4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

stealth kills with a knife

quartet1977

quartet1977

sometimes when I'm crouched and sneak up behind someone, hitting the left mouse button makes CJ grab them and cut their throats. other times, doing the same thing, he just starts stabbing. Any tips on how to do a stealth kill each time? And are there other melee weapons you can do stealth kills with?

I'm not sure about any other weapons, but I also find the stealth kill technique to be a bit unreliable sometimes, but it usually helps if you hold the target button (you will notice CJ raise the knife a bit) then press and hold attack will make it work most of the time, but this can be a bit more difficult if you're trying to move at the same time. This can be a real pain in the "Madd Dogg's Rhymes" mission because of those guys walking backwards while firing at you if you accidentally stab them in the back instead of cutting their throats.

quartet1977

Thanks, gillies, that's what I thought from trying it over and over again. I appreciate you confirming. The first time I did it successfully - during Dam and Blast - I didn't even know it was possible. It was so cool that I kept trying to kill peds that way and it only worked every fifth or sixth time. Even when locked on, it was iffy. Oh well, the game's brutal enough already, right?

Thanks, gillies, that's what I thought from trying it over and over again. I appreciate you confirming. The first time I did it successfully - during Dam and Blast - I didn't even know it was possible. It was so cool that I kept trying to kill peds that way and it only worked every fifth or sixth time. Even when locked on, it was iffy. Oh well, the game's brutal enough already, right?

Heh heh, yeah it is. I think that except for the start of "Madd Dogg's Rhymes" it's possible to get away with never using it again (if you can land in the marker on the pier at the start of "Dam And Blast" you get to keep your weapons) which is kind of a good thing due to it not working most of the time. The dialog box you get about being able to use it in the future for evading police and enemy gang members is a bit of a waste because it really isn't very useful for those things.

quartet1977

Heh heh, yeah it is. I think that except for the start of "Madd Dogg's Rhymes" it's possible to get away with never using it again (if you can land in the marker on the pier at the start of "Dam And Blast" you get to keep your weapons) which is kind of a good thing due to it not working most of the time. The dialog box you get about being able to use it in the future for evading police and enemy gang members is a bit of a waste because it really isn't very useful for those things.

i'm playing through (again!) and this time took the Blast part of D&B quite literally. Landed in the marker, tried the knife trick, didn't work, so I went blasting through with a combat shotgun. Part of me wishes that doing that would set a lot more guards on you, since otherwise it defeats the purpose of doing it stealthily if you can do it just as easily - and faster - by just charging in with guns drawn.

At least on the ps2, if CJ's hand is raised, and you push the button at that moment, he will do the stealth kill, even if the character is 4 or 5 feet away. It's not necessary to be crouched either.

I did this a bunch of times at the beginning of one of my playthroughs to build up a lot of money early. It was certainly a lot easier to kill the drug dealers with the stealth kill than fighting them straight up before I got some good weapons.

The only time I had trouble doing it is if I waited too long to press the button, or the character turned around right before it did it.

quartet1977
At least on the ps2, if CJ's hand is raised, and you push the button at that moment, he will do the stealth kill, even if the character is 4 or 5 feet away. It's not necessary to be crouched either.

I did this a bunch of times at the beginning of one of my playthroughs to build up a lot of money early. It was certainly a lot easier to kill the drug dealers with the stealth kill than fighting them straight up before I got some good weapons.

The only time I had trouble doing it is if I waited too long to press the button, or the character turned around right before it did it.

hey, i just tried it like that and it worked! he didn't raise his hand every time i right clicked my mouse, but whenever he did, sure enough, throat slashed. still, i wish it was a bit more consistent. maybe better that it's not; it is so vicious