Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,104 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Newbie41

War of the Worlds

Newbie41

I personally loved the new one to death. I liked all the destruction and the graphics in it all. I also liked the idea of those huge tall tripods and how they were always on the run

Any thoughts? smile.gif

Yo' Mama
meh it was ok I guess. I got to the end of it and found myself wondering 'Is that it?'. Ending was terrible.

Smashdamit

Yes same damn ending as the original.I was hoping for a change here.

Overall it was a good watch.Some decent special effects.I found the opening scenes especially interesting.Before they really know what the heck is going on.

Made me wonder how we would respond to such a threat.I think we're toast.....

Logic3

It was pretty good, but Jeff Wayne is working on a complete CGI version, using his music, and the original artwork

So that should be pretty interesting biggrin.gif

GTA3Freak-2001
I don't understand why people hate the ending, that's how the book ended so I see nothing wrong with it. Like everyone who I've talked to say they didn't like the ending either. What Speilberg did with the modern setting was good but I am really wanting a traditional set WOW which is what Jeff Wayne's CGI one is going to be.

darthYENIK
I don't understand why people hate the ending, that's how the book ended so I see nothing wrong with it. Like everyone who I've talked to say they didn't like the ending either. What Speilberg did with the modern setting was good but I am really wanting a traditional set WOW which is what Jeff Wayne's CGI one is going to be.

I never liked the ending, even in the book. It's just anti-climatic.

I like the first half of the movie. It gets right into the action, with only a few minutes of introduction, which spielberg is able to pull off great. I also like what I like to call the rallying the audience thing he does toward the end when they take down the tripod with the grenades, and the part where the army takes them out in boston. The audience I was watching with really got sucked in, and were cheering when they defeat them, I guess that was more climatic, but still they only beat them with the help of earth's bacteria. All in all I give it a 7/10. Only because I never liked the story. Everything else is great though.

Lazlowrocks.
You loved it? It was f*cking terrible. I'd rather watch Titanic.

Jordan

The movie was spectacular. People complain too much. Just shut up and love the tripods.

gta_player5

great special effects, but I think the ending was to abrupt, but what can you do? it was the same ending as the book, written by H.G. Wells. It was ok though, story was a little sketchy, I was confused at some ponts, but I don't remember to much because I saw it in August.

E.A.B.
The movie was great. I liked it, but the ending was sh*t. I mean, I didn't get it. I tried to think "Is there a deeper meaning to this?" on my way home. I kept thinking and thinking, finally get home, ring the bell and say "Naw, it was sh*t". But, I liked the movie anyways. Gets an 8/10 from me.

GTA3Freak-2001
The movie was great. I liked it, but the ending was sh*t. I mean, I didn't get it. I tried to think "Is there a deeper meaning to this?" on my way home. I kept thinking and thinking, finally get home, ring the bell and say "Naw, it was sh*t". But, I liked the movie anyways. Gets an 8/10 from me.

What's there not to understand? It was that with all our technology and stuff it was the simplest thing that saved our planet from martians taking it over, being the bacteria. Works the other way too, the martians with their advanced technology ended up dieing due to bacteria.

E.A.B.

What's there not to understand? It was that with all our technology and stuff it was the simplest thing that saved our planet from martians taking it over, being the bacteria. Works the other way too, the martians with their advanced technology ended up dieing due to bacteria.

It still sucked bored.gif .

I was expecting a huge fight or something, but it was bacteria that defeated them whatsthat.gif. I mean, they work you up with the army, those alien things and all the effects, only to have it end like that. They work you up, and when I finished watching it, I wasn't satisfied confused.gif. I was expecting something BIG, but all I got was bacteria and birds. Still good though.

(oh, and I watched the ending but didn't hear, it was in my uncles room. I was watching from his window cause I had to leave but wanted to at least see it. Maybe the ending said something I missed)

Thanks for clearing that up for me though smile.gif.

TenaciousD.

I loved the film when i saw it, the bit when the tripod eye was in the basement went on a bit (about 20min) though I missed the end bit because i needed to piss, can someone PM me the end bit from when they all run in a tunnel or somthing, got back in just as they got to the parents house

GTA3Freak-2001

@EAB - Yeah but then that would of been a cliche' ending and that's what Spielberg didn't want.

@tenaciousd2005 - Basicially Cruise pointed out to the military that the tripods were malfunctioning and that they should attack so a whole heap of them with RPG's and Bazooka's etc. took down a tripod. It fell people gathered around the fallen tripod to see one of the martians die and that's basicially it, family gets re-united and they live happilly ever after. tounge.gif

RoAcHcliP

Loved the tripods, gave me shivers. The basement scene was far too long and boring though. It was such bull that the son got to boston after running out into the battlefield alone

imheretostay

The CGI is awesome, beats the crap out of anything I've seen so far.

The tripods are huge rips from HL2 striders / HL2 striders are huge rips from WOTW Original, but look awesome. They seem much more powerful and frightening too.

The basement scene was good but a bit longdrawn, I mean, like half the movie went on down there. I was amazed by that little girls acting skills, she was frickin great. Tom Cruise acted well in this too. I hated the ending though.

@tenancious:

Nothing big happened, they ran through a tunnel and then Cruise and a few solds ran outside and shot the tripod down with a rocket launcher, then it goes to the parents house.

Asmodeus

I thought the ending was f*cking lame, not the aliens bit but the family bit. God why can't Spielberg have the guts to NOT make a terrifying destruction film that ends itself with a family drama?

Yeesh.

Otherwise it was a cool film, really liked the tripods. They're my favourite part.

Barguast

The original War of the Worlds' ending was good, it made you think just who the dominant species on this planet is - us, the most advanced life form, or bacteria, the most basic... However, why the hell Spielberg thought it necessary to append some touchy-feely side story about Tom Cruise becoming a good daddy escapes me altogether.

Is it some kind of Hollywood prerequisite? confused.gif

fox09
The original War of the Worlds' ending was good, it made you think just who the dominant species on this planet is - us, the most advanced life form, or bacteria, the most basic... However, why the hell Spielberg thought it necessary to append some touchy-feely side story about Tom Cruise becoming a good daddy escapes me altogether.

Is it some kind of Hollywood prerequisite? confused.gif

Yes.

Every movie has a "touchy-feely" side-story to it.

Newbie41

Either that or it has some sort of sex appeal.. tounge.gif

Which is fine with me XD

TenaciousD.

When i re watched the film on DVD the basement scene seemed alot shorter.

Newbie41

I got this DVD for christmas biggrin.gif

Been watching the destruction scene over and over.. my favorite part..

Canuck
I thought the ending was f*cking lame, not the aliens bit but the family bit. God why can't Spielberg have the guts to NOT make a terrifying destruction film that ends itself with a family drama?

Because he's a child of divorce, and he won't stop reminding people of the fact.

As for the film, I enjoyed Speilbergo's cinematography, but the acting was hackneyed - especially on Cruise's part, and the story was complete tripe.

God, in his "infinite wisdom" placed the microbes on Earth for "just such an occasion" and yet lets a couple billion people die before the bacteria kicks in? Laughable. Oh, and the fact that the son ran straight into a napalm strike, and survives is also laughable, nevermind the fact that he arrives, unscathed in BNoston, less than 24 hours later. That's beyond suspension of disbelief, that's bullsh*t.

a_fool_from_edinburgh

You loved it? It was f*cking terrible. I'd rather watch Titanic.
lol i concur, total bolocks more than that in fact i can't really think of how to describe how utter pish it was. pish pish and more pish, it really got to me just how bad this movie was, a total disgrace!

iwishihadbroadband

I must admit that it wasn't that bad really, but, f*ck me senseless, was that the biggest anti climax ever seen??!

Spielberg: mmk huge action sequences for 2 hours but sh*t we don't have enough space on our film left so we have to cram in how everybody died and how the film ends in about...5 minutes!

I mean, its not Spielberg's style. He's created action masterpieces like the Indiana Jones series, which stick to the formula very well, but War of the Worlds' ending was just not good enough really.

gta_king

For the person above who has just said how awful the ending is, thats how the ending was in the book. If you listen to the Musical Version it ends in the same way aswel. Don't blame Spielberg for the ending, blame the writer of the book.

Except of course for the whole part about the kid that was spielbergs doing and the kid was a prick

Mafia Righthand_Man

I don't overanalyze movies too much but I thought it was a pretty good movie. Only problem I had were the ending was kind of dumb.