3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

asimov

x-men III

asimov

I just saw it yesterday and i must say i enjoyed it more than the other two, which were also very awesome.

so what did everyone else think?

mykellhorror

I thought as a movie itself it was decent.

As a part of the X-Men series it was a travesty.

I went in the theatre with low expectations and was suprisingly dissapointed anyways.

I was hoping that the Juggernaut would at least be cool. He wasn't, but when they pulled that f*cking Juggernaut Bitch joke it reached a whole new low.

Like I said it is a decent movie by itself, but if you are a fan of comics expect disapointment.

Ben

I actually really enjoyed it icon14.gif. It was a little short, but still really good - I liked it more than the first two, but it was set out completely differently (as in, the style and sequence of events was different - with a different director, what can you expect?).

I am, however, regretting that I didn't stay after the credits and see that bonus scene. Would someone please like to enlighten me as to the contents and dialogue (I've been told basically what happened, but I would like to know what was said)? Thanks in advance smile.gif.

asimov

bonus scene, god damit. i always leave the cinemas as soon as the crdits start rolling.

Waddy

I cant wait to see this movie, Love the X-men series! Cartoons aswell blush.gif

Ill get there over the weekend at some point, Thanks for the info on the bonus scene smile.gif

Goodfella.

Being a huge X-Men fan I went into the cinema with little to no expectations due to the sh*t that had been getting thrown around about this movie, and I must say I was pleasently suprised. It wasn't as good as X2, probably not good enough to be the apparent final X-Men film, but a worthy addition to the series.

Things I didn't like:

Scott's death, for one it shouldn't of happened, but the way it was so sudden really ticked me off. Cyclops is a great character, yet he didn't get a chance to shine in the whole trilogy. They didn't even mention him at Xavier's funeral ffs.

The under use of Colossus and Angel, they were pretty much cameos, rather than the suggested supporting roles. The Angel scenes were great though in my opinion.

"I'm the Juggernaught, bitch!" so cheap, just so so cheap.

The actions pieces though good seemed to be missing something, there wasn't really any one on one brawls that stood out, like Wolverine vs Deathstrike or Sabertooth in the previous movies. Though Juggernaught kicking the sh*t out of Wolverine at the Grey's house was awesome.

Bastardisation of Psylocke.

The super speedy transition from day to night when Magneto's 'ride' arives at alcatraz. Seriously, wtf.

Things I did like:

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, on form as always.

Beast! though I admit the make up isn't perfect, he brought the character to life. I loved the way he fought in the final battle, despite the dodgy bit of wirework here and there.

Kitty Pryde. Despite the little screen time she had, Ellen Page really did well, she even came off as badass at times. If there's an X4 or spin off for the younger mutants I hope she has a big role. Same with Ben Foster as Angel.

The whole sequence the second time at the Grey's house. I just really felt the emotion here, I never thought I'd be saddened by Xavier's death, but I really was. Wolverine clawing along the ceiling was really cool. Xavier's death was also pretty damm scary in my opinion, then Logan and Ororo breeaking down at his empty wheel chair, I really felt it.

I was happy with the way Phoenix was handled, despite there being no phoenix effect.. we saw that under the water in X2, yet it's not here at all.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I enjoyed Halle Berry as Storm in this movie, she actually felt like she had a reason to be there in this one.

Pyro was awesome, not only is Aaron Stanford a really good actor (as he was in X2), but the power display was really cool too. Magneto tossing cars in the air then Pyro egniting them to create huge bombs was sweet. The Pyro vs Iceman battle was a bit of a cop out, but the finishing blow was great.

And finally the end, Wolverine confronting Jean, skin being ripped apart, but keeps on going, then "you'd die for them?" "not them" and the inevitable *snikt. Hearbreaking stuff.

I could probably list other stuff for my likes and gripes, but I can't think right now. I watched the previous movies the night before watching X3 so that's why I might have found the emotional scenes all the more touching, I dunno. But when I came home I really just wanted to watch it again, can't wait for the dvd.

If Ratner had been given more time I believe he could of made something great here, ut by the time he come on board everything that was gonna happen had been decided on already. And of course there'll always be the "what if Bryan Singer directed X-Men, what would it have been like?" questions, but I gues we'll never know.

Bring on the Wolverine spin off is what I say...

[edit]

Oh and regarding the extra scene, I waited through the credits to see it, only to have my moronic cinema people bring down the curtain just before it played... WANKERS. I've been told what happens though, don't really know what to think of it to be honest. But someone I know (who is pretty credible) spoke to one of the writers at a preview screening, and he said that that whole scene would be entirely if an X4 is gonna be made, so Patrick Stewart can return, how you ask? well that comatose body is apparently Xavier's twin. Bad idea, we've had one return after death with Jean, and if anyone else should come back it should be Cyclops god dammit.

Edited by Goodfella.

Grandthefter

I'm going to watch it later on today, xmen 2 has been the best i've seen so far. I'm hoping this one is better than that too, the trailers make it look good.

Damaso

Dude, you should stay after the credits are done. Me and my girl were the only ones left after the credits. Good thing I heard it from my radio DJ friend.

TOGA62

sh*t. If i hadn't had stuff to do I would have waited. What exactly happened in the extra scene after the credits?

I personally liked it. And the Juggernaut Bitch thing I thought was down right hilarious because I never expected them to actually include a little "inside" joke (if you want to call it that) into the movie. Shows they are at least paying attention to fan based material.

and a link to the juggernaut bitch clip that started it all...

swearing included in the below link. so be warned

"I'm the juggernaut bitch!"

Goodfella.

In the after credits scene Moira McTaggert is in her lab hen she hears Xavier's voice speak to her, she turns to the comatose body that Xavier showed the video of when talking to the students earlier and says "Charles?". So he has pretty much transfered his conciousness into the comatose body.

The "I'm the Juggernaught, bitch" thing (although pretty funny at first) is just another little fad, and a cheap one at that. Kitty showed him who the bitch was though. biggrin.gif

Grandthefter

I thought that it was a good film, the final scene was only like 3 seconds long however, still good though. Is there going to be an xmen4 or was the ending just so then everybody would be happy again?

Goodfella.

I think that all depends of Fox really. If the movie earns enough they'll want to make it, but I don't think Hugh Jackman will return. He was just on Jonathan Ross with Halle Berry and he said it's the final one, while she said it might not be. He's going for the Wolverine spin off though.

If there's an X-Men 4 it'll probably revolve around the younger mutants such as Iceman, Kitty Pryde and Angel, Kelsey Grammer has also signed a contract to say he'll return for a sequel if they want him. But Wolverine is the crowd puller, and that's obviously why they've been saving Gambit. Though he isn't as popular as Logan, he has a big enough fan base and the 'bad ass' factor to fill the gap.

I kinda feel like the sun has set on the story to be honest, I wouldn't mind it ending there, but if it was handled well I also wouldn't object to X4. Just they should bring back Brian Singer, and it wouldn't be the same without Hugh.

Again I look forward to the Wolverine movie.

papanesta

Damnit, why do I always read spoiler tags!? biggrin.gif

mykellhorror

Does anybody else remember that the Juggernaut isn't even supposed to be a 'mutant'? He was supposed to have gotten his powers from the 'Crimson Ruby' and therefore it was improbable that little boy leech sucked his mutant power away. I still can't get over the fact that they used Juggernaut Bitch in the movie. When he first said "Do you know who I am?" I felt my stomache churn; hoping that they wouldn't swoop as low as they did with the next line. Ewww.

edit: oh yeah- juggernaut is supposed to be Xavier's brother, but I suppose when you make a movie you have the right to f*ck things up as much as possible so long as it makes a buck.

Y_Less

Just one thing. If there is another one - why can't they bring Scott back? They only found his glasses and Jean didn't know what happened, Logan convinced her (though he too thought it) that she killed him, there was no body

jarjar

Just one thing.  If there is another one - why can't they bring Scott back?  They only found his glasses and Jean didn't know what happened, Logan convinced her (though he too thought it) that she killed him, there was no body

Yeah, i thought that was weird too. confused.gif Anyway, i thought the movie was great, only saw it last night, did't expect it to be as good as it was though. The ending was really well done. Leaves it open for another movie mabye, though it's weird because from the movies title you would think it is the last. Who knows really. Might be good though. The special effects are great too, , the bridge moving through the air at the end was great, a bt unrealistic because the things to hold it up where broken, but still well done.. Great movie. icon14.gif

Captain Keyes

Caught the 12:15am showing last night. I found it really disappointing, because many of the characters I thought would play huge parts were either absent because of one reason or another or they played very minor roles. For me the fight scenes and the final battle also left a lot to be desired. I really enjoyed the second movie, and having a different director in this one really showed.

Also, all the hype about this being the last stand and the finale to the trilogy was a bunch of bs, because they left the door wide open for a sequel with those teasers at the end.

The Juggernaut thing was funny though. The whole row of people in front of me was prepared for it and they all yelled it out at the same time.

GTA3Freak-2001

Yeah just came back from seeing it and yeah it was quite decent but like others have said some characters just didn't get their deserved spotlight like Beast and Angel, they focused more on the main characters which I guess happens when you try and cram it into a movie. The Juganaught and his "Bitch" comment was just totally uneeded as was Kitty's reponse "dick head" but still Vinnie Jones was cool.

asimov

one thing i would have to stay stood out the most to me, was the level of style magneto had.

i mean, it is very hard to find bad things to say about Ian macellens performance and the character itself in the first two, but in X3, he carved in spot in my all time favourite villan/hero list.

like that bit on the highway where magneto completely stomps that high security police convy, that was o freakin' awesome! then he goes and just moves the whole golden gate bridge without working up a sweat? top it al off with that costume and you have one of the collest viallans ever.

JoeyLeone25

It was alright, nothing special, nothing poor. It didn't last very long and the emotional scenes dragged on and bored me to death (well not literally ofcourse!). The most exciting scene that would make it go from an average film to an alright film was the ending (the fighting) I thought it was very well done. And a fourth will be done...remember it is Hollywood!

Blackah the Hackah

Well, I thought the movie was pretty good. It's been a while since I watched the cartoons, and I never read the comics so of course I wouldn't be as critical on the movie as true X-Men fans are.

I only have one real question though. What's up with Storm's accent? I mean, she's from Africa right? In the cartoon she had an accent, in X-Men I she had an accent, in X-Men II it was off and on. In X-Men III she has no accent at all. What's up with that?

I wish there would've been more Sentinels in the movie. There was one and you really don't even seem it actually. You see its eyes through the clouds and then the head after Wolverine chops it off.

Gambit was one of my favorites. Too bad he wasn't in this one. Same with Nightcrawler. They really didn't make good use of him in X-Men II and he's nowhere to be found in X-Men III.

"I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" 'Nuff said.

Edited by Blackah the Hackah

Sixdust

The movie was great, I really didnt want to see it but after just seeing x2 I decided to go see the movie. The acting was good as usual, and Wolverine as always is completely badass, especially when he lights up his cigar on the flaming car and when the ironman threw him at the robot I was really disapointed that they killed off Charles, Jean and Scott and that characters like Angel were so unrecognized in the movie. Also I hated the whole teen romance crap between you know who. There were also a few errors were there not? Isnt the kid who multiplies, the guy that shoots spikes at logan, and the porcupine guy all part of the acedemy, and not the brotherhood? And wasn't the guy that turns to steel part of the brotherhood? Also Beast kicked major ass in the movie, scott was just an accesory to me, Jean's return was useless and even though she had the power to destory the world, she wasnt even put into the spotlight as much. Also whats with Storms new look? And what is to happen to Mystique?

As for the best line ever, the whole theater errupted after the whole "I'm the juggernaut, bitch" and "Dickhead" lines were said, as well as the "I gotta pee" line Also isnt the Juggernaut supposed to be americanish and not english?.

I am considering seeing it agian with some other friends and I am also buying getting the movie.

Edited by Sixdust

fox09

I'm still confused.

Where the hell did Jean come from? Scott shoots the water, and then she just spawns infront of him.

Liek, what the crap?

And how come both Logan and Scott were in love with Jean?

I haven't seen the first two, so forgive my ignorance.

Dome Piece

Just saw this movie. Very, very dissapointed. sad.gif

Goodfella.

It explains in X-Men 3 that after Jean was swept away by the water at Alkalai Lake she created a telekenetic cocoon preserving herself. She was telepathically calling to Scott, I dunno if his blasts made her rise or what. Logan and Scott both fell in love with Jean for their individual reasons I guess, it happens you know. You should go back and watch the other two, it isn't really newbie friendly.

@Sixdust: Colossus (the guy you're reffering too as the iron man) went to the brotherhood at one point momentarily (after his sister was killed), but was originally and is currently an X-Man. He's a classic character, introduced o the team the same issue as Wolverine,Storm, Nightcrawler etc.

user posted image

Those three characters you mentioned are indeed in off shoots of the X-Men (groups like X-Factor), but other than Multiple Man they were only slightly based off of those characters and shouldn' be considered true representations, plus they aren't important anyway. There's no way I'd deem Jean's return useless, this is what the trilogy had been building to. Storm's new look is just that.. a new look. Who knows what's going to happen to Mystique, I doubt we'll ever find out, nothing similar happened to her in the comics either so I don't know where or even if they'll take the character anywhere.

@Dome: Although I did enjoy it, I kinda feel the same way.

Oh and news reports say that X3 had the second biggest box office grose of all time for it's first day, topped only by Revenge of the Sith.

Edited by Goodfella.

GTA3Freak-2001

Didn't Mystique tip off the authorities as to Magneto's hiding place? So even if the mutant cure wears off(as shown at the end with the chess peices) then she has betrayed Magneto meaning if she did regain her powers she wouldnt be on his side possibly.

Blackah the Hackah

I just thought about something. In X2 when Jean has the "Phoenix Effect" her eyes turn red and she gets very powerful, etc.

But in X3 when she has the "Phoenix Effect" she looks like some kind of freakin' alien. The scene where the house started to levitate was freaky as hell. She had f*cking veins showing all throughout her face and both of her eyes were entirely black. It was badass though. Just wierd.

I really liked the bonus ending. Even though I would like to see Gambit, I hope there will not be an X4. They kinda left it open, (But not WIDE open) but it was cool how it ended. They should just let it be.

asimov

Where the hell did Jean come from? Scott shoots the water, and then she just spawns infront of him.

well she has the pheonix effect in the other 2 right? read up on what a pheonix is and what its abilities are, that'll clear it up a bit

Ben

Something I noticed in the film:

Near the end, when Wolverine is standing on the balcony of the mansion and the camera zooms out taking a shot the entire side of the mansion before panning upwards, there's a tree on the right of screen, and the leaves don't appear attached to anything (like they're floating).

Could this be alluding to the fact that Jean/Phoenix may still be alive?

Or perhaps it was just my imagination. Anyone else notice this?

I also went searching a bit on the Net and found this could be a possibility:

Because Jean/Phoenix is killed several times in the comics, and yet still comes back.

Just something to consider for those who've seen it wink.gif.

ATK

Didn't Mystique tip off the authorities as to Magneto's hiding place? So even if the mutant cure wears off(as shown at the end with the chess peices) then she has betrayed Magneto meaning if she did regain her powers she wouldnt be on his side possibly.

Well not exactly because as shown my magnetos attitude, he only cares for fellow mutants, so if Mystique did get here powers back I bet Eric would convice here to be on his side again.

Anyway this was a great movie, but not as spectacular as it can be. It was very short, and like I think Goodfella. said, there was no 1vs1 fight like the previous ones. They did a good job of making the phionix look sick, but it wasent what I was exactly expecting. And I think storm was kind of crapy in this movie. In the paper for the past days, Halle was talkjing about how she wanted more role in the movie to bring out the true comic book storm, but It didnt really change anything imo, just put here in almost every scene.

Oh and regarding the extra scene, I waited through the credits to see it, only to have my moronic cinema people bring down the curtain just before it played... WANKERS. I've been told what happens though, don't really know what to think of it to be honest. But someone I know (who is pretty credible) spoke to one of the writers at a preview screening, and he said that that whole scene would be entirely if an X4 is gonna be made, so Patrick Stewart can return, how you ask? well that comatose body is apparently Xavier's twin. Bad idea, we've had one return after death with Jean, and if anyone else should come back it should be Cyclops god dammit.

Well im not really understanding where Xaviers twin came from. I thought it was the Juggernaut at first but then saw that the face of the man in the stretcher thing was like burt or bleeding, and thats not what happened to the Juggernaut. dontgetit.gif Hope fully they do make and X4 cause the obviously left alot open, and I hate when stuff like this leaves me in suspense. Meh

But I cant wait for the DVD. On TV they apparently said that they shot 3 different endings, which would be pretty cool to see.

Edited by ATK