3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

asimov

x-men III

Mark }{

MAY CONTAIN MAJOR SPOILERS! I am too lazy to spoiler tag everything in this post, so if you do not wish to read spoilers then please skip over my post. Thank you.

I have decided to lurk up from my hiding spot to at least get one post in this topic, to give my opinion and also to offer some insight. First, opinion:

The movie was great, and even as an X-Men fan you could appreciate it. Yes, they mixed the comic's, cartoon's, and even changed a lot around. However, it was a good movie. The action was solid, and though the movie was short the plot was awesome. A cure for the mutant disease was a great way to get a "war" started. It also showed that some mutants would rather be normal, and that they have inner-conflicts. Not the best movie in the series, but it was a solid film.

And on to my insight:

About all the different death's, these are nothing new. For an amount of time in either the comic or the cartoon, Xavier was gone. I don't know if he was dead, but he was gone. At which point, Storm did take over if I remember correctly. So in a way, this was done well.

As for Scott/Cyclops, he never died in the comics or the cartoon, but if you think about it, he never died in the movie either. No body, no show of disenigration, so for all we know he could be wrapped in a cacoon, or he could of just left. After realizing he had truely lost Jean, he may have just left, not wanting anything to do with the mutants anymore.

As for Jean/Phoenix, she's not gone. She raised herself from the "dead" once, she can do it again. She's done it numerous times anyways. I have a feeling if there is another installment, she will be back. In fact, this whole movie could have been her Dark Phoenix stage, and in the next movie there would be the good side of the Phoenix.

As for Mystique, Rogue, and Magneto taking the cure. It isn't permanent. At the end of the movie, Magneto is able to move the puzzle piece again without touching it. I don't know what will happen with Rogue at all, but she wasn't a huge part of X2 or X3 anyways. As for Mystique, it is a copy of what happened in the comic/cartoon (I can't remember which). She was abandoned for some reason, and she joined the Academy for a period of time. However, she went back to the Brotherhood eventually. If there is an X4, look for her to jump around between the teams quite a bit.

I wish Angel would have had a bigger part. Then again, with everything going on in this movie it was nearly impossible to give him one. Beast didn't even have a big enough part in my opinion.

There was simply too much going on in this movie to cram it into an hour and 45 minutes. It should have been longer, much longer. I for one could have stayed and enjoyed an hour more from that movie. I almost hope for an X4 now simply to see if they can put a movie together out of what happened in X3. Not to mention in X4, they will HAVE to put in the Sentinel's. After all, at the beginning of the movie in the Danger Room, it did say somewhere in the near future.

Sure, it's not a true 100% depiction of the comic or the cartoon, but I think that is what makes it appeal to me. They are mixing, changing, and still making good movies out of it. Some die hard fans may be dissapointed, but I am not.

Tommy Corelli

Why dont they make a gambit character?

TEoS

Why dont they make a gambit character?

Sawyer from LOST said he wouldn't do it because he feared being type cast. (According to Goodfella anyway).

Awesome movie. I can't say it was worse then the others. Just different. I can't even put my finger on how it was different.

Ian McKellen was awesome as Magneto. Definitely one of my favorite performances in the past few years. The Juggernaut was awesome, and I was dying when he did the bit that everyone's talking about. The chase with Kitty Pryde was well done as well. I didn't like the whole Jean Grey being the most powerful thing in the universe bit, since she is definitely my least favorite character in the film. I know that's how it is in the comics, but I've never read them so I don't care. wow.gif

I liked how we got to see a broader range of mutants, since that was always my favorite part of X-Men: all the different powers. There wasn't much character development, but they were there. Character development is for pussies anyhow.

I liked the final scene as well. I was worried that they ruined my favorite character. I heard that there was an extra scene in the credits, but I didn't stick around to see it.

Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.

Jordan

Didn't like it. It wasn't as good as the second. That's all that matters. Good to see the kids liking it, though. I've found that people under 18 (and sometimes a bit above) are bad judges of movies anyway.

That one monitor they showed with the DELL logo pissed me off though.

Average Consumer with Little Real Computer/Technology/Internet Knowledge: "Oh look, it's a DELL monitor. I have a DELL computer because I think they are the best and they say in the commercials that they are number one for tech support and if it's in XMEN then I'll buy more of their products. Wow. What is http?"

Edited by Jordan

No Escape?

Ian McKellen was awesome as Magneto. Definitely one of my favorite performances in the past few years.

Agreed. I've always been a fan of McKellen's performances, and he certainly stole the show with this one.

Overall...the movie was alright. A few great moments, but many instances of abysmal acting (my friends cannot understand how I don't like the Juggernaut line). The wide array of mutants was nice, though, and Wolverine's action scenes were well done. In comparison to X-Men 2, I think 3 is more easy to follow, but overall X2 is the better movie.

Good to see the kids liking it, though. I've found that people under 18 (and sometimes a bit above) are bad judges of movies anyway.

Isn't that stereotyping? Don't you think it's possible that people under eighteen can have good tastes in movies? Or do we all enjoy crfappy action films because they have swearing in them?

TEoS
Didn't like it. It wasn't as good as the second. That's all that matters. Good to see the kids liking it, though. I've found that people under 18 (and sometimes a bit above) are bad judges of movies anyway.

That one monitor they showed with the DELL logo pissed me off though.

Average Consumer with Little Real Computer/Technology/Internet Knowledge: "Oh look, it's a DELL monitor. I have a DELL computer because I think they are the best and they say in the commercials that they are number one for tech support and if it's in XMEN then I'll buy more of their products. Wow. What is http?"

Sorry, could you try that post again? Only this time, be less of an arrogant tw*t.

GTA3Freak-2001

Anyone heard about the Wolverine and Magneto Movies?

Ben

@Mark - great post, you provided a lot of insight into some very worthwhile points. I knew some of that info, but you've just developed my knowledge for me wink.gif. Thanks smile.gif.

However, regarding the bit about the sentinels and the "near future" - it said "Sometime in the near future" in the X1 as well wink.gif, so who knows?

@Freak - Yeah, I've heard of them, and I know that according to Hugh Jackman the Wolverine movie is supposed to be a prequel to the X-Men movies, and it's due out next year sometime.

And the Magneto movie is supposed to be about Magneto defeating the Nazis and developing his power, and meeting Charles I think. Pretty sure I saw this stuff on Wikipedia or IMDB, so if you're interested, head over there and have a look see (too lazy for links tounge.gif!).

I wonder if they'll explain how Charles became a paraplegic in the Magneto movie? According to Wikipedia, he was fighting some alien and some boulders fell on his legs and crushed them (I think - it may have been some evil mutant and not an alien - I don't remember). It'll be interesting to see what they do smile.gif.

Tommy Corelli

Aren't the Juggernaut and Charles Xavier brothers?

Goodfella.

In the comics they're step brothers. Juggernaut is also not a mutant, but it's understandable they'd change a few things like that from the page to the screen. Still, Juggernaut was kinda wasted in that aspect I guess.. not as wasted as Colossus though. angry.gif

RedPanda

<<I found it sad and in a way creepy that the X-Men would use the cure against a fellow mutant. All throughtout the movies it was always shown that Magneto was a Jew and wanted mutants to join together. Yes, he was crazy at times but he was still one of them. >>

That being said enjoyed the movie somewhat. After X-Men 2 I knew things would be more focused on Wolverine my least favorite X-Men. So I will not be seeing the follow up Wolverine films that are planned for 2007 and beyond.

FLTstanway

Saw the film the other night and i thought it was better than the previous two (not having read the comics though). just a bit of an annoyance though was how scott's death and jean's revival wasn't really explained confused.gif , anyone know about that? but overall i thought the effects were stunning, but didn't expect charles to die, or at least not the way he did! oh any views, i thought the chess piece moved at the end but my mate disagreed? (ian mckellan as magneto i think made the films!)

Edited by papanesta

uNi

I just watched the movie, but I think Jean should had the flames as in the comics, and that bobby should stay in 'ice mode' more. The rest was a great movie, just hated Rogue decision, not anylike her.

Blackah the Hackah

Saw the film the other night and i thought it was better than the previous two (not having read the comics though). just a bit of an annoyance though was how scott's death and jean's revival wasn't really explained  confused.gif , anyone know about that? but overall i thought the effects were stunning, but didn't expect charles to die, or at least not the way he did! oh any views, i thought the chess piece moved at the end but my mate disagreed? (ian mckellan as magneto i think made the films!)

Just so you know, you should probably have spoiler tags around some of the information in your post, or at least say at the beginning that you have spoilers in your post to warn those who have not seen the movie. I'd have been pissed if I hadn't seen the movie yet and read in you're post that Charles Xavier dies.

Edited by papanesta

Informant X

Whats all the talk about this being the last X-MEN movie? What about Mr.Sinister and Apocalypse?

papanesta

*spoilers edited in.

buttmonkey

I think a x4 would be good but two films confermed are a Wolverine Baced film, and a Magneto baced film! looking forwerd to them.

ATK
I heard about the woverine one, but not the Magneto one. Looking forward to both of them. What is the Magneto one supposed to be about, I know the Wolverine one is before all th eother movies.

Ben
I heard about the woverine one, but not the Magneto one. Looking forward to both of them. What is the Magneto one supposed to be about, I know the Wolverine one is before all th eother movies.

Have a peek at my post at the bottom of the previous page wink.gif.

Also, about Colossus being "wasted" - doesn't he turn evil in the comics/cartoons as well? Perhaps we'll see some of that in X4 if it happens smile.gif.

Jordan

The second movie was so great because the X-Men were UNITED and that was so cool! In this one, though, they are split back up...bad decision...

uNi

Have a peek at my post at the bottom of the previous page wink.gif.

Also, about Colossus being "wasted" - doesn't he turn evil in the comics/cartoons as well? Perhaps we'll see some of that in X4 if it happens smile.gif.

Nah I don't think so, Colossus isn't that powerfull. Altough he could fight a bit with Juggernaut or Magneto use him as a toy. tounge.gif

asimov

that's a bit unfair there jordan. just because someones opinions on a movie differ to yourss does not make them bad. no matter their age.

as for storm, i thought she was better in 3 that she was in 1 or 2.

like that bit at the house, where magneto and xavier go inside to find jean. magneto gets all his followers to gaurd the door, then storm just unleashes that huge ass bolt of lighting and blows them all away. she is awesome

Whats all the talk about this being the last X-MEN movie? What about Mr.Sinister and Apocalypse?

apocolypse might be in the next one, but i wouldn't like it if he was, he is just a little too all powerful, not like jean grey, who can't really control herself, he knows what he is doing and just completely obliterates everything. no thanks

as for the magneto movie, i'll be the first in line to see it. *eyes glaze over*

Vengence

For anyone who didn't see the bonus at the end of all the credits, it is, a nurse is treating a patient, and the guy says her name and she turns to him and says, "Oh my god... Charles?!" So yeah, Xaiver is still alive bitches. Although how?

Also, when Charles went into Jean's house and Juggernaut was guarding it, I swear those two were brothers or something, so how didn't they say anything?

Goodfella.

I explained both things in the thread, god dammit Ali. angry.gif

Charles was talking to the students at the school earlier in the film about the rights and wrongs of possilbly transfering someone's conciousness into a comatose body. That's what he has done, it's not his body.

As far as Charles and Juggernaut being brothers (step brothers to be precise), they're simply not in the movie-verse, or they are but just couldn't be bothered to stop and chat about old times when there were far more important things going on. Juggernaut aint a mutant in the comics and cartoons either, but it's understandable they'd change stuff like that....

Jordan
that's a bit unfair there jordan. just because someones opinions on a movie differ to yourss does not make them bad. no matter their age.

It's all about what you've seen before and how what you just saw compares to all of the films you've ever seen. Now, if you were a film-aholic when you were very young then fine. But, I think it's something that takes a while. I'm not even fully there yet, but I've recognized what I said previously.

Goodfella.

What kind of fool do you have to be to just dismiss someones opinion for nothing other than the fact that they're under eighteen years of age. confused.gif

I know plenty of people younger than that who really know their sh*t movie wise.

darthYENIK

I Posted this on another forum, and decided to share with you guys...

Here is my Elitely hating this movie post.

They totally killed this series with this movie, even before the movie was half way over. They killed three of the original six main heroes. One of which seemed too be pointless. Why did Phoenix kill Cyclops? If Phoenix is Jean Grey's savage instinctual side, does this mean Jean Grey deep down wanted to kill him all along? Doubtful.

Then they turned Wolverine into some sort of cry baby team player. The original draw of wolverine, was the fact that he was a badass. He cries three times during the movie. He cries when Professor X dies, and then when he tells storm he loves Jean Grey, and then (the only time I say he should have), when he kills Jean.

They turned Angel, which was one of the original X-men in the comics, and a fan favorite. Was reduced to being a minor character with few lines, that had little to do with the story.

Juggernaut. What the f*ck. They build him up to be a powerful character, and you expect him to go out with a bang. But he bangs his head, and he's out.

And finally, the biggest thing, in my mind that killed this movie, was the fact that they blew all of their emotional load in the first half of the movie. This made the rest of the movie, including the climax seem like filler.

All in all, the replacement for Brian Singer did little more than kill the series.

As a fan of the comics, and of the first two movies, I find this movie to be fairly disapointing. It's ok for a single movie, but as part of a bigger story, it does nothing but kill.

PS, I was really looking forward to seeing Phoenix flying around in a flaming glory, as she does in the comics. But no cigar. Same thing goes for the sentinel, which they only show the decapitated head of in the dangeroom.

EDIT: and I also hate the fact that they effectively turned rogue into a normal human. Although judging from the last shot with magneto moving the chess piece, her powers may come back.

Edited by darthYENIK

Ben

I think what a lot of people are having difficulty grasping is the fact that this is an adaptation of the cartoons/comics to movie form. If your talking "X-Men cannon" then this doesn't count - it isn't official. So therefore, certain things are obviously going to be different.

As far as I was aware, there hasn't been a confirmation for X4 yet, however, they left their options open for it with th events of X3. Such as Magneto moving the chess piece - signifies the cure is imperfect and also not permanent (as someone else pointed out); Charles is still alive, and can therefore be a part of the next movie; you don't actually see Cyclops die - that's left to assumption (even Jean is unsure); and Jean returned once previously, so therefore one could assume it's possible for her to do so once again (also, I'll make mention of the tree near the end, where the leaves appear unattached/floating, perhaps alluding to Jean's return - i.e. - her conscience may still be "alive" and therefore transferrable to another body), not to mention the fact that a "good" Phoenix appears in the comics/cartoons, so this is a possibility for X4.

That pretty much covers all angles for the supposed "plot errors" - the only thing missing is a way to make Jean return (although technically you don't see her die), and also exactly what happened to Cyclops. I think that they have plenty to play with in terms of an X4.

As for blowing the emotional load too early - I've seen X3 3 times, and each time I think the significance of the climax increases (especially when Wolverine stabs Jean). Sure, they did play a lot of the emotional card early on, but they did leave enough behind for the climax IMO.

It would've been nice if the film was longer, and if the minor characters all played a bigger part, but hey, you can't please everybody tounge.gif.

And as for Wolverine being a cry-baby - I think it shows how much more human he is, and also fits in with when Jean says "he's tamed you", in reference to Xavier. Personally, I think this was a positive for the film - I'd have been quite horrified if he showed no emotion about it at all. They did keep with his tough-guy perception though by showing him not attending the funeral, instead watching, and then taking a private moment of reflection later.

That's just my impressions of the movie though - I'm hoping a great deal for an X4 smile.gif.

uNi
I Posted this on another forum, and decided to share with you guys...

Here is my Elitely hating this movie post.

They totally killed this series with this movie, even before the movie was half way over. They killed three of the original six main heroes. One of which seemed too be pointless. Why did Phoenix kill Cyclops? If Phoenix is Jean Grey's savage instinctual side, does this mean Jean Grey deep down wanted to kill him all along? Doubtful.

Then they turned Wolverine into some sort of cry baby team player. The original draw of wolverine, was the fact that he was a badass. He cries three times during the movie. He cries when Professor X dies, and then when he tells storm he loves Jean Grey, and then (the only time I say he should have), when he kills Jean.

They turned Angel, which was one of the original X-men in the comics, and a fan favorite. Was reduced to being a minor character with few lines, that had little to do with the story.

Juggernaut. What the f*ck. They build him up to be a powerful character, and you expect him to go out with a bang. But he bangs his head, and he's out.

And finally, the biggest thing, in my mind that killed this movie, was the fact that they blew all of their emotional load in the first half of the movie. This made the rest of the movie, including the climax seem like filler.

All in all, the replacement for Brian Singer did little more than kill the series.

As a fan of the comics, and of the first two movies, I find this movie to be fairly disapointing. It's ok for a single movie, but as part of a bigger story, it does nothing but kill.

PS, I was really looking forward to seeing Phoenix flying around in a flaming glory, as she does in the comics. But no cigar. Same thing goes for the sentinel, which they only show the decapitated head of in the dangeroom.

EDIT: and I also hate the fact that they effectively turned rogue into a normal human. Although judging from the last shot with magneto moving the chess piece, her powers may come back.

I agree, Wolverine isn't like that at all. As for Angel a bit less and he didn't even would appear in the movie, nothing special for him.

Juggernaut is too small for a start, they could had build some suit like the Thing. And his Professor's stepbrother, they could atleast say something.

Yeah I was expecting a flaming Phoenix. Rogue have a minor role too, and didn't agree with her decision on doing that.

Anyway there's alot of things I would love to see in the movie and others I hate but is hard to convert a

universe like the Marvel into the screen, more compacting into a movie. But from the Marvel's ones so far X-men 1/2/3 is the best, they make a silly Spider-man and an idiot dumbass Hulk.

Guglielminpietro

I thought it was a pretty good film all in all. I was pretty shocked that so many prominent characters apparantly died or lost their abilities. But by the end, most of them were left with windows through which to return - with the 'cure' possibly being only temporary as Magneto regains a little bit of his power at the end there, with the fact that Jean Grey has 'come back from the dead' before, with Xavier apparantly transferring his consciousness into that other body in the bonus scene, and that we don't actually see Cyclops die. That is, if they make a 4th movie, which I doubt. Big shame that Gambit wasn't in it, and that Nightcrawler didn't reappear after being such a prominent character in X2.

I've got a question for any x-men boffins out there... who were the two characters who Wolverine fought during the movie? Firstly, the guy who shot spikes out of his arms, and secondly the guy whose arms keep growing back and is eventually defeated with a swift kick to the nads?

smile.gif