3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

MyMothersMySister

...::[The Footy Desk]::...

saintdave

A lot has been written about the Henry-Wenger fiasco and it only happened on training of Friday morning I believe. Henry has a sciatic nerve in his neck that has been causing him problems but claimed he was ok to play Spurs. Wenger disagreed and decided to rest him not only for yesterdays match but the key game against Chelsea in a few weeks.

Henry wasn’t too pleased and also questioned Wengers plans in January. Henry wants to see more signings and even suggested SWP, but Wenger has said he won’t sign anyone in January.

Andyzoot
Are post match interviews with the manager slowly becoming replaced by 'chat with the first team coach'. Kerazah.

Wonder what's happening with Henry. The Observer, anyone?

Well Ferguson has some kind of problem with the BBC, he apparently thinks the BBC has it in for him hence why it's always Carlos Queiroz's big Portugese face we're stuck with.

And of course Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp are still unhappy over BBc's Panorama programme a couple months back so we have Joey Jordan representing Portsmouth and...some random person from Bolton.

But yeah I can definitely see what you mean.

Seddo

Yay Liverpool are having take over talks (again)

From Liverpool FC website.

Liverpool Football Club today confirms that it has entered into a period of exclusive negotiations with Dubai International Capital ('DIC') about a possible investment in the club. 

No deal has yet been agreed and the detail of any transaction which may or may not include a formal offer by DIC for Liverpool Football Club is still to be confirmed.

The Club aims to keep Liverpool shareholders and supporters fully informed and will make a further statement as soon as possible.

DIC is the international investment arm of Dubai Holding, which owns and manages a diversified portfolio of companies operating in the fields of leisure, healthcare, technology, finance, real estate, research, education, tourism, energy and communications. DIC has a strong track record in both the leisure sector and in the UK. In 2005, for example, it bought Tussauds, the largest operator of visitor attractions in Europe, for $1.5bn. It also owns the Travelodge hotel group. Its parent company owns various London hotels, including the Carlton Tower.

Rick Parry, Chief Executive of Liverpool, said: "This is the latest step on the road of finding the long-term investment that the Club needs. DIC is a potential investor with the resources and philosophy that we believe could make them an ideal partner. Already they have demonstrated a full understanding of, and respect for, the club’s heritage and values. We also believe they share our passion for success. In particular, DIC believes in investing in the businesses it acquires. This is very important in terms of the proposed new stadium, which is key to plans for the regeneration of the local community. On the pitch, Liverpool remains focused on winning and, here again, this is all about doing a deal that gives us the long-term resources to do that."

Dealing Disclosure Requirements

Under the provisions of Rule 8.3 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers (the “Code”), if any person is, or becomes, “interested” (directly or indirectly) in 1% or more of any class of “relevant securities” of DIC or of Liverpool, all “dealings” in any “relevant securities” of that company (including by means of an option in respect of, or a derivative referenced to, any such “relevant securities”) must be publicly disclosed by no later than 3.30pm (London time) on the London business day following the date of the relevant transaction. This requirement will continue until the date on which the offer becomes, or is declared, unconditional as to acceptances, lapses or is otherwise withdrawn or on which the “offer period” otherwise ends. If two or more persons act together pursuant to an agreement or understanding, whether formal or informal, to acquire an “interest” in “relevant securities” of DIC or of Liverpool, they will be deemed to be a single person for the purpose of Rule 8.3.

Under the provisions of Rule 8.1 of the Code, all “dealings” in “relevant securities” of DIC or of Liverpool by Liverpool or by DIC or by any of their respective “associates”, must be disclosed by no later than 12.00 noon (London time) on the London business day following the date of the relevant transaction.

A disclosure table, giving details of the companies in whose “relevant securities” “dealings” should be disclosed, and the number of such securities in issue, can be found on the Takeover Panel’s website at www.thetakeoverpanel.org.uk.

“Interests in securities” arise, in summary, when a person has long economic exposure, whether conditional or absolute, to changes in the price of securities. In particular, a person will be treated as having an “interest” by virtue of the ownership or control of securities, or by virtue of any option in respect of, or derivative referenced to, securities. Terms in quotation marks are defined in the Code, which can also be found on the Panel’s website. If you are in any doubt as to whether or not you are required to disclose a “dealing” under Rule 8, you should consult the Panel.

Rafael Benitez today admitted he was excited about Liverpool's future after the club confirmed they were in discussions with Dubai International Capital about a possible investment in the club. 

Benitez is concentrating all his efforts on preparing his team for Wednesday night's Champions League clash at the Ataturk Stadium, but he admits today's developments on the search for investment have been a pleasing distraction.

Benitez said: "I have talked to the chairman (David Moores) and chief

executive (Rick Parry) about this and I was pleased with what I heard.

"At the moment I only really want to concentrate on the match here, but of course it is always good for a club to have more money and more possibilities.

"For now we are trying to be focused about the game, we will have plenty of time to talk about such things in the future."

Liverpool's immediate future centres on tomorrow night's game in Istanbul - at the scene of their heroic Champions League final success in May 2005.

With qualification for the last sixteen of this year's competition already secured there's less pressure on the Reds this time around, but Benitez is hoping the young players he has included in his squad will take inspiration from the last time Liverpool visited this city.

He said: "I was delighted with the motivation of my team here 18 months ago and I have always believed that we can go on and achieve more trophies together.

"We can do it, we can win more things together. We have the quality and the right mentality for it. The hunger is still there.

"For me the final was the best day of my football life, and I want the fact that the youngsters are playing here to be an inspiration.

"If they can just talk to the senior lads, see what they achieved, I believe that is an example that could see the beginning of something new from the young players who will follow." 

Woo, this is good news biggrin.gif Maybe we will be able to compete with chelski and the mancs even more now.

saintdave

It’s good for your club personally, but not for football.

All these clubs being taken over by businessmen from other countries is really going too far and all it will cause in the long run is force "regular" clubs to compete in separate leagues from teams such as Chelsea. Fact is with the seemingly endless amount of money only 2 maybe 3 teams can win the league (Premiership anyway) all the rest make up the numbers but with more teams being taken over it will only make footballers more greedier.

JoeyLeone25

Okan Buruk's Sweet Volley Galatasaray vs Liverpool

Liverpool half-clear a corner but it lands invitingly for Okan Buruk, who thumps it straight past keeper Jerzy Dudek from outside the box.

Chelsea vs Levski Sofia

Goals from Chelsea vs Levski Sofia which finished 2-0 to Chelsea with goals from Andrey Shevchenko and Shaun Wright Phillips.

Galatasaray vs Liverpool

Goals from Galatasaray vs Liverpool which saw Galatasaray come away 3-2 winners. Robbie Fowler scored first for Liverpool, before Necati Ates got one back for Galatasaray, then Okan Buruk's sweet volley put the Turkish side 2-1 up. Sasa Ilic then stretches the hosts' lead, before Robbie Fowler pulls one back in the last night and get's his second of the night.

Ronaldinho Free-Kick vs Werder Bremen

Ronaldinho Free-Kick Barcelona vs Werder Bremen.

Barcelona vs Werder Bremen

Goals from Barcelona vs Werder Bremen which finished 2-0 to Barcelona.

Roma vs Valencia

Goal from Roma vs Valencia which finished 1-0 to Roma.

PSV vs Bordeaux

Goals from PSV vs Bordeaux, which finished 3-1 to Bordeaux including a Dalmat stunner.

Olympiakos vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Goals from Olympiakos vs Shakhtar Donetsk which finished 1-1.

Bayern Munich vs Inter Milan

Goals from Bayern Munich vs Inter Milan which finished 1-1.

Sporting vs Spartak Moscow

Goals from Sporting vs Spartak Moscow which finished 3-1 to Spartak Moscow.

Highlight to follow tomorrow.

Edited by JoeyLeone25

saintdave

See the 20-man brawl near the end of the Spurs v Boro match? Two players sent off in the end (Boateng & Zokora) but both clubs are to be fined for the behaviour of each set of players.

Boogie will be able to elaborate on this due to being our number 1 Italian football fan/expert but I see they experimented with goal-line cameras in recent Serie A matches. There were no dodgy decisions for them to come into play but its good to have them there I say.

Boogie

Boogie will be able to elaborate on this due to being our number 1 Italian football fan/expert but I see they experimented with goal-line cameras in recent Serie A matches. There were no dodgy decisions for them to come into play but its good to have them there I say.

I think it's a good thing as long as it stays on goal-lines only. Although last rounds refereeing was so bad, that many goals would have been accepted even if the cameras would have shown otherwise.

JoeyLeone25

Marcos Nelson Goal Benfica vs Man Utd

Marcos Nelson fabulous strike vs Man Utd

Nemanja Vidic Goal Man Utd vs Benfica

Cristiano Ronaldo wins a free-kick on the left and Ryan Giggs delivers it for Nemanja Vidic to head in.

Ryan Giggs Goal Man Utd vs Benfica

Cristiano Ronaldo bides his time before providing a perfect cross for Ryan Giggs to coolly head home.

Louis Saha Goal Man Utd vs Benfica

Louis Saha times his run perfectly to head in a corner and the celebrations can start at Old Trafford.

Barcelona vs Werder Bremen Highlights

Highlights from Barcelona vs Werder Bremen which finished 2-0 to Barcelona.

Roma vs Valencia Highlights

Highlights from Roma vs Valencia which finished 1-0 to Roma.

Marcos Nelson Goal = UN-STOP-ABLE!

Cuse510

Not very pretty from Arsenal today, but at least they got the job done and advanced to the knock-out stage. I'm not expecting them to get all the way back to the finals again, but it's nice to have something to play for, since they've royally f*cked their chances of winning the EPL sad.gif

Also, I managed to catch the highlights of the Celtic-Copenhagen game. Very poor from Celtic. I don't know why they can't seem to play away from home, but obviously they will need to improve tremendously in the next round...

saintdave

Celtics CL form is strange at times and with that disappointing result for them last night finishing second means they will probably face a big/strong team in the next round.

Seddo

Wow all five Brittish teams are into the last 16, thats the first time thats ever happened (i think)

Top of the group for us and bring on the next tie cool.gif

JoeyLeone25

FC Copenhagen vs Celtic

Goals from FC Copenhagen vs Celtic, which finished 3-1 to Copenhagen.

Hamburg vs CSKA Moscow

Goals from Hamburg vs CSKA Moscow which finished 3-2 to Hamburg.

Real Madrid vs Dynamo Kiev

Goals from Real Madrid vs Dynamo Kiev which finished 2-2.

Steaua Bucuresti vs Lyon

Goals from Steaua Bucuresti vs Lyon which finished 1-1.

saintdave

Just to clarify the following teams have qualified for the next round of the Champions League -

Chelsea

Barcelona

Bayern Munich

Inter Milan

Liverpool

PSV

Valencia

Roma

Lyon

Real Madrid

Man Utd

Celtic

Arsenal

Porto

AC Milan

Lille

Some big names still left in that, like last season I will go with Barcelona to win. I just think they have an answer for most teams style of play and can out play them with such success and in some cases ease.

Lyon would also be one to keep an eye out for, they may not be part of the strongest domestic league but they continue to improve and their team often reaches the latter stages of European competition.

monkeyman237

Quite a suprise for Lille to get through, I don't know who else was in their group though.

I think Lyon stand a good chance of winning, they have been very, very good so far. smile.gif

saintdave

As much as it pains me to say, after watching MOTD last night and more specifically highlights of Pompeys game. I must say what a quality goal Taylor scored for them, from 40 yards and already a contender for goal of the season.

Guglielminpietro
As much as it pains me to say, after watching MOTD last night and more specifically highlights of Pompeys game. I must say what a quality goal Taylor scored for them, from 40 yards and already a contender for goal of the season.

Contender? That's it. Goal of the season right there. Astonishing. And I'm so pleased somebody's now scored a better goal than Robin Van Pussie's, couldn't have her winning it.

smile.gif

monkeyman237

Contender? That's it. Goal of the season right there. Astonishing. And I'm so pleased somebody's now scored a better goal than Robin Van Pussie's, couldn't have her winning it.

smile.gif

That was amazing. He scored one like that against Sunderland last year, also shown on match of the day. He had a great technique aswell, the keeper didn't move. biggrin.gif

1-1 between Arsenal and Chelsea. I must tape that and watch it. (I'll be watching LOST instead) Essien and Flamini the scorers.

Boogie

Empoli 0-3 Inter. Empoli had the strongest defence in Serie A, until today. Also Lazio just beat Romamerda in Derby della Capitale. 3-0 also.

So we are on top of the table with seven points. icon14.gif

Seddo

Yes Taylors goal has to be 100% goal of the season already, that will take some beating.

I see Ronaldo was diving again dozingoff.gif did he get sent of? NO, but Coradi did, speaking of the Manchester derby isnt it funny that the two main players in the derby, were scousers lol.gif Rooney and Barton. Scouse power in a manc derby. icon14.gif

JoeyLeone25
Yes Taylors goal has to be 100% goal of the season already, that will take some beating.

I see Ronaldo was diving again dozingoff.gif did he get sent of? NO, but Coradi did, speaking of the Manchester derby isnt it funny that the two main players in the derby, were scousers lol.gif Rooney and Barton. Scouse power in a manc derby. icon14.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1lv8Ng3Bkc

Already been topped pal. wink.gif

Taylors was pretty lucky as the keeper was off his line, but this was just PURE SKILL, outside of the boot, 30yrds, Lehmann no chance, ESSIEN!

Cuse510

I still have to vote for van Persie's goal (and I'm trying not to let my bias get in the way wink.gif ). Essien's goal was very nice, but we've seen many shots similar to it. Matty Taylor's was brilliant as well, but again Tim Howard gave him some help. Also, the degree of difficulty on van Persie's volley was just higher. The ball just sort of floated for Taylor, but van Perise had to strike a ball with pace while jumping fairly high just to reach the ball. Nothing away from Essien and Taylor, but they just don't top the sheer difficulty of van Perise's.

saintdave

Taylor's was class but I think Howard should have saved it, you could tell he thought it was going over. He had time to get back on his line but chose not to.

Can’t say I have seen RVP's goal, link anyone?

Cuse510

Can't believe you haven't seen it yet. Well, here it is. Prepare to be wowed wink.gif

saintdave

Ah I remember it now, he does score a few crackers so I was unsure which it was.

Pardew got the boot by West Ham I see, he has done a lot for them but they have been so poor this season and I guess the board wanted to make the change before they risk the threat of relegation. Curbishley is favourite to get the post.

Cuse510
Pardew got the boot by West Ham I see, he has done a lot for them but they have been so poor this season and I guess the board wanted to make the change before they risk the threat of relegation. Curbishley is favourite to get the post.

I don't think Pards deserved it, at least not yet. The man brought the Hammers into the EPL and then had a very good year last year, beating almost all expectations. Yes, this year is not going very well at all, but after what he's done in the past, at least give him a chance to right the ship...

saintdave

Seems to be the trend these days, with chairmen and board members having very little patience when the going gets tough.

Curbishley has been appointed so at least they have a great replacement and with money to spend in January I think they will be safe from relegation.

Purple9

Up the Arsenal! tounge.gif

Any money we draw Barcelona or Inter Milan tommorow.

sad.gif

saintdave

Purple9 not seen you around here for ages mate, stop by more often wink.gif

Yeah CL draw tomorrow, can any of the English teams face one another yet or would that be the round after?

Edit - Didn't see the draw has been done!

Porto v Chelsea

Celtic v AC Milan

PSV Eindhoven v Arsenal

Lille v Man Utd

Roma v Lyon

Barcelona v Liverpool

Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

Inter Milan v Valencia

Edited by saintdave

SeaNorris.
I think Barca V Liverpool is going to be a very good game to watch, at both stadiums.

Canoxa
Porto v Chelsea

Oh crap. Oh well, I stand by my team and I'm ready for any result, but Chelsea is Chelsea! Pity Porto's squad is nothing like in the Mourinho days.