4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Virtual Pancake

Changing engine sounds on cars.

Virtual Pancake

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the engine sounds on cars in San Andreas?

Example: Taking the engine sound from the Hermes and putting it on the Phoenix. Or just simply putting new engine sounds to replace the old ones.

Something I always wanted to do. rolleyes.gif

-/TNT\-

Yeah it is possible and if you just want to switch engine sounds it is much easier too. Try this link to SAAT aka San Anreas Audio Toolkit. Be sure to scroll down and download the version with GUI. icon14.gif

thepcdude

Well, for VC users it's sooo easy, just go to \Grand Theft Auto Vice City\audio to replace and listen to sounds. lol.

Knowledge Novice

Well, for VC users it's sooo easy, just go to \Grand Theft Auto Vice City\audio to replace and listen to sounds. lol.

So is there a program needed to alter the sounds? Or do you just replace the existing sound file with your own, making sure it has the same file extension and name? monocle.gif

thepcdude

I'm talking about vice city, and what I mean is you can either edit the sound file right then and there with an audio editing program, like audacity, and if you'll be willing to scrape some cash, Adobe Audition. Or you could make a sound file and replace it. Vice city uses normal .wav sounds that can be opened in windows media player. About san andreas, I'm not sure. He said you need some program, that can mean 2 things, either an audio editing program like I said, or an exporter/importer because maybe it is some unique gta file. He wasn't too specific.

Knowledge Novice

First of all, sorry if I'm cluttering someone else's topic, but 1) this is something that's confusing me 2) I felt it may be relevant to the topic. Sorry I wasn't more specific in my last post. There was one vehicle mod in particular that led to my question. I found it a few moments ago and think that I'm better prepared to explain my confusion now.

BTW, thanks for the reply thepcdude. icon14.gif

In one mod: Yamaha Y660R Raptor

by Eat_Some_LSD, .59 Reverse, Dup & ThatBastard

You are provided with a vehicle mod, as well as new sounds to add to your game. The instructions go like this

you should know the drill by now!, for the extraction of the old files and replacement of the new you will need GTA3 Audio Editor!!.. or something similar

1    go and put the kettle on, its always good to have a cuppa when modding.

2    open up the sfx.SDT file in vice city/audio folder in the audio editor

3    replace the files in the archive with the same names as the ones that i have supplied, and then change the unknown values as shown BELOW.

4    rebuild the archive if it hasnt already done so.

5    voila! job done.... go burn some rubber!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

these are the sanchez's original wav names and unknown values (u1 + u2)

sfx00286 u1 0  u2 21950

sfx00306 u1 0  u2 23798

sfx00439 u1 0  u2 134678

sfx00440 u1 23518 u2 45468

sfx00441 u1 0  u2 -1

---------------------------------------------------------------------

THESE ARE THE UNKNOWN VALUES THAT YOU NEED TO CHANGE TO:

sfx00286 u1 0  u2 -1

sfx00306 u1 0  u2 -1

sfx00439 u1 0  u2 134678

sfx00440 u1 0  u2 -1

sfx00441 u1 0  u2 -1

This mod mentions 'unknown values'. Is this something that needs to be modified each time a sound is edited? And if so how do I determine these values after editing a sound in a program like Audacity? Also, if anyone knows of a tutorial on this subject (a title or author's name of tut) I would like to learn more. Sorry if this is a bit n00bish, but I haven't come across many of these. Any help is appreciated in advance. suicidal.gif

thepcdude

lol, this is crazy. Those unknown values and suff in the .sdt file I've never heard of. If he supplied you with sound files, find the originals and replace them with the mod's, BUT BACKUP, I always stress that. I've seen people lose it cause they're game's screwed.

*If that ever happens, be a person with a brain and backup your save files before re-installing.*

If he gave you a new .sdt file, I'm thinking first of all, that that is the tires screeching, etc. He should give you a .sdt that you don't need to change whatsoever. You know what, try out some mod installers. Maybe they will help with this. Did you try it out? If it works ok, then chill and enjoy, if not; get some mod installer. Look around the web for one that's actually worth downloading. I've seen soo many crappy mod installers. confused.gif

thepcdude

There we go, i've found the answer to you .sdt question......in this link. biggrin.gif It'll explain everything on the .sdt file. From a couple seconds looking at it, it looks as though it's like some big controlling file of all the effects and sounds. Well, I hope this helped, and chirp if it didn't. monocle.gif

Eat_Some_LSD
On 12/29/2006 at 11:27 AM, thepcdude said:

lol, this is crazy. Those unknown values and suff in the .sdt file I've never heard of. If he supplied you with sound files, find the originals and replace them with the mod's, BUT BACKUP, I always stress that. I've seen people lose it cause they're game's screwed.

*If that ever happens, be a person with a brain and backup your save files before re-installing.*

If he gave you a new .sdt file, I'm thinking first of all, that that is the tires screeching, etc. He should give you a .sdt that you don't need to change whatsoever. You know what, try out some mod installers. Maybe they will help with this. Did you try it out? If it works ok, then chill and enjoy, if not; get some mod installer. Look around the web for one that's actually worth downloading. I've seen soo many crappy mod installers. confused.gif

This is an old-ass topic, but I thought I might chime in:

The SDT is a complex index of sounds that the engine uses.  The mod is optional, but we wanted users to be able to add the new sound effects on top of their existing mods, should they also have sound mods.

The SDT file does, indeed, implement "tire screeching," but that wasn't modified.  There are 4 or 5 .WAV files compressed into the SDT file; one for each of the forward-facing gears (1 -4), plus one that's 1st gear played backwards for Reverse.  Besides actually serving as an index for the multiple .WAV files used for specific gears, the .SDT allows the game engine to modify each .WAV to fit the accelerator input; for example, there's only one 1st .WAV, but the motor won't sound the same idling as it does at 4,000 RPM; the SDT file tells the engine the specs for the transmission and how it affects the corresponding .WAV file so it can properly be manipulated in conjuction with the user's input visa-vie the accelerator.

It's just a sound file; it was never intended to be a necessary part of the mod, I just thought the original Sanchez sound (2-stroke dirtbike) was a little "janky" for a high-pro 4-stroke 4-wheeler.  I also recommend changing the handling, the colors, and installing the proper clip (Dup!).  You could easily use any one of these mods and enjoy it, but after developing the logistics, I thought it was pertinent to develop a team and try to integrate it into the game as much as possible.

Hope that helps.