4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

tonywob

[WIP] IPL Editor

GT.Killer
@GT.Killer

I agree about the item dragging, I have added a checkbox so you can disable editing, in case you just want to have a look around. I've identified the problem with objects moving, it's the Rotation Calculations, basically, converting to quaternion to euler loses a bit of the floating point values, and object appears to move slightly. Clicking Undo, or Cancel should return it back into position. Again, I am looking at ways of improving item dragging, but it is a little bit above me at the moment confused.gif. As requested, I have added the controls MapViewer uses (a, s, d, w), and I have remapped Up And Down to (R and T). I have also smoothed it out, so it navigates the same now. Thanks, it does work better smile.gif

Great! cant wait for new version! tounge.gif

Its very important that controls are very handy and smooth for guys who are working on very big TC mods that have their own map!

wauzie

@Tonywob, can you fix the video card problem? I can't enable textures and i can't modify / check IDE flags. When i try to, you tool crashes sad.gif.

Edited by wauzie

Simon.
I've been thinking. How about an "Undo/Redo" feature? I've come across many a times when I could do with one ... I've also come by some wierd crashes, sometimes it just crashes for no apparent reason. Sometimes when I create a new IPL it crashes, I'll have to do a bit more research into it smile.gif.

Lil'Momo

Hi guys! Sorry, if it doesn't fit in this thread. I'm new here, and I'm from Germany, so I'm confused about the english forum.

My question. When I start the Map-Editor, and i choose an IPL-Data, the Map-Editor quits and I'm on the desktop again. Can anybody help me?

Greez Lil'Momo!

black_patriot

I tried your map editor, and it's pretty good. However when i try to edit a map and save it, my game crashes when i try to load. I have also tried restoring the original map files but that doen't help. I have done two reinstalls, and I was wondering if you had a list of all the files that the editor opens when it starts, so that i could backup them.

I am trying to make a second carrier in the SF bay, one that doesn't get you a five star rating when you land on it, and i was wondering if that could be causing the problem. So far I have tried the method in the tutorial, and have also tried winging it, but all my game does is crash.

Again, a great editor, and I would be willing to be a beta tester if you need one.

ceedj

Wow.

I mean, WOW.

EXCELLENT WORK!

Very usefull for a hack scm coder like myself for finding the hidden/unused/cutscene entrance and exit points (I just selected a door a fudged the coords from there).

OG Loc's is now enterable/exitable! Sweet!

Acutally, Sweet, Ryder and Denise are next...

Fantabulous! Keep it up! rah.gif

ParoXum

@diabolyX

I'm glad it works well with San Andreas and your modified installation smile.gif. I think I have found what might be causing a flicker on your card, and I have changed it. Which card do you have by the way?

I've got an ATi radeon 9550 (256mo) wink.gif

Hope it will help you. Oh, and my drivers are the latest Omega version. (2.6.5 I think)

MONSTER2

Problem:gta 3 map is loaded but sa map not loaded suicidal.gif (i`m bad speak english)

Darkdrium

Oh nevermind i fixed it.

Anyway theres a bug where sometime you select item via "Item Placements" or you copy too much, i'm not sure but then after awhile you can't double click on object anymore that you have to restart MapEditor.

Edited by Darkdrium

Supdario
@Eclipse_nl

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I will add a link to this on the download link.

@cerbera

Thanks for the tip, I've implemented your ideas.

user posted imageuser posted image

Hope this helps people manage their multiple modded installs smile.gif

@steve-m

A couple of other models in Myriad Islands were like this, as you said, I noticed one of the skyscrapers was missing. If I run into anymore trouble then your newer rwAnalyze tool would be extremely useful. Thanks

@Supdario

Please could you post how you got the program to crash. Include your PC configuration and what you were doing at the time. This software is still a very early release, so bare with me. There are hundreds of different possibilities that I haven't tested confused.gif.

I've also added support for Binary IPL editing. Works well, but I am going to test it fully before releasing it, 'cause its pretty dangerous if it fails. I've tried mapping the arrows keys to the controls but the window manager for the treeviews will not release control, no matter how hard I try sad.gif. If I can find a way, I will. The image archiver is also coming along well, and hopefully will be added into the next release along with a search feature.

I'm having the weekend off, so I'll get to work again probably Monday. Please continue to post bug reports. Thanks

Crashes when I select New Object confused.gif

My PC:

Acer Travelmate 2700

Win XP HE

Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP (64 MB) (last drivers)

Realtek Ac97

Intel P4 3.00 Ghz

Ram 512 MB DDR

DirectX 9.0c

15.4" WXGA Widescreen TFT LCD

tonywob

Okay, the only thing I can suggest about the textures is so download the latest drivers. If this still doesn't work, then I'm afraid the drivers for your graphics card don't support the DXT opengl extension sad.gif. I've reimplemented the palette extension, so this will now work on all graphics card. (The palette extension is used by GTA 3 only).

According to the OpenGL website, and various other sources. The s3tc extension used to display DXT compressed textures (Used by Vice City and San Andreas) is support on all new Ati Radeon cards and Nvidia Geforce cards. You should download the latest catalyst for ATI, and forceware drivers for NVidia to enable the use of this.

Seems, this program is crashing alot more than I expected sad.gif. Seems like this is going to need ALOT of work. I am aware of the problem with selecting an object and eventually it stops working, this should be fixed in the next version.

By all means continue testing it, but as you can all tell, this program is by no means ready for serious modding yet. The problem is, I am having difficulty reproducing the problems people are having on my machine confused.gif

Edited by tonywob

BenMillard

Perhaps developing an event logging system for the tool would help you debug the problems people are having? Just appending a line to a med.log text file each time a non-trivial event happens is *basically* all it would require. You could put a minimal amount of relevant details on each line since previous lines would show which edition of GTA was loaded, which IPLs were selected, which buttons were pressed, which item is selected, etc.

When a user experienced an error, they could Email you their med.log file as an attachment (or upload it to a file host) and make a post here.

It might be possible to gather relevant information about the user's machine from the Windows registry? This could be placed at the start of the log file, so you could keep track of what sort of machine with what drivers and hardware was being used. If the user describes what they were doing and what went wrong more carefully, that could help you understand the log better and figure out what part of the code was going wrong?

I think it sets an excellent example that you're trying to make a reliable and usable tool, even though it will take a long time to complete and you aren't being paid. smile.gif

Edited by Cerbera

Gforce

i finally got around to testing this tool and i've got to say for an alpha release it works very well. However i did have one or 2 little issues but nothing really major, there is a little texture bug for me with the GTI map where some of the tex's are wrong but it doesn't affect anything ingame.

i did one stupid thing that caused a crash, i tried to copy and paste on the map screen and poof it all froze up, ive included some screens for you to see.

user posted image user posted image

all in all i had no problems using this editor, a feature i would like to see added is the ability to select an ipl and be able to move it all in one go like i could in Ked/moomapper by Delfi, also the ability to see and move paths in VC would be good but not essential, and the game selection which i see is already going to be implemented.

Very nice editor imo, i look forward to future updates ............ have some more cookies biggrin.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

Dillyracer

this is a question aside, does anyone know where i can find flat land ? I what ipl since i don't know how to model it

tonywob

@gforce

It didn't actually freeze up, I just got the window order wrong. If you have a look behind the IPL editor window, there is a little warning box. The warning box is asking you to choose which IPL file you want to place the item into. Thanks for pointing this error out though, smile.gif I will sort this out.

Big-Bear

Man, what a great job. I'm really impressed biggrin.gif

icon14.gif

tonywob

Okay, application download updated to v0.11a

New features include:

* Binary IPL editing

* Game Chooser

* Smoother Controls

* Select All option for maplist (Careful with this one!)

* Changed the way you load a map. Select all visible files and then hit Render

* Lots of bug fixes. Should load Myriad Islands now

* A disable editing feature, in case you just want to use it as a viewer

Please be careful when using the Binary IPL editing feature. Always backup your installation. I have disabled Binary IPL item deleletion at the moment, as it was causing some problems in game.

Edited by tonywob

-GRAVITY2-

Nice so i can create a new ipl in this program now just like moo moo mapper?

Whats the limit on cols now?

Dillyracer

Gonna ask again tounge.gif Where can i find a piece of flat land

wiredwizardz

I have been using this editor for a few days now and granted the results to some might not seem all that grand but they are impressive for me. Here are a few screenshots so you can see the progress so far.

A well stacked Pizza right next to Sunshie Autos

Florida Black Hole Project

Well Stacked Pizza next to new location of The Greasy Chopper

Greasy Choper interior

The interior doesn't have any of the props in it as of yet but it is accessable.

There are a few more images but I didn't post them since they were duplicates.

Also the buildings are higher up than the ground I still haven't figured out how to place them properly since the ground is not totaly level.

There are a few more things that I want to do such as add several building from San Andreas into Vice but that is going to take a little more time and effort. But for now that is what I have been able to do with this new editor. The one thing that would be easier is if navigation and placement could be done with the arrow keys instead of letter keys. Thanks again for this wonderful editor Tony.rah.gif

Wiz

sign-thompson.gif

BenMillard

For those who don't already know what the link is: Tony's Map Editor (MEd). I'm getting it now. smile.gif

(EDIT) Tony, please don't ZIP the MapEditor folder. Just ZIP the files, that way the user can extract the files to exactly where they want them without a new folder being created. This means people don't end up with two copies of the same editor and won't have to update all their shortcuts for each release.

There seems to be an incorrect property for all the buttons in the installs form. They are all set as the default button (they all have the emboldened outline). Only one button should be the default at any one time since it is operated by pressing the Return or Enter key. The "Cancel" button should not be the default button unless the user tabs gives it the focus. There is normally a "Cancel" property which you can set for a button which means it operates when the user presses the Escape key - as the name suggests, this property is ideal for the "Cancel" or "Close" button on each form.

A control should only have three dots after its caption if it requires the user to input more data before the operation is performed. For example, the "Add..." button is using three dots correctly as it requires the user to input data into the "Add GTA Installation" form before the item actually gets added. However, the "Remove..." button should not have three dots because it removes the item immediately. I'd suggest you remove those three dots so the user won't mistakenly think it opens a new form like the other buttons do. You might want to use a "Yes/No" message box to confirm the item removal, though.

The list in this form seems to have a horizontal scrollbar to nowhere?

A similar problem occurs on the "Add GTA Install" form. On this form, I think the confirmation button should be called "OK" rather than "Next" because when you click it, that is the end of that form. A "Next" button normally indicates the form will change to the next page, rather than return you to the form you were on before. The GTA install path seems to get validated when you change the GTA install name. I think the install path should only get validated when the install path changes? You could also check for empty fields and give a more specific status message, perhaps?

Could you make the "Browse For Folder" dialogue for the "Add..." button remember the last folder the user selected in it? At the moment it always seems to return to the application path, which may not be anywhere near the user's install locations.

It's already an excellent tool and a lot of people are already using it. Making refinements like this could make it even better to use, though.

(EDIT2) Whinging over - GTA3 is loading correctly and looking beautiful:

user posted image

800 x 572, 61.9kB.

(EDIT3) Navigating the map feels more natural now. However, I've noticed that it seems like you can only use one button at a time. For example, if I am using W to move forwards and then press D to start moving diagonally, I simply stop. Similarly, if I am moving normally and then hold down Shift I just stop. Refining the navigation a bit more so people can change direction and speed on the fly (if you'll excuse the pun) could be something to look into?

It's definitely improving! tounge.gif

Edited by Cerbera

tonywob

@dillyracer

Glad you like the program and are getting results with it smile.gif. The problem with the arrow keys is that the second you press them, the tree views on the main page grab control. There is a long winded way around it, the downside is that pressing the arrow keys on the treeview will also move your map. This is simply the way my gui toolkit works with OpenGL.

Edit: Cursor keys now work, you can also use the cursor keys to move the object (Ideal for fine tuning). I'll post an update soon

@Cerbera

I need to relook at certain dialogs, as Akado has offered to translate the interface into French, any tips on an easy way to do this.

The selector does need work, but as you've probably noticed my attention to detail is a bit rushed as there is a lot of other things to do. If you get time, could you perhaps produce a mockup of the ipleditor and ideeditor dialogs, this would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: implemented your suggestion for the game selector, although the focus is always only one object, it is just how the Window Manager deals with it. Hit tab, and you will see what I mean. Now trying to figure out why the stupid thing won't accept multiple keyevents confused.gif

Edited by tonywob

wiredwizardz

Just a small rather stupid question. When I check GTA Garage for the updated version of the Editor it shows that the editor has been updated but there is no link for it. Am I missing or not seeing something? Just curious since the direct link doesn't show the new update.

Wiz

BenMillard

Interface

I'd be honoured to contribute to this project, for sure. smile.gif It will take me somewhere between a few days and two weeks to create the mockups. During that time you could focus on the more mechanical aspects, perhaps. If you have Windows/MSN Messenger or any compatible chat client we could discuss ideas more easily and speed up the process. If the programming environment you use is available for free, it might be possible for me to rebuild the dialogues myself to save you the work?

Translations

You might like to check IMG by Respawn (his site is offline so Google for it). It populates all its captions via an INI file which contains the captions in a variety of languages. The language to use is stored in the user's preferences file. Something you should be careful of is that English has lots more words than other languages, so there are lots more short words. This means captions for program controls in English tend to be around 30% shorter than the same caption in a different language.

Command buttons generally have to be enlarged so the translated text will fit on one line. Your interface looks like it has space to grow in most places, so it should be alright. Your tag-based settings format should make it possible to create quite an elegant and dynamic language support system without a *massive* amount of work, although it won't be straightforward. It's easier to create a program which supports language packs than make several versions of the same program, though.

I think that language packs and the system they will use shouldn't be started until 2006 at the earliest. This program might change a great deal during these early phases of development and rebuilding the language packs and/or language system would waste a lot of time. It would also introduce one more source for potential bugs, when bug reduction is where your focus seems to be at the moment (and quite rightly).

Edited by Cerbera

tonywob

@wiredwizard

The latest version is v0.11a which doesn't include the enhancements I've done today. I am still working on a few more things for this, like searching, etc. Then I'll upload it, hopefully Thursday Night.

wiredwizardz

Thanks Tony now I don't feel as look as I dumb or is that dumb as I look who cares thanks again.

Wiz

tonywob

Download update to v0.12a

* Updated IDEBrowser to allow the use of cursor (Faster Browsing)

* Forced stricter name checking on TXD Archives, to prevent duplicates

* Re-enabled Deletion (Still causes Random Crashes in game!)

* Navigation with the Arrow Keys as well as W,S,A,D

* Fine Tuning Moving for selected objects using Arrow Keys

* Sorting and Search for IDE Treeview

* Sorting and Search for IPL Treeview

* Adding Sorting and Search to Item Chooser

* Game Chooser interface changes and ability to remember last install

* Bookmark Tools (Remembers commonly used positions on the map) - Separate Config file from med.ini to allow distributing co-ordinates easier.

* Changed a couple of icon graphics and Intro Wizard

* Bug Fixes for adding objects to map

* Fixed a couple of rendering problems in San Andreas

* Stricter checking for Treeviews

* Adding New Object automatically centres on it

* Fixed texture viewer not displaying the generic texture dictionary file

Please note that deleting binary IPL instances is dangerous because it seems to mess up paths, only delete objects that you know are safe, e.g. Deleting roads and houses causes the game to crash, but deleting trees is okay. If you want to disable Binary IPL editing, then I suggest you set the read-only attribute on your gta3.img file.

Hope you all enjoy it smile.gif

flitcroft101

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!! this is great biggrin.gif its been helping the LVS team alot and also helping me with my Postal mods.

You need more karma tounge.gif

Thanks again

Dazz -kthx

wiredwizardz

Tony, I have to admit I am more than just impressed by your editor. Especially at the speed which you are able to make updates and add new functions to it. Great Job and keep it up. rah.gif

Wiz sign-thompson.gifsign-clinton.gif