4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
TheDude5000

Miami Vice (2006)

TheDude5000

I can't believe noone posted about this. Miami Vice is set for release July 28th.

Starring Colin Farrel and Jamie Foxx

Directed by Michael Mann, the man behind Heat and Collateral.

user posted image

Images

It's gonna be great. There have been numerous raving reviews for it already.

Here's the soundtrack info:

"In the Air Tonight" - Nonpoint

"One of These Mornings" - Moby with Patti LaBelle

"We're No Here" - Mogwai

"Sinner Man (Felix Da Housecat's Heavenly House Mix)" - Nina Simone

"Auto Rock" - Mogwai

"Arranca" - Manzanita

"Ready For Love" - India.Arie

"Strict Machine (We Are Glitter Goldfrapp Mix)" - Goldfrapp

"Pennies in My Pocket" - Emilio Estefan

"New World in My View" - King Britt & Sister Gertrude Morgan

"Sweep" - Blue Foundation

"Anthem" - Moby

"Blacklight Fantasy" - Freaky Chakra

"Mercado Nuevo" - John Murphy

"Who Are You" - John Murphy

"Ramblas" - King Britt & Tim Motzer

"A-500" - Klaus Badelt & Mark Batson

Not as impressive as the Collateral soundtrack. Hell, I don't really recognize any of these people, but I'm sure Mann knows what he's doing. I also hear that Audioslave will be in the movie.

Anyone here going to see it?

Edited by TheDude5000

GTA3Freak-2001

Yeah I am not happy with the move away from the 80's but because Michael Mann is behind it (cause if you didn't know he directed the orginal Miami Vice series) it should be good if not great

Can't say I know any of the songs but I gather the first song "In The Air Tonight" is a cover of the orginal Phil Collins classic that was heard in the orginal series. I wonder if Jan Hammer has been brought in to do any musical work even though his sound is very 80's which this movie isn't about.

Hmm just read something that may make this movie not so great, firstly Jamie Foxx is drama queen apprantly he refused to fly commericially and demanded a private jet as well as not wanting to do scenes involving boats or planes resulting in many re-writes of the script. There was also some scene in Dominican Republic where after hearing gunshots in the distance Jamie Foxx refused to return and which resulted in Micheal Mann having to change the ending to something not as great. Oh and there's Jamie Foxx complaining that Colin was getting payed more for his role.

-shaDow

They could've used much better Mogwai songs. Probably will end up seeing this if I've got a few bucks to spare, not extremely anticipating this or anything.

Edited by -shaDow

Venom

Personally, I think it's just an attempt to relive the early days, but make it urban.. I think It'll bomb. The trailer is very tempting at all. whatsthat.gif

TheDude5000

I'm visiting the official site, the restricted version now. It has a plethora of information, about Miami, about the movie, the characters, drug smuggling, other crimes, etc.

http://miamivice.com

They have some annoying age verification thing, you have to supply a valid US area code and a proper birth date to get in.

I reccommend you try to get into the restricted site, just look up zip codes if you don't reside in the US.

Great site, with some pretty good ambient music and clips from the movie. It's a good showcase of an atmosphere which I hope is in the movie.

cice
http://miamivice.com

They have some annoying age verification thing, you have to supply a valid US area code and a proper birth date to get in.

erm...I put in a fake name, random bd over 21 and a random 5 digit number as the zip code and got in easily.

I doubt I'll see it, but lol @ Jamie Foxx.

Tuff Luv Capo
lol @ Jamie Foxx.

Jamie foxx lols @ you.

JoeyLeone25

I'll admit that I am only going to see this film because I absolutely loved Collateral, Heat and Manhunter, however with that said, I don't think the previews look that bad, at times I enjoy a nice 'blow things up, twenty million people dieing at once, holy sh*t he's got seven uzi's' action films, so I think I'll probably go and so this on the opening weekend as it doesn't cost me anything anyway. tounge.gif

Also on the soundtrack I expected 'Numb/Encore - Jay-z/Linkin Park' to be on it, just for the fact it's on the UK trailer and it goes well with it.

CM Punk

It's not set in the 80s? I think I'll pass.

TheDude5000

Tune into NBC, they're giving a sort of Miami Vice marathon, hosted by Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrel.

Informant X

Can't touch the original Crockett and Tubbs.

eyeswideshut

I actually want to see a movie with Colin Farrell, simply stunning. I really want to go see this movie after seeing the preview on SpikeTV. Looks like Colin is gonna get some random chick and be a whiny baby the whole movie, he better kill some d00ds.

--CellTech--

I think the movie is going to kick ass, looks like a well planned out movie and the action seems to be pretty sweet.

GTA3Freak-2001

Apprantly its one of the first movies to be filmed in HD or maybe not the first but one of many first films in HD. That's why if you've noticed the trailer looks very clear and sharp even when not in HD format.

Otter

Well, it depends on what you mean by HD. Revenge of the Sith was shot entirely on digital as well. Superman was actually shot on digital 75mm - can you imagine the f*cking file sizes on that?

GTA3Freak-2001

Well, it depends on what you mean by HD.  Revenge of the Sith was shot entirely on digital as well.  Superman was actually shot on digital 75mm - can you imagine the f*cking file sizes on that?

HD was the wrong word, it was filmed according to Wikipedia like........

The film was shot digitally on a medium which Mann had used previously in Collateral, which also stars Foxx.

Otter

The industry is really confusing right now - there are so many "firsts" out there that it's getting to be a little silly. I was helping on a MOW last week that was using one of these highend new digi-cameras that feeds directly to a hard drive. Now we're only talking HD here, 1080p, and the harddrives can only handle 15 minutes of footage at a time!

It's similar to how they shot 28 days later--- the hubbub was all about how they shot the thing with a canon XL-1, but in actuality they rigged an XL-1 to spool uncompressed footage onto a harddrive instead of Mini DV.

An yhow... I'm stoked for this. It's either going to be awesome, or f*cking horrible.

TheDude5000

I can't wait.

It's at 90% at Rotten Tomatoes also.

Just a few more days.

I'd also like to let others know, that you can buy Seasons 1 & 2 of Miami Vice bundles together for about $20-40 at Best Buy & Circuit City, or at least that's what I've heard.

GTA3Freak-2001

I bought the First Season of Miami Vice, I've heard the Second Series has come out here in Australia too so I'll have to get that.

fallout-boy

Oh yea I saw the trailer for this movie today and i'm definitly going to see it. It looks cool,also the story looks good. I could be wrong though tounge.gif

Budgieboy

Hope its like Collateral, that movie kicked ass

Isnt the director doing the halo movie?

TheDude5000

I just came back from a 9 PM showing of the movie.

Two words are all I need to describe this movie:

f*cking amazing.

From the ambient, atmospheric shots of the ocean, and islands, to the zooming shots of the Miami skyline, this movie will definitely suck you in.

I'm definitely going to see this one again tommorow.

Don't believe all the negative buzz around imdb, and part of the media, it's a load of crap.

By the end credits, I started to view the movie in my head, as a whole. I just kept thinking about how well everything went together. From the amazing tropical

shots, to the boat scenes, to the final shootout. The movie just works so well.

I can't wait to see it again. I'll post a full review either here or in the review topic later..

GTA3Freak-2001

Goodie, thanks it doesn't come out til the week after next here in Aussieland so I am glad it will be worth going. Sounds like Mann still has it, I loved the way Mann created a atompshere in the series.

Forty

Collateral was fantastic, so was Heat. I have high hopes for this one. Based on what I've heard, and what my friends have told me, this one is definitely a watcher.

Kippers

I went to the London premiere on Thursday night by accident (my hotel just happened to be in Leicester Square) and it rocked. I didn't see the movie though sad.gif Personally i think it looks quite good.

Being too young i cant make a comparrison between this and the old TV show. But apparently that was really gritty as well?

TheDude5000

Some people are not going to like it for these two reasons:

-It's not a continuation of the MV series.

-It's not a popcorn action flick.

That's what the complaints are about. People who are expecting something like a Bad Boys III.

That's not what the movie is about. Those who know what to expect from a Mann movie, will be pleased, not your average teenager who was expecting explosions, a lot of shootouts. The movie is over 2 1/2 hours long, just like Heat.

This is one of the most grittiest films I've seen. Well developed characters who aren't your typical good guys.

There's at least two scene's where a criminal is shot in the head, even though they aren't really armed. One scene involves a neo-nazi holding a detonator, he is shot before he can even say he surrenders. This is a very realistic and gritty scene.

Tubbs shoots a suspect in the head, who was crawling on the floor reaching for a weapon. We can guess he did this because a man was threatening to kill his girlfriend, and he was desperate to gain control of the situation. Shows you how dark and realistic these characters are. They react to the situations in ways you wouldn't expect.

The film also has an amazing tropical atmosphere, and I'm not talking just about sandy beaches. Mann knows what he's doing when it comes to long distance shots. You will be amazed by some of the scenes of waterfalls, lush jungles, and just endless stretches of water.

There is also a running synth score in the movie, and I think that is f-ing awesome.

The soundtrack is pretty solid throughout the movie, though I was dissapointed to see how Audioslave songs were heard during every sex scene except for the first one. Thankfully one of the songs is used again at the end of the movie, to great effect, and of course this isn't a sex scene.

I've seen the movie 2 times already, and I'm seriously considering seeing it again. It's just that good, I can't wait to see it again.

I'll eventually get to writing a full review, but I'm busy working on a movie right now, so that'll have to wait.

Scarface187

Even though you said there aren't a lot of explosions and stuff like there. Is there at least one kind of big shootout like in Heat? I still have to see this and Clerks 2.

Forty

I'm sure there is plenty of action, Scarface. His point, if I'm not mistaken, is that Michael Mann flicks are not just popcorn-stuffers. They have action, they're gritty, they're raw, but also intelligently scripted with complex characters and great stories. Collateral is a shining example of this if you've ever seen it.

The only thing I don't get is what a "synth score" is.

Uno Carb

I thought this movie blew f*cking chunks.

Anyway, it was packed with about four or five sex scenes and half of the movie was romanticism of no plot advancement as opposed to Colin and Jamie busting some knuckles. Yeah, I was real dissappointed with this flick. I was expecting to see Colin and Jamie busting heads and sh*t, but there were only a few scenes of it. One at the beginning and two at the end. If you are looking for lots of action, I don't recommend this movie.

So 40, no, there's isn't a whole lot of action in this movie.

Forty

Hey, Uno.

Well I wasn't expecting a full blown action movie. Neither Heat nor Collateral are that either. But what action it did contain was taut and badass.