3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Crokey

Grumpy Old Forumers

angeldust

My legs are hurting - cycling 11 miles to a skatepark, skating all day and cycling home wasn't the best idea I'm sore as f*ck.

Motherstep

Technology is weird thing to me, because it's simultaneously so convenient but also a colossal pain in the meatus. On the one hand, having something like Spotify, Hulu, Netflix or even YouTube is such a step forward in how we consume entertainment. For such a small cost (or in some cases, free) there's literally hundreds of thousands of hours of content for us to watch or listen to. There's absolutely something for everyone, and it's never more than a click away. On the other, it can be so easy to cause problems for yourself. I have a USB stick in my car stereo to play songs from, and due to a clicking error I accidentally reformatted it to one my radio doesn't recognise. It doesn't even say "not supported", it just blurts "cannot play" like I've somehow committed a crime. I've just spent the past hour cultivating folders and songs and formats and I don't even know if it'll work. I wish it was as easy to set hardware up as it is software. It's such a niche complaint but I'm extra salty today for whatever reason, so I'm taking aim at this unusually small 64GB memory stick that seems to throw more tantrums than a starved infant.

Cameron Star

I hate having to fix technology problems for old people. Like, I get I grew up with it and you didn't, but it's so darn frustrating having to explain the simplest things over and over and over and then try to understand what they're trying to tell me.

trip

I work in technology...and it sucks.  I'm also a "digital pioneer" so I think I'm burning out at this point.  

It doesn't help that I work in an environment locked in the 1950's.

Here is my cranky take on technology and the IT world:

I started in the mid 90's around the birth of the www on the internet.  A lot of people at home didn't have the internet and some(a larger number than you'd expect) didn't even have computers.  There was no YouTube, no streaming music or movies,  no Netflix...heck a hot new buzzword from back then was "ecommerce".  Being able to pay with a card on a website wasn't yet a thing.  My first www based transaction required me to fax my credit card info to the company.  I'm not kidding.  I faxed my credit card info to a place in Canada for a few horror movie posters.  My credit card info just sat in a fax bin for all to see!

People though us IT people were wizards.  What we did was pure magic and down right amazing to non tech people.  

We were gods among men.  I'm not kidding...gods!

Now every company has an IT department and they are generally hated.  Printer breaks "f*ckin IT".  No one likes IT anymore and it makes me sad.

We went from Gods to janitors.  Makes me sad.

E:

Having grown up back during the days of AM radio and TV going off the air at midnight...I'm still f*cking amazed at technology.  When I wirelessly print to my home printer...it still feels like magic to me.

Edited by trip

mr quick

I was definitely the coolest kid on the block because I knew how to do -a few- things with a computer, while my mates were all using the mouse two-handed. Compared to them, I was a real whiz. My dad's doing pretty damn well and rarely comes to me looking for aid - not bad for a man born in the mid-1940's! He probably uses his smartphone and iPad more than I do mine.

Apropos computers, I so regret getting this laptop. It's so cheap and all-plastic. God damn me for dropping my old, 6 year-old laptop from my carrying tray. 

Cameron Star
2 hours ago, trip said:

There was no YouTube, no streaming music or movies,  no Netflix...heck a hot new buzzword from back then was "ecommerce".

But, Grandpa, what did you do for fun?

trip
1 minute ago, Cameron Star said:

Think about it.  70's, 80's, some 90's before the internet.

We danced.

Haven't you seen the movies?

Mafia Assassin®

I have no problem teaching people how to use something, but God damn, it gets annoying when you have to explain a simple thing to someone 5, 6 times until they finally learn.

mr quick
7 hours ago, Cameron Star said:

Cameron Star

So like my only friend and one of the few people who I have a positive like/dislike ratio with finally got an XB1 a few months ago but since then he's rejected every invite and proposal to play a game together and our conversations have been getting shorter and less frequent.

Edit: Speak of the devil, he just asked if I wanted to play Halo. That was strangely coincidental.

Edited by Cameron Star

feckyerlife
39 minutes ago, Cameron Star said:

So like my only friend and one of the few people who I have a positive like/dislike ratio with finally got an XB1 a few months ago but since then he's rejected every invite and proposal to play a game together and our conversations have been getting shorter and less frequent.

Edit: Speak of the devil, he just asked if I wanted to play Halo. That was strangely coincidental.

kill him the whole time for being dick

Neon_Dreaming
On 2/13/2019 at 11:00 PM, trip said:

Think about it.  70's, 80's, some 90's before the internet.

We danced.

Haven't you seen the movies?

Are you Kevin Bacon?

Endjinn
3 hours ago, Cameron Star said:

I think it's safe to say your friend is on this forum :nervous: (it's not me, well it is, just not the one playing Halo :D).

Cameron Star
9 minutes ago, Endjinn said:

I think it's safe to say your friend is on this forum :nervous: (it's not me, well it is, just not the one playing Halo :D).

I don't think he even knows of this place. I don't want to embarrass myself.

angeldust
On 2/14/2019 at 6:40 AM, mr quick said:

FearThoseWhoFearHim
On 2/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, angeldust said:

My legs are hurting - cycling 11 miles to a skatepark, skating all day and cycling home wasn't the best idea I'm sore as f*ck.

I was cycling for hours in a 3.4KM circuit park and still was cycling 15KM at home with my legs dying without money and water, but that was my fault for not taking a metro station instead and I'm not gonna try anymore, this was some months ago.

OT: I can't believe someone can't print a picture as good as his friend did, I pay more printing in color and the other employee can't do his work good like his friend...

mr quick
On 2/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, Cameron Star said:

I don't think he even knows of this place. I don't want to embarrass myself.

Oh god, the idea of -some- of my closest friends finding my post history on this site... Possibly my biggest fear. I've been on here for 11 years, I said some dumb sh*t in that time, and overshared like a MADMAN at times. 

Cameron Star
1 hour ago, mr quick said:

Oh god, the idea of -some- of my closest friends finding my post history on this site... Possibly my biggest fear. I've been on here for 11 years, I said some dumb sh*t in that time, and overshared like a MADMAN at times. 

I haven't been here for half that long and wonder about some of the things I've said if they were too much.

mr quick

me when I was 16: uhh masdurbation XDDD electronic music BAD!!!!!! only BLUES is real!!!!!!!!!! uhhhh masturbation casual racism sexism 

...and it's all entombed in quotes in locked threads. Great 😛 

Cameron Star

I'm going to avoid you now.

mr quick

As do so many ;_; 

Cameron Star

Why won't my cat eat anything except the most expensive overpriced brands?

Edited by Cameron Star

sivispacem

Dealing with a procession of idiots on the dual carriageway. Here's a hint- if someone is closing on you at a 30mph differential, don't pull out to overtake the car in front and make them brake.

Especially not if the car you're overtaking is turning off anyway.

And especially not if you're not going to actually speed the f*ck up.

Endjinn
5 hours ago, mr quick said:

me when I was 16: uhh masdurbation XDDD electronic music BAD!!!!!! only BLUES is real!!!!!!!!!! uhhhh masturbation casual racism sexism 

...and it's all entombed in quotes in locked threads. Great 😛 

Unless you're actually Liam Neeson, I think you'll be fine.

mr quick

I wrote a piece for an assignment a year and a half ago, and never thought I'd go back to it so I only saved it at school, and the school's cloud. 

...today, I finally knew how I would make that tune performance-ready, so I wrote out all the parts, except the ending -- which I improvised on the assignment recording, and which was bloody brilliant. Unfortunately, the school wipes the SSD's every other semester, and last semester they switched clouds so it's all gone. I tried desperately searching for it as a shared file with mates of mine, but I'd only shared links to the now-dead cloud. 
Grumped at myself for being so stupid as to think you never go back to earlier work and can use it later on... 

ten-a-penny
On 2/17/2019 at 11:14 PM, sivispacem said:

Dealing with a procession of idiots on the dual carriageway. Here's a hint- if someone is closing on you at a 30mph differential, don't pull out to overtake the car in front and make them brake.

Especially not if the car you're overtaking is turning off anyway.

And especially not if you're not going to actually speed the f*ck up.

Or worse yet; when you're flashing every light you have on your car to tell the idiot in front to move the f*ck up to no avail, yet when you want to pass them they speed up like idiots, forcing you to slow down and get behind them and it cycles all over again. Happens nearly every day in Libya. The fools here should have their Licences revoked. For life.

sivispacem

People speeding up when I overtake tend not to be a problem unless it's something like a Ferrari...

mr quick

Tesla drivers are the absolute worst at this. They always seem to take it personally that I'm trying to pass, even though I almost never drive above the 90kmh speed limit after a close call. It's like they all have something to f*cking prove. 

e: Side note, the group on facebook called "TESLA owners worldwide" is a f*cking goldmine of alarming musk worship and smug bastards. If you're looking for jimmies to rustle...

Edited by mr quick

Shaundi.

I'm not for or against the #metoo movement but spray painting that hashtag on the statue of a sailor who kissed a woman at the end of WW2, who recently died, is pretty stupid.

Erased

My old ass is in pain(I'm 34). My back is killing me & so is my tailbone. I have a quarter size pressure sore on the spot of my tailbone.(I'm in a wheelchair & I get sores a lot from sitting.) due to my condition *Spina Bifida* It sucks. Ok, I'm done complaining. For now...