3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Building a computer

Barbaneez

Dude, its quite difficult to make mistakes, just be careful and be logical.

Dont obviously throw water on it tounge.gif

Anyway it wont be too expensive, to keep costs down buy a CRT.

If you google "How to build a computer" there are many guides you can look through, but the main thing is learn how to do it your own way, withut messing things up smile.gif

Good Luck.

Just make sure to have a second computer that works to have internet access incase you make any type of mistake and need guidance. The hardest thing to do is most likely waiting for your parts to arrive and applying the thermal paste, everything else is just plug in and done.

As of now I am building a pc for my friend for around the same price, but his uses really good graphics and components all bought at discounted prices. First think which brands you want: (Intel or AMD for cpus and nvidia or ATi for graphics) then think of what harddrive you want, how much ram you want, what kind of dvd/cd drives do you want, case, keyboard mouse etc.,

Edited by Sixdust

As your choice of mobo will effect what you can use, I suggest you pick your CPU and Video card pre-hand.

Yeah, but it is mostly plugging and screwing.

Ok, heres my 2cents.

For an AMD MoBo, make sure you get a Socket 939 Board. Socket 939 is the Socket all 64Bit AMD CPU's use, now, using 939, make sure you get a 64-Bit CPU. They are pretty much anything 3000+ and higher, if you have no idea, ask local PC store guy.

For Nvidia, No cards are made directly by Nvidia or ATi. They make the Boards, and Manufacturers (SP?), put all the little Do-Dads on the card, to make it what you want. I dont know about the US, but in Aus, we have Gigabyte, GECUBE, XFX etc etc. BFG is abreviated version of BFG techonolgies, (another of these Manufacturers).

AMFsigscaled10.png

A Socket 939 Motherboard is a good idea, because it's pretty much the best for AMD CPU's, not sure if the Socket M2's are out yet or not, i've been hiding under a rock. Also like already said, BFG is just the Manufacturer of the Nvidia chip. (correct me if wrong someone) Nvidia designs the Chip, and they kinda throw it on a board and put a fan on it, and it's called a reference card, then the manufacturer's refer to it and make it better. Then you buy it and whatnot.

As for the Thermalpaste, what it is is a paste that you put on your CPU Heatsink and you apply it and then put your Heatsink/fan on your CPU and it helps it run cooler, it would probably Fry your CPU without it. Alot of people say that Arctic Silver is the best Thermalpaste. And for your RAM you are going to need to know what your motherboard that you purchase can support. As in the pin number, which most-likely will be 184-pin because its common, and a few other things to look for.

This is awesome AMD, 64bit, s939 CPU. I've built four machines with it, and it rocks all the time!

Or, for $9 more, you can get same processor, just factory clocked a little faster: AMD 64 3200+

btw, the 3000+ comes with generic thermal paste already applied. You can use it as is, but I recommend getting some real paste and replacing that generic with it.

As for building, don't be afraid. Also, when screwing motherboard to case, USE THE RISERS, or w/e they are called - so that you screw risers into holes on case, then put motherboard atop so that mobo's holes face the riser's heads. Point is, motherboard should not lay driectly on case, cause you're gonna fry the motherboard if you screw it directly to case.

As for which hard drive, buy SATA, not ATA. SATA is faster, but a bit trickier to set-up: during the install, win xp won't see the hard drive, you'll need to fetch computer a floppy disk with SATA drivers during the very beginning of windows set-up. This will be written in motherboard's manual, and SATA drivers floppy disk should come with motherboard as well.

EDIT: Also smile.gif Network adapter is most likely built into motherboard, but windows xp might not "see" it until you install motherboard drivers - they should be provided with motherboard on a CD. If they aren't, you can always download them (provided you have nVidia motherboard "core", like "nVidia nForce 4 AMD").

edit2: Motherboard. Go here, and select from dropdown menus:

CPU Socket Type: Socket 939

Number of DDR Slots: 4x184pin DDR

DDR Standard: DDR400

Form Factor: ATX (This is size of motherboard (standard). You must buy case that supports ATX-sized motherboards)

PCI Express x16: Now, this is important one. I assume/recommend you're buying PCI-E[xpress] videocard, so here's choice: PCI-E slot, or two. I doubt you'll have enough money for two video cards (and that aint nessesary, single 7800 eats up ANYTHING), so select "1" in this menu.

Don't worry about the rest of pull-down menus. Click "search", arrange by "reviews" and select accoring to your budget. Only choose motherboard with 4 or 5 egg rating. Here's link with everything done about motherboard.

RAM: Since you want 2 GB, make it 2x 1gb sticks and set as "dual channel" for even more speed (read about it in mobo's manual later). RAM should be: DDR400 (also called PC3200), 184 pin. Here's completed link on memory. You might want to buy a 2 GB pack of RAM. (I am a fan of Corsair & Corsair Value memory rocks)

P.S. Checklist:

1) case: ATX

2) video card: PCI-Express

3) for monitor&video card: make sure if your monitor is 15-pin VGA, your video card has 15-pin VGA output, or if monitor has DVI input, make sure video has DVI output smile.gif

4) never ever overclock anything! you're not a professional, and can fry your PC real easy. If your PC is too slow after some time of using, probably it got clogged up with crapware, and most effective method is reinstall windows.

P.P.S. Someone tell him about power supply - he'll need decent power supply cuz his video card's a monster. I'm not good at power supplies, read reviews, or something. Usually power supply that comes with case is cheap and bad. What I do is buy case without power supply and then buy a good power supply to put in smile.gif

Edited by MegaVovaN

grossly over your budget, but thats what i'd buy.

You can make it cheaper by getting value ram (ddr400 with like 3-3-3-8 timings), slower cpu (3200+), removing the heatsink/fan (and using the stock one), and getting a slightly less powerful psu (which is kinda worthless since you'd save like.. $10 on the psu).

You can also get a cheaper mobo since DFI is entusiast only and gives nothing but trouble to everyone else wink.gif

if you do all that, you get something like this which is still over your budget

Edited by Majestic
user posted image

1. Processor: the 3200+ is your choice, period. Do not worry about GhZ's at all. AMD is way different from Intel, and AMD's line of CPUs is by model number, not GHz. Like, AMD 2500+, AMD 2800+, AMD 64 3000+, AMD 64 3200+, AMD 64 3800+, etc. And by the way, no Intel CPU beats AMD 3200+ at the moment.

You don't need to buy thermal paste, because the 3200+ has it, just like 3000+. Another clue that 3200+ has paste applied already (actually it's applied to the bottom of heatsink, not CPU itself) is that it has heatsink&fan (its called RETAIL package when they sell CPU+heatsink+fan), which are useless without thermopaste. Since case you're gonna buy has lots of room (good air flow), and you're NOT going to overclock, youre fine with stock thermopaste. btw, if you never saw CPU, it's a little square with a ton of pins - be careful not to bend them. CPU picture. There won't be that colored logo, and on the back there are lots and lots of CPU pins, they look golden. CPU socket on motherboard is fool-proof, there's only ONE correct position in which CPU will slide in EASILY.

2. "Risers" are called "Spacers". They're little yellow thingies, I circled them in red. Here are pictures:

Spacers in bag

Single spacer

A screwed-in spacer

3. Floppy drive. Yes, buy it, or just take it out of some other PC (temporarily) it's only like 10 bucks anyway. Really sucks when you have no floppy and need to read/write floppy disk. And useful for SATA drivers too.

4. Don't get PCI network card, the built-in network chip on motherboard should work just fine once you install mobo drivers.

5. nVidia makes not only video card cores, but also motherboard cores. No, they're not special, or optimized to work with nVidia video cards; Motherboards based on nVidia cores are currently the only motherboards that support AMD 64 and PCI-Express. You don't have to buy motherboard Majestik listed (the DFI one). You can use the motherboard selection link in my prevoius post. Select a few, read user comments, or better off, a review comparing those motherboards (try to google it).

6. RAM: The "timings" is a couple response speeds, if I can say that. This is entuasist's stuff. Basically when people say "better/faster timings" it means that RAM is faster. Although it IS faster, it's not generally noticeable other than in benchmarks and the total bill lol.gif . Corsair is very good combination of speed, price, and stability. G.Skill is an enthuasist's brand, but I can't vouch how good is it in long term.

7. Nvidia 256mb 7800GT. Make sure it's PCI-Express, and not AGP slot! Although I have 6800GT (bought it when it came out summer 2005 I think), I am quite sure 7800GT is awesome card. Go for it.

Video capturing - probably not. This is a feature most BRILLIANT gaming video cards lack, but don't worry: it's not worth giving up first-class gaming video card for a mediocre card that has video capture capability. If you need video capture, buy separate device for that (I'm not good at video capturing).

I also seen that you had (in the first wishlist) a Silverstone cooling fan and a Thermalright heatsink, whereas in the second wishlist, you removed both of those. Is that what you meant by using the stock heatsink/fan?

Yes.

9. You need to either find a case without power supply and buy a good power supply (also called PSU = Power Supply Unit) OR buy a case with beefy PSU.

10. Power connector on your motherboard will be most likely 24 pin, so buy PSU or case with PSU that has 24-pin power connector! Picture: 24-pin power connector going from PSU

Be sure to post your final choice of parts here, so we can say the assuring "yes".

P.S. That tall black case is good in functionality, but I don't like it's looks, guess it's just me smile.gif There's a million cases on 'egg, click here to choose (and use that filter - dropdown menus on top of page!): cases on 'egg.

Whoa, thank you guys for the detailed posts!

I noticed that you both mentioned the same processor (the AMD Athlon 64 3200+). The product name says it is a 1GHz, but it says that the 'Operating Frequency' is 2GHz - I know this is trailing off: but could someone explain that to me?

Also, will I need to buy thermal paste for this processor as well (MegaVovaN mentioned the 3000+ came with it pre-applied, so I take it that the 3200+ doesn't come with it applied)? And how easy is applying thermal paste?

In response to MegaVovaN's answer to clock speeds - hes wrong on that one tounge.gif

Do look at clock speed, since the numbers are decieveing. an Athlon X2 3800+ runs at 2.0 and has 2 cores. An Athlon 64 3800+ runs at 2.4 and has 1 core. So 3800+ is faster then 3800+, makes sense? tounge.gif

The 3200 that me and MegaVovaN recommended is a Venice core. San Diego is a bit more expensive at the moment and IMO not quite worth it. For same core, you have several clock speeds. Usually, all the processors from same core have same specs apart from clock speed and socket - i.e. same cache, socket, everything.

So venice and san diego come in following flavours:

Venice = 512kb cache

3000+ venice = 1.8

3200+ venice = 2.0

3500+ venice = 2.2

3800+ venice = 2.4

San Diego = 1mb cache

3700+ san diego = 2.2

4000+ san diego = 2.4

FX-55 = 2.6 and is a san diego

FX-57 = 2.8 and is also a san diego

1GHZ in the name is the bus speed. All socket 939 chips have 1ghz and socket 794 has 800mhz. AMD tries hard to market it as one of the feature that makes socket 939 faster. In real life, its total bull and the difference bus speed makes is VERY small on Athon 64 platform.

In other words, ignore that number. 3200+ is at 2.0ghz. What you SHOULD look at is the core name.

For single core it goes like this:

San diego > Venice > Winchester > Newcastle > Clawhammer

So the only 2 things you need to know is core and clock speed.

For thermal paste - buy it. The stock heatsink has a "thermal pad", but it is one-time-use. Thermal paste is a piece of cake to apply. Squish a small drop on the chip, put the heatsink, twist it a bit, secure the clips. done.

Cleaning old thermal paste is a bit harder. I bought "goof-off" from local hardware store, and it works like a charm.

this is the thermal paste you want

@MegaVovaN: do you have any pictures about the 'risers' you were talking about, so that I could avoid frying my motherboard? I'm not sure what you're talking about there, but maybe if you happen to have a picture, I could get a handle on what you're saying.

"risers" are actually "hex male-female threaded standoffs, 6-32 male thread, 4-40 female thread" ph34r.gif

your case will have a bag of screws. use'em. you cant actually fit a motherboard without standoffs.

I also take it that I am going to need to buy a floppy drive so that I can have it for boot disk and driver purposes?

Unless the motherboard you choose is garbage, you dont need a floppy driver. mobo bios = flash from windows.

Well... the only thing you'd need it for is to flash video card bios.

You dont need to have a floppy drive permanently attached to your pc. having one lying around is useful tho, sometimes.

As far as the network adapter goes, do you guys think I should just get a PCI card instead? This is also the first time I'll have ever setup/used a network in my home - so I'm still kind of confused on that issue. I just want whatever will be most convienient and in the end run, as error-free as possible.

Your motherboard has the following built in:

network = usually excellent, like, 1gbit.

sound = usually garbage, but fine for most people, apparently.

usb = a buttload of those.

firewire = can be built it.

Could someone also explain this 'Nvidia motherboard' thing to me? Majestik listed one in one of the wishlists he posted, and MegaVovaN also mentioned an Nvidia motherboard. I know this is all off-topic kind of, but why does Nvidia have its own motherboards? I guess that's what I'm most confused about. Are they special motherboards that work better when you have an Nvidia video card or something?

Intel makes best chipsets for Intel cpus. Nvidia makes best chipsets for AMD cpus. Enough said. They arent special, just best - whether you use nvidia xxx, ati yyy or a matrox mystique wink.gif

I have heard of the Corsair brand many times before in this forum, many people seem to be particular fans of particular RAM namebrands. Does the brand matter when it comes to RAM? Will I save myself future problems by buying from a namebrand like Corsair, as opposed to G.Skill as Majestik posted?

RAM namebrands dont make the ram. They buy the chips and boards separately, assemble them together, and slap the heatsink on. So for Corsair Ram all Corsair made is the heatsink, and then maybe not even. So I think it is fair to say that memory brands dont mean sh*t other then, maybe, warranty.

I did not choose G.Skill. I choose that particular model, which just happened to be G.Skill.

Is there anyone here that can vouch for the Nvidia 256mb 7800GT? From what I've read, it's pretty much the best video card made by Nvidia that is currently on the market. Will I also be able to use it for things like video capturing?

7800gt is the fastest card within sensible price limits. It can do video capture, but not made specifically for it. I never used video capture on mine tounge.gif

@Majestik: what do you mean by "3-3-3-8 timings", or is that something that's way beyond my grasp of knowledge at this point?

3-3-3-8 is the slowest for normal DDR, or 3-4-4-8 sometimes

2-2-2-5 is the fastest for normal DDR, with some mad men achieving 1.5-2-2-5

timings depend on the memory speed. basically, a memory module that can run 2-2-2-5 @ 200mhz (or DDR400 or PC3200) sometimes can run 3-4-4-8 @ 300mhz (or DDR600 or PC4800).

timings DO make a difference. you DO notice it. but it is NOT worth to pay extra for it if the money difference can be spent on something else that gives more performance.

low timings is basically a low priority. slow timings on the other hand can save you $$$ without noticeable speed drop (i.e. buying value ram)

You do notice a difference between timings confused.gif

I also seen that you had (in the first wishlist) a Silverstone cooling fan and a Thermalright heatsink, whereas in the second wishlist, you removed both of those. Is that what you meant by using the stock heatsink/fan?

yarrr. the stock heatsink is actually rather good. whisper quiet biggrin.gif

As for the case, Its a quite mainstream case. I can say that it is built like a tank.

IMO never buy a case that uses anything thinner then 1.0mm steel ph34r.gif

user posted image

About BFG, it's just one of Nvidia's resellers. They just get them and set the clock speeds to whatever they want and price it at how much they want. Same with every other one.

BTW, i'd go for sk939, but M2 is coming out soon. Maybe look at a AMD Althon 64 X2 3800+ or above, since they are dual core and are a big improvement over the single core. Also, get a SLI motherboard. It's only like an extra 10 or so bucks over a normal one, and when you want that extra boost of speed, SLI is the way to go.

1. If its a $50 to spend on a cpu, I'd get the cheapest San Diego.

2. No, networking means you can plug your ethernet cable in it. 802.11G is wireless. Check the specs if it has wireless built in.

3. You could run it all with a 450W psu no problem, maybe even a 400W. I just listed the antec because its cheap for the stuff you get and has no useless junk in it.

4. Every time you remove the heatsink

5. No, G.Skill is a brand. That specific kit is F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ and just happens to be good. I looked at the specs and concluded that it should be good tounge.gif

I would choose the G.Skill kit because it has better specs. The Corsair kit you linked to is utter garbage, imo. However, this Good Corsair kit is not garbage and costs same.

Why? because:

Garbage Corsair = 2-3-3-6 @ 200mhz (because it is PC3200), with people saying it defaults to 3-3-3-8 -> meaning it is garbage

G.Skill = 3-4-4-8 @ 250mhz (because it is PC4000), which means you can go up to 270-290

Good Corsair = 3-4-4-8 @ 250mhz, which is very similar to G.Skill and possibly even uses same memory chips.

Edit: I was right, both Good Corsair and G.Skill use Samsung UCCC mem chips smile.gif

BUT

Unless you overclock, you will not notice any difference between these two kits and any value ram kit, other then the price

Edited by Majestic
user posted image

no Intel CPU beats AMD 3200+ at the moment.

Oh?

lololololololol

No wait.

lmao.

A bit off topic here, but the 3200+ aint that great. Yes, it's probably as good or maybe better than a Intel Pentium 4 540, but apart from that, any higher Intel CPU will beat it. You saying an Intel Dual Core is that crap (They are dodgy, though tounge.gif) would be beaten by a 3200+? You need to stop being a fanboy there, boyo. Besides, a P4 640 would probably kick it's ass due to having twice the amount of L2 Cache.

Oh?

lololololololol

No wait.

lmao.

A bit off topic here, but the 3200+ aint that great. Yes, it's probably as good or maybe better than a Intel Pentium 4 540, but apart from that, any higher Intel CPU will beat it. You saying an Intel Dual Core is that crap (They are dodgy, though tounge.gif) would be beaten by a 3200+? You need to stop being a fanboy there, boyo. Besides, a P4 640 would probably kick it's ass due to having twice the amount of L2 Cache.

My bad, I'm a fanboyo!

I heard somewhere...Intel>>>work

AMD>>>>gaming

but 'kay lets not start AMD vs Intel war tounge.gif

I admit I'm a fanboy. shhh.

It's not recommended to have a soundcard since your motherboard has onboard, but if you were looking into getting one, I recommend the Soundblaster Live! if you're just going for something cheap but better than onboard. Or a Soundblaster Audigy2 if you got some left over cash to burn. Grab some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound i believe it's called. Also, Are you looking for keyboard/mice also? Everything appears to be compatible there. And if you get just a CRT, it should be 15 pin so there should be nothing to worry about there.

Edited by Forfit

Questions:

user posted imageuser posted image1. Obviously: is everything here compatible? Please verify this for me.

user posted imageuser posted image2. Any last-minute hardware recommendations?

user posted imageuser posted image3. Will I still need a 15-pin monitor?

user posted imageuser posted image4. How about fans, thermal paste, and a sound card? Will I need any of those with my current selections? (sorry if that's the stupid question asked in the thread so far.)

user posted imageuser posted image5. Am I missing any additional parts/tools I may need?

As always, thank you with my deepest regards. I can't believe I've came this far towards building a PC (hopefully I won't wreck the damn thing when the parts arrive).

Edit: sorry if the wishlist link isn't working. I'm still waiting for it to go public.

Edit: wishlist is now public.

1. Everything is compatible
  2. You could save $50 by buying cheaper memory. I like the G.Skill, but I cannot recommend it to someone who will not overclock. You can also get teh floppy in black.
  3. Most 7800GT's come with 2xDVI and 2xDVI-to-VGA adaptors. VGA is 15-pin
  4. Dont buy them if you dont need them. The case comes with a 120mm, and the only space remaining is for 80mm, and 80mm fans are bleh >_<. Thermal paste, buy this. Audio card - wait first. Try the onboard sound, if you like it - good, if you dont - buy an audigy or x-fi or something.

For sound card... better speakers/headphones help more then better sound cards. If you have headphones, then a headphone amp is the way to go. But they cost too much unless you solder it yourself ph34r.gif

Edited by Majestic
user posted image

Yo don't need a Sound card since your motherboard has onboard, but if you were looking into getting one, I recommend the Soundblaster Live! if you're just going for something cheap but better than onboard. Or a Soundblaster Audigy2 if you got some left over cash to burn. Grab some Arctic Silver5 i believe it's called. Are you looking for keyboard/mice also?

Thanks! Well, as long as the onboard sound card isn't too bad (anyone know how good it is?) I don't see any reason in getting another one. I do like my sound effect and music, but if this has onboard, is getting a seperate sound card even worth it for just listening to music, watching videos, and maybe playing a couple of games and whatnot?

As far as the keyboard and mice - I totally forgot about those, durgh! But I think I'll be looking at getting some inexpensive (but reasonable) ones on eBay.

Sorry about that post there it's messed up, you quoted it faster than i could edit it. As for the sound again, it's Realtek ALC850, and my Motherboard has Realtek AC97 on it, i don't know how similar they are, but my AC97 didn't sound too bad really...you'll get by with music and games and everything. The only problem that i found with the onboard on my computer was cutting out every now and then on San Andreas.

Oh?

lololololololol

No wait.

lmao.

My bad, I'm a fanboyo!

I heard somewhere...Intel>>>work

AMD>>>>gaming

but 'kay lets not start AMD vs Intel war tounge.gif

I admit I'm a fanboy. shhh.

Intels are better at things like compressing videos and that kinda stuff, whereas AMD generally has better game performance. I like AMD, but I'm on a intel laptop right now. Couldn't resist the power of this laptop even though it has a Pentium *cough HOT HOT HOT cough* 4 3.6GHz.

Keep in mind, Intel still does the job when it comes to gaming, just AMD does it better. It's like the kinda slack ass old worker gets his work done, but the young fresh worker gets it done sooner, and better.

(Although, in 06 my 3.6GHz P4 660 scores around 1100 CPU points, and a Fx-57 only gets like 20-40 more points. Intels still are decent at gaming)

Edited by Cran.

as far as i'm concerned, MSI is up there. I'll even say its better then Asus. The chance of your motherboard being shoddy is quite small.

Asus is for cheese knobs. They f*ck up bioses on regular basis, and they uhh... burn easily tounge.gif

edit: MSI K8N Neo4-F has no support for SATA II and the drive you chose is SATA II. Which is actually a bummer sad.gif

Edited by Majestic
user posted image

Obviously: is everything here compatible? Please verify this for me.

I'm not sure if its backward compatible or anything, but the ram you have selected is DDR 500 (PC 4000), but the ram your motherboard takes is DDR400 (PC 3200).

Someone here might confirm that they are backward compatible? Maybe DDR400 (PC 3200) is the lowest it can take?