3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

MyMothersMySister

...::[The Footy Desk]::...

saintdave

Well in terms of support I wouldn't worry Can, the majority of England will be cheering for Porto!

I see the last 32 of the UEFA Cup have also been drawn -

Zulte Waregem v Newcastle

Braga v Parma

Lens v Panathinaikos

Leverkusen v Blackburn

Hapoel Tel Aviv v Rangers

Livorno v Espanyol

Feyenoord v Tottenham

Fenerbahce v AZ Alkmaar

Werder Bremen v Ajax

Spartak Moscow v Celta Vigo

CSKA Moscow v Maccabi Haifa

AEK Athens v PSG

Benfica v Dinamo Bucharest

Steaua Bucharest v Sevilla

Shakhtar v Nancy

Bordeaux v Osasuna

Tchuck

Barcelona fails. Had everything to win the match, made lots of chances, but they let Internacional win. Good game though.

JoeyLeone25

Rangers vs Celtic Goals;

http://www.dailymotion.com/FootballHeaven/...ngers-vs-celtic

Didn't watch the match, didn't even know it was on till today, but a top finish in the last few minutes by the Rangers man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkIp2PBCACo - Drogba awesome 35yrd volley vs Everton - Matty Taylor watch out!

http://www.dailymotion.com/FootballHeaven/...goal-vs-man-utd - Reo-Coker's goal vs Man Utd

saintdave

Just seen Drogba's goal on TV, pure quality. I heard Taylor's yesterday against Arsenal was another special of his but have yet to see it for myself.

We (Saints) came from behind to gain another win, Bale scored another free kick to reach 5 for the season and Jones wrapped up the 3 points leaving us 4th in the table.

Cuse510

I heard Taylor's yesterday against Arsenal was another special of his but have yet to see it for myself.

It was very nice. As soon as I saw the ball floating for him I knew it was coming. This volley was obviously closer in, but unlike the 45 yarder, the keeper was ready for this shot, but Taylor hit it in almost the perfect spot. No chance for Lehmann.

Speaking of Arsenal-Pompey, it was a very entertaining match. Good fight back from Arsenal, and I was really impressed with Adebayor. As soon as he came on, the entire game changed. He's really in fine form...

saintdave

This Taylor goal was from 20 yards I hear but just as good.

I’m with you on Adebayor Cuse, he is playing well which surprised me that he didn’t start. Anyone is better than Aliadiere surely and Wenger's outburst at the ref certainly doesn’t help the team.

Seddo

Barcelona V Liverpool

cryani.gif

All the teams to draw and we get the reining f*cking champions angry.gif And the mancs get Lille mercie_blink.gif

All though Barca havent really been on top form this year in the champions league, so we could snatch it. We play at home second leg aswell icon14.gif just need a good reslut in Spain.

saintdave

I admit Man Utd got the draw they wanted, but I think they may underestimate Lille who have been consistently good in the French league for the last few years and have performed well in the CL.

Crokey

I thought this topic had died, until I checked the actual Sports Discussion forum, the prune must have cancelled Topic Subscriptions, anywhoooo

City are pants aren't they

'Good' news is that City could be the next club in line for a take-over, I say 'Good' as one rumour has it that Bill Gates of all folk could be interested... would fit though, City like Windows crashes at frequent intervals and constantly frustrates you, yet somehow you just stick with it.

Canoxa
Well in terms of support I wouldn't worry Can, the majority of England will be cheering for Porto!

Really? And why would that be? Is Mourinho or Chelsea hated over there?

adamcs

lol.gif

Canoxa

lol.gif

I'll take that as a yes. lol.gif

Any reason in particular?

SeaNorris.

lol.gif

I'll take that as a yes. lol.gif

Any reason in particular?

Chelsea - Killing the premier league for 2 years straight.

Crokey

Like a c*ck at a Femminists Parade

...Actually that describes Chelsea pretty well

saintdave

The Chelsea fans would claim it’s because we (other fans) are jealous of their success, far from it. People in England dislike Chelsea because of their constant moaning, poor sportsmanship and many other things.

Crokey
I wouldn't mind winning a few trophys like they have done, but the way they've done it is very poorly, I think a lot of it is down to Jose Murinio, because his teams are a bag of diving, cheating fuds. He was in charge of Porto a few years ago when they very unfairly beat Celtic in the UEFA Cup, Celtic were well and truly robbed because of the total lack of disrespect for the game.... just like Chelsea now.

Canoxa
I wouldn't mind winning a few trophys like they have done, but the way they've done it is very poorly, I think a lot of it is down to Jose Murinio, because his teams are a bag of diving, cheating fuds. He was in charge of Porto a few years ago when they very unfairly beat Celtic in the UEFA Cup, Celtic were well and truly robbed because of the total lack of disrespect for the game.... just like Chelsea now.

Oh my, let's not get ahead of ourselves now. I don't remember anything wrong in that game, and right now, I'm not talking as a Porto fan.

The Truth.

Oh, just picture it, football fans everywhere. Southampton have been leading since a quarter of an hour in, through Rasiak. 12 minutes later, Jones puts them 2-0 up. Whelan pulls one back, but no matter, because after half time, Bradley Wright-Phillips puts Southampton 3-1 ahead! Game's in the bag. 69 (lol) minutes, however, bad news – pesky Whelan has pulled another back! 3-2. The visitors hold out, though, until almost the end, when Mark Crossley (God and Sheffield Wednesday's Goalkeeper) heads up for the corner, as we see quite often. However, we don't often see said keeper get a free header from inside the 6 yard box, stealing two points from the away side.

lol.gif

Meanwhile, Portsmouth win comfortably against Sheffield United, maintaining their 3-1 lead until the end, and getting the three points.

saintdave

Dam Crossley he has twice been a thorn in our side now. The only keeper to have saved a Matt Le Tissier penalty and now gets Wednesday a lucky point. Oh well at least we didn’t lose.

Cuse510

Arsenal over Blackburn 6-2, in one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. After Nonda's first goal I thought, "oh sh*t, not again." Then it looked like we would run a way with it. Then it looked like we would blow it. Then we scored 3 goals in the final 10 minutes. Obviously a little shaky at the back, but the attacking game today was beautiful to watch...

saintdave

No doubt Cuse, once Arsenal got going there was only ever going to be one winner. Some of the marking and defending to start with was poor by both teams but we soon saw the Arsenal of old.

All these goals without Henry too!

biggrin.gif

Seddo

@Dave, must be gutted after southampton throwing a 2 goal lead away and getting a keeper score against you wow.gif

Woot Liverpool won again thats 7 clean sheets in a row now.

Also Watford are bottom at christmas, they are going down, bye bye.

saintdave

I was at the time Liam, but now I’m not that bothered. If we had lost then I would still be annoyed, Boxing Day however is a chance for us to put that result right when we play Palace.

I still think Watford have a chance to stay up, the only team I think are gone already is Charlton.

monkeyman237

Wow, did anyone see Scholes' shot on match of the day last night? One of the contenders for goal of the season maybe? There has been so many good goals this season.

saintdave

Isn’t football a funny game, Curbishley formerly of Charlton takes over West Ham, no sooner than that Pardew replaces Les Reed at Charlton. I'd say they may have a chance to stay up now, certainly more than a chance now that Reed has gone he was clueless!

Full article here.

monkeyman237
Isn’t football a funny game, Curbishley formerly of Charlton takes over West Ham, no sooner than that Pardew replaces Les Reed at Charlton. I'd say they may have a chance to stay up now, certainly more than a chance now that Reed has gone he was clueless!

Full article here.

Cool, that is funny, Les Reed didn't get that long at Charlton, but he didn't make much of a difference either. This must be new news, it was only updated recently. Getting signed as new manager on Christmas Eve is strange too. biggrin.gif

Seddo

Scholes goal was good, there have been quite a few screamers in the past couple of weeks, is that a sign of the ball being to light and just floating into the net sarcasm.gif

saintdave

It was quality by Scholes, but he often scores superb volleyed goals.

I read an article the other day in the paper claiming that the Nike ball being used in the Premiership is the main factor behind all these great goals we have seen so far this season. Normally I would agree that a new ball can affect how it travels when kicked or passed but this is the same ball used last season.

Personally I think more players are encouraged to take long range shots.

Seddo
Personally I think more players are encouraged to take long range shots.

Yeah good point, with the teams defending better now (except Charlton lol.gif ), its harder to walk the ball into the net, so the only option is to crack them in. I still reckon the ball must be lighter though.

saintdave

Possibly it’s certainly not as heavy as the balls they used to use back in the 1920's and post war.

I know the managers always complain but I love the large amount of games crammed in around the festive period, means more football for us to watch. For the amount they get paid too I can’t say I have any sympathy for the players either biggrin.gif