4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

tonywob

[WIP] IPL Editor

MONSTER2
@MONSTER2

I don't understand what you mean? Copy and Paste the About My Computer information into your next post. Maybe, I can work out what's happening then.

OpenGL Version: 2.0.4955 WinXP Release

OpenGL Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Renderer: RADEON 9600 x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Supported Extension: GL_EXT_BGRA

Unsupported Extension: GL_EXT_PALETTED_TEXTURE

Supported Extension: GL_EXT_TEXTURE_COMPRESSION_S3TC

When i selekt any IPL and click "render" ,I`m see black window (can`t see the objects and the map)

Sorry i`m bad speek english biggrin.gif

The-end

What happend to the topdownveiw/palyer veiw button from 0.12a can you add the top down veiw back in if possible...also a undo button would be handy pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee????

Edited by The-end

tonywob

@tony_fish

There is a large LOD object in Vice City that covers the whole island, this is rendered because the program couldn't find a child object. The solution to this, is to only edit the area you are interested in, and not to load the entire map. Other than that, find out which IPL file the LOD is visible in and hide it.

@cr

The settings not being saved is not a bug with MEd, but more than likely your game installation is set as read-only (Which is the default when you install it).

I've added a simple Undo feature, which will undo the last change you made to the map. It only remembers the last change you made and not multiple changes.

It appears that the program has problems with the ATI drivers on some machines. This is going to be extremely difficult to troubleshoot as I don't own a newer ATI card, only an old ATI Radeon 8500 (Which works!). People who are having the black screen problem, can you load single objects by viewing DFF properties, IDE properties?

Edited by tonywob

cR

It isn't the read only setting... it does add the IDE but doesn't add the IPL... I'm now using 0.2a and it still happends confused.gif

I also created a new IMG file and it didn't put it in the .dat correctly: 'IMG e:\gta san andreasMODELS\lc.IMG', it didn't add the \ between the SA map and models... and wouldn't it be better to make it like 'IMG MODELS\lc.IMG'?

JernejL
GL_EXT_PALETTED_TEXTURE

GL_EXT_PALETTED_TEXTURE will be unsupported on nvidias soon too, i suggest converting to 32bit internally before sending it to opengl.

tonywob

@delfi

I did this in v0.12 when cards that actually did support the palette extension weren't rendering properly, and since non of my cards worked with the extension, I simply emulate it always now.

tonywob

@cr

I've managed to reproduce the img file incorrect dat entry error and fixed it, however I can't understand or reproduce the ipl error. I presume you are clicking New File, choosing a name, and then saving changes when you exit?. Is anyone else having this trouble?

The-end

Thanks for adding an undo button when will taht be released???

cR
@cr

I presume you are clicking New File, choosing a name, and then saving changes when you exit?. Is anyone else having this trouble?

Yes that's right...

Also... when I changed the path in the gta.dat to the .img myself, the editior can't find it while the game does :s

MONSTER2

can you load single objects by viewing DFF properties, IDE properties?

no i`m cant

Edited by MONSTER2

Dillyracer

Any new updates on releases ?

tonywob

Cheers for posting that, my MSN won't work for some reason.

Gforce

no offence but, what exactly is the point of being able to view colfiles in this map editor ? none from what i can work out other than something else to look at. personally i think functionality and stability are far more important than wasting time on a none functional visual feature, unless you intend to incorporate a full colfile editor and give it full col3 functionality it is a complete waste of code. its not like you can move colfiles around in the same way you can with the dff entries as they are fixed to the same xyz axis as the dff's when the colfiles are made.

the ability to select every entry in any given ipl and be able to move them is far more important, that was the feature i originally used to move Curveshire in the VC engine from the original gta3 coords that were used.

i still have a problem with the 3D view not working on my PC, this issue has been present from v0.12 upwards, when i say not working i mean the 3D view window does not even show up................ever, and crashes if i select and render an ipl no matter what game i load into it.

V0.11 still works perfect for me btw.

my critisism's aside this is coming along very nicely wink.gif

tonywob

@gforce

At the moment, all you can do is view the colfiles as well as move them around the map the same as the DFF files. The only use is so you can determine the types of surfaces each object will have in the game, it is also a way of verifying you have created a correct col object. The main reason I use the colfiles is so I can get the bounding boxes for each object, this will come in useful later if I decide to implement Vertex Snapping, and frustum culling, etc.

The graphics problem is extremely strange, have you checked the About My Computer dialog in the Help window to see which extensions your card supports. Do any of the 3D Dialogs work? Can you view object properties, does the TXD Viewer work?

madness.productions

I think you need a website. A place to go to to recieve the latest updates. Have you been thinking about creating a Website. If you need any free hosting pm me and i'll be able to arrange some free hosting. And if you need help designing a website i'll show you how to set up PostNuke and if you need a forum you can use PHPBB. Which can all be included in your free hosting if your interested.

If you are interested please email me for fastest responce.

I'll PM you my email address with all these details.

Madness Productions

BenMillard

madness.productions: Look at Tonywob's signature. Tony uses his GTAForums membership to maintain the MapEditor (MEd) download page on GTA Garage. That is where the most recent update will always be.

Gforce, the COL viewing is far from useless. There are a large number of surface types in GTA3 and GTAVC with a vast number of types in GTASA. Being able to see all the surface types in the 3D environment at the same time allows the user to get an overview of the way COL surface types are being used.

In large projects like Myriad Islands, a COL view will allow authors to ensure they are using COL surface types in the same way as all other authors, so that grass effects do not suddenly change to dirt effects when travelling across a field which is split between two authors. As GTASA introduces various collision types which are "climbable", a colour-coded COL view allows authors to see which types of walls should be climbable, as well as how far above the ground a surface can be while still allowing the player to jump up and get hold of it.

Furthermore, the COL view allows the shape of all COL files to be seen in the position they will be in the game. This makes it easy to see if COLs are meeting correctly. It also makes it easy to see whether the level of detail in any particular COL file is excessive in relation to the detail in other COL files. As the 3D view shows all COL files at once, it allows the COL density of whole areas to be viewed. Any areas where the individual COL files are a reasonable detail but the area as a whole has excessive detail can be identified.

Therefore, a COL view can be invaluble even without any editing functionality whatsoever. As it happens, Tony intends to allow basic COL editing (including COL3) so that surface types can be changed. Also, being able to move the DFF+COL pairs together allows mappers to be sure their COL files are perfectly matched with each other. In many places throughout GTA3, GTAVC and GTASA, there are areas where DFF files line up perfectly but a small gap in the COL is present which vehicle tyres will fall through. An 3D COL view will allow problems like this to be identified and fixed.

COL creation is best handled in a bespoke editor such as 3D Studio Max using an export script or in Steve-M's upcoming COL Editor II.

Of course stability and operability are important in MEd. However, you should bear in mind that MEd does not have a QA department and a million-dollar budget to perform device testing and troubleshooting. It's just got Tony, working in very limited free time. You havn't even provided your system specs for him to try and figure out what is causing the problem. If you want the editor to be changed so it works on your machine, you will have to take an active, constructive role in helping Tony to diagnose the problem. smile.gif

tonywob

Thank you Cerbera smile.gif. As you said, you can verify which objects are solid, e.g. Rendering in COL mode which show you that the observatory isn't solid as well as ghost town. You also verify you not exceeding the face limits for objects. Another problem is finding out how cars and players will react with your custom object.

There are nearly 200 different surface types in COL3, as well as a brightness parameter (Which explains the dark models in some mods). With COL3 you can also view shadow meshes.

I've noticed one area in particular doesn't have any surface types, most of them default to 0 or a grass surface. (LAe2.ipl), some other areas have complete surface types like to countryside. It could be I am reading the colfiles incorrectly, but I'll have to verify this.

The only thing I can think is happening on some Radeon cards is that the OpenGL context is not even being created. Without more information, it is impossible to troubleshoot this. If anyone wants to report bugs then please add me to your MSN or post here.

wauzie

Nice work man!

@ Tonywob, so there never will be an other solution for fixing the opengl settings/version without video card upgrades? confused.gif.

tonywob

I will always try to fix the problems as long as I can work out what is going on. It should work with newer ATI cards because it works on my older ATI Radeon 8500. Don't worry, I will keep attempting to work out what's going on, I just need more information from people (Anyone having these troubles, please add me to your MSN. Without actually buying the card myself, this is the only way.). Another major problem is that on two machines with the same cards, one works and another doesn't. This again, makes it hard to troubleshoot unless I can get detailed information about a user's environment. If anyone has older ATI cards to donate, then that would be extremely helpful.

As of yet, there doesn't seem to be any problems with NVidia Cards.

Edit:

I've posted Version 0.21a on gtagarage.com - Here are a list of changes:

* Fixed Centre on Object

* Fixed New Item Placement

* Added Centre on Object to Context Menu

* COLL/COL3 Rendering Mode

* Basic Undo for Mapview (paste, delete or new item)

* Collision File Properties Window

* Fixed Rotation for separate GL Windows (DFFView, COLView and TXDView)

* Fixed Bug when adding new IMG Archive

* Added Bounding Spheres and Boxes to Item Selection

* Made Progress Bars show overall progress

* Added Error warnings when OpenGL context fails to be created.

* Small Interface Bug Fixes

* Adding New Items using the IPLTree will automatically centre the view

The major change in this release is collision file support. Although only basic col functionality is available at the moment

Edited by tonywob

GT.Killer

Im not sure if this is a bug but enyway..

When you select object like this:

user posted image

Then, when you double click somewhere on the dark area the object will disappear?

user posted image

Center object works now!

RainingAcid

This program quits after loading GTA VC or GTA SA...

tonywob

@gt.killer

Yeh it is a bug, nothing major though, I've fixed it. Thanks for finding that

@rainingacid

Not being funny, but how am I supposed to troubleshoot a problem when you give very little information. Things like, what system you have, have you installed any mods (and if so, what are they). It works fine on my two computers, and many other computers, so ??????? (Help me out here)

The-end
I will always try to fix the problems as long as I can work out what is going on. It should work with newer ATI cards because it works on my older ATI Radeon 8500. Don't worry, I will keep attempting to work out what's going on, I just need more information from people (Anyone having these troubles, please add me to your MSN. Without actually buying the card myself, this is the only way.). Another major problem is that on two machines with the same cards, one works and another doesn't. This again, makes it hard to troubleshoot unless I can get detailed information about a user's environment. If anyone has older ATI cards to donate, then that would be extremely helpful.

As of yet, there doesn't seem to be any problems with NVidia Cards.

Edit:

I've posted Version 0.21a on gtagarage.com - Here are a list of changes:

* Fixed Centre on Object

* Fixed New Item Placement

* Added Centre on Object to Context Menu

* COLL/COL3 Rendering Mode

* Basic Undo for Mapview (paste, delete or new item)

* Collision File Properties Window

* Fixed Rotation for separate GL Windows (DFFView, COLView and TXDView)

* Fixed Bug when adding new IMG Archive

* Added Bounding Spheres and Boxes to Item Selection

* Made Progress Bars show overall progress

* Added Error warnings when OpenGL context fails to be created.

* Small Interface Bug Fixes

* Adding New Items using the IPLTree will automatically centre the view

The major change in this release is collision file support. Although only basic col functionality is available at the moment

Nice update centre on object was a gopod imprrovement

madness.productions

I got this error message as the program automaticly closed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>

<DATABASE>

<EXE NAME="ipleditor.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="ipleditor.exe" SIZE="6658048" CHECKSUM="0x2D2FE32E" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x6622C3" LINKER_VERSION="0x10000" LINK_DATE="12/01/2005 00:18:37" UPTO_LINK_DATE="12/01/2005 00:18:37" />

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="mingwm10.dll" SIZE="15960" CHECKSUM="0xF7234415" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xEEF2" LINKER_VERSION="0x10000" LINK_DATE="01/13/2005 20:14:23" UPTO_LINK_DATE="01/13/2005 20:14:23" />

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="Uninstall.exe" SIZE="54965" CHECKSUM="0x4C9BB11A" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" LINK_DATE="11/12/2005 15:56:06" UPTO_LINK_DATE="11/12/2005 15:56:06" />

</EXE>

<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="983552" CHECKSUM="0x4CE79457" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xFF848" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" LINK_DATE="08/04/2004 07:56:36" UPTO_LINK_DATE="08/04/2004 07:56:36" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />

</EXE>

</DATABASE>

I hope this is any help, it wouldn't let me copy and paste any of the other information...

RainingAcid
@gt.killer

Yeh it is a bug, nothing major though, I've fixed it. Thanks for finding that

@rainingacid

Not being funny, but how am I supposed to troubleshoot a problem when you give very little information. Things like, what system you have, have you installed any mods (and if so, what are they). It works fine on my two computers, and many other computers, so ??????? (Help me out here)

Says something about cannot create OpenGL Window.

tonywob

@madness-productions

By the looks of the error report, are you using a version prior to v0.20.

@rainingacid

If it can't create the OpenGL context then it is a problem with your graphic's card drivers. What graphics card have you got?

wauzie

@Tonywob, this info is maybe helpfull:

OpenGL Version: 1.1.0OpenGL Vendor: Microsoft CorporationOpenGL Renderer: GDI GenericSupported Extension: GL_EXT_BGRASupported Extension: GL_EXT_PALETTED_TEXTUREUnsupported Extension: GL_EXT_TEXTURE_COMPRESSION_S3TC

RainingAcid

Edit: it works now.

Edited by RainingAcid

tonywob

@wauzie

Looking at that information your graphics card only supports basic OpenGL using the Windows GDI. It looks like you are either using the default Windows XP drivers, in which case update to the latest vendor drivers. As an example, if you own an ATI card, go and get the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI's website, this will update the version of OpenGL on your machine and should fix any problems. I haven't had any trouble with NVidia cards, so far!.

@Rainingacid

What did you do to get it work? For future reference

----

I've updated the download again, but this is the last until after the New Year. I've fixed the problem gt.killer noted earlier, as well as sorted out the focusing problems people are having with the IPLEditor window (You can use MSN correctly now smile.gif ). I've also tried changing a bit of code in the 3d window creation process to see if this fixes the no-context problem. Although, It might not work (I can't test it since my works), its worth a try.

The latest version still needs more work on LOD mode, I'll start on this after the holidays.

I'm taking two weeks off for Christmas smile.gif, but please do continue to post your bug reports and suggestions. Cerbera is working on a couple of dialogs for me, so he may post updates on this.

Happy Xmas and New Year to everyone.

Edited by tonywob