3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

VCS using San Andreas game engine?

I think they are using the San Andreas game engine in this game.

Evidence for this:

- You can swim

* San Andreas is the only game engine so far that allows you to swim in GTA

- There's also no more seamless exterior-to-interior gameplay as seen in LCS

* This means that there must be interiors, like in San Andreas where you walked into the floating yellow triangle and it transported you to another world in the game universe (as some of you may know, GTA:SA building interiors were in the sky but not loaded at the same time as the ground level, when you entered a yellow triangle it loaded the world that the interior was in and teleported you up to it, all very quickly of course tounge.gif)

- Far more interiors than its predecessors

* GTA:SA engine supported a huge number of interiors (some that didn't make it to the final game were on the disc, albeit unused) using the method I described above.

- Draw distance is great and is said to be better than Vice City on PS2

* Ok, what came after Vice City on the PS2? San Andreas, of course! This had a pretty good draw distance for it's time. Remember how you could usually see the skyscrapers in the centre of Los Santos when you were in Grove Street? smile.gif

- Binoculars are in the game

* San Andreas is the first game to have binoculars. It had infrared ones, night vision ones and zooming ones - remember the Area 69 mission in the desert?

Add to all this the fact that no game company, even the size of Rockstar, would rewrite perfectly good code, and I think that it's pretty clear that they're using the San Andreas engine as a base for this game rahkstar2.gif

I thought the SA engine was just a more complex coded version of the original gta3 engine...?

Well whatever it is, im sure itsgoing to be a greatly fun game. I cant wait to see what vehicles and music it'll contain ^_^

(1st post)

You make good points, I hadn't thought about that. However, in San Andreas, I only recall 2 types of goggles, Night Vision and Thermal; I don't think there were any that zoomed.

I believe it is a heavily modified VC engine. It said you could swim, but could you go underwater? Maybe just breast stroaking accross the water.

-You can't climb.

-Probably can't even crouch.

-No girlfriends (thank god).

-No car customization.

-No character customization.

-Jetskis weren't in SA.

-No Planes.

-No bikes (peddal).

EDIT- Dupzor, there's different versions of the engine but they are all the same engine. Like VC is .5 SA is .6. But I don't remember eactly.

..And I seemed to contradict my whole post.

Edited by GTA_Thomas

A very good theory. I think you're right. It's probably a scaled version of the SA Engine.

@ GTA_Thomas: Maybe they didn't all of that because they didn't have enough memory space or something. Also, who knows.....some of thos features may actually be in the game.

No. GTA3/VC/SA all used the same engine. EA bought the engine towards the end of SA's development. R* will never use the engine again. Hence why they made a new engine for LCS, and a new engine for TT/GTA4. Besides, Renderware doesn't even support PSP. monocle.gif

i think they are using bits of the SA engine

BTW illspirit by engine we mean the modification of the renderware that they used for the games

No. GTA3/VC/SA all used the same engine. EA bought the engine towards the end of SA's development. R* will never use the engine again. Hence why they made a new engine for LCS, and a new engine for TT/GTA4. Besides, Renderware doesn't even support PSP. monocle.gif

Gotta love it when someone tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

BAM! Illspirit to the rescue again.

I'm looking forward to playing gta4 on the table tennis engine, looks amazing.

BTW illspirit by engine we mean the modification of the renderware that they used for the games

The GTAIII trilogy are all using the Renderware engine, end of story.

Binoculars?...NO SA never had them. WHat the hell are you talking about?...I've never seen Binoculars in SA. They only had nightvision and that heat vision. And again interiors were in Vice City on ps2. They had about two or five interiors in Vice. Think more before saying stuff about what it didn't have.

2 or 5!?

Ocean View Hotel

Malibu

Appartment 3C

Mall

Bank

Mansion

Airport

Ammunations

Tool Shops

Jewelry Store

Grocery Store

First Aid Store

Ryton Aid Store

Cafe Robina

Police HQ

Ammunation Target Range

Memorial Stadium

When I say game engine, I mean the stuff that handles interactivity, vehicles, interiors etc. I know what Renderware is.

If you tried to use a complicated vehicle like a Hydra in GTA3, it would crash, no? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. The older game engines aren't complex enough.

And they were interiors, but not the kind that San Andreas uses (different worlds within a single game universe that are invisible unless specifically loaded)

2 or 5!?

Ocean View Hotel

Malibu

Appartment 3C

Mall

Bank

Mansion

Airport

Ammunations

Tool Shops

Jewelry Store

Grocery Store

First Aid Store

Ryton Aid Store

Cafe Robina

Police HQ

Ammunation Target Range

Memorial Stadium

Oh yeah I forgot about those. ><...But it still doesn't matter. It still had them and he was talking like they never were in the game.

I believe it is a heavily modified VC engine. It said you could swim, but could you go underwater? Maybe just breast stroaking accross the water.

-You can't climb.

-No girlfriends (thank god).

-No car customization.

-No character customization.

-Jetskis weren't in SA.

-No Planes.

-No bikes (peddal).

EDIT- Dupzor, there's different versions of the engine but they are all the same engine. Like VC is .5 SA is .6. But I don't remember eactly.

..And I seemed to contradict my whole post.

well if theres no character costomize then that means u can use ped cheats yay-yay

What game engine did they use for LCS?

No. GTA3/VC/SA all used the same engine. EA bought the engine towards the end of SA's development. R* will never use the engine again. Hence why they made a new engine for LCS, and a new engine for TT/GTA4. Besides, Renderware doesn't even support PSP.  monocle.gif

What game engine did they use for LCS?

It was one they made themselves as they had to obviously change the way the game engine was doing things for the not so capable PSP. I would say its base was the version of Renderware that Vice City used but not actually renderware. Like they took the content of Vice City meaning the features and everything but combined it with the city of Liberty and the game engine that would run it all together on the PSP.

I would say Rockstar have just further enhanced this new PSP GTA game engine for VCS and added in things like swimming and by the sounds of it tweaking the car and bike handling as well as support for a jetski which is a bit different to a boat. I'd say it would not be valid to say VCS is based on any specific game like LCS was said to be. If you notice in some of the new screenshots the game can have that same bright orange glow that we saw in SA just only at sunset.

Wasn't there an article about RAGE? Rockstar Advanced Gaming Engine.

Maybe they tested RAGE on console with Table Tennis and tested it on PSP with LCS.

No wait that's just stupid.

Although you couldn’t in LCS, I was told due to control limitations its well know crouching was first used in Vice City so I'd say there is a chance of that being in VCS.

theGTA hitman789

I think they will cuz LCS used da Vice City game engine, notice the way some peds 'n' somw gangsters run da same way in LCS 2 VC?

'n' they way u shoot a colt is da same in VC, and i doubt how somehow in only 3 years Toni Cipriani puts on all dat weight 2 look like da fat bastard he is in GTA 3, wi wasn't he dat fat in LCS, no1 can change as quick as dat, especially since he dus look a bit like Vercetti, notice da only thing changed is his facial features. mercie_blink.gif

Although you couldn’t in LCS, I was told due to control limitations its well know crouching was first used in Vice City so I'd say there is a chance of that being in VCS.

Control limitations on the PSP meant LCS couldnt have crounching, and with4 buttons and 1 stick missing, I doubt they will have it in VCS.

I think they will cuz LCS used da Vice City game engine, notice the way some peds 'n' somw gangsters run da same way in LCS 2 VC?

'n' they way u shoot a colt is da same in VC, and i doubt how somehow in only 3 years Toni Cipriani puts on all dat weight 2 look like da fat bastard he is in GTA 3, wi wasn't he dat fat in LCS, no1 can change as quick as dat, especially since he dus look a bit like Vercetti, notice da only thing changed is his facial features. mercie_blink.gif

No it didn't, it may have been based on Vice City but the actual game engine was made by rockstar just with the basic features of Vice City such as tryes popping, bailing out of moving cars, sniper through windscreen etc. And please drop the gangsta speak, its annoying and isn't needed.

Archaon, Lord of End Times

Control limitations on the PSP meant LCS couldnt have crounching, and with4 buttons and 1 stick missing, I doubt they will have it in VCS.

You're probably right, though it could be possible, aswell as strafing, but it would require a certain combination of button pushes, like LCS' free aim, for example. Crouching COULD be possible, though, think of LCS, the L button on PSP is just used for answering your cellphone, it could also be used as a crouching button, crouching could very well make a return in VCS, if R* takes advantage of the L button's availability.