2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

tonywob

[WIP] IPL Editor

X-Seti

Interesting and yet cool editer:

user posted image

user posted image

Only problem I notice here is texture model corruption (Notice the skyrail support posts, Second pic above)

Moomapper pic

user posted image

other then that, it would be nice to add 2dfx support for editing light positions.

smile.gif

Edited by Mc-Kay

tonywob
Interesting and yet cool editer:

user posted image

user posted image

Only problem I notice here is texture model corruption (Notice the skyrail support posts, Second pic above)

Moomapper pic

user posted image

other then that, it would be nice to add 2dfx support for editing light positions.

smile.gif

Thanks for testing, glad you like it.

So you have tested this on your Vice City mod, glad it seems to work. Is this the early alpha mod available to download or is it a later version, so I can checkout the texture problem. Seems like either the texture has the same name as something else, or something weirds going on confused.gif

Cam
This is great. Good work. inlove.gif Awesome piece of software.

Simon.
Been playing with it for a while now. Looking good to me biggrin.gif!

Knife

I'm going to download and have a play with this. Good stuff biggrin.gif

BenMillard

When I tried opening my install of Myriad Islands for GTAVC, I got this:

user posted image

529 x 923, 77.5kB.

In case it might be to do with the contents of the file, you can get my "illcomsub.ipl" file here. I had loaded up GTA3, didn't display any files, then closed the editor. I started the editor again, selected this install of GTAVC, and this error occurred whilst loading.

I closed all the error messages, started the editor again, selected the same install, and it loaded up fine with correct colouring, lighting, etc:

user posted image

1600 x 1144, 216kB.

Edited by Cerbera

tonywob
When I tried opening my install of Myriad Islands for GTAVC, I got this:

user posted image

529 x 923, 77.5kB.

In case it might be to do with the contents of the file, you can get my "illcomsub.ipl" file here. I had loaded up GTA3, didn't display any files, then closed the editor. I started the editor again, selected this install of GTAVC, and this error occurred whilst loading.

I closed all the error messages, started the editor again, selected the same install, and it loaded up fine with correct colouring, lighting, etc:

user posted image

1600 x 1144, 216kB.

None of your links work, seems strange. I tested this a while back. If you can fix the links I can have a look at the error. Thanks

wauzie

Every time i try to load a IPL....the tool crashes, in normal GTA's (sa) and modded gta's.....

Maybe you need this info, i've got a ATI redeon 9200 video cart....

user posted image

Eclipse_nl

Good work. It works good. I've onely some problems with the SHIFT-key. The view won't move faster when I hold the key.

Some tips:

*Maybe you can make a function for selecting more GTA's instead of one.

*A "Select All" option. When you select it, he will load all IPL's. Very handy for taking overview screenshots or something.

*Maybe a small tweak for the item browser. Now you've to click on a name to see the object on the screen. Could you make that you onely have to highligt the item to see the object on the screen. With that edit you can browse very fast trough the object with the UP and DOWN arrow.

Maybe more tips in the future... smile.gif

GT.Killer

Really good editor! i love it but there is 2 big "problems"

1. moving in map sucks a lot!! it would be great if you could make same kind of moving like in moo mapper!

2. object draging with mouse sucks too, it's only messing things..

Edited by GT.Killer

tonywob

@wauzie

Couple of questions for you?

Does it crash when you load GTA III or Vice City?

Have you modified GTA San Andreas in anyway?

Is there a download available so I can test this myself?

@eclipse_nl

Yes, I still need to map the shift key for some of the actions. A select all option would be a pretty bad idea since loading the whole San Andreas map would kill your computer. It can just about manage all of Vice City.

@gt_killer

Thanks for the comments, can you be a bit more specific. What is it about moving around the map don't you like, is it too slow?.

As I've mentioned in the readme, Item Dragging doesn't work to well. It is extremely difficult to do, I've tried various methods and this one seems to work. If anyone knows a better way of doing it then please let me know!

As a matter of taste, I found the way MooMapper handled moving the map annoying. I could easily switch to that method, but I'll wait for more feedback for this.

Edited by tonywob

tony_fish

OMG!!!

I've been waiting so long for a tool like this for San Andreas.

Huge respect for who ever who made this.

THANKS!!! happy.gif

Kurropt Antagonist

*bows*

Thank you, tonywob. And congratulations on a terrific looking program. I'm going to download and test immediately. biggrin.gif

Fireman

WOh it's great good job I'll only be using it to view the objects though since I don't want to spend 5 minutes to learn how it works smile.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcatloaf_by_anuj.gifcatloaf_by_anuj.gifrah.gif-Slurp Slurp, Hmmm... Sprunk!

wauzie
@wauzie

Couple of questions for you?

Does it crash when you load GTA III or Vice City?

Have you modified GTA San Andreas in anyway?

Is there a download available so I can test this myself?

Sorry, i don't have vice or gta III on this pc (i had to format my pc).....i tested your tool on a normal and modded gta, and sorry...that mod isn't released yet....you can expect it this month.

tonywob

With Myriad Islands, I noticed the following things were causing the application to crash:

the cpbuild.dff object had 327000 textures in one material, causing the program to crash. (Object also refused to load in MooMapper). I have added more checking to the DFF loader to prevent this.

user posted image

Myriad Islands does now load.

Some of the IPL files didn't have interior flags. I wasn't aware that Vice City could do this, so I've corrected the program to pick this up.

Alot of the objects in the STREETSIGNS.IDE file e.g. stmunkfish.sgn says that the object count is 2, when the actual 3D Model only has one object. This again caused some weird results. Rather than changing these, I have told the program to ignore it.

Quite a few of the objects or textures wouldn't load, for various reasons. Things like the FaceCount had a few more faces than there actually where, etc. Again, I don't see there is much I can do about this without slowing the program down even more. (Sorry!!). So these objects are again ignored.

I had no problems at all with the San Andreas Myriad Islands Base Land

user posted image

The image archiver I am adding to the program was able to add all objects into the archiver (So at least its working correctly and fast now).

I've decided to call the program MEd, short for MapEditor based on a suggestion from Cerbera. Its easy to say and reference in forums.

Fixed the shift key problem when moving up and down.

Just a few other things. If you post a bug report can you include your system specs, e.g. Your graphics card and OS. Also, if you are using a custom mod, then can you tell me where I can get the mod from so I can debug the program.

GT.Killer

@gt_killer

Thanks for the comments, can you be a bit more specific. What is it about moving around the map don't you like, is it too slow?.

As I've mentioned in the readme, Item Dragging doesn't work to well. It is extremely difficult to do, I've tried various methods and this one seems to work. If anyone knows a better way of doing it then please let me know!

As a matter of taste, I found the way MooMapper handled moving the map annoying. I could easily switch to that method, but I'll wait for more feedback for this.

Well the item draging is allways moving the item little a bit when you select it.

And its very annoying because i allways move some objects by accidentally, that i was not supposed to move.

i suggest that you make a button that enables and disables the mouse item draging if its possible!

Moving in the map is kind of "laggy" because you cant move like in steve-m's map viewer (a,s,d,w).

i suggest again that you make moving like in steve's map viewer!

or moo mapper!

ParoXum

I tested your wonderful program tonywob and I love it ! biggrin.gif

I have tested with my map mod and everything was ok, no bugs, I've only noticed that when moving an object or modifing it properties (position, rotation, etc...) that the 3d view refreshes all the tiime during draging and it's impossible to see where you're moving the object exactly. I don't know if it is a part of the program or a bug because of my graphic card. I just wanted to say it here if it was a bug.

Thanks, here's some cookies cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

Apart from that, tested with orriginal SA and my modified one smile.gif

Edited by diabolyX

wauzie

I discovered something....the tool crashes when i use a function....but when i dissable the textures, everything works. I can remember i had a lot of problems with this video cart when i used the moomapper....all my models (and vc models) were white, a newer version fixed that....maybe this info will help.

user posted image

Edit:

It also crashes when i want to check the IDE....

user posted image

Edited by wauzie

JernejL

With Myriad Islands, I noticed the following things were causing the application to crash:

the cpbuild.dff object had 327000 textures in one material, causing the program to crash. (Object also refused to load in MooMapper). I have added more checking to the DFF loader to prevent this.

Some of the IPL files didn't have interior flags. I wasn't aware that Vice City could do this, so I've corrected the program to pick this up.

Alot of the objects in the STREETSIGNS.IDE file e.g. stmunkfish.sgn says that the object count is 2, when the actual 3D Model only has one object. This again caused some weird results. Rather than changing these, I have told the program to ignore it.

Quite a few of the objects or textures wouldn't load, for various reasons. Things like the FaceCount had a few more faces than there actually where, etc. Again, I don't see there is much I can do about this without slowing the program down even more. (Sorry!!). So these objects are again ignored.

For the 327000 textures fault, this is a bug in your renderware model loader, the number is NOT UINT32, it is TWO INT16s, the first two bytes are something unknown (maybe look into moomapper sources), and the last 2 bytes are the actual texture count, and from 327000 (58FD0400) you get 58FD of unknown data and 0400 actual texture count, so i guess you will just have to change this since this is how renderware works (also see the same file with steve's RWanalyse program).

this above also applies to texture count in txds and more other sections of renderware files.

Edited by Delfi

tonywob

@delfi

I have had a look at the file in rwanalyze and it has loads of headers called N/A Objects which are not present in other dff files. Also the Mesh section is part of the MaterialList as opposed to being at the end of it. This is what caused a problem. Does this section serve any purpose, and which utility was used to create the file. Should I be worried about it?

@wauzie

Enabling the wireframe mode causes the program to crash, seems weird. MooMapper is the same on my machine, all objects in GTA III are rendered white due to a missing opengl extension on my card. This is rendered in software as was the newer versions of MooMapper modified by Delfi. I've tried to reproduce the crash, but failed. I'll need to add a debugging log into the application, so I can try and figure out what is going on ??

@diabolyX

I'm glad it works well with San Andreas and your modified installation smile.gif. I think I have found what might be causing a flicker on your card, and I have changed it. Which card do you have by the way?

@GT.Killer

I agree about the item dragging, I have added a checkbox so you can disable editing, in case you just want to have a look around. I've identified the problem with objects moving, it's the Rotation Calculations, basically, converting to quaternion to euler loses a bit of the floating point values, and object appears to move slightly. Clicking Undo, or Cancel should return it back into position. Again, I am looking at ways of improving item dragging, but it is a little bit above me at the moment confused.gif. As requested, I have added the controls MapViewer uses (a, s, d, w), and I have remapped Up And Down to (R and T). I have also smoothed it out, so it navigates the same now. Thanks, it does work better smile.gif

Couple of other suggestions that have been mentioned are being worked on.:

* The ability to remember all of your GTA installations.

* Making the Item Chooser faster to navigate.

I'll upload a newer version in a few days.

Gforce
and which utility was used to create the file. Should I be worried about it?

given that the file is part of the Myriad Islands project and has the correct prelighting for the mod, it is highly likely that the file was exported from 3DS Max 3.1 using the dff exporter that has been available for some time, there is a link to the max script used on the forums here somewhere.

i haven't had the chance to test this tool yet but from the post's and screens ive seen as ive followed your progress this is looking good biggrin.gif thanks for all your hard work, this tool is a very welcome addition to existing tools for every gta modder cookie.gifcookie.gif

steve-m
@delfi

I have had a look at the file in rwanalyze and it has loads of headers called N/A Objects which are not present in other dff files. Also the Mesh section is part of the MaterialList as opposed to being at the end of it. This is what caused a problem. Does this section serve any purpose, and which utility was used to create the file. Should I be worried about it?

These N/A sections are shown when the section ID is zero, what is basically an error. RWA parses RW files strictly hierarchical, but the problem is that especially the old exporter often sets wrong sizes for certain sections, what of course confuses the parser. That public version of RWA is quite old, it might be that I already did some more optimizations to parse such files better, if you want I can send you the latest build.

That's also the reason why my Map Viewer doesn't render some objects in MI, like Odie's skyscrapers.

JernejL
That's also the reason why my Map Viewer doesn't render some objects in MI, like Odie's skyscrapers.

odie reexported his models before his death when i told him about the error, and those new exported files seem to work fine, not sure where he put up the downloads but i have files on my hdd and i can upload them.

BenMillard

Here's a rough mockup of how you might change the startup prompt to alllow multiple installs:

user posted image

541 x 436, 39.4kB.

The buttons for Add... and Edit... would bring up a small window where the user could specify the title of that install and set its path. The small window would have OK and Cancel buttons and should be resizable so that the entire path can be viewed.

The main list would be empty the first time MEd is run as there are no items. The only buttons which would be enabled are the Add... and Cancel buttons. You could even have the list disabled if there are no items in it. MEd should always check if there are items in the list when it runs and enable the buttons accordingly, remembering to enable or disable the movement buttons. You might highlight the item which the user started the program with the last time they ran it?

When the user selects an item, you could run the code to check if the install really is there. If it is there, your "GTA* found." message is good. If it is not found, an error message like "GTA* not found." might suffice. Exclamation marks are generally annoying in program interfaces, especially for complicated programs.

Would you please use a med.ini file for your settings? Many people have *.cfg files associated with a handling editor, so the program settings will open will try to open in that by default. tounge.gif By naming it to match the EXE, people can have several programs in the same folder without them overwriting each other's settings file. It also makes it clearer what program owns that settings file.

The Move Up/Down buttons move the selected item up or down by one item within the list. When the first item is selected, you should disable the Move Up button and when the last item is selected, you should disable the Move Down button. The Remove button is fairly self-explanatory but you'll have to check if all items have been removed. You may need write code to select the nearest existing item after removing an item, otherwise the user has to click back in the list to continue operations. Remember to disable the relevant Move Up/Down button if the item you select after a removal is at the start or end.

I find updating form controls is easiest to manage by creating a Sub UpdateControls() procedure which checks everything and updates the buttons. You can then use a simple Call UpdateControls at the end of any event which will require the controls to be updated. smile.gif

I'm sure you'll figure out a neater way of doing it when you get time.

Edited by Cerbera

Supdario

YESSSSSSSSS biggrin.gif

Finally Released!! inlove.gif

Eclipse_nl
I made a tutorial for MEd. You learn to make a basic map. smile.gif

Supdario
I made a tutorial for MEd. You learn to make a basic map. smile.gif

Good Work....

But I know how to map with this smile.gif

BTW Sometimes the tool crashes... confused.gif

wiredwizardz

Tony A few suggestions if they can be added into your editor. After playing with if for a total of 2 hours I thought of some things that would be a nice addition in the future.

1. Instead of having to choose all the IPL files individualy an option to select them all at once would be nice.

2 A serch function would be cool as well especially if a person already knows the name of the file they want to edit

3. Import/Export

4. Faster scrolling

5 ability to use the arrow keys to navigate

Right now thats all that I can think of I am sure If I had probably read a little instead of diving right into the program I would have probably not needed to make these suggestions I don't know but after work I will be using your editor some more. Great work by the way and please don't take my suggestions as negative criticisim.

Wiz sign-thompson.gif

tonywob

@Eclipse_nl

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I will add a link to this on the download link.

@cerbera

Thanks for the tip, I've implemented your ideas.

user posted imageuser posted image

Hope this helps people manage their multiple modded installs smile.gif

@steve-m

A couple of other models in Myriad Islands were like this, as you said, I noticed one of the skyscrapers was missing. If I run into anymore trouble then your newer rwAnalyze tool would be extremely useful. Thanks

@Supdario

Please could you post how you got the program to crash. Include your PC configuration and what you were doing at the time. This software is still a very early release, so bare with me. There are hundreds of different possibilities that I haven't tested confused.gif.

I've also added support for Binary IPL editing. Works well, but I am going to test it fully before releasing it, 'cause its pretty dangerous if it fails. I've tried mapping the arrows keys to the controls but the window manager for the treeviews will not release control, no matter how hard I try sad.gif. If I can find a way, I will. The image archiver is also coming along well, and hopefully will be added into the next release along with a search feature.

I'm having the weekend off, so I'll get to work again probably Monday. Please continue to post bug reports. Thanks