just to see which of the three ends up looking best in the FT-04.

And done- for now, and aside from swapping out any of the coloured fan rings at least.

IMG-20200201-132502.jpg

IMG-20200201-131440.jpg

Only casualty was one of my Samsung 850 Evos- basically ceased being recognised by anything, even my hardware based reader.

Sadly, it had a large proportion of my games, and very nearly all my music, on it.

The 6900K is looking pretty promising- 4.2GHz at 1.2v IBT'd with ease.

3 hours ago, sivispacem said:

Only casualty was one of my Samsung 850 Evos- basically ceased being recognised by anything, even my hardware based reader.

How long did your 850 EVO last? Was there anything about your usage patterns that you would consider stressful?

I still have my 750GB 840 EVO from my Feb 2014 build, and am wondering if I should be concerned about something similar. I have allowed 10% overprovisioning from the beginning (so a 628GB volume), and on top of that have been careful never to get much less than 100GB free (It's an OS/Applications volume, and I've had a massive number of games/demos installed simultaneously without having to compromise).

It occurs to me that although I haven't noticed any issues, I should check my transfer rates for any degradation.

Edited by Dryspace
16 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

How long did your 850 EVO last?

About four years.

16 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

Was there anything about your usage patterns that you would consider stressful?

With the exception or relatively frequent benchmarking, not especially. It didn't live a very write heavy life. 

That's better.

IMG-20200203-084453.jpg

Nothing crazzzy, but it's my happy place. Excuse the sh*t quality pictures!

As for the Corsair K70 LUX (love that thing) I'm wanting a 60% keyboard & wondering if the Ducky Mecha Mini or the One2 mini are decent?

8-DA6-E773-C466-47-DE-87-D8-121302815450

087-D9246-D088-4-A02-92-EA-C3-EA3-FB144-

909-BBE03-5502-4-D2-E-8-DB4-CBFF2-B00-BD

my screens position works great. i mean i really have close to 0 eyes tiredness. and absolute no incomfort in gaming compared to precedent desktop set up. the subwoofer below works great too. much, much better sound. now still need to find a cheap mini clip lamp for night typing, and it'll be perfect

Edited by jpm1
On 2/1/2020 at 1:27 PM, sivispacem said:

IMG-20200201-131440.jpg

that is alot of ram 😀

edit:

new PC case arrived today

bW3wSgK.jpg

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't normally like caseless PCs but that looks friggin' awesome. What's the spec now?

is posting just the desktop background allowed? if not, you can remove my post.

https://i.imgur.com/pYXQRkG.png

if you must know what hardware i am using, i have an acer nitro 5 laptop with a 2500U and an RX 560X. i upgraded the RAM to 16GB. i got some spare cash so i may get an SSD as well.

• Like 1

Upsized my speakers to some pretty awesome Q Acoustic passives, along with a surprisingly good Class D desktop amp.

IMG-20200419-101354.jpg

Going to wallmount my ROG Swift to save on desk real estate.

• 2 weeks later...

Cables could've been somewhat better but I ain't gonna spend too much time stressing over that.

20200506_160508.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Blaze said:

Cables could've been somewhat better but I ain't gonna spend too much time stressing over that.

What is that huge cooler with the Intel logo doing? Also, I have a Noctua DH-15. I had never before used an aftermarket cooler, and was stunned at the difference it made to the average and max temps. When I touch the radiator it never even feels warm, let alone hot.

8 hours ago, Dryspace said:

What is that huge cooler with the Intel logo doing?

Presumably cooling one of the two CPUs...

31 minutes ago, sivispacem said:

Presumably cooling one of the two CPUs...

I didn't even know dual-processor motherboards were still a "thing", in the general consumer market anyway. Interesting.

In that case, I'm afraid the mismatched coolers offend my sense of symmetry! To be fair it would bother me just as much in a different case.

2 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

I didn't even know dual-processor motherboards were still a "thing", in the general consumer market anyway

I don't think they are really and I'm interested to known from @Blaze if he experiences any oddities with dual socket handling in day-to-day use.

@Dryspace yeah as Sivis said, dual cpus. You'd be right in saying they aren't a thing in the general consumer market, I think the last enthusiast grade dual socket boards would've been the EVGA SR-2 or Intel's Skulltrail D5400XS. I guess dual socket consumer boards went the same route SLI did in the sense cpus/cards became so powerful on their own that dual socket/SLI became redundant/offered no real benefits. As for the mismatched heatsinks, it kind of irks me too but it's very hit or miss to find heatsinks for that socket - it's a standard LGA1366 socket but it uses m3 threaded standoffs instead of being able to put in your own backplate, so you have to find something that will be able to be mounted to that, not foul the other heatsink and not block access to the DIMM slots. The first cooler is an Intel E75476-001 which shipped with first gen extreme edition CPU's and fortunately threads straight into the provided standoffs on the board. The second cooler is a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 which required me adding some 2mm standoffs to the existing standoffs and mounting the cooler to that. I agree with your sentiments on the quality of Noctua's coolers, even on these chips (x5650s) that are 32nm and pull 120w it keeps the temps real low.

@sivispacem As far as day to day usage goes I haven't seen any real world impact/issues per say, that being said I'm definitely not playing triple A titles with the most demanding game I play probably being GTAV, but I do alot of video editing with Vegas/Premiere, Photoshop work etc and the high core count helps massively in intensive tasks ie rendering. I can speak on the hypotheticals that could cause an issue though I haven't really ran into any problems because of them:

• LGA1366 is pretty long in the tooth, so you're missing out on a fair few instruction sets ie AVX.
  • Depending on the board your 16x slot might only be 8x electrically but I think the difference from that is pretty negligible.
  • That chipset gets toasty, Intel REALLY dropped the ball on that by sticking a 12.5mm high 55g heatsink on a chipset responsible for handling both CPU's hence why I had to VHB tape a 40mm Fractal fan on there.
  • Lack of expansion - that ones a given if you're going back to that era of hardware, gonna miss out on creature comforts ie m2, usb3 etc. Nothing that can't be solved with an add in card if you have the ports.
  • While it'll power ahead in multi threaded work you're gonna fall in anything single threaded. As a rudimentary example a Cinebench R15 run would net me about 1.4k multi threaded putting me way ahead of a 4770k, 3930k etc but in single threaded it'd fall short.
  • Efficiency, power draw, thermals etc.
  • All the caveats of server board stuff ie limited expansion/io, sound cards, weird board layouts (sure supermicro lets just stack the 2 EPS12v 8 pins on top of the 24 pin) etc.

It's a fun platform to get into and it's interesting that you can build a 12 core, 24 thread, 24gb RAM machine for around the £100 mark for the platform. Obviously a midrange Ryzen chip ie a 2600x will have the same if not better performance at half the core count, lower temps, lower power draw etc and in all honesty I'll probably move to a Ryzen based machine in the next year or two. That being said, if you are in need of a cheap workstation then I personally think 1366 is the way to go.

If there's any other things you were curious on that I missed out just ask.

DxjG8Mm.png

I think my next upgrades is definitely gonna be storage, probably up it to a 256GB SSD and a 2 or 4TB drive depending on price.

Edited by Blaze