3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Kiwisdofly

The Differences Between Versions

Kiwisdofly

I searched and searched but couldn't find a thread like this, so I thought it would be fun to list all the differences between PC/Xbox and the original PS2 version. But I need your help guys as I've only been playing the PC version for only about five days now (I own the PS2 version since December 2004).

Items marked with "(?)" means I'm not certain about it.

- PC/Xbox has cardboard cut-outs of CJ and a bear at various Ammunation stores.

- EAX Advanced HD support (DUH!) + 5.1 Dolby (?) [PC]

- Drivers are now more aggressive, they get out of their cars more often (to beat the crap out of you) and, if you really smash into them, they will chase you to death.

- Some guns sound completely different, more "beefy" (Pistol especially). Though it could be EAX Adv HD working it's magic smile.gif

- More tuning options. Particular thing I've noticed is that "Voodoo"-look-alike convertable low-rider now has an option to put a roof up (hard-top or soft-top). "Slamin'" bumper design looks completely different.

- Easier gang-wars. Althouth it could just be my leet gangsta skills, but taking turf from Ballas was a lot easier than it did in PS2. [?]

- View Distance is increased.

- Dynamic shadows and more grass, especially on Very High detail setting (all the way, baby!)

- New and improved model for bycicles [?]

- New clothes. (San Andreas cap?) [?]

- Higher chance of seeing "full" cars - with more than one person. I can see cars with three or four passengers more often.

- Thunderstorms are better. You can see flashes in clouds and it looks like the sound is improved.

- Music quality is higher, much higher [?]

- 2-player mode removed [PC]

- Easier to meet enemy gang members in their territory.

- Improved textures, especially around the rural areas.

- "Colour Haze" effect removed.

- Shady Industries in Easter Basin was changed to Solarin Industries.

-In the PC and Xbox version, the San Fierro tatoo parlour has San Fierro tattoes. In the PS2 version, it was hidden and you need to get there thru blue hell or somthing. (PS2 SF parlour was the same as LS ones)

- The PC version has better looking road textures.

- PC(and Xbox i think) has more "objects". Example, Grove street for the PC (mabye Xbox) versions have alot of things like boxes, trees, garbage bags, etc. The PS2 version doesent.

- Xbox and PC versions have a 30 second replay.

- On pc, the 'noises' when entertining a prostitute have been taken out.

- You cant complete the vigilante missions by doing the 'cheating' way, that being entering interiors and staying in them for 30 seconds. you could do so in the ps2 version.

- Loading times are much faster in PC and XBox. I think the XBox actually shows the text "Loading" when loading something. And it's a whole lot easier to mod a PC and XBox than the PS2.

- The unmarked Pay n' Spray in Camel's Toe, LV no longer paints cars or drops you into gray hell.

- The disc images are changed, on my original PS2 copy it has the girl and on my PC version it has Officer Tenpenny. The posters are also different on PS2 it has alot of various images seperated with black borders, and on PC it has Officer Tenpenny on it.

- On the Xbox copy when you drive underneath the steetlights the lights don't show up on the top of any vehicle. They still show up on C.J. himself so I'm guessing a accidental "Monday" accident in the porting.

- Less reflections compared to PS2 [?]

- The very fast bike...err I NRJ? Anyway, it now has writing on the tires and improved model.

- Dismemberment is limited to head only.

- New challanges in driving school. [?]

Thanks go to Spaceeinstein, Original Gangster, Tommy Vercetty Guy, Mxyzptlk, xox_vanzant_xox, RCagent and Opius.

Edited by Kiwisdofly

RCagent

I'm not sure about Xbox, but the complete "COLOR HAZE" effect has been removed from the PC version. Although to me, this is a hit and loss thing. I love the Haze Effect in the ps2 version only in the desert. (Everything Was lighted Blue, and the sky made everything look awesome.) But the downfall was that this haze effect gave everything in Los Santos a orange glow.

Oh and what new car?

The only car that I have seen that my cousin has never seen in the Ps2 version in the PC version was the "BUS" which looks like a complete alternate version of a Coach. To find one of those things is pretty uncommon and i found mine in the desert.

Wolf68k

Since it covers and requires input from all 3, wouldn't this be better in the SA General Discussion?

GTA3Freak-2001

Yeah there was no new vehicles added to the game, apart form that most of them sound right.

Also this would be better in Gen SA Chat.

Kiwisdofly

List updated. You guys got any more?

krnjun

Its really unfair for the people that has the PS2 version which is me and some other human out there.

Kiwisdofly

Well, I have the PS2 version, and oddly I don't feel offended...

*hugs his PC copy*

Mxyzptlk

Shady Industries in Easter Basin was changed to Solarin Industries after PS2 version.

original gangster
Shady Industries in Easter Basin was changed to Solarin Industries after PS2 version.

i noticed this...any idea why?

Mxyzptlk

i noticed this...any idea why?

Maybe Rockstar got grief from Eminem's record label? I don't have any clue.

original gangster

they probably removed it incase that happened. *yet they find it fine to leave hot coffe in.... dozingoff.gif *

watchcap

Gang wars aren't easier on the xbox, it is just a greater character draw distance or something like that, so you can see them comming and mow them all down with an m4 or 20 sniper rounds.

Mxyzptlk

1) The unmarked Pay n' Spray in Camel's Toe, LV no longer paints cars or drops you into gray hell.

2) Xbox and PC versions don't play on PS2. tounge.gif

Edited by Mxyzptlk

tommy vercetti guy

-In the PC and Xbox version, the San Fierro tatoo parlour has San Fierro tattoes. In the PS2 version, it was hidden and you need to get there thru blue hell or somthing. (PS2 SF parlour was the same as LS ones)

-The PC version has better looking road textures.

-PC(and Xbox i think) has more "objects". Example, Grove street for the PC (mabye Xbox) versions have alot of things like boxes, trees, garbage bags, etc. The PS2 version doesent.

- xbox and PC versions have a 30 second replay.

original gangster

-on pc, the 'noises' when entertining a prostitute have been taken out.

-you cant complete the vigilante missions by doing the 'cheating' way, that being entering interiors and staying in them for 30 seconds. you could do so in the ps2 version.

Edited by original gangster

spaceeinstein
*yet they find it fine to leave hot coffe in.... dozingoff.gif *

Hot Coffee was never in the game. Hot Coffee is mod. The minigame is in the game.

Loading times are much faster in PC and XBox. I think the XBox actually shows the text "Loading" when loading something. And it's a whole lot easier to mod a PC and XBox than the PS2.

RCagent

Vehicle Reflections.

PS2= Full "World" Reflections

PC= a Standard "moving" image Reflection texture (WTF?) + Specular Highlight

Xbox= No Reflections at ALL + Specular Highlight

Opius

PS2 didn't have environment maps. It just used both high-blend reflection maps and specularity.

FuriKuriIro

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is more than one US PS2 version of the game? (like the original launch, and haitian friendly GTAVC versions.)

If so, can anyone provide UPC barcode numbers to distinguish between versions?

Same with the US XBOX version if possible. Thanks.

Vanzant

On the Xbox copy when you drive underneath the steetlights the lights don't show up on the top of any vehicle. They still show up on C.J. himself so I'm guessing a accidental "Monday" accident in the porting.

I did'nt see this but il just add it anyway the blur effects are toned down on the Xbox as well.

No one mentioned custom soundtracks either a big plus to me as I have like 200 GTA themed music tracks to rage with.

Another huge difference is controlabilty (if thats even a work LOL) The controls on Xbox are a bit edgy unless you have a PS2 controller converter.

Simon.
The disc images are changed, on my original PS2 copy it has the girl and on my PC version it has Officer Tenpenny. The posters are also different on PS2 it has alot of various images seperated with black borders, and on PC it has Officer Tenpenny on it. The start of the PC version is also thinned down compared to PS2.

TheManJordo

thats nice, no need for it though

Kiwisdofly

List updated.

Anything else left?

CrissRiot

WHy the hell would they take out the sounds when you pick up a prostitute outta the pc version alone? lol Thats stupid

Mister Pinkerton
I played the Xbox version and in the replay there's no blood. And CJ is in a stance when he falls of buildings in the replay. Is this just in my mates copy or is it in all Xbox/PC versions?

glenster

The PS2 method of raising C.J.'s weapon Stats quicker by having him shoot at a tire doesn't work for PC (?).

The basketballs appear at the start of the PS2 version but don't appear in the PC version till after "Tagging Up Turf."

kingvercetti
I played the Xbox version and in the replay there's no blood. And CJ is in a stance when he falls of buildings in the replay. Is this just in my mates copy or is it in all Xbox/PC versions?

No, it happens on all XBox versions, plus, if you change position on a bike (Like leaning forwards) its really edgy. And no, there isnt any blood or sparks in replays.

RvdVit
IN THE PC VERSION, you can enter the SFPD building.

sean "sweet" johnson
you can go faster on motorcycles on the PC version.

samatkinz

Does anyone know if there were any changes to the second edition of the PS2 version (the one that comes with an extra dvd), besides the removal of hot coffee code? for example, the name change to shady industries or more aggressive peds, etc.