Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,750 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
miffymiffmiff

Best Non-English Language Film

TOGA62

Your attempt at contradicting what I said amuses me.

Ethnocentrism may be the one thing that all cultures have in common.

Yeah, wrap your wing around that.

I believe we are all ethnocentric to varying degrees because we are born into a

culture at birth and we embrace that culture. Theirs no real getting

around that Mr Millionaire. Unless..... Hmmm... we could exterminate every race

that doesn’t embrace our...  FULL STOP! No, that simply will not do. I hope

me and the others like me don't ever piss you off that bad. because that Adolph,

would be the only perfect solution. We seen it tried repeatedly since the dawn of time

Wrong my friend. See you seem to not fully understand the concept of what I am saying. Yes everyone embraces his or her own culture in some way and I am well aware of that. That is called basic patriotism. But that is not what ethnocentrism is. It cannot be used in a positive manner like you tried to do. In fact, you attempted to relate what Hilter did with not being associated with ethnocentrism. When infact Hitler and his Nazi part are the most adhorrent examples of ethnocentrism to date. I'll use a direct quote out of the book Communication Mosaics by Julia T Wood to help explain it better for you.

Literally ethnocentrism means to put our ethnicity at the center of the universe. Ethnocentrism encourages negative judgments of things that differs from our ways.

That is what you are coming off as with your post. Yes we all tend to embrace our own cultures because our perceptions and identities have been formed by them. That’s based off the standpoint theory and is a know ideology. (look it up) But that is not all that is needed. Cultural Relativism is also required. Since I didn't explain what that is before, here it is.

Cultural Relativism is defined as:

recognizing cultures vary in how they think and behave as well as beliefs, values, etc.

So at its lowest level, at least some form of tolerance is required in a situation like this. If you are not willing to at least tolerate the idea that something outside of your own culture might be "ok" then you are being ethnocentric. No way around that. Tolerance is the lowest form of cultural relativism. The counter being respect or participation of others cultures. If you do not have that, then you are ethnocentric. That is not my opinion, that is fact. A basic love for ones culture is one thing but it must be incorporated with a tolerance or understanding of other cultures. To slander others even the way you did is childish, immature and ethnocentric. There is no way to twist that around. You're words speak for themselves. Nothing you say or do will counter act these known facts and ideas.

You try for a valid point but again take your own words into consideration.

Though I'm not for cultural relearning, I think it is perfectly ok if one country

exercises an advantage over another with ... hmm ... idk ... knowledge for example.

Without this we won't have a very bright post-industrial future to look forward to.

I think weapons we should keep superiorly to ourselves as well, for obvious reasons.

And I don't think we will be getting any free oil anytime soon.

You go on to then say

Then I would point out we are having this

discussion in a foreign films topic.

You're right; this is a topic about foreign films. Why are you talking about politics? I don't care what your stances on the industrial world, or if we should be keeping advanced weapons to ourselves. That has nothing to do with what I am discussing and accusing you of. I am talking about cultural understanding and respect. Which has everything to do with stuff like foreign entertainment. Considering foreign films come from other cultures then our own. So what I am saying is very easily related to the topic on hand. You're argument trying to clear your self of what I am accusing you of is useless. You go off on a completely different subject trying to relate it to what I am actually talking about through false definitions and facts. Your own words have only helped to belittle your own rebuttal. (hehe that rhymes.)

I don't hate you, but to me, when someone seems to not even allow a chance for consideration of something like this due to their ethnocentric beliefs it does seem arrogant, idiotic, foolish, and stuck up. You are being all those when you are ethnocentric. I can even go into detail as to why those words describe an ethnocentric person if you still don't believe me.

You are arrogant because you are unwilling to believe things outside your own culture could possible be good. You called yourself "really proud". But Look here; being arrogant is directly linked to the very words you described yourself as, proud.

Click this link to see.

What does society call someone who thinks highly of himself? (Or in this case their culture?) They are labeled as "stuck up". Which is defined in the dictionary as,

Snobbish; conceited
Which to me is exactly what you are appearing to be.

Last but not least, you are being idiotic because you are unwilling to believe anything other then your ethnocentric point of view. Being idiotic is also known as being foolish, or a fool according to its definition. (which I called you as well)

So I did not just call you all those things in an attempt to insult you. You really are all of them. The evidence shows clearly that is true. So don't try to accuse me of childish name calling because by definition and association to the topic I am arguing, you are all the things I described you as.

I hope you can see that you are pretty much dead in the water. You're own words are what have caused this, and your own words are what I am using to show you exactly how ethnocentric you truly are. Say whatever you like, but you need to realize that any argument you try and express against these facts will be useless and I will only use them again to show you how what you are saying is incorrect. You can only dig yourself deeper into the hole you yourself created. I do not hate you. But I will be honest; my respect for those who are not willing to be at least somewhat culturally understanding of others is limited. If you want to be ethnocentric, go ahead. I'm just going to continue to point out the flaws, errors, and foolish close mindedness that come with being that way.

Now, AGAIN, back to the topic.

A Very Long Engagement was also a good one. I noticed someone mentioned that before. I suggest people go check it out. it is played off as being a romance story, but there is a really good mystery type feel to it and a healthy dose of comedy as well.

user posted image

Edited by TOGA62

O Daesu

Yes, I liked Zatoichi a lot

Your attempt at contradicting what I said amuses me.

Ethnocentrism may be the one thing that all cultures have in common.

Yeah, wrap your wing around that.

I believe we are all ethnocentric to varying degrees because we are born into a

culture at birth and we embrace that culture. Theirs no real getting

around that Mr Millionaire. Unless..... Hmmm... we could exterminate every race

that doesn’t embrace our...  FULL STOP! No, that simply will not do. I hope

me and the others like me don't ever piss you off that bad. because that Adolph,

would be the only perfect solution. We seen it tried repeatedly since the dawn of time

Wrong my friend. See you seem to not fully understand the concept of what I am saying. Yes everyone embraces his or her own culture in some way and I am well aware of that. That is called basic patriotism. But that is not what ethnocentrism is. It cannot be used in a positive manner like you tried to do. In fact, you attempted to relate what Hilter did with not being associated with ethnocentrism. When infact Hitler and his Nazi part are the most adhorrent examples of ethnocentrism to date. I'll use a direct quote out of the book Communication Mosaics by Julia T Wood to help explain it better for you.

Literally ethnocentrism means to put our ethnicity at the center of the universe. Ethnocentrism encourages negative judgments of things that differs from our ways.

That is what you are coming off as with your post. Yes we all tend to embrace our own cultures because our perceptions and identities have been formed by them. That’s based off the standpoint theory and is a know ideology. (look it up) But that is not all that is needed. Cultural Relativism is also required. Since I didn't explain what that is before, here it is.

Cultural Relativism is defined as:

recognizing cultures vary in how they think and behave as well as beliefs, values, etc.

So at its lowest level, at least some form of tolerance is required in a situation like this. If you are not willing to at least tolerate the idea that something outside of your own culture might be "ok" then you are being ethnocentric. No way around that. Tolerance is the lowest form of cultural relativism. The counter being respect or participation of others cultures. If you do not have that, then you are ethnocentric. That is not my opinion, that is fact. A basic love for ones culture is one thing but it must be incorporated with a tolerance or understanding of other cultures. To slander others even the way you did is childish, immature and ethnocentric. There is no way to twist that around. You're words speak for themselves. Nothing you say or do will counter act these known facts and ideas.

You try for a valid point but again take your own words into consideration.

Though I'm not for cultural relearning, I think it is perfectly ok if one country

exercises an advantage over another with ... hmm ... idk ... knowledge for example.

Without this we won't have a very bright post-industrial future to look forward to.

I think weapons we should keep superiorly to ourselves as well, for obvious reasons.

And I don't think we will be getting any free oil anytime soon.

You go on to then say

Then I would point out we are having this

discussion in a foreign films topic.

You're right; this is a topic about foreign films. Why are you talking about politics? I don't care what your stances on the industrial world, or if we should be keeping advanced weapons to ourselves. That has nothing to do with what I am discussing and accusing you of. I am talking about cultural understanding and respect. Which has everything to do with stuff like foreign entertainment. Considering foreign films come from other cultures then our own. So what I am saying is very easily related to the topic on hand. You're argument trying to clear your self of what I am accusing you of is useless. You go off on a completely different subject trying to relate it to what I am actually talking about through false definitions and facts. Your own words have only helped to belittle your own rebuttal. (hehe that rhymes.)

I don't hate you, but to me, when someone seems to not even allow a chance for consideration of something like this due to their ethnocentric beliefs it does seem arrogant, idiotic, foolish, and stuck up. You are being all those when you are ethnocentric. I can even go into detail as to why those words describe an ethnocentric person if you still don't believe me.

You are arrogant because you are unwilling to believe things outside your own culture could possible be good. You called yourself "really proud". But Look here; being arrogant is directly linked to the very words you described yourself as, proud.

Click this link to see.

What does society call someone who thinks highly of himself? (Or in this case their culture?) They are labeled as "stuck up". Which is defined in the dictionary as,

Snobbish; conceited
Which to me is exactly what you are appearing to be.

Last but not least, you are being idiotic because you are unwilling to believe anything other then your ethnocentric point of view. Being idiotic is also known as being foolish, or a fool according to its definition. (which I called you as well)

So I did not just call you all those things in an attempt to insult you. You really are all of them. The evidence shows clearly that is true. So don't try to accuse me of childish name calling because by definition and association to the topic I am arguing, you are all the things I called you.

I hope you can see that you are pretty much dead in the water. You're own words are what have caused this, and your own words are what I am using to show you exactly how ethnocentric you truly are. Say whatever you like, but you need to realize that any argument you try and express against these facts will be useless and I will only use them again to show you how what you are saying is incorrect. You can only dig yourself deeper into the hole you yourself created. I do not hate you. But I will be honest; my respect for those who are not willing to be at least somewhat culturally understanding of others is limited. If you want to be ethnocentric, go ahead. I'm just going to continue to point out the flaws, errors, and foolish close mindedness that come with being that way.

Now, AGAIN, back to the topic.

A Very Long Engagement was also a good one. I noticed someone mentioned that before. I suggest people go check it out. it is played off as being a romance story, but there is a really good mystery type feel to it and a healthy dose of comedy as well.

Did you spend all day writing that?

Edited by O Daesu

TOGA62
nope. I went and took my communications final this morning and then returned and wrote that up in about 25 minutes. for some of us writing isn't exactly a hard thing to do.

O Daesu

Put me in my place. You sound like a fun person to be around.

hailfire

taxi 2, no question

O Daesu
taxi 2, no question

Are people saying Taxi films as some sort of ironic joke?

Haifaiv

Yeah from what I hear, they're some of the most dire pieces of sh*t ever created. And the remake (more than one?) is meant to be even worse. When I hear a poor opinion as strong as that, I don't really want to waste my time watching it forming my own opinion on it.

sofa_king

TOGA, buddy, come on................................

There are some things I said you misunderstood. Most like to do extremities,

sarcasm, and my attempt at humor always out weighing any good point I

could possible be trying to make. But I can't be bothered

with this again. Your obviously not stupid, or a dummy face.

I was just pointing out that ethnocentrism manifests itself in many other

ways other than what you initially stated and is potentially unavoidable.

And it's hard to argue with you now that I see you understand that.

The simplest way for me to put this is that we are in agreement.

TOGA62

smoke a few bowls with me and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself haha. tounge.gif

for those who liked Old Boy, the director just released a new movie called The synth.. f*ck what was it called. I will check next time I go to work. It seemed to have an interesting story to it about some guy who decides to like sell his kidney to help pay for like his wifes medication or something but it goes wrong and he is left to try and figure out what the hell happened and get back at whoever did it. Yes, sort of like the plot of old boy, but different at the same time. Seemed pretty cool, I just never got a chance to watch it when I rented it due to school. confused.gif

sofa, I understand what you are saying. For any sort of sarcasm or humor it can easily be translated incorrectly due to the lack of nonverbal communication that comes with talking online. So I apologize if I had mistaken any of those as being serious. But like how people hate racism, the same kind of goes for me and people not willing to respect others cultures. So when you posted what I believed to be very disrespectful about that matter, I couldn't help but express how I found it upsetting and offensive. Glad to see we can understand each other.

Edited by TOGA62

sofa_king

Understandable TOGA.

And I'd be lieing if I told you 90% of my posts wern't

loaded inorder to try to provoke a little rise out of people.

This time I got you, and I'm all the better for it because I

feel as if you filled an empty void in my heart. inlove.gif

user posted image

* Slams Jack *

Sofa Chants, TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!

* falls over *

Sphericon
And yes, Amélie was great, I can't believe it has the same director as Alien 3.

Alien Resurrection you mean....filmic noob

Cheshire Cat

I really enjoyed "A Very Long Engagement" and "The Motorcycle Diaries" I doubt they're the best foreign films, but for something contemporary they're great.

The first is about world war one and a girl determined to find out the fate of her court martialed fiance.

The latter is about Che Guevera's motorcycle tour through South America.

Haifaiv

Oh yeah, LOL SRY. Actually that strengthens my point seeing as Resurrection was sh*te and Alien 3 wasn't. Still... blows your f*cking mind, doesnt it? Doesn't it? Eh? Maaan. Woah.

Edit: The Motorcycle Diaries was brilliant.

Tetsuo2501

Akira (Japanese)

Zombie (Italian)

Seven Samurai (Japanese)

Battle Royale (Japanese)

ToyMachine

I don't know a lot but I really enjoyed Edi (Polish).

O Daesu

smoke a few bowls with me and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself haha. tounge.gif

for those who liked Old Boy, the director just released a new movie called The synth.. f*ck what was it called. I will check next time I go to work. It seemed to have an interesting story to it about some guy who decides to like sell his kidney to help pay for like his wifes medication or something but it goes wrong and he is left to try and figure out what the hell happened and get back at whoever did it. Yes, sort of like the plot of old boy, but different at the same time. Seemed pretty cool, I just never got a chance to watch it when I rented it due to school. confused.gif

sofa, I understand what you are saying. For any sort of sarcasm or humor it can easily be translated incorrectly due to the lack of nonverbal communication that comes with talking online. So I apologize if I had mistaken any of those as being serious. But like how people hate racism, the same kind of goes for me and people not willing to respect others cultures. So when you posted what I believed to be very disrespectful about that matter, I couldn't help but express how I found it upsetting and offensive. Glad to see we can understand each other.

The film you're on about is Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. It was the first film in Park Chan Wooks revenge trilogy (of which Oldboy is the second). The newest and final film in the trilogy is Sympathy for Mrs. Vengeance which should be out on DVD soon. I preordered it on R3 a few weeks ago.

Edited by O Daesu

Ghandi Ganjamaster

Seven Samurai (Japanese)

DOPE movie, I loved it.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is probably my favorite, with runner-up being City of God.

Donnie Ducko

I like Triumph Of The Will...but I have a penchant for Nazi Propaganda...it's very funny inlove.gif

C Bear

Seven Samurai is not only the greatest foreign film of all time, but the greatest film of all time period.

AbbaZabba

I really can't remember a lot of the "non-english" films Ive seen, because I normally only see them once. Well that is except for Kung Fu movies.

I do remember:

The Closet: A french comedy about a guy who pretends to be gay, to keep from getting fired.

Run Lola Run: You might of seen this, its a pretty cool german movie. It's about to lovers, but its also about posibilties.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: I know its a blockbuster, but I still really liked this film.

Seven Samurai: I actually haven't seen this, but I've heard so many good things. So I will have to rent it, I guess

I'm having a huge brain freaze, so thats all I can think of.

Venom

My money would be on Battle Royal...It's such a brilliant idea and well executed (no pun intended) tounge.gif

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was good, but lacked something, and Akira was brilliant but was a little too weird for me..

But what about 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' , filthy foreign smut... blink.gif

OH NO

Seven Samurai is slick.

As are Old Boy and Abre los ojos.

Lightwork

Anyone for 'The 400 Blows'?

seether

spirit of jeet kune do: once upon a time in high school. by far.

OH NO

yes please

C Bear

yes please

Word.

DarkRukario

Have anyone seen Final Fantasy VII Advent Children? It is in japanese and it really good movie. Does that one counts?

Jay

Rumble in the Bronx wink.gif

Jackie chan wooo

-maddog-

Hamilton, its kinda semi-english. Based on a swedish tv series..

Arthazzz

Battle with the shaddows (russian)