4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TonyResta

Strange Acceleration Bug

Question

TonyResta

Hi, ive just installed a fresh copy of Vice City PC so that i could test some new modding techniques without screwing up my San Andreas, so everything went well, i set up all the options like display and audio, after the cutscene where your outside kens office i got into the sentinel and accelerated, the car started tilting back and bouncing as if i was using hydraulics, so i got out of it and got into another car (hermes) and the same problem again, only this time it was skraping the ground becuase of the low car, what is the problem, everything is fresh and new, all legit, ive had this game a year and never got this problem before, now i dont know what to do, thanks for your time and i hope you can help, just to make things easier ive made a video of the bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bVlLwHxdA

(the low quality and random lags are not beuase of the game but the recording program)

thanks biggrin.gif

TonyResta

Can someone help?

omega_c

You might have done this already, but:

• Start a new game file
  • Uninstall + reinstall the game
  • Try the game on another computer (a friends/work)

otherwise... I'm not sure. Have you tried messing with the controls? Maybe it's like when you're driving a voodoo.

TonyResta

Well ive tried everything you said but i aint tried it on another computer, the fact that it never used to do this and now even if i reinstall it still occurs, whatdo u mean mess around with the controls?

omega_c

I mean change the keys you use. WASD could control steering, as could left and right (arrows), but the up and down arrows could control how Tommy leans.

In a car, etc, make him lean forwards and backwards. See if that has any effect.

Does it do that with motorcycles as well?

TonyResta

no, im using a joystick to play, but ive also got WASD set too just incase i dont wnt to use my controller, ive tried leaning forward but nothing.

omega_c

Hm... I'm really not sure. Try downloading a finished savegame and seeing if that makes a difference...

TonyResta

Nope, ive tried several saves now and same problem.

TonyZimmzy

This happens everytime I start a new game. It goes away after you do the first mission

TonyZimmzy

This happens everytime I start a new game. It goes away after you do the first mission

...son of a bitch

Edited by TonyZimmzy

TonyResta

Does it? OMG, im going to try it right now, ill edit this post to report whats happened.

EDIT: Nope, doesnt fix it for me

Edited by tony-resta

Grant

Heheh, this is more noticible when you actually install the Myriad Islands mod for some bazaar reason. Try going into your My Documents folder, in there should be a "GTA VICE CITY USER FILES" folder, try deleting the data file that's in there, not your saved games or anything though, it resets some settings and at times has been able to stop that weird bug. Does the bug sort of go away when driving at higher speeds but makes it virtually impossible to make any kind of manouvers? If yes then i know the problem and that should fix it. If not try posting some more details as you never really drove around for very long during your video. It did help me understand the problem though, for that I thank you mate.

TonyResta

Ok, ive made a new and longer video using various cars to show the bug, also some high speed driving to show that it doesnt do it when im going fast, when the video says "Notice The Sparks" it means the esperanto coming up.

Heres the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRSMSeEgEHQ

[(the low quality and random lags are not beuase of the game but the recording program) ive also added an eightys song to go with the feel lol]

Tell me if you have any solutions, im also going to try deleting the .SET file like Grant said, ill post back later.

MoWGLi

- Go to Start>Run and type in "dxdiag".

- Wait for the little bar to load and scan your settings, then click on the "Sound" page.

- Find the slide bar for the sound acceleration, should be the only one on the page.

- It should be on "Full Acceleration", change it to "Normal Acceleration" or lower.

This SHOULD fix it.

TonyResta

What section is that, the first is no acceleration, the last is full acceleration but whichof the other two is it, becuase my laptp is in italian and the two options seem pretty much the same meaning.

MoWGLi

This is how it should look. On mine, at least, there is several options for the sound acceleration. "Full" will cause the in game issue, while "Standard" and lower will solve the problem.

user posted image

TonyResta

Nope, doesnt work, any other suggestions?

Zom-B

I had this problem too, never managed to fix it so i just never play vice anymore. sad.gif

Ring_of_Fire

Obviously it's because of cheats/mods, stop using 'em... tounge.gif

* Do a full uninstallation of the entire game (this include any mods that may appear in Add 'n' Remove Programs and/or the Vice City's main game folder). Delete all of those I mentioned and make sure to delete the [.set] file in your My Documents folder. Yeah, and make sure all of your sound & video drivers are up-to-date; now perform a reinstallation of the game.

I suggust after doing the above, to use Win 98 compatibility mode and turn frame limiter on. As for that video you showed to us, I would rather prefer you to start a new game to see if it works and not use your already modded save file.

HerrieM
Obviously it's because of cheats/mods, stop using 'em... tounge.gif

It certainly not because of cheats/mods.

I have the same problem, and never found a solution. I'm curious to see if someone else knows a solution.

Ring_of_Fire

It's weird as to how the millions of gamers who don't use mods, don't have this so-called acceleration problem. The original PC version of R*'s Grand Theft Auto: Vice City doesn't carry "acceleration" bugs in the first place. In other words, a fresh installation should fix this scenario with ease. And I can't see why the hardware drivers itself would cause in-game corruption like "vehicle acceleration" problems -- sounds more like software file editing and game debugging to me.

It certainly not because of cheats/mods.

And no one can be sure that it is not because of the use of trainers or additional mods.

I have the same problem, and never found a solution.

Have you updated to the latest video and sound card drivers; turned on frame limiter; used Win98 compatibility; and set the Display to [resolution] x 32-bit? Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game? I think what you could do is to use keyboard devices instead of gamepads/joysticks like what tony-resta was using. The input device drivers may also contribute to this problem, but try clicking on 'Restore Defaults' in the Controller Setup or use the Classic Controls (usually for gamepads) instead of Standard Controls (usually for mouse + keyboard combo). Note: You should make sure that if you are not using a keyboard/mouse to play your games, setup your gamepad properly in 'Control Panel' -> 'Game Controllers'. This applies also in the Controller Setup for Vice City as stated above.

Ring_of_Fire

Yeah, that may be the cause. But when I start a new game, that never ever happened to me. I think I know what's the cause: if any of your old saved games are corrupted, modded (or you cheat and saved simultaneously), and then you start a new game immediately after that, it may cause it to mess up the game's core. Remember the Taxi glitch trick?!

Another factor is that -- I don't even know but -- 'carmods.dat' I hear about may corrupt your cars (only guessing). The best thing to do is to just uninstall, delete the entire folder, and then reinstall fully for a fresh installation. I am pretty sure some files in the game's main folder were edited or missing.

Just a note: If you were using any mods before, most likely you are still using them, and are bugging up the Vice City files in the main folder. Also, even if you say that you didn't use any mods and have uninstalled them, the damage probably have been already done to the game. Plus, if you have saved your game with those mods on even one of your save files, it can corrupt the others just by loading the modded one initially, and then loading up another. So that's why starting a new game doesn't always work and this is why I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling. What R* did (still only guessing) to the game was that it kind of remembers whatever cheats or mods you had in your messed-up save file, and then it carries this over to the rest of all the 8 user game files (pretty much the only option is to start a New Game immediately without actually using any of your other saved files that may have been already corrupted).

(Fuz & Spuds, am I allowed to do a triple-post?)

Update: I know how to fix it!

The cause for this acceleration bug is now clear. This occurs when you attempt to deliberately kill yourself using the 'Suicide' cheatcode whilst on a mission. What I found interesting was that I spawned at the Hyman Stadium for some reason. So I went to start a new game immediately after that; now I realized that the sound coming from the car when you accelerate, sounds completely different prior to loading my old saved file. Note: What I am saying here guys is that this acceleration bug also happenned to me... smile.gif So, this bug seems pretty normal when you fail a mission and end up spawning at Hyman Stadium. As a matter of fact, I think a taxi vehicle is probably waiting for you somewhere if you guys are having "strange acceleration bugs". If none is there, then probably the game is still remembering data from your old saved file. But I still think doing rubbish such as using cheats / mods play a role though, or the game's engine itself.

EDIT: I dug deeper into this problem and found out that the "strange acceleration bug" glitch occurs randomly. So if you started a new game and never realize that you had the bug and you saved, then you'd be affected throughout the entire game. However, I managed to do this glitch in ratios of 3:10 when I failed a mission and started a new game after that. Sometimes I use more than one cheats, used even mods/trainers, spawned at the Hyman Stadium, and still didn't get the bug. Well guys, it's just a freaky random bug...  dozingoff.gif

Nope, doesnt work, any other suggestions?

I not sure if you even remember this. But when you start a new game, did you see a white flash of light before they show to you the Marco Bistro cutscene interior? Usually that's an indication of the character "death sequence" appearing and then that may be because you got killed on a mission and spawned somewhere else. Also, sometimes when you interfere with the first set of cutscenes and press buttons simultaneously, it may activate the glitch when your acceleration is messed up before the game had the chance to load up properly. Anyway, if you want to know if you'll get the bug, start a new game again, and when you enter into the car -- the car should sound much quieter instead of louder.

EDIT 2: Heh, usually when you are walking up and down in the Downtown area for long periods, and the car you go into doesn't have a radio station set, you may at times have this bug randomly. I think it is some sort of conflict with other vehciles such as helicopters, boats, and bikes when you use them prior to getting into a car. But I am not sure, it just happens at times when you are walking up and down not listening to any radio stations in Downtown or anywhere else. You were right though tony-resta and HerrieM, it's not cheats or mods. But one thing I know certainly is that the bug goes away once you exit and load up Vice City again (unless you saved your game with the bug still active in it, you might have to load up another save that doesn't have the bug and then transfer this "cure" back to the original). Yeah, I know, it's a really weird bug to have when you don't enter into a car for extensive hours... notify.gif

I don't even know what the hell I was saying in all these posts...

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

LEViANT

Hi

I have that problem too, and i know what is it.

Its just coz u have too hight fps, and u have many other bugs too (max speed of cars is less, boats too slow etc).

Try to turn FPS limiter on, yeah... playing with 30 fps is bad idea, or try to use Vsync and its will give u 60 fps but "mouse oil" effect too. confused.gif

Anyway u need to have less than 160 FPS for normal gameplay.

Ring_of_Fire

...actually if you read Here, you would have seen that the official cause for the bug had been already fixed. (Search up for "Problem #23" -> press CTRL+F)

LEViANT

Yea but that solution not fixed this problem

Ring_of_Fire

Yes it does! I have done this bug so many times before that I can literally call it one of my own "glitches".

What you do is to avoid driving near to a vehicle. Now Alt-tab out (or Windows key) and resume gameplay. Sorry, but one of the "alternatives" for Problem #23 were in fact the "solution" to the actual problem. I will see if Fuzzy Juzzy can change the order.

LEViANT

I meant that that solution has not helped for me. In any case i have other bugs with that.

Ring_of_Fire

You must remember though that you can't possibly expect the bug to occur 0% of the time. Also, are you positively... positively sure that the bug you are referring to is when the car scrapes on the ground? If you want a movie or screenshot of me doing this glitch several times, with all due respect I will!

Solution:

How to do the "Strange Acceleration Bug" glitch with an unmodded game:

Go to other nearby vehicles while inside your car that has a loud engine. Press Windows key to go back to the desktop, and then resume gameplay. You should see that your car's engine is not loud and the the car will be moving in a weird way on its wheels.

How to fix the "Strange Acceleration Bug" glitch with an unmodded game:

While inside your car that has the acceleration bug, stay area from traffic as there'll be an engine conflict with your vehicle. So park you car somewhere quiet and press on Windows key. Resume gameplay and test the engine; you will realize that the bug has been fixed!

What's the exact cause of this bug/glitch?

Advice: Although this may not seem to be the natural cause, but don't leave Vice City running in the taskbar for too long. Also, don't do things like pressing the Windows key while you are driving in front of other cars that too have engines.

Oh, and by the way, did you notice that you and I bumped a 2 month old thread? Even with the edit I made before, it's a still a 1 month bump. ph34r.gif

playing with 30 fps is bad idea,

I am using a capped fps of 30 with the frame limiter on, and I can get/not get the bug to occur. tounge.gif

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

LEViANT

i know about the old of thread, but i want to find the solution, these fixes dont work with me, and mine is not so good.

hmm okay, maybe u have the bugs like: Avery mission when his strech spawns but dont slides, dias mission with boats when ur boat is slow, u cand do reverse on ALL cars etc... u have it?

P.S i have a clean installation. all was ok before i bought the new pc.

Edited by LEViANT

Ring_of_Fire

So why is it possible for me to do it everytime then whether or not I choose to? I can fix it or choose not to fix it anytime I want. It's time for a movie of what I'm saying.

Please tell me which bug exactly you're having. I have just edited my previous post.

but i want to find the solution

If you don't know what I am talking about, the easiest of solutions is to exit Vice City and load up your save game. Get inside a car and the bug shouldn't occur, unless you deliberately went and Alt-tab out of the game again. If this solution doesn't work then you have a modded or a different copy...!

...Uninstall/Reinstall game, get updated drivers, start a new game and try again. sigh.gif

Avery mission when his strech spawns but dont slides

That is a cutscene. It is a ghost vehicle too without nobody inside. That's supposed to happen. And cars aren't supposed to slide.

dias mission with boats when ur boat is slow

What's the speed of boats? How you are supposed to know that's not normal? Looks like that is in relationship from the phrase "Strange Acceleration Bug" where pressing the acceleration button don't make any vehicle go faster. confused.gif

u cand do reverse on ALL cars etc...

Can't or can? Cars always reverse, and it seems the only way in which it doesn't if the controller setup driving controls are not configured properly.

And I hope these bugs are not ones that actually arise when you start having "Strange Acceleration Bugs"? If this is true, I will test it. Otherwise, you are bringing up a totally different and new problem to this discussion. Seriously, there is no way random bugs like this can happen with a fresh copy of Vice City!

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

LEViANT

done it all - fixes, drivers etc - nothing.

you have a modded or a different copy

no, i have the same copy which i installed on my old pc.

btw i have the problem in the gta3 too.

can i ask u something? iF u have really fast pc can u do som things like reverse on cars or avery missions without fps limiter?