2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Modding timecyc.net for Vice City

Cecil475

Does anyone know how to mod timecyc.dat for Vice City. I messed tith it a little replaced some lines from timecyc.dat from GTA3 and made the sky part red and blue. It made me interested in how many ways this file can be modded.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didnt know where this should be posted.

- Warren Lewis

Thanks.

This should help. But I'm not sure which numbers does what.

//////////////////////////////////////////////// SUNNY

// Amb    Amb_Obj    Amb_bl    Amb_Obj_bl Dir          Sky top  Sky bot  SunCore  SunCorona  SunSz  SprSz SprBght Shdw LightShd  PoleShd  FarClp  FogSt  LightOnGround LowCloudsRGB TopCloudRGB BottomCloudRGB  BlurRGB    WaterRGBA

// 11PM

75 75 75  95 95 95  55 55 55  95 85 85  242 222 222  15 10 40    55 45 45 255 5 0        5 0 0      1.0    1.0      1.0    160    100    0  2000.0  10.0 1.0    30 20 0  23 32 33 30 33 34  056  038  000  67  67  62  192

I wrote an editor a while back, i can release it if your interested?

The are fairly simple all the info are in the comments, they are mostly all colours RGB format so for example the first three numbers in the line in the post before this are the color for the ambient lighting for the game world at that particular time.

I wrote an editor a while back, i can release it if your interested?

The are fairly simple all the info are in the comments, they are mostly all colours RGB format so for example the first three numbers in the line in the post before this are the color for the ambient lighting for the game world at that particular time.

Please.

That would be more useful than trying to figure out the numbers myself.

Thanks

- Warren Lewis

This is a beta only and im only releasing it as per request and through this topic for the time being.

There will be a proper release along with some other tools in the following weeks on gtaforums.com and turnipfan.com.

Time Cycle Editor 0.1

You must have the timecyc.dat file in the same folder as the exe for this to work.

Other than that everything is simple, any trouble please reply here in the topic.

This only works for Vice City as per this topics request.

user posted image

Download: www.turnipfan.com/downloads/tce_beta_0.rar (71kb)

Feed back and sugestions would be excellent, post here or to [email protected] or through turnipfan.com,

-Dave

When I try it it says

'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on ok to terminate the apllication)

What did I do wrong?

user posted image

Did you have timecyc.dat in the same file as the EXE for the editor? And did you only try it on VC (the only version of GTA it works with)?

@REspawn - Looks really good. I've been interested in playing around with timecyc before but never got the results I really wanted smile.gif. It looks as though your editor might help solve some of my problems icon14.gif.

I do have one request though - would it be possible to whiz one up for GTA3 as well please? I'm only curious because it might be useful for converting the world lighting for the LC project - currently, some changes have been made, but there is still a lot of "warmth" about the lighting instead of the gloomy GTA3 atmosphere. Thanks in advance - best of luck with the editor smile.gif.

I've tried using it with just extracting into one folder, he included timecyc.dat, i tried putting it in my VC/Data Folder, that didn't work and i tried it in the VC Root folder. No dice.

user posted image

When I try it it says

'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on ok to terminate the apllication)

What did I do wrong?

Did you have a look at the readme!?

The error your getting is because you dont have the .net framework 2.0 installed, its free from microsoft.com, once you have that your good to go.

Download here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/dow...es/default.aspx

I do have one request though - would it be possible to whiz one up for GTA3 as well please? I'm only curious because it might be useful for converting the world lighting for the LC project - currently, some changes have been made, but there is still a lot of "warmth" about the lighting instead of the gloomy GTA3 atmosphere

Yea i have a full 3D version of this app that allows a real world preview of the changes to the game before save the file and it works for GTA3, VICE and San Andreas, thats why there is a play and pause button and some extra controls that look a bit outta place on the left of the app.

These and some other tool will be released in the next few weeks, any other ideas or sugestions people have would be excellent,

-Dave

Edited by REspawn

Ok, 3d version sounds good, editing weather in realtime alien.gif . Well almost. NET Update installing biggrin.gif

user posted image

When I try it it says

What did I do wrong?

Did you have a look at the readme!?

The error your getting is because you dont have the .net framework 2.0 installed, its free from microsoft.com, once you have that your good to go.

Download here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/dow...es/default.aspx

I do have one request though - would it be possible to whiz one up for GTA3 as well please? I'm only curious because it might be useful for converting the world lighting for the LC project - currently, some changes have been made, but there is still a lot of "warmth" about the lighting instead of the gloomy GTA3 atmosphere

Yea i have a full 3D version of this app that allows a real world preview of the changes to the game before save the file and it works for GTA3, VICE and San Andreas, thats why there is a play and pause button and some extra controls that look a bit outta place on the left of the app.

These and some other tool will be released in the next few weeks, any other ideas or sugestions people have would be excellent,

-Dave

Full 3D preview? Sounds awesome.

With this editor, and other assorted hacks (VC cam hack) playing these games will never be the same again. smile.gif

- Warren Lewis

Great tool RESpawn, but i think I might wait for 3d version. I wanna get SA Orange type sunsets in, but i cant without your special version alien.gif . I have an idea for proper release, maybe a convertion feature?

user posted image

Great tool RESpawn, but i think I might wait for 3d version. I wanna get SA Orange type sunsets in, but i cant without your special version alien.gif . I have an idea for proper release, maybe a convertion feature?

As in convert SA to Vice City.. sa has a nice bit more coloring info in there than vice city but it would be possible to apply a good bit of that coloring info to a selected time. So i shall put that in for you wink.gif

-Dave

Thanks, yeh thats what i meant, maybe 5 options, convert SA Desert to VC, Convert SA Country to VC, Convert LS to VC, Convert SF to VC and Convert LV to VC alien.gif

This tool is awesome, can't wait for the convertion one smile.gif

user posted image

GamerShotgun

Hi! Please help, i wanted to try out ur editor and the following error comes up:

user posted image

Hi! Please help, i wanted to try out ur editor and the following error comes up:

user posted image

You using a modified version of the file?

Using a file other than the vice city verson?

can you e-mail me the file your trying to read?

[email protected] if you dont mind,

Thanks,

-Dave

From my handling.cfg format research in GTAVC, it seems that all text data files are parsed as being the same format. It allows for all the different seperators and sections and whitespace and commenting used by all text data files; only some files use more of the allowed formatting than others.

That means you can have handling.cfg data like this:

; Generated by CFG Studio on 18/06/2005 13:01:02; Creator: Ben 'Cerbera' Millard; Website: http://projectcerbera.com;; This data is for Grand Theft Auto Vice City.  It will not work in any other game.# You can also use comments like this.       SANDKING, 1350.0, 1.7, 3.8, 2.2, 0.0, 0.01, 0.40, 75, 0.75, 0.60, 0.50, 5, 300.0, 25.0, 4, D, 3.5, 0.65, 0, 30.0, 1.00, 0.12, 0.38, 0.00, 40000, 0.35, -0.15, 0.50, 0.25, 4000001, 0, 1,#; you can leave blank lines and mix together comment characters

GTASA might be even more liberal when trying to process text data, since there are new types of formatting used by some of its text data files.

My guess is your tool hasn't accomodated all of the valid formatting which might be generated by other tools, or which might be done manually in Notepad. It took me a long time to make CFG Studio fully GTA compliant; it now can even open data formatted in ways GTA can't handle. smile.gif

Edited by Cerbera

From my handling.cfg format research in GTAVC, it seems that all text data files are parsed as being the same format. It allows for all the different seperators and sections and whitespace and commenting used by all text data files; only some files use more of the allowed formatting than others.

That means you can have handling.cfg data like this:

; Generated by CFG Studio on 18/06/2005 13:01:02; Creator: Ben 'Cerbera' Millard; Website: http://projectcerbera.com;; This data is for Grand Theft Auto Vice City.  It will not work in any other game.# You can also use comments like this.       SANDKING, 1350.0, 1.7, 3.8, 2.2, 0.0, 0.01, 0.40, 75, 0.75, 0.60, 0.50, 5, 300.0, 25.0, 4, D, 3.5, 0.65, 0, 30.0, 1.00, 0.12, 0.38, 0.00, 40000, 0.35, -0.15, 0.50, 0.25, 4000001, 0, 1,#; you can leave blank lines and mix together comment characters

GTASA might be even more liberal when trying to process text data, since there are new types of formatting used by some of its text data files.

My guess is your tool hasn't accomodated all of the valid formatting which might be generated by other tools, or which might be done manually in Notepad. It took me a long time to make CFG Studio fully GTA compliant; it now can even open data formatted in ways GTA can't handle. smile.gif

MasterK e-mailed me the file he was trying to open and it worked without and problems.

Its a beta tool and so its not to rubust yet.

Hence the word beta.

I understand it's a beta and I wasn't criticising it. I was just suggesting something you might look into for a future release. smile.gif

If you find any new formatting which GTASA text data allows, or you get a more methodical understanding of it, please post your findings. I'm hoping to find time to make CFG Studio open more files by supporting the generic set of rules I suspect GTA allows for its text data format.

Edited by Cerbera

I have the proper version handling most things you can throw at it, the ide and ipl parsers for G-Map can handle far more, and is much more capable of filling gaps and handling user mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the final version going, because i tried the one you released and it didnt work! I hit save and to test i switched from 12:00 to 11:00 and back, and it reverted! Can you please help me?

user posted image

Hows the final version going, because i tried the one you released and it didnt work! I hit save and to test i switched from 12:00 to 11:00 and back, and it reverted! Can you please help me?

Did you test in the game?

The editor might need you to close and reopen to see the changes since its a beta.

The new version is going very well.. i was just fixing up the lod system for sa yesterday.

I still have a load of things to turn on such as procedural mapping and the rendering of zones and such but i hopefully will have a beta version in the next two weeks for you guys to play with.

The app itsself is called G-Map, the timecycle editor / realtime preview is just one of the editors it houses.

user posted image

user posted image

the above two screens are the new version i have been working on, its a little plain looking but in the end it will more closley resemble this first version i completed a few months back...

user posted image

(As you can see the old version had some sh*tty alpha blending.. new version is all sexy)

I just want to make it clear that this is not a map editor, it is capable of editing the maps the same as MooMapper, Med or Ked do its more primarly a collection of editors which can be used through the central g-map application or individually as needed.

Current editors: G-Map (Main housing, incorps alll following editors) G-IMG (IMG Editor), G-TXD (TXD Editor), G-DAR (Radar editor, import image and export as collection of txd files and vice versa), G-CYC (Time cycle editor), G-H20 (water editor)

There are also a few other editors that i havent worked on yet like the procedural map editor, path editor, ped editor and such.

Anywho, more info soon,

-Dave

I tried but it didn't wor, and now it wont run at all! it says, Microsoft NET Framework error or something. The G Map is that gonna be final release? And what are those blue things in first picture?

user posted image

• 1 month later...

Not to be an complete nooblet but when will you release the 3D version as im sure it's not only me that really wants this! tounge2.gif

Soon enough, check turnipfan.com for more info.

Probably next 2-3 weeks, there are some other apps from the G-Tools getting released this week.