3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
torn_skin

Vehicle Handling Flags

torn_skin

I'm not sure whether this should go into the Troubleshooting, or here in the Vehicles discussion area, so I'll post it here since it pertains specifically to the handling of vehicles..

Has anyone made a tutorial, or atleast a list of the different flag settings vehicles can use in the handling.cfg file? Like a chart or description anyway to give a basic or general idea of what flags do what for the different cars.

If anyone can help please, it'd be greatly appreciated. Also, if this would be more suitable in another forum, can a mod please move it for me? Thank you all.

M14a-Mclaren

Lol, I just came on here to ask the exact same thing, about editing handling.cfg and vehicles.ide like wheel size and what not, also wanted to know how to change the default wheels on cars to other default wheels, eg change the wheels on the bobcat to the ones on the cheetah.

Suction Testicle Man

From handling.cfg:

; (af) modelFlags!!!  WARNING - Now written HEX for easier reading of flags;;	1st digit	1: IS_VAN  	2: IS_BUS  	4: IS_LOW    8: IS_BIG;	2nd digit	1: REVERSE_BONNET	2: HANGING_BOOT  4: TAILGATE_BOOT  8: NOSWING_BOOT;	3rd digit	1: NO_DOORS  	2: TANDEM_SEATS  4: SIT_IN_BOAT  	8: CONVERTIBLE;	4th digit	1: NO_EXHAUST  2: DOUBLE_EXHAUST	4: NO1FPS_LOOK_BEHIND	8: FORCE_DOOR_CHECK;	5th digit	1: AXLE_F_NOTILT	2: AXLE_F_SOLID  4: AXLE_F_MCPHERSON  8: AXLE_F_REVERSE;	6th digit	1: AXLE_R_NOTILT	2: AXLE_R_SOLID  4: AXLE_R_MCPHERSON  8: AXLE_R_REVERSE;	7th digit	1: IS_BIKE  	2: IS_HELI  	4: IS_PLANE    8: IS_BOAT;	8th digit	1: BOUNCE_PANELS	2: DOUBLE_RWHEELS	4: FORCE_GROUND_CLEARANCE	8: IS_HATCHBACK;; (ag) handlingFlags - written in HEX;;	1st digit	1: 1G_BOOST  	2: 2G_BOOST  	4: NPC_ANTI_ROLL  8: NPC_NEUTRAL_HANDL;	2nd digit	1: NO_HANDBRAKE  2: STEER_REARWHEELS 4: HB_REARWHEEL_STEER	8: ALT_STEER_OPT;	3rd digit	1: WHEEL_F_NARROW2	2: WHEEL_F_NARROW	4: WHEEL_F_WIDE  	8: WHEEL_F_WIDE2;	4th digit	1: WHEEL_R_NARROW2	2: WHEEL_R_NARROW	4: WHEEL_R_WIDE  	8: WHEEL_R_WIDE2;	5th digit	1: HYDRAULIC_GEOM  2: HYDRAULIC_INST	4: HYDRAULIC_NONE  8: NOS_INST;	6th digit	1: OFFROAD_ABILITY	2: OFFROAD_ABILITY2	4: HALOGEN_LIGHTS  8: PROC_REARWHEEL_1ST;	7th digit	1: USE_MAXSP_LIMIT	2: LOW_RIDER  4: STREET_RACER;	8th digit	1: SWINGING_CHASSIS

Here is an example flag line from the stallion, columns af and ag:

2800 4

The flags are written in hex, so are formed backwards. The 2800 is the af column, and the 4 is the ag, but the '1st digit' (as the key calls it) is in fact 0 for the af column, and 4 for the ag column. So for the af column, the 3rd and 4th digits are '8' and '2' respectively. Once you get that, you can match them up to the key.

So for af, the first digit is 0, so the car isn't a van, a bus, a lowrider or a 'big' vehicle. 0 is the value you use so the game registers the 1st digit as being accounted for, but won't apply a flag.

Thus, we can work out the af settings for the Stallion. The first 2 digits are 0, so none of those possible flags are applied. 3rd digit is 8. This applies the 'convertible' flag to the car, which means CJ will jump over the door when he gets into an open-top variation of the Stallion. The 4th digit is 2, which applies the double exhaust flag to the Stallion, so it has two functioning exhaust pipes. Past this setting, the Stallion doesn't need any more flags, so no more flags have to be accounted for by a 0. However you could make it 00002800 and the af line would still be valid (all 8 possible flag settings are accounted for).

The ag column has only one digit in it, 4, but other handling lines for cars will have as many digits as the Stallion's af column in their ag column. As there is only one number, this is logically taken as the 1st digit, with no more digits afterwards (though again, it could be 00000004 and be valid). The 4 makes the car have NPC_NEUTRAL_HANDL enabled, which I believe affects normal pedestrian handling for the Stallion when th eplayer isn't the one driving.

You may notice however that with the way things are working, you can't have a convertible car with no doors, as they are handled by the same flag (3rd digit of af). However, all you need to do is add the two settings together, and make 9. This would be your 3rd digit to have both those setting enabled. Obviously you can't enter a 10, 11 or 12 for numerically higher possibilities, but this is written in hex. '10' is represented by 'A', '11' is represented by 'B' and so on, upwards.

Now you have a grasp of the way the flags work, and how hex is written, we can move onto creating your own flag lines for your own cars.

Let's take some typical settings from all available options that you may want;

REVERSE_BONNET, DOUBLE_EXHAUST, FORCE_DOOR_CHECK, DOUBLE_RWHEELS, 2G_BOOST, NO_HANDBRAKE, OFFROAD_ABILITY2, HALOGEN_LIGHTS, PROC_REARWHEEL_1ST

Now we set about applying these. The first 4 are catered for by the af column, so we go through the list of options adding up the number sum where applicable. 1st digit has none of the options we want, so we make it 0. 2nd digit has our reverse bonnet option at 1, so we take that and make 1 our 2nd digit. 3rd digit has no settings we want, so it becomes 0. 4th digit has two of our wanted settings, at 2 and 8. So we add these together to make 10, and represent that with A. So far we have A010. The final option held with the af column is double_rhweels, which is accounted for by the 8th digit with a 2. So we make all digits up to the last 0, and we have this as our final af column:

2000A010

You do the same work-through process for the ag column, and you end up with:

D00012, or 00D00012

I hope that makes sense.

M14a-Mclaren

I hope that makes sense.

To be honest, no

A detailed by someone with experiance tuning would be good.

BenMillard

STM, that's a *bit* too complicated for newbies, imho. Even I grimace at the prospect of trying to work out flag data manually, which is why I made a program to do it for me. smile.gif

Get yourselves the latest version of CFG Studio and you can double-click any flag data cell to display a checklist of the features it can have. Tick the ones you want, untick the ones you don't want, then press Return or Enter. Click File > Save and load up the game.

For a short description about all the flags I know about, check my GTASA Handling Definition, which contains all the flags. Some of the descriptions are "Needs testing" because the guide is not fully complete, yet. My site has lots of tutorials and guides which can help you create your own handling.

This is how it looks:

user posted image

640 x 480 - 81.0kB.

There's a load more screenshots of different parts of it in the CFG Studio topic I linked to at the start.

Suction Testicle Man

Ah come on, it's not that hard. rolleyes.gif

But then again I don't like using any tool other than IMG Tool and notepad when modding, so I need to know such stuff.

Ko-Gar

STM, it may not have helped the poster, but it sure helps me biggrin.gif I have been trying to figure out the SA Flags, without much success, and this makes it quite clear for me. I am one of the "Old School" who only uses notepad to mod with also... cool.gif

BenMillard

Actually, I'm the "old school" and I learnt a long time ago that Notepad sucks! tounge.gif

Seriously, it's crap. Columns aren't aligned with each other so you have to try and figure out the column from the values being used, or count the gaps as you scroll across. The column headers aren't aligned with the column data, so you have to try and count the number of colum headers and match that to the column you are in manually. When you scroll vertically, the column headers fall off the edge of the screen so you have to scroll back up to see where you are working.

When you scroll horizontally, the vehicle identifier falls off the edge of the screen so you have to scroll back to the left edge to check you are modding the correct vehicle, then scroll back to where you were working. If you want to swap to a different vehicle, you also have to scroll back to the left edge, look for the vehicle identifier you want, then scroll back over to where you were working.

There's no way to sort the rows unless it do it by hand, which would take bloody ages with the 211 rows of standard data, 13 rows of boat data, 14 rows of bike data, 25 rows of flying data and 31 rows of animation data. You can't "Go To" a specific column or row of data. You can't easily switch between the standard data and special data for a vehicle in Notepad because all the data is lumped on one screen, so you have to keep scrolling back and forth between them.

There's no "Recent Files" list in Notepad. There's no backup system. There's no way to "Bookmark" files you want to use frequently, so you either have to use the clumsy little "File > Open" dialogue to navigate to the file you want, or you have to open Windows Explorer, go to the folder, then drag and drop the file you want. In CFG Studio, you can create a bookmark for any file and then it's just a case of clicking the "Bookmarks" menu and selecting the file you want to open.

There's no simple way to calculate flag data, you have to do bit-by-bit binary addition, then convert it to byte-by-byte hexadecimal in your head. You have to scroll from the vehicle you are working on up to the mis-aligned legend at the top of the file to see what features are in each flag and what value they add on. In tools like CFG Studio, you can add the flags you want by ticking the box next to their name from the drop-down checklist.

INIPad, MIS Pad, MooMapper, Ehsan's Path Builder, Ked, Collision scripts and now CFG Studio show that purpose-built tools are better than Notepad for text data files, imho.

Edited by Cerbera

M14a-Mclaren

Is there a handling editor, or vehicle editor if you will that explains what each field does.

BenMillard

Is there a handling editor, or vehicle editor if you will that explains what each field does.

How about this post? There's a handling editor with simplified column names. And the post links to a web page which gives a brief explanation of what all the settings do.

Edited by Cerbera

torn_skin

Actually both STM and Cerbera helped out immensely. STM answered what I needed in great detail, and Cerbera has provided some really awesome tools to use. Thank you both for helping out.

Sorry for such a late thank you, due to the hurricanes hitting the Gulf we've been out of power for a week.

MEGAMIND

hello im new here can i ask that can we have two flags together in a car using maxo vehicle loader

like in gta vc tank has flags <extraflags>40</extraflags> , and a taxi has <extraflags>2000</extraflags> ao can we add them both like  <extraflags>20040</extraflags> but if i do this the car doesnt jump like taxi boost