MTV

Dr_Shark

There are probably a lot of topics disscussing the cons of MTV. Therefor I made this topic just to share your opinions and criticisms. Here are major reasons why I hate MTV.

I'm really worried about how much of an influence MTV is. I'm only 14, but I can already see what it's doing to everyone, specifically teenagers.

One primary example is the racial criticisms that MTV recieves bacuse all their VJs were white. So what do they do? They throw in some Korean chick and claim that they are "diversed."

Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, New Found Glory and all those sh*t bands that MTV says are true "punk" bands. Everyday when I walk down the halls I see abercrombie jocks claiming that they're "punk" because they listen to Good Charlotte. Are teens these days that sad to let some opinions of a major American Coporate Network brainwash them? What about the real punk bands like NOFX, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, The Unseen, etc. People only listen to bands that are famous on MTV. mad.gif

They almost ruined Green Day

Since so much shows are about partying or the lastest Hollister fahions, there's no more room for Music Videos. So what does MTV do? They make MTV2 and dump them all there.

They brainwash highschoolers that if you're not rich, white, wear cool clothes, or don't belong to a clique, then you're nothing.

Laguna Beach

Telling that California is all tropical and "hott" but really there's more ghetto than glitz.

AND FINALLY.....

TAKING DARIA OFF THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cryani.gif

Feel free to add on

Kained But Able

Testify Brother!

The music industry is one corupt mother f*cker you know. There are 5 major world record labels that own every other major label... so as you can see they have quite a monopoly on the whole thing and can afford to pay channels like MTV to play their material and no one else's. Same goes for radio, especially in the US they actually pay radio stations not to play independant artists, how nice of them.

Anyway point being here is if you wanna find good bands forget MTV, forget the radio, get searching the ole net for some independant material.

And just to add to your punk comment... although the bands you listed are pretty decent bands, I've seen them live and they were f*cking awesome there even more underground punk bands kicking there ass.

I completly agree with you shark. MTV has blow since the original Headbangers Ball got canned. It's back now, but it's filled with nu metal trash.

And all the bands you mentioned suck ass. And Green Day has always been sh*t.

I completly agree with you shark. MTV has blow since the original Headbangers Ball got canned. It's back now, but it's filled with nu metal trash.

And all the bands you mentioned suck ass. And Green Day has always been sh*t.

I thought the new Headbangers Ball is decent from time to time, or did I hear wrong? I heard something about Dave Mustaine being on there anyway.

user posted image

Fuzzknuckles

Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, New Found Glory and all those sh*t bands that MTV says are true "punk" bands. Everyday when I walk down the halls I see abercrombie jocks claiming that they're "punk" because they listen to Good Charlotte. Are teens these days that sad to let some opinions of a major American Coporate Network brainwash them? What about the real punk bands like NOFX, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, The Unseen, etc. People only listen to bands that are famous on MTV. mad.gif

Bwahahahahahahah!

Jesus christ kid.

What about the REAL real punk bands, like Husker Du, the Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and all the bands tha came ooooohhhhh 15/20 years before the tripe you just mentioned. You know, before MTV was even taken seriously and churned out guff like Motley Crue all day.

You have already been affected by MTV my man. It's too late for you.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

Bwahahahahahahah!

Jesus christ kid.

What about the REAL real punk bands, like Husker Du, the Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and all the bands tha came ooooohhhhh 15/20 years before the tripe you just mentioned. You know, before MTV was even taken seriously and churned out guff like Motley Crue all day.

I also listen to some old punk, just not as much as modern. Velvet Underground, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc.

Keep in mind we all have different tastes.

SloStenRacing
The big questions are:

Why does MTV love their new audience so much?

Why do they like showing sex all over the place?

Why do they love pissing people like me off?

Why the f*ck did they purposely ruin themselves?

F*ck rap. F*ck today's 'punk'. F*ck MTV. And leave with a smile on your face. smile.gif

While I agree with everything you said I can answer all four of your questions with one statement ... Because it sells.

The big questions are:

F*ck rap. F*ck today's 'punk'. F*ck MTV. And leave with a smile on your face. smile.gif

While I agree with everything you said I can answer all four of your questions with one statement ... Because it sells.

You can thank 12 year old teenie bopper girls for that.

MTV is f*cking huge. Even if everyone were going to stop watching MTV, they'd still get paid from us watching things on Cartoon Network and TBS. It's amazing how large their f*cking network is.

My biggest problem with MTV is that they had exclusive rights to show Pink Floyd's set at Live 8, and they cut out in the middle to one of their stupid f*cking VJs. They don't disgrace music like that, unless you're MTV.

Personally, I havne't watched MTV for so long, i can't really comment accurately on what kind of effect it has on young people, but I'm really not that sure anyone takes it seirously. Mostly everyone I know f*cking hates MTV, including naive retards that would have sh*tty musical taste anyway.

The reason they're still around, is because they're f*cking huge. They have all sorts of other channles that they can get ratings for, they put out movies that get very good results, they have merchandise... They're just huge, and they're going to keep getting huge.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

They did more than ruin Green Day, I can hardly bare to listen to them anymore. Their music would be good and i would want to hear more if they played a song say like......once a week, HA.

not every time i flip a channel for goodness sakes.

There are probably a lot of topics disscussing the cons of MTV. Therefor I made this topic just to share your opinions and criticisms. Here are major reasons why I hate MTV.

I'm really worried about how much of an influence MTV is. I'm only 14, but I can already see what it's doing to everyone, specifically teenagers.

One primary example is the racial criticisms that MTV recieves bacuse all their VJs were white. So what do they do? They throw in some Korean chick and claim that they are "diversed."

They almost ruined Green Day

Since so much shows are about partying or the lastest Hollister fahions, there's no more room for Music Videos. So what does MTV do? They make MTV2 and dump them all there.

They brainwash highschoolers that if you're not rich, white, wear cool clothes, or don't belong to a clique, then you're nothing.

Laguna Beach

Telling that California is all tropical and "hott" but really there's more ghetto than glitz.

AND FINALLY.....

TAKING DARIA OFF THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cryani.gif

Feel free to add on

Psh, what about today's REAL punk bands like Aus-Rotten, Avskum, Behind Enemy Lines, Resist and Exist?!

Trueno_Drifter86

I don't whatch MTV mainly becuase I don't get it on my satilight the closest thing to that I whatch is Much music.

People thease days care more about what their hair looks like or the way the dress than their Prime minister/ President or anything important.

I just don't get people thease days. The world will be all about having and escalade a trophy wife and being a Gangsta.

I agree with Dr_Shark.

I agree with Kained But Able.

And I agree with Groovy.

So what if white people made up a large percent of MTV's VJs? Is there something wrong with the white race? They're being discriminatory to my race if that's what they think. The black people have "B.E.T." or whatever it is, I never watch it because I don't like rap or whatever it is they show on it. MTV isn't even a network that really has anything to do with races.. blink.gif. When MTV was first started, it featured a lot of rock/pop type music, which of course is largely made by white people (as most artists in the rap/hip-hop scene are black). Who cares what race is on a damned show, and who cares if the video jockeys are white. That's reverse racism saying there is something wrong with that.

MTV is now like 95% rap. I don't even bother to watch it anymore. MTV infested itself so much with things like rap and other garbage they had to make a whole new channel just to put some good stuff on, and thus MTV2 was created. And now I must say MTV2 has turned to utter sh*t. Why not play 20% rock, 20% pop, 20% techno, 20% R&B, and 20% rap (if they have to). I mean Jesus, not everyone wants to listen to goddamn rap all day. I hate rape, I mean rap lol; and the rap music videos always show a bunch of sexually aroused women and a bunch of 'rap artists' making sexual moves on women or smoking pot. I think rap sucks, I'd like to see a 'rap artist' try and make real music and play a guitar or something. But the most they can seem to do is make moves with their hands like they're playing invisible instruments or some crap. My main point: MTV has turned into a goddamn infestation of crap.

When rap isn't being whored out on MTV or it's sister station MTV2, it's punk music like you guys before me pointed out. AFI, New Found Glory, Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, etc. they all suck. Where are the original punk bands? What happened to bands like Nirvana, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc.? Sure, the focal people of those bands may all be dead now, but why aren't there true punk bands like them anymore? I'm sure there are currently punk bands that could easily be compared with Nirvana, Ramones, etc. but MTV wouldn't bother showing them on TV if MTV got paid! I hate bands like AFI and Good Charlotte, they suck and they sure as hell aren't true punk, all of their voices sound the same too. They have a groggy, kinda of accented, high pitched annoying voice that somehow lures a bunch of brainwashed freaks into buying their albums. The 'punk music' of of the 21st century is not true punk music and doesn't deserve the word 'punk' anywhere in their genre name.

Not only has MTV crashed their network so that only the 'i got high yo yo hi p hop nigga yo yo yo yo bu sta yo' audience likes them along with the knownothings who somehow can stand to listen to the 'punk music' of today's society; they've accumulatively crashed it by also adding a bunch of senseless shows: Pimp My Ride, Date My Mom, Real World, etc. (I've never even watched any of those shows, I've only heard about them from just about every person I know who thinks MTV is just the next best thing and has been since they added this bullsh*t). Honestly, shows like that do not belong on a music television network. If any non-music show belongs on MTV, it was the good old ones that changed TV all together: The Tom Green Show, Beavis and Butthead, etc. So yeah, after adding all these senseless non-music related TV shows, MTV eventually f*cks up their whole network (with the rap thing as well), makes MTV2, only to destroy that a short while later. Pathetic.

I remember when MTV used to play everything from Moby to Manson. You could find easy-listening stuff on there, and you could find hardcore death metal - all on the same channel in music videos. Now MTV only applies to pot-smoking, wannabe 'gangsta kids' of all races, and kids that are either really rich, really poor, or really motherf*cking retarded. At least that's what I've seen. I remember MTV being perfectly fine in the mid/late 90's, and even as late as around '00. They played all genres of music, not just rock - but the best rock, the best (and real) punk, R&B, easy listening, alternative. Now it's rap this, rap that, rap everything. Our generation is pitiful. Since when did living ghettos, being poor, doing drugs, and being in gangs become so downright cool they had to make a whole television network devoted to music play sh*t devoted to that 24/7 along with a bunch of stupid shows, again, shows that attract the people who do drugs, are violent, are poor (or would like to be poor so they could be cool and maybe end up on MTV someday), etc.? Sorry MTV but there are middle class folks like me who actually have some common sense. dozingoff.gif

The big questions are:

I can't believe I read all that.

And while I agree with you on most points, your stance on rap isn't entirely true. The G-Unit sh*t you see there doesn't represent the genre as whole, generally the most musically talented rap artists are of the underground variety. But yeah, I occasionally like watching Fuse (which isn't as bad as MTV), but even there they play some sh*t that just makes me shake my head and wonder what happened to good music television.

MTV doesn't represent any musical gerne correctly except pop.

I love Laguna Beach. It is so funny to watch these rich spoiled people and their everyday lives.

My Super Sweet 16 is also funny as f*ck. Oh if I were these kid's parents I would beat the sh*t out of them if they spoke to me how they speak to their parents.

I like MTV for some shows, but as a whole I just don't really watch it.

user posted image

$$H New York Crew

The whole concept of 'Music Television' has more or less gone out of the window, where MTV is concerned. MOst of the time I switch on, there is regular random shows, such as Pimp My Ride, Newlyweds or like random dating shows where the geek tries to get the girl, and there is a few of them. Not often now do you actually see alot of music on the programe, or anything music related, the best they got is Jessica Simpson and Xzibit? It is really dissapointing.

The big questions are:

Question 1 - Okay, MTV makes all their money off their viewers... they don't like their viewers... they like the money they can get off them!

Question 2 - Don't know what Channels you watch but I see more sex on primetime television than I do on MTV.

Question 3 - Cuz they can... but they know ur hooked and ur gonna keep coming back for more...

Question 4 - Same as the answer for question 3!

This entire topic only creates more publicity for them! Rather Ironic... ain't it?

the real punk bands like NOFX

lol

But yeah MTV sucks because it puts the wrong ideas into the listener's mind. To them image is more important than the song itself.

Plus all these stupid shows like Laguna Beach where all the girls look the same don't help.

People this is a topic about MTV, not what bands are really punk or not. If you want to debate over bands then make a new topic. Seesh.

People this is a topic about MTV, not what bands are really punk or not. If you want to debate over bands then make a new topic. Seesh.

No need to feel stupid and ashamed of your false ideas.

BrassKnuckles

Now, now, Barbaneez. Before you denigrate every rap musician present, past, and future, listen to a CD from rap's golden days, when a wonky, sexually-arousing female chorus didn't interrupt the rapping after 10 or 15 seconds. Rap music had (and still has) a message, just like any other musical genre. Rap music requires musical talent, serious knowledge, and plenty of heart. And when you disregard the commercialized bullsh*t that drives 50 Cent and the like, you'll be able to see that, I'm sure.

As for MTV, it's hard to make sense of the whole situation in a few sentences. Laguna Beach, Real World, Super Sweet Sixteen and the myriad dating shows (though very funny at points) are unquestionably harmful (IMO) to the social outlooks of today's teenagers, especially those without good role models in parents or friends. But I'd be hard-pressed to find something bad about, say, Pimp My Ride. There's nothing wrong with taking some kid's junker and making him feel good about his newly-supped wheels.

Besides, I'd rather watch it than TLC.

user posted image

rar paitn ^^

MTV doesn't represent any musical gerne correctly except pop.

Exactly. Don't go an insult and entire genre of music because you can't differentiate between Hip Hop and Hip Pop. Same goes for any genre. If you expect music with any type of depth or substance, look elsewhere other than the MTV. You'd have to be really dense to think that MTV represents the true meaning of any genre(except as Juvi said "Pop").

My biggest problem with MTV is that they had exclusive rights to show Pink Floyd's set at Live 8, and they cut out in the middle to one of their stupid f*cking VJs. They don't disgrace music like that, unless you're MTV.

In the US, yes. BBC were showing Live8 all day for free here. And we didn't cut to any stupid sh*t like VJs.

Bwahahahahahahah!

Jesus christ kid.

I also listen to some old punk, just not as much as modern. Velvet Underground, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc.

Keep in mind we all have different tastes.

The ramones suck.