4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

Em Tee Vee

Jordan

MTV. I hate it. That show where the people raid rooms while three of the opposite sex sit in a "van" on a sound stage as they "watch" it happen...Room Raiders. Every single thing that every person says on that show sounds 100% scripted. Add to that the fact that MTV edited Rockstar's San Andreas trailer WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. Remember that? Allow me to refresh your memory.

Shots in the "Welcome to Los Santos" trailer for San Andreas contained some drugs and guns, and MTV cut those shots out and aired the trailer. Rockstar then abruptly pulled the trailer from MTV permanently.

Vent about MTV here. It's not even music television anymore...

reboot

There hasn't been much music on MTV for like a decade now, it's mostly stupid shows that I don't want to watch. At least at one point it was like 90% music and 10% semi-interesting things to watch. Stuff like LiquidTV, Beavis and Butthead, Remote Control, and a few other random ones were actually half decent.

That said, I gave up bitching about it about half a decade ago. Once it got to the point where there was never music on it when flipped to it, I gave up any hope of them returning to a "mostly music" channel and just stopped watching.

darthYENIK

My anger for MTV in the past 10 years has been exausted. I don't wish to scream at it anymore. It's too tiresome to be angry at a television channel any longer. I really hate their shows more now than ever, and I wish never to see another episode of that sweet 16 episode, as long as I live. I just thank god, I don't HAVE to watch it.

Rayo Puño

I like Pimp My Ride, because I like seeing the cars, even though they always turn out with the dumbest, most rediculous sh*t in/on them. Xzibit is cool though.

And I like Cribs because I like seeing nice big houses, other than that the show is f*cking corny.

I used to like Celebrity Deathmatch, but the new ones just plain suck.

Blackah the Hackah

MTV should just change their name to RTV. Reality Television. Even though half of their reality shows are scripted. Like the dating shows they have. 90% of their scheduled programs are reality shows. I have to admit that I still do like The Real World, and those Real World/Road Rules challenges. They are actually good shows in my opinion. Besides, they are the only reality shows that MTV has that aren't scripted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't MTV2 originally supposed to be 24 hour music. And it was at one point in time, but don't they show television shows now? And commericials? But anyway, there's always MTV Jams (24 hours Rap/R&B) and MTV X (24 hour rock). If those are still around that is...

Venom
I like Pimp My Ride, because I like seeing the cars, even though they always turn out with the dumbest, most rediculous sh*t in/on them. Xzibit is cool though.

Flamethrowers, once icon14.gif

But it's less about the music these days, which is the most annoying.

Knife

I like Pimp and Cribs but wtf are they doing on Music Television?

ToyMachine
I like Pimp and Cribs but wtf are they doing on Music Television?

Uh, I don't know. Maybe Xzibit on one show and many singers and artists showing off their house on the other show have something to do with it. rolleyes.gif

TheDude5000

I hate MTV more than ever.

The channel that defined at least two generations is a joke now.

I'm proud to say that I have not had to watch a single minute of any of their original programming from 2000+.

And what small amount of music do they show is either screamo, or the most mindless rap acts.

I guess they decided back in 2000/2001 that people want crappy shows for tools, and crappy music for them as well.

Things are so bad, not even Beavis & Butthead coming back could help.

They'd still be surrounded by hours of bad shows and music, and I'm sure the MTV execs would want to f*ck with the show to make it PC and have rap influence, so they can get ratings. f*ck them.

At least we have Vh1, am I correct?

Oh wait, we don't have Vh1! That's right, it's becoming E!, but without the Saturday Night Live!

At least Vh1 still gives good shows, from their countdown shows like "100 Greatest Artists Of Hard Rock" to "100 Greatest One Hit Wonders" to their pop culture shows like "I Love The 80's" and "I Love The 90's".

-shaDow

The only music related thing on TV I can stomach these days is The Alternative on VH1 Classic, great f*cking show. The Dive on Fuse is good too but it's usually half good/half bad.

Also I can't believe Jordan still rants about the most obvious sh*t ever, that really needs to stop.

Scarface187

I'm proud to say that I have not had to watch a single minute of any of their original programming from 2000+.

And what small amount of music do they show is either screamo, or the most mindless rap acts.

I guess they decided back in 2000/2001 that people want crappy shows for tools, and crappy music for them as well.

They'd still be surrounded by hours of bad shows and music, and I'm sure the MTV execs would want to f*ck with the show to make it PC and have rap influence, so they can get ratings. f*ck them.

Oh wait, we don't have Vh1! That's right, it's becoming E!, but without the Saturday Night Live!

At least Vh1 still gives good shows, from their countdown shows like "100 Greatest Artists Of Hard Rock" to "100 Greatest One Hit Wonders" to their pop culture shows like "I Love The 80's" and "I Love The 90's".

Yeah but even the "I Love" series is starting to blow. They leave out some good stuff and just talk about more crappy stuff.

Magephil

Funny how MTV has a "counter-culture" thing to attract viewers that hate MTV.

I wonder how many people watch "Video on Trial" or "Ed the Sock" just to see MTV get dissed?

darthYENIK

VH1 had Metal Month, and Metal Month f*cking rocked!

Groovy

If your definition of metal is sh*tty cock rock and Metallica that is.

Scarface187

Actually there wasn't that much cock rock as I expected which was a good thing. When they had metal mania on vh1 they actually showed a lot of good videos if I can remember. It wasn't that bad considering how VH1 already is.

And theres nothing wrong with Metallica.....for the most part.

Bigs
The Alternative on VH1 Classic, great f*cking show. The Dive on Fuse is good too but it's usually half good/half bad.

Yeah, both of those are ones I watch often.

Also, VH1 Classic's Rock Fest (classic rock) and Metal Mania (even though a lot of it's hair/glam metal confused.gif ) good too. Classic/Current has some good videos too sometimes.

Fuse has some other shows I like, but recently it seems like they don't air as much good music as they used too.

Recently I started getting IMF (International Music Feed), and they have some good music. They have a lot of bad music too though.

@MTV:

Not really any shows I watch on there anymore, I haven't really seen any of their newer shows though. They still have some good stuff on Headbanger's Ball on MTV2.

ToyMachine

Metal Month was the biggest waste of an idea I have ever seen. They have shows that have people who apparently never listened to metal before in their lives, talking about metal and acting like they know their sh*t. By day 3 I was sick of hearing "Ozzy, the metal God" or "Metallica, the world's best metal band" over and over.

And they topped it off by inducting a bunch of sh*tty bands (excluding Priest) into some made up hall of fame. Bullsh*t I say.

Metal Mania is terrible. VH1's definition of metal is Skid Row, Guns N Roses and Def Leppard. Get that sh*t out of here, that stuff is as metal as my grandma, and she's pretty not metal.

Headbanger's Ball would've been better if it didn't have a boring person playing announcer and if it had more worthwile bands on it more often. Less crappy videos by crappy bands and more classic metal stuff, kthnx.

The only channel I watch when it comes to music is IMF. Not because it shows good music, but because I can watch stupid French/English/Romanian/Polish/etc people dance around like assholes. Plus it expands my horizons.

Uno Carb
Metal Month was the biggest waste of an idea I have ever seen. They have shows that have people who apparently never listened to metal before in their lives, talking about metal and acting like they know their sh*t. By day 3 I was sick of hearing "Ozzy, the metal God" or "Metallica, the world's best metal band" over and over.

And they topped it off by inducting a bunch of sh*tty bands (excluding Priest) into some made up hall of fame. Bullsh*t I say.

Metal Mania is terrible. VH1's definition of metal is Skid Row, Guns N Roses and Def Leppard. Get that sh*t out of here, that stuff is as metal as my grandma, and she's pretty not metal.

Headbanger's Ball would've been better if it didn't have a boring person playing announcer and if it had more worthwile bands on it more often. Less crappy videos by crappy bands and more classic metal stuff, kthnx.

The only channel I watch when it comes to music is IMF. Not because it shows good music, but because I can watch stupid French/English/Romanian/Polish/etc people dance around like assholes. Plus it expands my horizons.

Yeah like Uranium on FUSE, I guess they justified themselves being metal by after featuring sh*tty motorcycle rock bands and hardcore bands, "Oh hey, we still need to be metal. Let's interview Akercocke! and revive our true metal-ness!"

I know that has nothing to do with MTV, but MTV is boring to talk about because it sucks now.

Nate Baker1

Actually there wasn't that much cock rock as I expected which was a good thing. When they had metal mania on vh1 they actually showed a lot of good videos if I can remember. It wasn't that bad considering how VH1 already is.

Funny thing I think Metallic was voted the wussiest band somewhere because they now just decided to release all their music to sites. I remember they were so against napster and limewire and all those. Too bad they arent that great

ToyMachine

Funny thing I think Metallic was voted the wussiest band somewhere because they now just decided to release all their music to sites. I remember they were so against napster and limewire and all those. Too bad they arent that great

Metallica isn't all that great, but you're have no room to talk with that SOAD sig.

CM Punk

Yeah but even the "I Love" series is starting to blow. They leave out some good stuff and just talk about more crappy stuff.

It's always blown. It's nothing but crappy B list celebrities talking about sh*t nobody cares about.

Nate Baker1

Metallica isn't all that great, but you're have no room to talk with that SOAD sig.

Heh yeah somethow I knew somebody would mention it. Yes i know new stuff does suck, but you cant rag on their older self titled cd or STA, i think its better than metallica.

Is that Parent Control sh*t show still on?

Forty

I have three major issues with MTV, and I'll explain them in order of importance (least to most).

3. All of their original programming is staged or scripted to some degree. Everything they produce gives the air of spontaneity when it is so obviously rigged. Date My Mom, Room Raiders, Parental Control, Next, Why Can't I Be You?, etc. are all based on real events but are very blatantly unreal. Everyone has a clever catch phrase or zinger to say that completely belies their true intelligence (or lack thereof). Even shows like Made are fake to me. For example, there was one about a preppy goody-two-shoes girl who wanted to be a BMXer. Are you serious? No she doesn't. She doesn't want to ride bikes, she wants to meet hot skater guys. Each time I see something that is supposed to sound spontaneous and unscripted, it gives an air of predictability that has come to tire and annoy me. But kids still fall for it. Next is currently the most shining example of how fake and ridiculous MTV programming is. Just watch it for half an hour and you will see what I mean.

2. Everything is so material and shallow. They don't carry any undertone of moral decency or the cliche approach of seeing beauty within. It is all so surface-driven. All of their dating shows, all of their fashion implications, and everything about the network from top to bottom is about sex, money, popularity, hip-ness, and scantily clad teenage sluts. When did society denigrate to the point that MTV is allowed to get away with this? And why do people continue to feed off of it? When do the parents put and end to the cycle and tell their children to stop dressing and acting like music video bitches?

1. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MUSIC ANYMORE. How many shows on MTV actually play videos? Shows that aren't played in the middle of the night (After Hours)...? TRL is about it. And TRL is a f*cking joke. They don't even play entire videos. They play clips of videos with 5 minutes of screaming hipster children in between going "I JUST WANNA SAY HEY TO MY GIRLS MANDY BRANDY AND SANDY BACK AT HOME WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Does anyone remember what TRL was like when it originally began? It was Carson Daly sitting in a room with a computer, reading e-mails, and playing ENTIRE videos that people voted on from their home PCs. He would speak briefly between the vids, and then you would get an entirely uninterrupted view of the video that was voted for. The current presentation proves my point that it's no longer about the music. It's about the popularity of certain artists and the promotion of their shallow values as "role models".

When will it get back to the music? When will they get in touch with their roots and realize how far they've drifted from the original philosophy? It makes me sad, because I used to love MTV. Now it is an abomination of teenage pop culture and material judgement. I can't stand that f*cking network anymore.

Edited by 40ozFreak

Scarface187

Does anyone remember what TRL was like when it originally began? It was Carson Daly sitting in a room with a computer, reading e-mails, and playing ENTIRE videos that people voted on from their home PCs. He would speak briefly between the vids, and then you would get an entirely uninterrupted view of the video that was voted for. The current presentation proves my point that it's no longer about the music. It's about the popularity of certain artists and the promotion of their shallow values as "role models".

Those were the good days. When they actually played the whole video. Then someone had the bright idea to concentrate more on a f*cking audience and guest spots and sh*t.

The rest of those points were dead on on what I think of Mtv as well.

TheDude5000
I have three major issues with MTV, and I'll explain them in order of importance.

3. All of their original programming is staged or scripted to some degree. Everything they produce gives the air of spontaneity when it is so obviously rigged. Date My Mom, Room Raiders, Parental Control, Next, Why Can't I Be You?, etc. are all based on real events but are very blatantly unreal. Everyone has a clever catch phrase or zinger to say that completely belies their true intelligence (or lack thereof).

Well, I think they'd have to worry about the shows being shallow, superficial, idiotic crap, before they worry about more unscripted/realistic(ugh) programming.

darthYENIK

I said rocked, not RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKED, with a metal roar.

I agree most of the "Metal" they had on, wasn't metal. But I still liked it. So obviously I have a sh*tty idea of what's good, right.

Am I right? I must be right.

XBOXUSER

Oh my, have the mighty have fallen. And fallen hard, too. Beavis and Butthead is long gone, Viva La Bam was replaced with Homewrecker, which sucks, and Celebrity Deathmatch's new episodes are sh*t. Thanks MTV, for ruining my childhood.

Forty
I have three major issues with MTV, and I'll explain them in order of importance.

3. All of their original programming is staged or scripted to some degree. Everything they produce gives the air of spontaneity when it is so obviously rigged. Date My Mom, Room Raiders, Parental Control, Next, Why Can't I Be You?, etc. are all based on real events but are very blatantly unreal. Everyone has a clever catch phrase or zinger to say that completely belies their true intelligence (or lack thereof).

Well, I think they'd have to worry about the shows being shallow, superficial, idiotic crap, before they worry about more unscripted/realistic(ugh) programming.

That's why the scripting is only the 3rd most important of my points, and the superficiality is number 2. The least important was listed first in my post. smile.gif

ToyMachine

Heh yeah somethow I knew somebody would mention it. Yes i know new stuff does suck, but you cant rag on their older self titled cd or STA, i think its better than metallica.

Is that Parent Control sh*t show still on?

Their older stuff was pretty bad too.

Anyway, I can't help agree with 40, especially about the shallowness. Is it just me, or everytime they show a fat or ugly person on the network it is for a purpose to make fun of them/comic relief/or help them become beautiful so they can fit in with a crowd that hated them before and judged them on how they looked.

darthYENIK

Yeah. I was amazed when I was flipping through the channels and saw a 'larger' guy, on road rules. It still sucks though.

MTV has turned into the popular kid in highschool. Everybody likes them, but everybody hates them. And they think they are better then everyone.