4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
timmyvermisely5305913

.3ds to .dff

timmyvermisely5305913

my zmod refuses to export to a .dff so i would like someone to do it. i have even tried reinstalling and redownloading zmod. I would like it for VC. you can download it here along with leocad which is the program i used to make my boat. if you want only the .3ds just request it but i would like a responce first. thank you

92F

How do you mean it refuses? You need to supply us with more information, therefore we could give you more solutions.

Heres the only solution I can give you without knowing more.

When you export the file to you name it for example "car.dff"?

You have to add the .dff at the end of any name given to the file.

xmen

you can use 3ds max software its easy to export dff

solo

You could also use GMax and Kams script wink.gif

timmyvermisely5305913

well i exported it for sa sucessefully but it crashed when i tried to spwan it. also if all textures are already applied what do i use as a txd for the boat? still won't export for vc you can view error messagehere . also you can download the boat as both a 3ds file and a dff file here . thanks please make this boat for vc. thanks

offtopic: why was gtsofrums down for the past few days?

92F

So zmod doesnt refuse to export to a .dff?

If the game crashes when you spawn the vehicle, its most likely a problem with yer hierarchy

timmyvermisely5305913

zmod 2 doesnt refuse to export to dff for sa. zmod1 refuses to export a dff for vc and gta3. also wth is a hierarchy? (yes yes i am a huge n00b at modeling suicidal.gif )

92F

Of you dont know what a hierarchy is then I suggest looking for a couple of tutorials explaining what they do and how to "build" them.

timmyvermisely5305913

cant u just put this one model into vc? i dont plan on becoming a pro at this

AK-73

cant u just put this one model into vc? i dont plan on becoming a pro at this

It's not as easy as you think. First of all, the error you got was because you did enter <somename> instead of <somename>.dff when exporting from zmodeler. Secondly, your model has a too high polycount, I think. I've run into problems with models that have a high polycount. 3rdly, consider the backface cull. Not every face of your model that is supposed to be visible from both sides will actually be so in game. You will need to overwork the model to have those faces cloned and normals flipped. Also you will need to attach all the pieces into one part first. Then you will also need this ped_frontseat (or whatever it's called) dummy in the right position. It tells the game engine where the player is going to stand while steering the boat. Which brings up the next problem: the player ain't going to sit right in the seats unless you change the according animations. He's going to stand and chances are that it will look not right.

So all-in-all, if you want the boat to work the way you probably would like to would require quite some work. It could be done but it sounds like it would probably not worth that much effort for you. I think the biggest problem would be in reducing polycount to vice-like levels without losing too much quality and in adapting animations. The latter alone would require plenty of work and would assume a suitable player model.

Alex

timmyvermisely5305913

well he sits in the squallo so that wouldnt be a problum.....and did anyone actually look at the model in zmod?

92F

It looks pretty cool, i didnae kin it was a lego boat, but with a poly count of 35.5k its pretty steep!

Plus something is seriously f*cked up with the parts. parts were re-orientated the other way from other bits, so you could see the outside and the inside of parts.

Plus i had no proplem exporting it as a .dff for VC.

edit: Heres what one of the bits that makes up the boat loks like:

user posted image

---

And after detaching and re-orientering faces etc, this is what it should look like:

user posted image

---

Now to do that with every piece/brick of the boat is gonna take a hella long time...

timmyvermisely5305913

yeah i tried doing what you said as far as exporting and it worked.....(yay!)

also polys are the triangle shaped things that are outlined in zmod, right? if so how can ireduce the poly count? the boat is done the way it is all i want to do is add a machine gun to the back seat not the passangers seat the back seat the one that faces backwards. and if i do that the boat is done except for whatpther crap i have to do to fix this see through problum. i thought that was kinda odd when i saw it myself. so how exactly do i fix that?

ohh and by the way cookies for helping me this much cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

92F

Yes a poly is a triangle. To reduce the poly count, funnily enough you need to reduce the amount of pollies you use to make a mesh.

Areas you could reduce are the cylinders on the bricks. Instead of using 16 pollies to make the cylinder you could use 8 and so on. As I havent looked through yer whole mesh i cant comment on anything else.

To fix that problem, you need to go to modify>reorientate. But to do it properly you'll have to do alot of detaching in areas, so that you can reorientate seperate surfaces etc.

AK-73

Yes a poly is a triangle. To reduce the poly count, funnily enough you need to reduce the amount of pollies you use to make a mesh.

Areas you could reduce are the cylinders on the bricks. Instead of using 16 pollies to make the cylinder you could use 8 and so on. As I havent looked through yer whole mesh i cant comment on anything else.

To fix that problem, you need to go to modify>reorientate. But to do it properly you'll have to do alot of detaching in areas, so that you can reorientate seperate surfaces etc.

That's one of the reasons I like gmax: it has an optimize modifier you can use to reduce polycount to some degree. Very handy in creating LOS models also.

Otherwise I recommend googling for some polycount reduction tool.

Alex

timmyvermisely5305913

so does anyone know of a good poly reduction tool? i really couldnt find any good ones, only ones in foreign languages.

92F

Have never needed to use a poly reduction tool before, therefore I dinny kin where to get one.

If all else fails, you might have to take the lengthy road of trying to re-model any part that could be reduced in poly count. Mostly the cylinders.

timmyvermisely5305913

could you upload a video of how i would go about doing this? preferably a downloadable one. also i didnt model any of this I just placed the pieces in place (say that ten times fast colgate.gif ).

EDIT: what is a heirachy anyways and how do i make one?

92F

I dont know where to start for making and uploading a video tut. It isnt that difficult to replace all of the cylinders in the model. Just use the cylinder tool, and when it asks for horizontal steps, put in 8 instead of 16 and vertical steps to 0.

Im not too sure how to explain a hierarchy best. Uhm, its used for all the moving/destructible/operational parts of the vehicle. So you'll have doors, boonnet, boot etc aswell as having light, wheel, ped seats and door dummies.

If this is for VC, take a boat from VC and use its hierarchy. All you'll have to do it move all the dummies etc around to co-incide with your parts of the boat. If its for SA the same applies, but just take a boat from SA.

What are you modelling in Zmod 1.07 or 2?

timmyvermisely5305913

i am using zmod 1.07. also do i need to rename all of the "parts" of my boat in zmod. you know how there is that window with peice 1 piece 2 etc. do i need to rename all of those to anything in particular? also i think if i merged some of the parts it would lower poly count. remeber i am using leocad to actually contruct the boat then port it into zmod.

92F

Well because the boat doesnt have any damage parts or moveable parts like doors etc, you wont need rename them into many parts.

Merging wont have any effect on poly count. You need to delete pollies to reduce the poly count.

I'll have a shot at lowering the count best I can for you. Give me a few hours and ill edit this post, so you can download the new 3ds.

Edit: Its near impossible to lower the polly count when the "bricks" arent orientated the correct way. If you could fix that, then I could proceed to lower the poly count for ya.

Edited by 92F

timmyvermisely5305913

ummm.....i don't even know how to do that like i said i am huge n00b. thats what i wanted the video for.

92F

Ah crap.

Well the only thing I can say, is to go to the tutorial thread and post in the request thread asking for a video tut.

timmyvermisely5305913

how do i get a different boats hierachry and how do i import it into my boat. also what do i use to make a .col file?

92F

You need to open up an original VC/SA boat in Zmod or any othe modeling program, delete all the body parts(but take note of their names) but no dummies etc. Once thats done import your model and just move around dummies etc to align with the appropriate parts of your model.

Kamazy

You can find most you your answers in the tutorial page.

///// off topic

92F how do i make my sig do that? dontgetit.gif

Edited by Kamazy

timmyvermisely5305913

i noticed something with the other boats already in vc.....the whole boat is one solid chunk. do i have to have my boat set up that way? if so what do i use to fuse all of the "pieces" togeather? also do i have to have a high and low resolution model?

92F

In Zmod, you need to select every part of the model, Make sure the sel is applied, then go to create>objects>uniteselect, then click in one of the views and it will ask for a new name for the new "whole" part.

The high and low resolution model, it to do with seeing the model from a distance. Usually called NAME_vlo, which is a vastly lower poly model, purley for a basic shape to see at distance.

timmyvermisely5305913

but is a low resolution model required? also how many polys should i try and get it down to? also i just installed gmax 1.2 and was wondering how i export to eithier a .dff or a .3ds. is it kams script or is that for something else?

Edited by timmyvermisely5305913

timmyvermisely5305913

ahh crap sorry about the double post. anyhow i got gmax and kams script to work but gmax won't let me export because it says i have one or more hierarchys selected. one problum THERE ARE NO HIERARCHYS ON THE FRIGGEN' BOAT! WTF! please tell me how to fix this.