Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

Munich...why Spielberg why...

Jordan

Munich is not an entertaining movie. Was Schindler's List? Nope.

Munich is a movie without a purpose. Did Schindler's List have a purpose? Yes.

There, now that we have that out of the way, I can press on.

I was incredibly bored by Munich. It is, indeed, too long. Something like 160 minutes...

And here's my rant...

Ever see "Master and Commander"...that movie where Russell Crowe is the captain of a ship back in like 1400 or something...? That movie is what I would call a "well-made" movie and it was technically fine. But, it had no purpose and it wasn't entertaining...just like Munich.

I saw some people proclaiming at the tops of their mountainous review websites that "this is the most mature film Spielberg has ever made" and I thought "hmmm...mature is good right?" I had no clue what the hell that meant.

Now I do, though. Spielberg tries some cheap tricks to get people to say "wow, this was some big event back in 1972 and 1973" by showing a shadowed penis and a few boobs here and there as well as some pubic hair on a woman after she's killed. He does this to try to add a larger meaning or to add SOMETHING damnit.....I don't know what the hell to call it.

And don't get me started on the scene where Eric Bana is humping his wife while the movie intercuts with the hostages being shot near the end of the movie. I mean I guess I know what it all means but it just felt WRONG.

WHERE IS MY SPIELBERG THAT I LOVED WHEN I WAS YOUNG? WHERE IS INDIANA JONES? E.T.? JURASSIC PARK? JAWS? CLOSE ENCOUNTERS? even HOOK...I loved seeing that when I was 8. It was awesome.

What happened to this Spielberg? Lately he said he is stepping away from these movies and that they are movies for someone else to make. WTF does that mean? When you are doing something and doing it THAT WELL (NEAR PERFECTION with some of them) then why the hell stop?

Come back Spielberg...after A.I., The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can and even Minority Report (too futuristic), where have you gone?

Please come back. I am sad today, and it's Christmas.

- A guy that was once a really, really big Spielberg fan

P.S. - I have complete respect for the people that died in the Munich terrorist attacks.

Edited by Jordan

fox09
Yes, I have to agree that Speilberg's movies have been going down lately. With the exception of War of the Worlds, they have all kind've sucked.

darthYENIK
It's not spielberg. It's the writers. Hey at least we'll get a new Indy soon. Written by George Lucas, and I've heard things about jurassic Park 4 maybe being directed by Seniõr spielbergo.

pacman11
Maybe we just expect too much from him.

just another thug

I liked Catch Me If You Can.

He hasn't a had a real true classic since Jurrassic Park, imo.

Kippers

I love all his films. If it has action and some sort of gun or explosion then i'm there

Canuck

edited

Edited by Canuck

Barguast
WHERE IS MY SPIELBERG THAT I LOVED WHEN I WAS YOUNG? WHERE IS INDIANA JONES? E.T.? JURASSIC PARK? JAWS? CLOSE ENCOUNTERS? even HOOK...I loved seeing that when I was 8. It was awesome.

What happened to this Spielberg? Lately he said he is stepping away from these movies and that they are movies for someone else to make. WTF does that mean? When you are doing something and doing it THAT WELL (NEAR PERFECTION with some of them) then why the hell stop?

Come back Spielberg...after A.I., The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can and even Minority Report (too futuristic), where have you gone?

Amen to that. What worries me is that most people still regard him as a good director, probably based solely on the many decent films he made way back when. For some reason it all seemed to go downhill in the middle nineties, and now he's just a grossly overrated shadow of his formal self. Sad.

Captain Keyes

I just watched this movie today. It kept me entertained as a drama/action flick for the better part of three hours (at least 30 minutes too long), but I also didn't get how many of the scenes or film techniques Spielberg employed helped in getting the point across. Maybe I just don't understand film or art, I don't know.

darthYENIK
WHERE IS MY SPIELBERG THAT I LOVED WHEN I WAS YOUNG?  WHERE IS INDIANA JONES?  E.T.?  JURASSIC PARK?  JAWS?  CLOSE ENCOUNTERS?  even HOOK...I loved seeing that when I was 8.  It was awesome.

What happened to this Spielberg?  Lately he said he is stepping away from these movies and that they are movies for someone else to make.  WTF does that mean?  When you are doing something and doing it THAT WELL (NEAR PERFECTION with some of them) then why the hell stop?

Amen to that. What worries me is that most people still regard him as a good director, probably based solely on the many decent films he made way back when. For some reason it all seemed to go downhill in the middle nineties, and now he's just a grossly overrated shadow of his formal self. Sad.

What do you think makes him a bad director?

PimpPanda
Yes, I have to agree that Speilberg's movies have been going down lately. With the exception of War of the Worlds, they have all kind've sucked.

War of the Worlds was terrible.

Jordan

There is a bandwagon of people that don't like War of the Worlds.

Is the first hour completely breathtaking? Yes.

Is the second hour breathtaking? No.

Does this make the movie only 50% good? In no way. The action in the first hour makes up for anything that you might think was not right in the second hour.

Is the fact that the son ends up alive stupid? Well, if you read on Internet forums that it was stupid, then you've been used by Internet forums. Don't go along with everything you read online.

I read that King Kong was a long movie and that's all I thought about during the movie. Bad choice.

PimpPanda

Is the first hour completely breathtaking? Yes.

Is the second hour breathtaking? No.

Does this make the movie only 50% good? In no way. The action in the first hour makes up for anything that you might think was not right in the second hour.

Is the fact that the son ends up alive stupid? Well, if you read on Internet forums that it was stupid, then you've been used by Internet forums. Don't go along with everything you read online.

I read that King Kong was a long movie and that's all I thought about during the movie. Bad choice.

Don't worry that wasn't it.

It was really the fact that it had no story or plot. The only thing I liked was Tim Robbins' character.

There was also the fact that it was nothing like the book, but I won't hold that against it.

It was just a bad movie.

darthYENIK
War of the worlds was so-so. Not bad, but not good. I still don't see why it was spielberg's fault.

Barguast

There are also people who actually didn't like it. People like me.

The action in the first hour makes up for anything that you might think was not right in the second hour.

'Action' isn't something that I think constitutes a good film. Nor are special effects. The problem I have with films like this are that they concentrate so much on flashy visuals that the real content - story, characters, etc - takes the back seat. War of the Worlds had the benefit of a decent story thanks solely to original, but all of the schmaltzy side stories and deviations from the plot do not do it any favours.

Is the fact that the son ends up alive stupid?  Well, if you read on Internet forums that it was stupid, then you've been used by Internet forums.  Don't go along with everything you read online.

It was stupid. It was predictable. If you see anyone bravely running towards certain death in an action film, you can basically guarantee that they'll end up beating the odds and emerging as a hero.

PimpPanda

Also, about Munich, the story is barely true. He makes so many mistakes. It's based on a book that is regarded as BS. Also, there are so many issues with logic in it.

MAcSandNinEs

Syriana was the dumbest movie ever. I couldn't understand a word of it. Don't see it.-JD-

BrassKnuckles
Syriana was the dumbest movie ever. I couldn't understand a word of it. Don't see it.-JD-

Don't mean to sound like an elitist, but your intellectual...um...capacity dictates whether or not you enjoy a film like Syriana. I thought it was great. Guess I was just in the mood for a complex thriller.

Go see Syriana. And Munich.

Otter
[in regards to War of the Worlds]

The action in the first hour makes up for anything that you might think was not right in the second hour.

Well, if I'm just jumping on a bandwagon by saying that a film sucked, Weee! Here I go! On the bandwagon!

Wow, it seems everyone on the bandwagon happen to be smart individuals to don't like to be f*cked around for three hours in a movie theater.

The first hour was neat, not breathtaking, and the rest was horribly contrived, boring, and the fact that the script was written in a month was painfully obvious.

Don't pidgeon-hole opinions just because you happen to disagree with them, man. I've seen your films - forgive me for saying so; you could learn a lot from Speilberg.

MAcSandNinEs

I couldn't tell the difference between all the Arabs. Help me. -JD-

darthYENIK

Wait, what does that have to do with Munich?