4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

Greatest Scenes Ever

Jordan

What's the greatest scene of a movie ever? And do one that is NOT action-based or romance-based.

Remember the scene in Jurassic Park where Richard Attenborough (white guy with white beard and hat that owns the park) is sitting at the table eating the melting ice cream and Laura Dern (the woman) comes and sits and talks with him and convinces him slowly to forget the park and concentrate on the people that are out in the park dying. That was one of the best character-to-character scenes I've ever seen. Go back and watch it. Just trust me. I saw it again the other day on AMC.

Also, I've heard that the scene in Heat where Al Pacino and Robert De Niro are talking to each other (only one scene) is great.

Groovy

The parade scene in Animal House

The Blues Brothers performing towards the end of the movie.

The end of Carlito's Way

Lockdogg

Lukes encounter with Vader on Bespin. When the "big secret" is revealed to Luke.

GTA3Freak-2001

When you say no action you mean the cliche movies like Die Hard, Arnie's stuff etc. that are basiclaly "blow sh*t up" and nothing more?

I have to agree that scene in Jurassic Park was great, I think you could also stick in the scene when we first see the Dinosaurs because at the time it was amazing to see. The Dance scene in Pulp Fiction is another one off the top of my head, can't think of any more though.

Also, I've heard that the scene in Heat where Al Pacino and Robert De Niro are talking to each other (only one scene) is great.

Ah yes it is great, powerful dialogue showing Pacino's ability to keep your attention.

gta_player5

I'm probably going to catch some heat from other members for this, saying I'm a band wagoner and what not, but, if I had to choose I would most likely choose the ending scene of Scarface. When Tony Montana attempts to defend his home against Sosa's men, who are storming his home. Great scene.

Or possibly in the same movie, when Tony confronts Frank and Mel in Franks office.

Andyzoot

x2 to Animal House parade!

Jurassic Park was on TV yesterday in England, I wished this topic was posted earlier so that I could see for myself. I can remember the scene on Jurassic Park where the two kids are in the kitchen and are being looked for by 2 velociraptors (I think that's the name) That scene mad eme shiss my pants when I was younger.

My personal choice would be the game of charades that Natalie Portman and Jean Reno play in the film Leon. In a break between all the killing Leon (Reno) and Matilda (Portman) play a game of charades where we see a different side to Leon the Hitman and also shows great interaction between the two characters. Also, Leon's impersonation of John Wayne is classic!

Venom

Space Camp. Where the test takes the children into space. wow.gificon14.gif

Goodfella.

I'm not gonna claim these to be the greatest, but they're some of my favourites..

Spider-Man 2: The whole talk with Uncle Ben, "I'm Spider-Man.. no more" and then the shot of Peter walking away with the suit hanging over the trash can, taken directly from the comics. Gave me goosebumps, or geekbumps, or whatever.

Oldboy: Once Oh Dae-Su finds out the big secret and just flies off the handle, though there is technically action in the scene it's not about that. Each one of his attempts end up being thwarted, crashing glass is silenced, the way the sound effects are taken away and you're left with the score alone, so in addition to shock of what was just revealed, you're left with that and the feeling of "sh*t, he's done for", and although he gets the upper hand eventually, by this point you kinda know that there is no happy ending so to say in this tale.

Reservoir Dogs: The whole interaction between Mr. Blonde and Mr. White, "You gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" classic.

All I can really think of at this point in time...

-slash

Pretty much all of the scenes with Vincent, Sol and Tyrone in Snatch.

Not exactly heart stoppers like those other ones, but hey, it's all I've got.

fox09

The entirety of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Big Slow

Not a movie scene per se, but there was an episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air where Will's father comes back. When Will's father leaves him behind, Will and his Uncle Phil have a conversation in which Will Smith does one of the best performances I've seen to date. That is my all time favorite charater interaction scene.

gta_king

I wouldnt say its one of the greatest ever but the Instrumentality scenes from End of Evangelion are beautifully done and quite disturbing. Starting from when Komm Susser, Tod started playing up until the end of the movie. Its quite tricky to explain because quite a lot happens, but one of the scenes where the main character is weighing up the option to end humanity has some of the best lines of dialogue.

Shinji:Nobody understands me.

Rei:You didn't understand anything.

Shinji:I thought it was supposed to be a world without unpleasantness... without uncertainty

Rei:Because you thought that everyone else was like you.

Shinji:Betrayed! You've betrayed my feelings!!

Rei:You've misunderstood from the start. You simply assumed without asking.

Shinji:Nobody wants me. So, everybody just die.

Rei:Then, what are those hands for?

Shinji:Nobody cares whether I exist or not... Nothing will change. So, everybody just die.

Rei:Then, what is that heart for?

Shinji:It'd be better if I wasn't here either. So I should just die, too.

Rei:Then, why are you here?

Shinji:Is it okay for me to be here?

Also a few scenes later.

Shinji (voice): What are dreams?

Misato (voice): Dreams?

Rei: Yes, dreams.

Shinji (voice): I don't understand... I don't really understand reality.

Rei (voice): So, you can't understand the gap between other's reality and your own truth.

Shinji (voice): I don't know where to find happiness.

Rei (voice): So, you can only find happiness in your dreams.

Shinji (voice): Then, this isn't reality... this world where no one exists.

Rei (voice): Yes, it's a dream.

Shinji (voice): So, I'm not here either.

Rei (voice): You were trying to remake reality with convenient fantasies.

Shinji (voice): Is that wrong?

Rei (voice): You were using fabrications to escape from reality.

Shinji (voice): Can't I dream alone?

Rei (voice): That would not be a dream. It would just be compensating for reality.

Shinji (voice): Then... where is my dream?

Rei (voice): It is the continuation of reality.

Shinji (voice): Where is... my reality?

Rei (voice): It is at the end of your dream.

Kanney
Pretty much all of the scenes with Vincent, Sol and Tyrone in Snatch.

Not exactly heart stoppers like those other ones, but hey, it's all I've got.

Agreed.

What have you done Tyrone? *crashing a car while parking*

It was a difficult angle.

Its right behind you Tyrone.

Getaway driver? What the f*ck can he get away from?

My choice would have to be the battles in 8 mile or some of the scenes in Training Day, Denzel is an amazing actor.

Scarface187

I could think of a ton from Clerks at the moment. The scene where the gum salesman harrasses Dante, the scene where they discuss the role independent contractors on the death star, the scene where Randal explains to Dante that title does not dictate behavior.. scenes like that.

I can think of a few other. Like in Episode 3 where Obi Wan confronts Anakin on Mustafar before the big fight. Then the scene in Snatch when Bricktop is explaining what the definition of nemesis is. I'd quote it but I'm too lazy now to dig up the quote right now.

And x3 for the Animal House parade scene, plus the scene where the pledges first pledge then get drunk and party, and then the camera goes over to the other frat house and shows them hazing Kevin Bacon.

Funny stuff.

EDIT - Thought of another one. From Sin City. The scene where [scene] Dwight sneaks up behind Jack (I think thats the character's name.) and tells him to stay away from Shelly or he'll cut him in ways that would make him useless to a woman. I love that whole line from him.

Edited by Scarface187

Andyzoot
Not a movie scene per se, but there was an episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air where Will's father comes back. When Will's father leaves him behind, Will and his Uncle Phil have a conversation in which Will Smith does one of the best performances I've seen to date. That is my all time favorite charater interaction scene.

Yeah I remember that episode, was a really emotional end to the episode. I also remember the endings of the one where Carlton accidently takes speed and the one where Carlton is kicked out of the fraternity group thing because he was black and part of a rich family. When Uncle Phil was serious he really showed his great acting abilities.

Grandthefter

In ghost ship when the little girl shows Julianna the history of ship and it speeds up/slows down everynow and then, and the music that plays. That's a great scene.

Snatch, where vinnie is having the speech about the desert eagle and replica's in the pub.

Saggy

I liked that scene in Shawhsank's Redemption when the warden throws Andy's chess piece through the poster and they discovered the tunnel.

That, and at the end of the movie when they meet up on the beach.

Andyzoot

The first scene in Full Metal Jacket...

"I don't like the name Laurence, only fa**ots and sailors are called Laurence!"

Sets the tone of the movie in just one scene.

caponester

The scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks character has a full 2 minute chat with Wilson, the volleyball over how much rope is needed for the raft. What makes this scene so great is we never hear what Wilson is saying, It's all in Tom Hanks mind. This is so special because each individual member of the audience will have different ideas of what Wilson sounds like in the mind of Tom Hanks, to me Wilson sounds like a typical cynic. cool.gif

Also the scene at the end of Collateral on the train where Tom Cruises's character comes face to face with the character of Jamie Fox. After an intensive shootout both are out of ammunition. Cruise, the assasin, instead of reloading his gun and completing his mission to kill, instead sits down on the train and dies quite peacefully. I feel this is such a great scene because a story Cruise tells Fox earlier in the movie about a man who died on the train and rode around all night without anyone noticing now comes true with him as the man who dies! Rather clever indeed. happy.gif

Finally I'd have to pick the scene from Black Hawk down where 2 special ops members have been guarding a downed Black Hawk in the middle of the city. With literally thousands of enraged Somalians descending on the scene the 2 special ops men are inevitably killed leaving the wounded helicopter pilot sitting there, out of ammunition, totally helpless. What makes this so brilliant is the fact that the feeling of total helplesness experienced by the character is felt throughout the audience. This scene is brilliantly completed at the end of the movie with the statement that both men were awarded the Medal of Honour for their bravery, followed up by the simple line "The first time this award has been handed out since Vietnam"

Scarface187
The first scene in Full Metal Jacket...

"I don't like the name Laurence, only fa**ots and sailors are called Laurence!"

Sets the tone of the movie in just one scene.

Laurence who? Laurence of Arabia?!

Or something like that.

That movie owns.

@Caponester - I'd reccomend spoiler tags with that much about those movies being said.

OH NO

thompson and his attorney f*cking with the hitchikers head in "fear and loathing in las vegas"

the whole films good, but the opening scenes are just class.

flitcroft101

I liked that scene in Shawhsank's Redemption when the warden throws Andy's chess piece through the poster and they discovered the tunnel.

That, and at the end of the movie when they meet up on the beach.

Yeah I agree biggrin.gif the look on his face.

"Nothing left but some rocks on the windowsill, and that cupcake on the wall. Let's ask her. Maybe she knows. What say there, fuzzy-britches? Feel like talking?"

Mullen

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: the climatic part towards the end, where the three men have their guns pointed at each other.

Apocalypse Now: the village atack scene, the scene where the boat arrives at the Do Lung Bridge, the killing of Kurtz...

Big Wednesday: the surfing scene at the end.

Taxi Driver: the "you talkin' to me?" scene.

The Deer Hunter: the scene where the captured US soldiers are forced to play the Russian Roulette by the vietcong. ("MAU! DI DI MAU!")

sadistic_greyfox

sin city, when the dog started eating part of that kid's lef that was cut off

of course the matrix hall way figh scene

man on fire torture scene in car

i can't think of more right now tounge2.gif

Big Slow
The scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks character has a full 2 minute chat with Wilson, the volleyball over how much rope is needed for the raft. What makes this scene so great is we never hear what Wilson is saying, It's all in Tom Hanks mind. This is so special because each individual member of the audience will have different ideas of what Wilson sounds like in the mind of Tom Hanks, to me Wilson sounds like a typical cynic. cool.gif

That scene was good, but when he loses Wilson near the end was better imo. I've never felt saddened by someone losing a piece of sports euqipment in my life.

Andyzoot

Jurassic Park was on TV yesterday in England, I wished this topic was posted earlier so that I could see for myself. I can remember the scene on Jurassic Park where the two kids are in the kitchen and are being looked for by 2 velociraptors (I think that's the name) That scene mad eme shiss my pants when I was younger.

My personal choice would be the game of charades that Natalie Portman and Jean Reno play in the film Leon. In a break between all the killing Leon (Reno) and Matilda (Portman) play a game of charades where we see a different side to Leon the Hitman and also shows great interaction between the two characters. Also, Leon's impersonation of John Wayne is classic!

Just found a video of the Leon scene if you want to watch it for yourself.

Made

Just found a video of the Leon scene if you want to watch it for yourself.

Leon the Professional is a favorite movie of mine. I like the scene where Leon is walking out of the building thinking he was going to make it, but the guy shows up, and Leon gives the guy the grenade pin as he dies.

The man who sold the world

Schindler's List: The final scene - Liam Neeson, nice icon14.gif

Saving Private Ryan: The scene in which Wade is killed, Tom Hanks' speech - brilliance

Hitler the rise of Evil: All of it, Robert Carlyle nice work

darthYENIK

I got a few.

1. Star Wars Episode III: (yeah, It's one of my favorite movies, f*ck OFF!) The fight scene with Obi-Wan and Anakin, including the scene just after Obi-Wan turns Anakin into a torso. There is a lot of emotion in that scene. It helped that Spielberg directed parts of it.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark: The first scene. It perfectly shows the character of Indiana jones. Well at least the adventurous side.

3. Lords of Dogtown: The scene when Skip(heath ledger, who was looked over in this movie, for the gay cowboy movie) is shaping the surf board after he sells his shop. He sold his most prized posession, and was bailed on by all of his friends, but he still gets to make surf boards. He then realizes, that is the reason he got the shop in the first place. And that makes it ok. At least that's my interpretation.

TenaciousD.
That scene was good, but when he loses Wilson near the end was better imo. I've never felt saddened by someone losing a piece of sports euqipment in my life.

x2

My favorite is in Almost Famous just after when Almost Famous just after Russel has had his acid trip, there all on Doris and no one is talking then a song just starts playing then slowly they all start joining in with the song. Not much happnes but its really cool