2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Major Forum Relaunch

Over the past few months you have probably noticed how slow GTAForums has become. Although we have made speed improvements, is is clear that these improvements are not enough.

We have began developing a completely new forum system that has been built from the group up, whilst taking your suggestions into consideration. This forum will be the fastest ever to date - our initial tests and research suggest that most of the forum pages will load almost instantly. In the past, forum upgrades have helped for short while. However I am confident that this upgrade will last for the forseeable future, creating a solid foundation for the future of GTAForums, whatever that may be.

Of course speed isn't going to be the only difference. We are introducing plenty of new features that will make GTAForums a much more pleasent place to visit. If you've ever had an idea for GTAForums, now is the time to make yourself heard. We will be monitoring the forum suggestions forum very closely over the next few months.

Until the new forum system goes live, we will be making some feature cut-backs on the current forum to help speed things up. These feature cut-backs will be announced by other adminstrators and myself in this thread shortly.

Thank you for your patience!

UPDATE:

So anyone got an estimate of when it's gonna be out?

No. Forums are operating fine as it is, so the necessity of having our own custom boards has been reduced and placed on the back burner for the time being.

Edited by adamcs

So, what you're basically saying is that you've coded a whole new forum software? wow.gif

That is amazing, really icon14.gif

What like losing the PGC? Or GC? Or will it not be something so drastic ( referring to PGC lose ). Thanks for the heads up Tank.

Ah, thats the second best bit of news I've recieved all day. Along with the forums loading a lot faster, will we be ridd of 99.99% of downtime with the server, or all of those annoying 500: Internal Errors everybody has been getting?

Plus, will there be a day or two's downtime while you update the forums and all like there was last time?

It's good to see the staff is doing something about the forums though, thanks very much. smile.gif

Absolutely wonderful.

I always knew this was something this community could accomplish, and I'm glad to see them doing it.

Amazing... as if these forums weren't already some of the most feature rich on the weeble. icon14.gif

Will we be moving to SMF?

No.. it's going to be a system built by GTANet, for GTANet. icon14.gif

Damn, I need to read things more carefully.

I can't use the search feature (including 'all posts by a member'). Does this have anything to do with this.

Will we be moving to SMF?

No.. it's going to be a system built by GTANet, for GTANet. icon14.gif

If its as good as I imagine it will be (with the talents here at GTAF), then perhaps you can market and sell it as a viable forum software package.

I look forward to seeing this relaunch. I'm not as talented in coding as some of the folks around here, but if I can help in any way just PM me.

I can't use the search feature (including 'all posts by a member'). Does this have anything to do with this.

Search is disabled because it cripples the server tounge.gif

This is a huge task undertaking and kudos to all those involved up top for pressing for it. Im looking forward to seeing the results and making this network even more kickass (if possible)

Rewriting the forum? Thats a bit much, isnt it? I thought you guys were just too lazy to spread gtanet out over a few servers, but apparently there's something else stopping you from doing that. Bleh, good luck. Just don't trust Luke to code anything and don't, for the love of god, use php.

This is great news, especially if it means that the forums will be better as a whole, it's also great to know that that it'll be created for exclusively GTAnet, meaning it'll be optimal at running.

Hopefully all our usernames will remain intact.

I'm looking forward to it's release. smile.gif

I'd instantly register "Rob", "Rob.", "Rob_UK", "Rob UK" and any other concoction involving 'Rob', just for the sake of being an arsehole. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

I'm quite positive user names will stay. The staff wouldn't sacrifice almost five years of join dates and 100,000+ members when it's not completely necessary.

I was under the impression that the staff were hoping to port the information from the current GTAF straight over (more or less) to the new system when the time comes confused.gif. Usernames isn't what's worrying - there's a LOT of valuable information here, especially in the modding areas. I can't see the staff (of which several members have previously been or are currently involved in the modding aspect of GTA) just scrapping all of that info.

I wouldn't complain if all of the sh*t in Gen Chat disappeared though tounge.gif.

I'd instantly register "Rob", "Rob.", "Rob_UK", "Rob UK" and any other concoction involving 'Rob', just for the sake of being an arsehole. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

I'm quite positive user names will stay. The staff wouldn't sacrifice almost five years of join dates and 100,000+ members when it's not completely necessary.

Don't forget they always want to be high in the number at the (I don't remember it's name...) but they wanted to keep all usernames just for the statistics.

don't, for the love of god, use php.

Out of interest, what will the new software be written in?

Why go through all the hard work of coding and switch to vBulletin? It's got all of the features GTAF will need and it's much better than IPB, especially this version.

Edited by AZSupraT