Demarest's SA radar

Demarest

To match the rest of Thirst For Blood's UI, I've knocked the radar's opacity down a few pegs. The result is pretty sexy if I do say so myself. Nothing to it really. Took patience more than anything as it was tedious updating 144 files in two different programs. Anyways, download page is here. Here's a preview pic:

user posted image

Here's the readme:

Instructions - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. First things first: BACK UP WHATEVER FILES YOU ARE GOING TO BE MESSING WITH! In this case, if you have the space to backup the entire models/gta3.img, then by all means. If not, pay close attention to the first step...

Use IMG Tool 2.0 to open up the gta3.img file in your /models/ directory of your SA folder. Press F2 to search and type in radar00. If you have never modded your radar before, you'll find that radar00 and the next 143 files (named radar00 - radar 143 accordingly). Hold shift and then press the down arrow until you've highlighted all 144 files. Press CTRL+E to extract these files to a SAFE BACKUP LOCATION. For me, a folder called original radar does the trick, but that's a matter of your personal taste.

Now that the 144 radar files are backed up safely, DELETE them from the IMG. If you choose to leave them in and use the replace function, your IMG will become unnecessarily bloated. Your files are backed up; deleting them will not hurt anything at this point. Extract the 144 radar files in this ZIP wherever you'd like. Unzipped, they will take up 4.5 MB's of space. But once you've added them in, you can delete them off your hard drive. Now in IMG Tool 2.0, press CTRL+A to add. Older versions of IMG Tool supported the adding of many files at once. I had to add mine one at a time and I've read of others having to as well. So try adding all 144 by highlighting them all in the Add window. Make sure they were all added. If not, you will have to add them one at a time. If anybody knows how to work around this limitation, please let me know so I can update the instructions and make everybody's use of this "mod" that much more user friendly.

Acknowledgements - First, thanks to Rockstar Games for this awesome (literally) game. Thanks to GTAForums' Delfi/JernejL for not only developing TXD Workshop, but also walking me through the upgrade process from manual attribute assignment to his upgraded automated system (which is really nice; just took some getting used to). Thanks also to Spooky for his development of IMG Tool. I think that covers everybody involved in this particular release. If I've overlooked you, poke me!

Support - Anything not covered here that you need support for probably has nothing to do with this "mod". However, I'm always available on GTAForums.com.

If I've overlooked you, poke me!

Hey man, I read all your posts! I want credit! rolleyes.gif

Damn, 144 files!? Props, I don't have that kind of patience, at all

Nice job. That icon can be turned back on now that it isn't a f*cking spotlight. icon14.gif

BTW, I just copy my image file once in a while, takes a little more space on the hdd, but quick'n'easy, and make's it so easy to fix a stuffing, rather than reinstalling all the awesome mods coming out of this forum.

Not so minor informational update. Apparently, the map also uses the radar textures (when zoomed in). Pressing Z to zoom out still has the vibrant, full color version. While this isn't a deterent to me as you can still read the map and the radar is more important to me, I thought I'd share the unavoidable side effect before somebody who it WOULD matter to bothers with replacing 144 files.

user posted image

This is in a stripped SCM, so don't let the lack of icons fool you. That section is still unveiled and you will still be able to see any icons in that area.

That looks pretty nice. And you don't have to use IMG Tool2, since it has the bug that you can't add more than 1 file at a time, you can use another IMG editor like Spark or make an install script for everyone (use batch add) with SAMI (which also uses the command line version of Spark). Note that in Spark you need to press Save to apply changes (unsaved changes are in bold) and you can't rebuild (I don't think you NEED to), so use IMG Tool for that if it's needed. Not dissing IMG Tool/Spooky but that IS one annoying bug.

Also, I'm not sure, but couldn't you just edit the radardisc txd to achieve a similar effect..?

EDIT: SAMI site down notify.gif , but you can get it here

Edited by Bigun

Damn, 144 files!? Props, I don't have that kind of patience, at all

@Desmarest:

It could have been done in 10 seconds, by modifying only one alpha file located in hud.txd

A lot of useless work for such a minor change.

@Desmarest:

It could have been done in 10 seconds, by modifying only one alpha file located in hud.txd

A lot of useless work for such a minor change.

People like to talk. But don't like to back things up. There's not a single file in hud.txd that had to do with the radar TEXTURE opacitites. Try again.

Wow...

First off nice work Dem, it's a cool idea.

Now about this little argument. I don't think you need to defend yourself Dem, anyone who knows what the hell opacity and transparent means, understands that this "gangster" is just an illiterate moron. I didn't read through yours and his last post, because they were so damn long, but I hope it's all over now. Because honestly you're just wasting your breath with this completely wrong moron. I can't believe he didn't know what transparent was, and then after you finally (some how) got him to understand it, he still argues! Wtf?!?

I'd ask a mod to clean up this topic and get rid of this BS as it's just cluttering up your nice release topic.... what a f*cking moron.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Thank you, sir. I know you are right. But I didn't want somebody who might not know better come in, read that, and opt to not use the mod because they think I was being wasteful is all. Staff has intervened and I was given the choice of a cleanup or not. I left it to their better judgement. Have not heard back, so I can't say for sure whether or not its been decided or if the decision was that the topic benefits from the explanation of opacity (though unnecessarily long winded thanks to Mr. Polite's personal attacks). Either way, it's all good. Thanks again.

right, most of the offtopic crap is gone now; I left the original idea by OGM, with dem's rebuttal just incase anyone else thinks to post it, they'll know its already been...discussed. i was about to leave the topic be, but reading all the "u"s and assorted bad grammar, and well, it had to go tounge.gif

@ Dem/ontopic: I like the idea of this. its a subtle, but effective change, that i had never really considered. i may adopt it myself, but with a different opacity setting. Btw, explanation notwithstanding, your picture of the gal/deadcop/tank showed off the effect of the mod much better than your pic in the first post imo.

• 3 months later...

Erhmm.. Why would you darken up your radar, it doesn't match with the large light-colours-scale of the game. And at night-time, it's going to be invisible. sarcasm.gif

Still, i give you credits for editing 144 files. wink.gif

To match the rest of Thirst For Blood's UI, I've knocked the radar's opacity down a few pegs

Hmm maybe that's why. And can you tell me why you bumped a two month old topic just to say that?

user posted image

It would be good if it was like the VCS Radar, Normal on land but for water it's opacity is clearer, looks good, especially when crossing bridges, etc. But I imagine this would take WAY too long to do for SA.

It would be good if it was like the VCS Radar, Normal on land but for water it's opacity is clearer, looks good, especially when crossing bridges, etc. But I imagine this would take WAY too long to do for SA.

It would be something in the main.scm triggering that I think Actually no, it would be the same radar, just only opacitic on the water. Wouldn't be to hard I wouldn't think, just time consuming.

user posted image