4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

[WIP]GTAF Newbie Teacher

Krusty.

First of all, I'd like to say that I know not many people like the language that Visual Basic uses and I'm sorry, but I'd also like to say this is my first program I have ever made.

Krusty's GTAF Newbie Teacher

First of all, I created this because I wanted someway to kind of clear up the pointless topics that the new member are creating. I'm not sure it'll make much difference but I really just wanted to test and see how the response to this was.

With the help from YeTi, I managed to get so far so good with this. As my first ever program, I myself am quite amazed I did it as I give up easily.

I really just want feedback. What your view on it is. As the title says, It's definatly a work in progress and will be for quite a while yet.

I have uploaded it to TecnoVM64's server and is available for you to preview it here

I really want to say a HUGE thankyou to YeTi, as I've been pestering him and pestering him for help. Thank you.

I also want to say, dont get n00b and Newb/Newbie mixed up. This is for New member. Not n00b members. tounge.gif

Also, Next doesnt work after Form 9 with the karma. This is beacuse that is as far as I have got.

Thank you.

Krust.

Edited by Krusty.
I really want to say a HUGE thankyou to YeTi, as I've been pestering him and pestering him for help. Thank you.

Too right you've been pestering me. But i might as well teach you i recieved help when i was learning it's only right i help others. Plus i know you personally tounge.gif .

Anyway the program is simple it's just different forms explaining the rules and stuff of GTAF plus a few tips from Krusty.

I can understand if you're writing an application for the learning of programming, but the use seems useless.

You might as well write some PHP and do it on a webpage. Would be much easier, not only for you, but mainly for the end-user.

Well, "Steve", I think that that program is too complimicated for even me...I mean what is it a step by step click your way through thing? Or something deeper?

P.S. Dreamweaver > Frontpage.

Criticism from someone who knows absolutely nothing about programming:

1. There's no more negative karma, it's no longer used here.

2. You forgot to include filesize restrictions on sigs and avatars.

3. For the love of god is it wordy. Try splitting each of those monstrous pages with half-essays on each into a smaller, more compact page, and just have a sh*tlaod of pages?

-TMcK-

meh - I think creating this as a downloadable program is absolutely stupid. That said, I think the idea behind it is good.

A simple HTML page would be so much more efficient, and easier to use.

There's a few spelling and grammar mistakes, but they can all be fixed up. I don't like the use of slashes (/). They're over-used in this, and unnecessarily so.

I didn't know avatars were recommended to be under 20kB, I just thought the maximum was 80kB.

Like said before, negative stars aren't used any more. They've been out of use since June 2004, so I'm really not sure why you considered them needing to be included.

I don't know a thing about programming or whatever, but if possible, you should link the advice pertaining to topics to the actual topics in question - for example "find the pinned topic named: "Sig Re-Enable Request Thread" should link to the actual topic. This would also remove the need to verbally direct the reader to the topic, as you could simply say "once you've fixed up your signature to meet all requirements, post in here to get it re-enabled".

Of course, creating the same thing in the form of a webpage would prove a lot easier for all involved. I'm not sure whether this would actually prove useful, though. I doubt the patience of a new member would hold out to read the whole thing, and the pinned topics are going to do most of the helping anyway.

P.S. Dreamweaver > Frontpage.

Notepad > *

Nah, Notepad++ > *

Crimson Editor > Mike

(It's a nice editor for several languages with syntax highlighting, I use it for HTML) tounge.gif

Edited by XcR

First of all, as mentioned several posts earlier this is far better suited for a webpage. These are the sort of programs Luke2004 made and got flamed for, because he believed they were actually useful.

What is easier for the user? To click on a link, bringing them to a webpage allowing them to read the contents of that program, or clicking the link, saving the executable, then running it. Not being able to copy or paste any text in the program, and possibly being paranoid about viruses, since it is an exe file afterall.

Of course, you made this program to learn, which is perfectly fine. But when you do things like that, it's better not to assume that your programs are going to be found extremely useful by many.

Because now I ask you: what did you actually program? It looks like it's made up of several forms and commandbuttons whose On Click events simply show or hide the other forms. There are no algorithms, there are no loops, in fact the only If statement is probably on the license agreement form.

Don't take this post badly, I never said it was a waste of time. But when you make programs simply for you yourself to learn you should try and aim slightly higher, and also keep them to yourself unless you are sure someone else apart from yourself will find them useful.

Segosa: True, I haven't really coded anything, I thought all I need for this was links between forms to step forward, backward and quit. I didn't make it for myself, I made it for brand new members. I thought It would be easier to go step by step with a program that with a web page. I understand what you mean about being scared of getting a virus, but, when I do finish it, and it's tests by the people here at GTAF, I can then get feedback saying it's virus free, completely safe to use.

My purpose of this was to actually help brand new members get a feel of the place. Know the rights and wrongs. This is the frist ever forum I came to and I was a litle lost as to how it worked. What do to. So I made this for any other members that started off like me. Looking at the feedback, do you think I should carry on with it?

Meh. Think I might scrap it. Yes, I do have a negative attitude. sad.gif

Well, I hope I didn't have too much of an effect on that decision. It was a good idea, but it wasn't really suited for a program. What you should do is buy a book on VB, or search for online tutorials.

All programmers start out making pointless little things in order to understand the basics of the language they are working in. Even me and Segosa did it. wink.gif

Realistically, this will be of no use to GTAF newbies. Clicking the first link on the main board called "Announcements" is a much easier way to find out the rules than randomly stumbling across a thread in an obscure area near the bottom of the listing which has a download for an EXE file, which will normally bring up some complicated security alert forms, and then might require them to figure out they need the Visual Basic runtime libraries installed on their PC...etc.

But yeah, as a "my first program" it's fine. If you just want to learn the capabilities of the language, there are various programmer challenges like "The Little Red Book" which set a series of tasks to accomplish using code. They start off simple (add two numbers supplied by the user) and finish up complicated (analysing Chess games). smile.gif

(EDIT) For an example of what "The Little Red Book" contains, you could check Icey's online progress through it. Or, you can just keep making little programs with limited use, gradually taking on more complicated challenges (which is what I've done).

Edited by Cerbera
All programmers start out making pointless little things in order to understand the basics of the language they are working in. Even me and Segosa did it. wink.gif

(if that was directed at me) I know, I never said I didn't make pointless programs or that it was a bad idea. But with mine, I kept most of them to myself. If I gave them to people it was for comments, not for them to actually be used.

No, Segosa, It wasn't you which made me decide. But thank you and the rest of you anyway. smile.gif .

Cerb: Thank's for your information and help, I think I will buy a book and keep on at different programs, Learning more each time, as you said. Thanks.

One thing I found helpful when learning a new language is trying to make something incredibly hard (for a beginner of course). I've found two things happen. Either you learn a sh*t-ton and actually make the program work (though not likely) or you end up simplifying it as you go along, taking out the parts of it that are just too big of a jump for you to understand.

It takes a lot of time and work, but it's the easiest way I've found to learn a language for me.

One thing I found helpful when learning a new language is trying to make something incredibly hard (for a beginner of course). I've found two things happen. Either you learn a sh*t-ton and actually make the program work (though not likely) or you end up simplifying it as you go along, taking out the parts of it that are just too big of a jump for you to understand.

It takes a lot of time and work, but it's the easiest way I've found to learn a language for me.

When people do that a lot of the time they resort to copy/pasting source code without understanding how it actually works. (not that I'm saying you did, of course..)

For a start make a calculator, that's where I started anyway..

If your language has a calc function, don't use it. I'm not talking a full blown scientific calculator or anything, just start off with something that can do the basics, + - / and * with 2 numbers, 2+2, 4*2, 3/3 etc then move on to many numbers, then brackets

Teaches variables, loops etc, the basic stuff

Course that's prolly boring, but gotta start somewhere eh

I can understand if you're writing an application for the learning of programming, but the use seems useless.

You might as well write some PHP and do it on a webpage. Would be much easier, not only for you, but mainly for the end-user.

Might as well start linux, right?

<3 svip. I'm your secret admirer.

For a start make a calculator, that's where I started anyway..

If your language has a calc function, don't use it. I'm not talking a full blown scientific calculator or anything, just start off with something that can do the basics, + - / and * with 2 numbers, 2+2, 4*2, 3/3 etc then move on to many numbers, then brackets

Teaches variables, loops etc, the basic stuff

Course that's prolly boring, but gotta start somewhere eh

Agreed. Calculators are good to learn from when learning a new language, try that out. Make a calculator that uses switches and can recognize what symbol you've typed and calculate according to that.

PS: Make something better than the pathetic Windows Calculator and you can have my babies biggrin.gif.

Saviour O' Jesus: It's not a secret no more ...