3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

PLPynton

[REL] Weapon temperature

PLPynton

with this code in your script each gun can overheat. it means you can not use it until temperature of the gun drops down. a bar will represent temperature for your current weapon, when it goes above 90% weapon will jamm and you have to switch to another in order to continue shooting or wait until it drops down below critical temperature.

why? to make it harder, if you consider yourself as a good player you will like it otherwise do not bother to use it.

second thing available in this mod is a more real reaction from peoples around player:

- cop seeing you holding a gun will attempt to arrest you even due the fact you do not have wanted level. most of cops and very few will ignore you when showing your arsenal.

- some of pedestrians are also capable of busting you. the chance is small but some of them can try! when they attempt to do so, some of them will chase you till they die or lose trial while most of them will disengage when you point your gun at them.

- some of the police/army force will get some brain and give up when targeting them, but well most not especially when getting higher with your wanted level.

basically seconds part target is to force player to watch out for his guns while exploring.

the code (old):

:GUNTEMP_103A4: name_thread 'GUNTEMP' :GUNTEMP_20001: wait  50 ms00D6: if  0 0256:   is_player_playing $PLAYER004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_2 0470: get_char $SCPLAYER current_weapon_to @000D6: if  1 0019:   @0 >  21;; integer values001B:    39 > @0;; integer values004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_41 0085: @30 = @0;; integer values and handles000E: @30 -=  22;; integer values041A: get_char $SCPLAYER weapon @0 ammo_to @111(@30,17i)04F7: status_text $TEMP  1 line  4 GXT_reference 'DUMMY'; (text not found)0062: @333(@30,17i) -= @111(@30,17i);; integer values 0012: @333(@30,17i) *=  4;; integer values 005A: @444(@30,17i) += @333(@30,17i);; integer values 00D6: if  0 0019:   @444(@30,17i) >  1000;; integer values004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_22 0006: @444(@30,17i) =  1000;; integer values:GUNTEMP_2200D6: if  0 001B:    100 > @444(@30,17i);; integer values004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_26 0006: @444(@30,17i) =  100;; integer values:GUNTEMP_26041A: get_char $SCPLAYER weapon @0 ammo_to @333(@30,17i)00D6: if  0 801B:   NOT    900 > @444(@30,17i);; integer values004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_39 0881: set_player $PLAYER able_to_shoot_weapons  000D6: if  0 00E1:   is_button_pressed_pad  0 button  17004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_42 03CF: load_WAV  32402 handle_as  3:GUNTEMP_320001: wait  0 ms00D6: if  0 03D0:   has_WAV  3 loaded004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_32 03D1: play_WAV  3040D: mark_WAV_as_no_longer_needed  30002: jump ££GUNTEMP_42 :GUNTEMP_390881: set_player $PLAYER able_to_shoot_weapons  10002: jump ££GUNTEMP_42 :GUNTEMP_410151: remove_status_text $TEMP :GUNTEMP_420085: @29 = @444(@30,17i);; integer values and handles008A: $TEMP = @29;; integer values and handles0014: $TEMP /=  10;; integer values0006: @30 =  0;; integer values:GUNTEMP_460001: wait  0 ms000A: @444(@30,17i) += -2;; integer values000A: @30 +=  1;; integer values00D6: if  0 0039:   @30 ==  17;; integer values004D: jump_if_false ££GUNTEMP_46 0002: jump ££GUNTEMP_2 004E: end_thread

here the download

Edited by PLPynton

Tennesse

this is dope

maybe a downloadable main and script archive would be easier for us who don't use Barton's MB

would be cool

peace

RainingAcid

Who says dope anymore? mad.gif

Nice script, I suppose.

ms.cooldude

Maybe some pictures shown would be good.

PLPynton

you have to be kidding me. you want me to take snapshot of player with jammed weapon that emits sound instead of shooting? come on!

Wesser

Nice work!!!

PLPynton, does the time of heating/cooling last some too much?!

Very Real the code!

PLPynton
Nice work!!!

PLPynton, does the time of heating/cooling last some too much?!

Very Real the code!

it takes few clips to overheat weapon, machine guns do that faster, i.e. pistol will be hard to overheat. it takes naturally longer time to cool down than time needed to overheat weapon.

Wesser

PLPynton, can give me the code in formed MB to reduce the time of heating/cooling (4sec)??

If you don't answer me, thanks the same. colgate.gif

Demarest

I like this concept. I really do. So it pains me to have to belabor the obvious...

We continue to talk to you about your format. You want to use mark wav as no longer needed instead of the unload wav we've used the last 3 years, that's your choice. But you can NOT release code that has things like $PLAYER and $SCPLAYER and not share your variables.ini, tell people to disable INI support, etc.

On the other hand, it was previously believed that upper locals were only useable by missions. This script reveals otherwise. I've done a LITTLE bit of testing and it would appear that you are correct! Thank you very much for sharing that colgate.gif

[uPDATE]

Apparently my testing wasn't enough. Upper locals in MAIN only leads to MAJOR crash potential; rendering this mod almost unuseable except in a stripped SCM (maybe).

@RainingAcid: If your continued off-topic posts getting deleted isn't indication enough to curb it, what will it take?

Edited by Demarest

Wesser

PLPynton, because when I insert this code in the file original SCM the game at the end of the loading him crash?

Can you give me your file SCM.INI? --> I think that the problem is that.

Y_Less

PLP has becided to use his own format of the ini which is a terrible idea for exactly this reason. Download the SCM and redecompile it to get it in the format everyone but him uses.

Groo

Well, I use it too. What's up with MB variables? Can't you give this man credit for making path for new opcodes? What I mean is, for example, in MB variables 04AD is just a plain $PLAYER_ACTOR, in his variables it's is_char $3 touching_water. It's much easier to me to read that.

And he has inserted hardcoded stuff too, I've seen that in the SCJ mod.

Y_Less

I never said anything about him finding what opcodes do, he's not making new ones, just finding out what they do, and you can get updated versions of the MB ini too, it's just him changing the format which is a problem as people who use the MB you can download and people who use the things which have been used for years, as proved in this topic, can't use his code. And what hardcoded stuff has he made?

Demarest
in his variables it's is_char $3 touching_water. It's much easier to me to read that.

Anybody can turn off INI support and decompile to get $3 instead of $PLAYER_ACTOR. What they can NOT do is take the code here, compile it, and it work without making a change or two. Yet there are no instructions on how to do that, so unless you already know what you're doing, you're screwed. Not the best way to promote materials. Especially in a mod that adds challenge.

Furthermore, historically, "char" has referred to player. To change the nomenclature from the ACCURATE "actor" to "char" at the same time we are in the wake of a game that scrapped the majority of the "char" commands in favor of their more flexible and non-redundant actor opcodes is irresponsible.

@Pynton: I'm really sorry to be having this discussion in your release thread. But you DID necessitate it by releasing code that cannot work as is. You have to be more mindful of the consequences of your actions. Please.

Groo

What's wrong with copying a new MB folder, placing his ini files, decompiling existing main files and placing these codes? That's what I do with his mods and I'm fine. Hell, I'm more than fine, the whole SCJ mod is an achievement that I've never seen around here, before, when someone asked how could you run faster than a car he got a 'it's hardcoded, no way'..Well, he has done that and a lot more..

By the way, I don't use it, but isn't Sanny Builder written in another variables language too? I think people here are too closed minded with MB doctrine..

Demarest

What's wrong with copying a new MB folder, placing his ini files, decompiling existing main files and placing these codes?
The fact that it's not mentioned in the instructions here. Look, it's great that you like one mod one person made, but what you're suggesting is that EVERYBODY interested in something he's done changing the way things have always been done. OR ONE PERSON could NOT try to re-invent the wheel after it's dutifuly served humanity for centuries. Two can play the extremities game wink.gif But to answer your question as to why not, it's because EVERY SINGLE copy of code I have on my computer (I've done a lot of projects; I have lots of TXT's floating about) has a line in the beginning to create player $PLAYER_CHAR. Going through the trouble of making a duplicate folder yadda yadda yadda (nevermind the fact that there's no instructions to do this) is not going to change the fact that whatever SCM I'm putting it into already has $PLAYER_CHAR scattered throughout the entire thing. I'm not talking about appearance things like is player playing instead of the is player defined we've all been using for years. We're talking about a variable. Something MB DOES consider on compile and WILL write incorrectly.

That's what I do with his mods and I'm fine. Hell, I'm more than fine
No you're not. If you're intuitive enough to take what's given and know how to apply it, that's fine. But it's not the topic of discussion. The topic of discussion is that without accompanying instructions to do exactly that, the code is UNUSABLE.

the whole SCJ mod is an achievement that I've never seen around here, before, when someone asked how could you run faster than a car he got a 'it's hardcoded, no way'..Well, he has done that and a lot more..
I'm not familiar with that particular mod, but if running faster is your guage, I did that in GTA3 3 years ago. Repeat after me: I haven't seen EVERYTHING. Because if you're not familiar with this scene, then you have no basis by which to make an assessment of it. I think it's fair to say that Y_Less and myself are the seasoned veterans of the coding scene in terms of currently active posters. We're in accordance here, but we must be wrong, eh? Would you like to look at my GTA3 INI? The one I've been using for 3 years? The one that I've only changed to ADD support for commands, making sure to keep with naming schemes that were in place before me because I'm not so arrogant as to presume they're mine to manipulate as I see fit? Or how about looking at my VC INI? Or my SA one? Oddly enough, they're 99% uniform with one another. But hey, what do the guys that wrote that stuff know? If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have the tools OR the knowledge to even make this stuff.

By the way, I don't use it, but isn't Sanny Builder written in another variables language too? I think people here are too closed minded with MB doctrine..
I'll tell you what. YOU can write as;ldkahgv;lihwewrnhs,dm,vcx and release it all you want. If nobody can use it and you're fine with that, then do it already. I've been releasing code mods for 3 years and I've always done it in a way that people can use. I'll give you an example. Click on the Coordinator v2 link in my sig. If you use the compiled SCM, you need to be running 1024x768 res. Did I just throw the file out there, or did I let people know? Did I provide a way for people using other resolutions to still be able to use it? Yes. Did I give them instructions on how to make the change? Yes. Did that change require a manipulation of the INI? Well since the VC engine supports a command that the mod uses, but the INI didn't include because it was never used in original code, yes. Did I ALERT my users that they would have to change their INI, complete with instructions on how to do so? YES! The code here, as it sits with the instructions accompanying it CANNOT BE USED BY ANYBODY. Even if they turned off using the INI on compile, you're going to have opening code that creates a player called $PLAYER_CHAR. Then you're going to have this code that asks about $PLAYER. The game will see that, say wtf?, and crash. It won't know what $PLAYER is, but it will be quite certain that it's not a player at all (which the opcode requires) and crash. So continue to defend it. It's wrong.

For somebody who seems to want to help Pynton, you're only making this worse confused.gif

Groo

Look, I'm not gonna start a fight with you, it's not worth it. I'm just gonna say that it's not that complicated to put his files in the MB folder and decompile a main. This man does great mods for the community and all he gets here is criticism. You know what, some time ago, people thought that the sun spinned around the earth, they really did.

I have not your coding experience, but dissing people's work for not fitting 5-3 years of method is wrong. THAT is wrong.

Y_Less

Firstly, Sanny uses MB syntax, the only major difference (which is documented) is it's use of @. Also, your reply shows you have not read Dems post at all, he was not majorly critisising PLPs new system, which we may not think it's right he uses it and that's fair enough. What Dem was saying was that while YOU may know how to use it not many people do and he has not provided any instruction on how to use it and without that you may have MAJOR problems (and by may I mean will).

Also, PLP, I appologise for bringing this in here, however if you did provide some sort of explanation on your new ini or alternate code then it wouldn't be needed as people wouldn't wonder why it was crashing.

Demarest

I'm just gonna say that it's not that complicated to put his files in the MB folder and decompile a main.
Where does it say you need to do that?!! You're missing the point altogether. Point aside, do you know how long it takes to decompile a SCM with SAMB? If that's not reason enough to use the system that was already in place instead of re-inventing the wheel, I don't know what it. You seem to miss the level of arrogance it takes for somebody to waltz in and think for a moment he's ABLE to just change the way things are done. Remember: To go along with the way things ARE done and have always been done is an instinct. To change them is a decision.

dissing people's work for not fitting 5-3 years of method is wrong. THAT is wrong.
I love this day and age. Disagree with anybody and you're dissing them... or being rude. People take everything personally instead of just dealing with the fact that everybody's different. If I release code that nobody can use, I expect somebody to say, "Hey man, why isn't this working?" Cause and effect. Action and consequence. What he released in the manner in which he released it is UNUSABLE. He must have a big dick if you can't see this past that. Hey, you said I was dissing, so there you have it.

Groo

Like I said I'm not going to continue fighting with you, but as you like I'm quoting you too:

He must have a big dick if you can't see this past that.

This is completely out of place. I'm not going to say anything bigger like you just did because it's not worth it and I don't want to get banned or something like that.

Y_Less

He must have a big dick if you can't see this past that. Hey, you said I was dissing, so there you have it.

Blatantly taking the piss. And I don't see what there is to argue about beyond what you introduced. Dem said he released his source without any instruction on how to install it which, considering he is using a non-standard instruction set would be advisable. In his SCJ mod he put at the bottom of the first post, "written using the unified opcodes database", which, while could be better (e.g. a link) is still perfectly sufficient to get people on the right track to getting it on. Here he either just assumes they know, which anyone who knows the assume rhyme will know is silly or forgot in which case why has he not replied here through this whole thing to say yes, either agree or disagree himself and add some sort of note to the first post, or not if he thinks people shouldn't know how to add this and use his new ini. There is no argument there, especially not with you.

Demarest
In his SCJ mod he put at the bottom of the first post, "written using the unified opcodes database", which, while could be better (e.g. a link) is still perfectly sufficient to get people on the right track to getting it on.

Actually, that's not true. I keep trying to point out that this is not about nomenclature choice. MB disregards that, so you could type mymothersawhore and it would compile. Pynton has seen fit to use vars like $PLAYER. When the rest of the code is based off the creation of a player in $PLAYER_CHAR, this will cause a conflict that will confuse/crash the game.

Demarest

Was having some problems with my own work and decided I'd Darkpact this to confirm my suspicions. In order to do that, not only did I have to replace the 2 player globals, but I had to reprogram 2 of the lines as it feeds the params to MB in a different order. So again I say that people customizing text is their own business. But NOBODY should should be reordering the params from that which EVERYBODY else uses. Especially without instructions for doing so. Sorry to kick a dead horse, but having to wrestle with it first hand was upsetting.

BUT that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting to announce that the mod has a further technological flaw. Upper locals in MAIN is NOT a reality. Sure you can set them. Sure sometimes you can read from them. But apparently the thread structure obeys the offsets and in a full SCM, this leads to overwriting things it should not. This was the problem I was experiencing and I thought I'd try Darkpacting this mod to confirm that it is in fact an error with upper locals and it is.

PLPynton

actually i needed more than 32 usual locals in main only twice:

first was ages ago bothering with ps2 and allwas working pretty well

second was inthis thread where i needed an array of 40 something locals. i did run testings and nothing unexpected happen so... i can only say as arrays on globals behave the same way local arays behave so you have to wach out for timers, nothing more seems to be. i have not find time to investigate it but is it right? it does not work for more than 34?

contributing

speaking of unified database: i just have read this topic thru! it highly unapropriate to discuss about things that have nothing to do with the piece of art that i am presenting there.

it is my child i love it and i am going to defend it at all costs. in the download link of it there are two files needed to use my codes. there is global custom name definition file there! besides I HAVE FOUND THE BIGGEST NUMBER OF OPCODES FOR THIS FORUM! i assume that my reputation proceeds me, nevretheless unified opcodes database "THE" is the most profesional release of its own kind, ever made and still the biggest library at the time and in the future so i do not understand why it is being attacked? do we have to discuss difference between:

before PLPynton: knock object [quantity: about lots]

after PLPynton: apply rotory pulse on object

or even better

before PLPynton: WRONG [lots]

after PLPynton: correct

ar superior

before PLPynton: unknown [quantity: lot more, quite few hundreds]

after PLPynton: pretty f...... clear

is that because i am the autor of several flawless mods or is it because noone dares to beat me in opcodes findings (what is actually already impossible)?.

let us back to the topic. i am going to upgrade mod tomorrow or day after with few things like some peds are trying to arrest you (and they bust your a..) if you ar agressive and as it is in real life if you drew your weaponary and cop sees that you going to be wanted: you do not have to shoot showing a weapon will be enough reason for chase.

Edited by PLPynton

Demarest

actually i needed more than 32 usual locals in main only twice:

first was ages ago bothering with ps2 and allwas working pretty well

second was inthis thread where i needed an array of 40 something locals. i did run testings and nothing unexpected happen so... i  can only say as arrays on globals behave the same way local arays behave so you have to wach out for timers, nothing more seems to be. i have not find time to investigate it but is it right? it does not work for more than 34?

It's hard to explain. I've had successes and I've had failures. However, the successes were almost all in a stripped SCM. In a full SCM, they crashed the game when switching away from using uppers stopped the crashing. So I decided I had to go back to the lowers, which cause ANOTHER rewrite of Windshield (4th one, all chasing after upper locals sad.gif). And when I did that, do you know what happened? Grove Street Families were wandering about Grove Street in a stripped SCM once more. I hadn't noticed that they weren't around before. Something about my setting upper locals overwrote something it shouldn't have. I think I told you in my PM that when I first read 100-104, they had values, but overwriting them didn't seem to hurt anything. Well wherever that overflow pointed to in a full SCM, it was crash worthy. I've just tested it again with a CLEAN DPLIII template (grumble grumble space) and it's confirmed: upper locals are only reliable in mission threads.

contributing

speaking of unified database: i just have read this topic thru! it highly unapropriate to discuss about things that have nothing to do with the piece of art that i am presenting there.

I don't know what specifically you're talking about, but your reinvention of the wheel here equates to unuseable code.

jarjar

This is a very good idea for a mod, very good idea. I don't know how you do it PLPynton, coming up with ideas like this all the time must be hard, I can't think up things like this off the top of my head straight away, so you have some real talent there mate icon14.gif. It's goo to see you really getting into SCM Modding, your very good at is, nice work icon14.gif.

/rates good

PLPynton

some of added:

- cop seeing you holding a gun will attempt to arrest you even due the fact you do not have wanted level. most of cops does that, and a very few will ignore you seeing your arsenal.

- some of pedestrians (undercover special forces/cops) are also capable of busting you. the chance is small but some of them can try! when they attempt to do so, some of them will chase you till they die or lose trial while most of them will disengage when you point your gun at them.

- some of the police/army force will get some brain and give up when targeting them, but well... most not, especially, when getting higher with your wanted level.

picture (if that does change anything...)

user posted image

Edited by PLPynton

Bigun

Mmm, nice! Maybe you should consider making a new topic for the above.

Some opinions of mine about the additions...

- cop seeing you holding a gun will attempt to arrest you even due the fact you do not have wanted level. most of cops does that, and a very few will ignore you seeing your arsenal.

In my opinion cops should ignore pistol, submachinegun and shotgun slots considering they're not so heavy weapons, all gangs have them (-shotguns. also, disregard this if you make cops chase and bust Ballas happy.gif ) and they can be considered just for self-defence (unlike walking down the street with a grenade/M4/rocker launcher biggrin.gif). Also if you don't yet, you should have a timer, so when the code "spots" you holding a weapon it doesnt immediately instruct cops to chase you etc, but first theres a timer (you know this; but use @32) loop that makes sure you remain with the weapon for at least one second (it has a wait 0 as well as it requires it pretty much). If your weapon is changed the code will jump to start and do all over again. This is so cops dont come after ya when scrolling from fists to pistol/melee weapon and choosing a heavy weapon 'along the way'.

- some of pedestrians (undercover special forces/cops) are also capable of busting you. the chance is small but some of them can try! when they attempt to do so, some of them will chase you till they die or lose trial while most of them will disengage when you point your gun at them.

- some of the police/army force will get some brain and give up when targeting them, but well... most not, especially, when getting higher with your wanted level.

So does the 'actor attempt to bust actor' opcode or whatitsname actually work? xmas.gif

OK, this is nice, but make it quite rare, else player will need to suspect each and every ped and keep killing them etc. Maybe you should consider making them calling a police car to come to take you and trying to make you stay in place instead of the traditional annoying "HA HA YOURE AUTOMATICALLY BUSTED" just for the undercover peds. Will make less need for being paranoid of every ped and also nice change from normal.

PLPynton

i will try to implement timers to get some reaction time, that is good idea.

yeap, this opcode works.

ok, i will use 1% chance for pedestrians (was 5%). and this idea with call 911 is just awesome! i will see what i can do.

thanks for the ideas mate. brilliant reaction.

Bigun

No problem. smile.gif

I like your mods and the least I can do is suggest some improvements.

ok, i will use 1% chance for pedestrians (was 5%).

OK, lol, if it already was that low I think you should of left it 5%. I thought it was more common. Being too rare could make the feature a little pointless/unnoticable. Also if you change it so it calls a cop car maybe even up to 10% as you can get away on that one and most of times will probably notice it rather than a ped suddently sneaking up on you and knocking you down, busting...

and this idea with call 911 is just awesome! i will see what i can do.

Hmm, you're obviously capable of doing that and it should be rather simple stuff. Actor takes out cellphone for awhile, an added quirk is if he is hurt/killed while cellphones out the "call" is "cancelled". If it was successful it spawns (with a delay to be realistic as police doesnt instantly arrive when called) a police car some 1-2 streets away to go near player and then bust...I guess if there's already a law enforcement vehicle near the player "police HQ will let them know" so they will chase you instead of a new car. As for the ped calling trying to make you remain in place and not escape, well, I dunno for that one.

I remind again you should make a new topic for the latest additions as it doesn't have anything to do with "weapon temp" (or request from a moderator to rename this topic instead).