3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Picolini

[WIP|SCR] Boeing B314 "The Clipper" Sea Plane

Picolini

Hello everybody, I'm really new to this modding thing, and I have very little experience with 3D modelling, and none in this area. So give me some slack, and hopefully I'll get some where with this thing. It's a Boeing B314 Sea plane, i guess its nickname is the "The Clipper".

user posted image

I like this style of sea plane much more than the Skimmer in SA, so I'm trying to make this to replace it. Wish me luck, and heres my first in-progress picture (this is about 30-45 minutes of work).

- Pickalini monocle.gif

user posted image

Request w/ other i made in the request forums, the last post.

Edited by Snow Racer

adam schiller

talk to nikit and seanorris they want to workon one i think

JEM

Alright!!! I was just thinking the other day if someone was going to make one of these, or something close to this type of plane. Well I cant wait till release, Ill download it for sure, Good luck and keep this project going.

JEM

Picolini

Heres an update....

user posted image

user posted image

Joel Kroll

Did you make the one in the first pic or is that an example of what you're making? Either way, nice plane and great start. I would love to have this in-game.

Picolini

That is one for that Microsoft Flight Simulator game, i just stole the pic for an example, hopefully mine will look as good as theirs that they sell. Heres another update picture... not too much more done, but i'm starting to see it. It also doesn't help that it keeps freezing every so often, but i learned my lesson, save every minute! (Damn, just finisished the nose as i was uploading this image, and it f*cking froze!)

user posted image

And heres the last for today, before i hit the hay.... (and I'll go down by the bay and play with some clay, i just may). The second is just to give a more complete view of it, thats not the finished fuselage (sp?). I still gotta lot more, but i think its coming along nicely, especially for my first attempt. And is it just me, or is the shading all funked up? Would it have to do with "normals" or what ever that is i hear you people talking about?

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Snow Racer

Cran.

Looks like a good use of polies there. It'll sure be a good model, providing you dont mess up the normals wow.gif WTF is with that water in that render? notify.gif

Joel Kroll

Looking good! On the Main Toolbox go to: Surface..., Normals, and then Calculate. Then click on your parts and they should turn white. wink.gif

Supdario

wow.gif

Coool

I want it smile.gif

pinky

Looking nice, one little problem for you though, I don't think you can get more than two props running in game.

I had four on my airship but they were actually only two nodes and a little imagination to get the four running.

Unfortunately the four on the plane can't use the same trick as they are all side by side and not one in front of the other.

That was one of the reasons I was thinking about doing a Catalina, only two engines.

I think you are going to just have to leave two stationary.

Sorry to put a damper on it, keep on going though as there may still be a solution.

As for your shading problem, select all and then go into the surface mapping section and hit calculate, this should sort it out for you.

Edited by pinky

Picolini

Hmm, maybe i'll just use two really big propellers, to make it look right. But then it won't be the real thing.... If you look on the blue print in my update pic above, you can see that the two outside engines are slightly further back, is this good enough, or would they need to be directly behind them? I was also thinking of just putting some big jets on there (as a second version), even though it would have the sound of a piston engine, but i could make it handle like a jet. I'll just ahve to worry about that problem when it gets here, still haven't even made the wings yet!

pinky

The props have to be directly behind, so the centre axis are the same. You then attach one to the other and it creates one object that can be rotated.

Unfortunately with your own plane this can't be done.

I had a thought about though, perhaps you can create the props and use them with wheel dummies, rotating the axis 90 degrees.

These if they work would only turn when the plane is moving but at least its a start.

I'll give it a test for you, I allready put wheel on a skimmer a couple of days ago and they don't function as wheels.

But they may still rotate and thats what counts, I couldn't tell on my model as it was only a test dummy and you can't really tell if untextured wheels are turning.

I'll post back shortly.

EDIT: Well I gave it a go and were sh*t outta luck Im afraid. Unless someone comes up with the solution.

Edited by pinky

Picolini

Did you make the propellers act as rear wheels? and make it rear wheel drive or 4WD, then the propellers wouldn't steer and they would go faster as you excelerate....

EDIT: If any one here has a .z3d file of the Skimmer, i'd appreciate it if they could send it to me so i could use it as a guide for materials and how to set up the parts parts. Also, I'll probably post an update pic later tonight with near finished/complete wings and tail sections.

Edited by Pickalini

Supdario
Did you make the propellers act as rear wheels? and make it rear wheel drive or 4WD, then the propellers wouldn't steer and they would go faster as you excelerate....

EDIT: If any one here has a .z3d file of the Skimmer, i'd appreciate it if they could send it to me so i could use it as a guide for materials and how to set up the parts parts. Also, I'll probably post an update pic later tonight with near finished/complete wings and tail sections.

In Planes Wheels don't move confused.gif

Joel Kroll

You could probably texture it as a really run down plane and have two of the motors look as if they were blown out. That way they wouldn't have to work. Just a thought.

Picolini

I'd rather have a nice looking plane with two props than a run down one. And, i haven't mentioned this yet, but i have no clue how to finish the model up for use in-game. I have no clue how to texture or set materials or any of that junk, and have no real interest in learning so (unless i have to). So if anyone is interested in working on all that stuff when i get a final model done let me know. I was also thinking it'd be cool to make it look like the plane from Tail Spin, that old cartoon that disney had, i used to watch it all the time when i was a kid. Of course i'd like a regular looking version too.

Anyways, heres some more update pics. Again, the second is just for a more complete view of the model, not the complete body. The wing took forever to get right suicidal.gif , but i like how it looks now. I just need to do those small wing things that go on the water near the middle, some engines, a cockpit, the rudders, alerons, etc, a door, winshield, and that should be about it... I was thinking of leaving the back open so you could drive a car in there, but it would be hard since this is in the water, and it would probably slip out when you excelerate and climb... anyone like that idea or any other ideas? Oh, and is it possible to make this seat at least 3 other people, or even more? Or is two the limit on planes?

- and one more thing, I selected the entire object, and calculated the normals and 100%, but it didn't change, is it just the shape causing those shade spots, and if i see it in zmodeler, does that mean it'll show up in-game?

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Snow Racer

[DRuG]NikT

Lookin good so far.... great to see more people modding planes!!

Welcome, and thanks - looking forward to it nearing release.... if you need help getting it in game, either myself, Dazla or Seanorris would be happy to help, I'm sure

Mark

Shady bit means you need to detach, then calculate normals.

Thats ZM2 ain't it? Hmm I'm not clued up on that...Just check out the tutorials on the Zm2 website and forums.

- GTAuron

Picolini

NikT,Oct 28 2005, 07:26] Lookin good so far.... great to see more people modding planes!!

Welcome, and thanks - looking forward to it nearing release.... if you need help getting it in game, either myself, Dazla or Seanorris would be happy to help, I'm sure

I plan on doing some more planes too, i'll post a sketch (i do have all 3 views, pretty much to scale) i made up for a Hydra Compact (got the name from Blista Compact). Its a jet-bike-plane thing, one jet in the front with thrust vectoring, and two in the rear that swivel from vertical to horizontal. Is it possible to change the jets from the hydra to what object and where its positioned?

And I just picked the seaplane as my first one cuz it looked like a well rounded model to make, so i could get some experience in everything. And i'd be very happy to let any of those people or you take it over once i get the model complete. I've seen most of all yous guys's models and they are all good, so I'm sure i'd be satisfied with the results.

I have been updating pretty much every step in the past 2 days, but this weekend I'm going up to U of I, so thats gonna eat up my whole weekend, so don't expect an update until early next week. I may post 1 more pic tonight, that's if i can finish that floater wing thing (near the mid-bottom). I'd have double the work done if this wasn't my parents work computer, then i'd get so much more done.... until then leave any comments, questions, and please leave and suggestions!

EDIT: One more things, i was thinking about putting the two propellers in tandem, the front facing forward, and the back facing the rear. Heres a pic, i think it might look good. Once i make 1 engine for it, i'll post a pic with two in tandem, and with just one. Then i'll see what you people have to say, but for now heres a blueprint i chopped up so you can see what i'm sayin, look at the right wing.

user posted image

Edited by Pickalini

e0ytk

Kudo's on maknig the coolest Sea Plane ever...I really can't wait for it's release... cookie.gifcookie.gif

Picolini

Well, i'm a step closer. I just finished off those small wing sections that run in the water (someone please tell me the name of them so i can stop calling them things), as i said i might do earlier. So theres a close up on it, it took for ever to get that shape, and i still think it needs some tweaking, so if you notice some unevenly rounded areas, don't worry. Before this, it had like 10 extra poly's on the top and bottom of the wing type section cuz... well i dunno why, but i fixed it so its now only 2 on each side, and i got the same shape out of it. I probably spent more time on this part than the whole body!

EDIT: Also, i want some comments on what you people think of tandem reversed engine & propellers, or just 2. I want to know before i start work on them so it's easier for me. I am personally leaning toward 2, with some big props so it'll look cool.

Close up

user posted image

A few views. Again, its not the complete model, just for the idea. I can see it in-game already! rah.gif

user posted image

Edited by Pickalini

jonrobertd

looks awesome tounge.gif

and i think they are called 'pylons'

Picolini

Thanks, and i would have no clue on the name, so pylons works for me. Also, forgot to mention, its at 266 (mixed) polys, 442 triangles. The average for a car is 2,000 and up right? By the time its complete my guess is it'll be just under 1,000 tops...i think i should redo some stuff, like the middle rear tail section (the stationary one), its realy flat, and I was tired when i did it first. If anyone sees any spots that could use some more detail, let me know.

Edited by Pickalini

Tuff Luv Capo
Looks beautiful, I definitely think we have enough car mods, and all the plane mods usually seem to be joke ones... Nice to see someone has a real knowledge for the subject to work with.

pinky

looks awesome  tounge.gif

and i think they are called 'pylons'

I think they are actually called pontoons.

If you go for the 4 engine configuration you should maybe put them on a raised section above each wing, keeping them quite close together.

Think Howard Hughes small Seaplane, not the Spruce Goose, in the film "The Aviator" style of effect.

That way they will be more of a feature than an afterthought, might help you to give the model a more individual look.

This is quite a common practice in real seaplanes to prevent propellors being dipped in the water while running, like hitting a concrete slab when at operational RPM.

Looking forward to seeing what ever design you come up with, be it twin or quad engined.

EDIT: Had a thought about your shading issue, its caused by the use of long and large polys, I had the same thing with my Dropship model.

If you look at the guys doing cars you will see that even large flat surfaces tend to be broken up into smaller polygons, this affects the normals.

There is at least one point where I can see a large quad that z-modeller has folded from corner to corner itself and these are what creates the problem.

Either use smaller quads or use triangles instead.

You will probably find on the mirrored side the quad will be folded at opposite corners creating different effects on either side, this is what usually happens to me.

Hope that can help you out a bit.

Don't be afraid to up the poly count for such a large vehicle, it will really make a difference when put in game and will show up sharp edges more than a smaller plane.

Edited by pinky

Picolini

Thanks for all the compliments. And as for putting the engines close together, i don't really understand what you mean... i'm looking for some pictures for a reference. I also came up with the idea of doing multiple blades stacked infront of the other, like they used to do with counter-rotated blades, although they would spin the same direction in-game, i think it would give a nice effect. And thanks for the tip on the normals, i try making some other those polys smaller, see if that works. That seems like the answer, cuz the shading is just wrong in the larger poly areas.

Gotta Q on how this can work in game. Since the Skimmer has two pontoons and my plane has a large single body with two pontoons on the side, how will it float? Should the 2 pontoons be the objects that make it float, or could i choose all three? Or Would i just make the body the part that floats? And, on the tail section, it has 2 vertical rudders (if thats what they are called). And in SA, i only see 1 on each plane, so is it possible to make a double tail? If not, i guess i'll have to delete the two on the side, and make the middle one work.

EDIT: Just messed around with the polys on the side where the shading is messed up, and it worked, So thanks Pinky. I guess it is true, to get good normals, you have to have a good model. It's gonna take some work to get it looking perfect, so it'll have to wait. Right now, I'm just gonna play SA (haven't really since I started this project, and i just got SA like a week before that colgate.gif )

Edited by Pickalini

pinky

The Skimmers flaotation is done through its collision file so you could probably do a combination of main fuselage and poontoon collisions without much hassle.

The twin rudder thing may be a problem though, the only one so far is the vortex, I had the same prob with my dropship and just did away with the rudder altogether. Yours on the other hand may let you away with one centre one.

You could also try assigning one to "gear_lf_dummy", it isn't shown on the Skimmer heirarchy but may still work as it is a common aircraft part. Usually you can add parts to vehicles that are generic .e.g you can put working props on the hydra.

I had to use that front wheel dummy trick to get the front wheel cowling an my airship to turn with the wheel.

Just some ideas for you to kick around.

Keep up the good work.

El_Venezolano
Looks beautiful, I definitely think we have enough car mods, and all the plane mods usually seem to be joke ones... Nice to see someone has a real knowledge for the subject to work with.

Same here wink.gif .

One question, what do you have in mind for texture? , are you going to skin it in air force style or keep that "PAN AMERICAN" thing?

Picolini

EDIT: (Update at bottom of post)

Thanks for the info Pinky, it'll help when i get there.

Now as for a paint job, i'd like to see something different. I like logos on planes, and this is the only one i can find, its a Billabong Clipper, not the same model plane, but it's really similar. It also has 2 engines on it, and thats how i think i'm gonna do it.

Billabong Clipper Paint Scheme

BillabongClipper.com

I did mention i wanted a Tailspin texture, and i was serious! I found this >Tailspin Plane, and it has a picture of the plane and an interior shot, the thing is, its a whole different plane. I really like this style better than the one i am currently doing, so maybe i'll make that one later on, and not use the tailspin texture on this one.

And as for the Pan America texture.... i think no. Its really plain and... well it just sucks. Maybe something similar, but some colored stripes around the wings, and some striping along the body lines, with a bare metal base? I dunno, if anyone has suggestions leave them. No update on the model yet, it took me 4 1/2 hours to drive back home from my friends today, i had 2 hours of sleep, i was hung over, and my right engine mount is broken in my 92 chevy beretta (still drove 200+ miles amazingly), so it was a horrble horrible suicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gifsuicidal.gif ride back. I have no clue when i'll update next, so keep an eye out.

EDIT: I started on the Sea Duck from Tailspin, it's not much at all, and it has some very complex curves, so this one is gonna take a while, i probably won't post a topic for it till theres a decent portion done, heres a pic with my set up and whats done so far. And yes, i know the curvature shown here is way off.

user posted image

EDIT: UPDATE!!: Well i redid some polys and split that single on that ran the lenght of the body into about 4 different polys and that took care of the shading problem there. It still has the problem underneath in the middle, and a little around the cockpit window. But as for what i've done since last time, i made the engine. I did decide to go with just 2 engine/propellers. Now i have a question, I need to start making parts that have special attributes (moving parts, clear, etc). I'm guessing that the moving parts on the plane- alerons, rudders, propellers, etc- have to be separate parts, or under a part of the model. Does it matter if i make these part of the body and later detach them and give them their functions? And for windows, i just make them clear with the materials editor right? And how do i know what size to make the seat and steering wheel in the cockpit.... i know these are alot of questions but i hate reading through guides, so just help me out here people.

Heres the update pic. You can see the shading isn't messed up right under the wing, and on the wing is the engine. I think i will add a lip around the front later on.

user posted image

Edited by Pickalini

pinky

If you use the Andromada as a base model for the Duck you can have the functioning ramp and undercarraige like the real thing.

This should enable land and sea operations.

If you need help setting them up let me know, I have done a fair bit of messing with the aircraft Node and handling set ups and should be able to help you out.

Looking forward to seeing them completed, the Billabong paintjob is the one to go for.