3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Newbie41

Tony Hawks Project 8

Newbie41

Overall.. i got this game thinking it was going to be head hancho with all the cool things from THAW... but i was lead on to be wrong..

Keep in mind that i bought it for the PS2.. If you dont wish to read on..

Then dont..

The biggest thing that dissapointed me was the old levels again..

We are back to loading times.. ect, without joined levels. Im not sure if its the same way in the PS3.. but i hope to go not

The Create a skater mode sucks. There is only three types you can choose from. Punk, with tatoos all over his body, Urban (Black), and Kids. There isnt barley anything good to choose from..

The controls are iffy, they arnet as free flowing as i thought they would be. Yes, there is nail a trick on the game, which makes it better.

Overall, buying the game is in your opinion

I was just dissapointed to see this and Hopefully when i get a PS3 ill buy it for that system and hope to see a change..

RMT

Demo to me seemed really good on the 360. And I wouldn't be surprised if the loading was exclusive to past gen (it'd be pretty disgusting if the PS3 and 360 have loading zones).

On the PS2: In THAW they used tunnels as a means to stream/load the next part of the level, I guess now the whole things is rather open it gives them some difficulty. Not that I'm trying to justify the loading zones.

Sly_Madman

sounds like they slapped together a current gen one in order to work on the next gen versions...

Newbie41
sounds like they slapped together a current gen one in order to work on the next gen versions...

Yeah.... Thats pretty much all they did

Im sure the X-Box and PSP versions are'nt that great either

darthYENIK

What I heard is that they just used the same basic engine as the old generation games, while they completely remade the engine for the next gen consoles.

Natedogg.

Well the game is still the same for next-gen versions. Create a skater isn't as good and they removed all the create a park mode and create a tag as well.

ign review

Jonny_Tightlips

The Next gen versions have no real loading times. And no, not like THAW.

...this game makes good on the "seamless world, no loading" concept that American Wasteland touted. Where American Wasteland just hid the loading by forcing you to skate between areas in tight, non-descript tunnels, Project 8's world is truly seamless. The only time you'll see loading screens while playing is if you retry a goal that's halfway across the city, forcing the game to pause for a bit while it warps you there.
But, the last gen versions are expected to be sh*tty. Even though on the nextgen there are definitely problems concerning frame-rate, the PS3 version is worse compared to the 360 version. (From what GS has told me). I'm still down to get the 360 version, though. I absolutely love the demo.

darthYENIK

I'm probably going to get it for some console or another. I've never been disappointed by a Tony Hawk game, execpt THAW's classic mode was sh*t.

EDIT: Jason Lee is in the game? f*ck yeah!

Edited by darthYENIK

Made

I might pick this game up for the 360, along with Gears of War, tomorrow when I go buy a 360. I've also never been disappointed with a Tony Hawk game, even though the story in THUG2 sucked ass, I still liked it. Damn I'm going to be so broke tomorrow tounge.gif

Newbie41
I might pick this game up for the 360, along with Gears of War, tomorrow when I go buy a 360. I've also never been disappointed with a Tony Hawk game, even though the story in THUG2 sucked ass, I still liked it. Damn I'm going to be so broke tomorrow tounge.gif

Yeah... if your going to buy it, wait for it to come out on nex gen consoles

I still dont know if i should buy a PS3 or X-Box 360?

I would have been satisfied if there would have been a free flowing world

Bauer

I love how, with so much progress in the series, they actually manage to take so many things out of the game.

But i haven't played it yet, so I can't really say much. I'll rent it this weekend if I have nothing else to do.

Seddo

I played the demo on the 360 and i thought it was amazing. I thought it was a really good demo and that the game would be alot better, maybe cos its a PS2 version but to me the demo was very good.

meta187

I'm a big fan of this series, sucks to hear they haven't stepped it upped a notch this go'round. Project 8 was supposed to be the "next evolution" of THPS but from you're description sounds pretty dissapointing. confused.gif

I'll give it a rent and get back to ya.

Daz

Well this game is only going to be any good on the next gen consoles.

Even the 360 version didnt get that good of a score.

Putting aside all the horrible bugs and annoyances I encountered in the demo, the game also lacks create a park, create a trick, and board customization, not to mention as said, the create a skater is just choosing a type. As well as all the levels being completely shabby and redone versions of old themed levels.

Definately not as well as I hoped.

And it seems to me all those mo-cap tricks were wasted as I am seeing some really messed up grinds and such.

GTA3Freak-2001

If your playing the PS2 version then of course its going to be disappointing it is a next gen game after all guys. Anyone remember Tony Hawks 3? It came out when the PS2 was fairly new, it had its own Playstation version and it was crap compared to the PS2 version. More loading being the main thing.

I played the 360 Demo of Project 8 and really loved it, it had the old THPS charm to it as well as some cool new features such as umm I forgot the name of it but the feature where you can essentially use the sticks to make up your own tricks on the fly. Don't go by the lowest denominator to judge the whole game across its different platforms.

*MURDOC*

Having Jason Lee make me want this game, since hes one of my favorite skaters.

I used to make him in create-a-skater (yeah i know im a big dork)

Maybe for PS3 i will see.

Im pretty excited for that game that is simply called "Skate"

It looks promising, and realistic, which i think is awesome for a skateboarding game.

No more 1,000 trick combos.

SIP YEK NOD

damnit, they force you to watch that god damn demo video before you can play, just like NHL 07 forced you to watch the new controls demo.

aaaaaaaaannyways, i picked up this, geow, and the outfit.

anybody else notice it takes a long-ass time to scroll through the skaters unless you go uber fast?

as far as the game goes, its pretty fun, looks amazing, and all of the skating features are all still there. sliding through the fountain face first looks both amazing and hilairious. when skating side-ways on inclines, the skater actually keeps his body upright, and adjusts his body, instead of just sticking up perpendicular to the incline, its kinda cool.

overall, i would say the game is fun, i don't think the scores it got were fair because of missing create-a-skater features. I would say its a good start for next gen tony hawk games (thaw doesn't count, it was nearly a direct port of the xbox version)

Andyzoot

Oh, when someone mentioned Jason Lee I thought they meant the actor from My Name is Earl and Mallrats sad.gif

*MURDOC*

Yeah, it is.

He used to be a pro skater for Blind.

Now he owns Stereo.

Im pretty sure he owns it at least.

The-King

I heard Jamie Thomas was in the game, but no Zero, do they at least have Fallen shoes?

TenaciousD.

I have no idea whether i should get it, I don't have a 360 yet and probably wont get one for at least another year. From what you've said its sucks but there's a part of me that's shouting "God damn you Graham! Get it for Xmas, play it the whole day like you do every year!"

The IGN review left me undecided, it was a 360 review and i'd get it on PS2, obviously the graphics will not be anywhere near as good as 360 but the Nail A Trick looks great fun, they took out all the Create modes which sucks, I spent more time making the skater and the spray tag in THUG2 and THAW then playing the game.

Newbie, In your opinion is it more fun/better then THAW? If it is i'll get it because I quite liked THAW.

meta187
If your playing the PS2 version then of course its going to be disappointing it is a next gen game after all guys. Anyone remember Tony Hawks 3? It came out when the PS2 was fairly new, it had its own Playstation version and it was crap compared to the PS2 version. More loading being the main thing.

I played the 360 Demo of Project 8 and really loved it, it had the old THPS charm to it as well as some cool new features such as umm I forgot the name of it but the feature where you can essentially use the sticks to make up your own tricks on the fly. Don't go by the lowest denominator to judge the whole game across its different platforms.

Well, I'd definately say it isn't exactly a step forward for the series after haveing played it for the last few days, they've cut a lot of the newer features but if I wanted to run this in the opposite direction I'd say it seems a lot more "pure" and no nonsense than recent additions like THUG 2 and Wasteland. Everything combo-wise, connects well like legos and hitting square for a manual as opposed to up/down on the analog feels like a f*cking luxury to old THPS wardogs like me who've seen the best combos EVA ruined by controllers simply not going into the manual like you TELL-THEM-TO! There's a really cool bit with Mullen in the Downtown area where he shows you how to custom kickflip the board with your opposing analog sticks which slows down, zooms in and gets all heavenly for that "Ahhhhhh" focus factor.

I pretty much play these habitually, so I suppose any of my risidual dissapointments are secondary to the fact that when a new one is made I will play it into the dirt, regardless.

Tony's character model is looking positively ancient in the high-rendered, cut scenes though, that's good for a laugh.

Blackadder.

So the only way to perform a flip trick now is by using the nail the trick thing?

Andyzoot

no, you can press Square and Left or X and Left, whichever console you have. Nail a trick just allows you to add some more fanciness to the Kickflip and see it in slow motion.

SIP YEK NOD

after playing it for a couple days, i just have some updates for those on the fence about getting it. in the 360 version:

-the create-a-skater isn't as in depth, but it isn't entirely crippled as the reveiws have you belive

-there is create-a-park mode, but because the game is free flowing, and its just one big level, there are hammers throughout the world, when you activate the hammer, you can design a skate park within the desginated area, so far i have found about 4, so you can design your own skate parks that are seamlessly integrated into the world

-some aspects are very challenging, which makes the game worth playing over and over and over

-there is a great variety in the skateing related goals, and not a whole lot of dumbass thug2 style goals that are all about running

i just don't understand how this game didn't score high 80s to low 90s from IGN and Gamespot. i don't understand what more the reveiwers could have wanted out of it

meta187

-there is a great variety in the skateing related goals, and not a whole lot of dumbass thug2 style goals that are all about running

The expression, "trimming the fat" comes to mind after another week into this game. This game says to me, "do you like Tony Hawk Pro Skater? Fine we've made a really good THPS Game. Do you like jackass antics from Bam Maguera and half-baked gimmicks that end up getting our company sued? Then maybe this game isn't for you."

I just have to say the newly revamped Highschool is a thing of beauty, skateing bliss, get up to the rooftops to see what I'm blabbing on about. This area is probably in my top 5 THPS stages of all time.

I'd also say I'd never really took advantage of the focus ability till this installment either which is a really cool add-on for pulling off more intricate gaps.

darthYENIK

I hate the focus feature on any of the three games it's been on. It makes it too easy to get super high scores. Especially when you add the natas spin to the focus. Personally I like to take it easy in the game, just cruise and carve in pools, or the drainage ditch out side of the school.

I do miss the bertslide as it was in THAW, although the sharp turn feature is cool. Overall, as a skateboarder I give it a 9. (xbox version)

[GTA Man]cycon77foamy[GTA Man]
The controls are iffy, they arnet as free flowing as i thought they would be. Yes, there is nail a trick on the game, which makes it better.

IIRC isn't Nail The Trick mode only on XBox 360 And PS3.

Andyzoot

I hate to bring an old topic back but I had one quick question for the 360 version.

Can you do face mapping on it with the Xbox Live Vision camera?

Over and out.