Pixel Car Tutorial

WhoooMan

Tracing Pixel Car Tutorial
Requires Adobe Photoshop! and lot of time to kill. smile.gif
Stage One: Blueprint
The first thing to do is load up a image of the car you're going to pixel out. It can be a real car, or a screenshot from any GTA games (as long it's not too blurry). Size does matter because when you shrink it down, it WILL become blurry(pixel-wise) so choose careful. Also, make another layer beyond the image and make it white to preview your trace work.

user posted image

Here I've picked Corvette ZR1, long live the king!

Stage Two: Trace
Next step is easy; make a new layer above the car image and name it "trace" and zoom in on the image by 300%-500%. Now to trace, use the pencil tool ( 1 pixel size, black ) and start at a point on an edge and work your way around it using holdshift+clicking instead of freestyle drawing which would end up messy, eh?

user posted image

user posted image

How to holdshift+clicking:
user posted image

If you've mastered connecting the dots when you were a kid, this should be a breeze for you. When you click in a spot with pencil tool, hold shift and then click on other spot- behold! you made a straight line. You have to pay attention to the edges on the image and pretend there's dots there. You can download this image and practice on the bottom part.

Optional Stage: Gradient tool
For the windows, headlights, or anything that contains glass or whatever you think would be hard to trace, use gradient tool to cover it.MAKE A COPY OF THE TRACE LAYER AND NAME IT "WINDOW"

Here's how:

user posted image

Here's a lolcar, use magic tool and select the window.

Use the gradient tool and use whatever color suits your taste.

user posted image

Ta-da!

Stage Four: Basic Coloring
Colors! Colors!MAKE A COPY OF THE TRACE LAYER AND NAME IT "COLOR". This is very simple; use the paint bucket tool and fill in everything, you can use the pencil tool if you missed some area (This will occur often!)

user posted image

Edited by WhoooMan

Stage Five: Shading
After you're done with coloring, time to do some shading! (Lighter color for shiny surface and darker color for shades and such!)

user posted image

How to Shade
Basically the idea is to use lighter shade of the color for reflections and darker shade of the color for shadows. Have fun!

user posted image

Edited by WhoooMan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried it and I failed. Anyone want to help me on it?

But great tutorial man, this is pretty fun to try when you dont fail confused.gif

Skyline_Mad

Great Tutorial icon14.gif,

I had a go myself, its not finnished yet, i have a bit of a problem doing the tyres, they are too dark, hqard to see edges, and sum parts the edges are completly dark so i have to guess where to go, i wont have another go till tomoro, heres mine:

user posted image

Can you guess wat it is?

(am i allowed to post pics here? or is it just for the tutorial? its my first time in this part of the forum, i followed the link in ur sig)

As you can see the wheels arn't completed yet and i have to do the shades and reflections etc, thanks to your tutorial i know a few extra things about Paint Shop smile.gif.

Edit: i just noticed you said Adobe Photoshop is needed, whats the difference between that and Jasc/ulead Paint Shop Pro?

Edited by Skyline_Mad

Deuce Deuce
Edit: i just noticed you said Adobe Photoshop is needed, whats the difference between that and Jasc/ulead Paint Shop Pro?

Photoshop wins all.

Very well done and easy to follow!

I would love to see you do other cars, man and maybe have a collection of them. icon14.gificon14.gif

@ Deuce: indeed.

I tried it and I failed. Anyone want to help me on it?

But great tutorial man, this is pretty fun to try when you dont fail confused.gif

Which part do you need help with?

@Skyline: That's looking good mate. icon14.gif If you made that in different program other than photoshop then I gotta give you some props for pulling that off.

I guess there's no harm in posting in here, at least it's related to the tutorial. colgate.gif

@T-Cipp: I could start a request topic where people could post the cars they want me to pixel out, I guess. turn.gif

EDIT: Here's some unfinished stuff:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by WhoooMan

Skyline_Mad

I've done a little more to the GTR, more detail but still no shaders, i'l do that soon:

user posted image

This is the original image of the Skyline if you wanna compare:

http://www.desktopmachine.com/framepic.php...11479&size=1024

I also did a cartoon version of a San Andreas (while playing SAMP with the Claude skin) screen i took a while ago, i used exactly the same method i used for the GTR, i have also not done the shaders for this one yet, probably wont:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/Sk...AMPWangCars.jpg

This image i made is slightly off-topic, but i thought i'd post it anyway:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/Sk...anner/Final.jpg

its a sig/banner i made a few weeks ago (its the one i'm currently using).

Edited by Skyline_Mad

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

when i am done tracing, i cant get the layer out. i use move tool. but i move the whole image, not just the layer. plz help sad.gif

Deuce Deuce
when i am done tracing, i cant get the layer out. i use move tool. but i move the whole image, not just the layer. plz help sad.gif

You've probably traced ontop of the source image. You need to create a new layer for the trace in order to seperate them.

You've probably traced ontop of the source image. You need to create a new layer for the trace in order to seperate them.

how can i create a new layer?! im soo noob in photoshop

Deuce Deuce

user posted image

user posted image

thank you sooo much! i love u XD