3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Demarest

DARKPACT SAN ANDREAS

Demarest
Hmm... I tried using the compiled scm from the new files and it seemed to work fine except that when I loaded I found the player locked and hovering just over the save point without actually triggering the save tounge.gif

I don't even see how that possible. I used the variables that R* set up. Anyways, WHICH savepoint was it?

@Y_Less: That would be pretty cool. I don't remember seeing anything in the readme or the code though. Do you have an example?

random_download

Wait, I think I have figured out why, at the label :LabelDARKPACT there is no end thread so the code continues and puts the player above the pickup, which then creates another thread and repeats, my mistake sorry tounge.gif

So it works fine except for the memory message on compile :s

The thing which causes the memory message to pop up seems to be in the MAIN section. I replaced it with the original MAIN section, then made your changes to firefighter and it compiles without problems. However, the mission never starts. Did you make another change in the MAIN section so that your modified firefighter ran?

Demarest

I hear what you're saying, but I cannot stress enough that nothing changed. The MAIN in the first release and the second release are identical. I even downloaded the file off the web instead of using my local one, tossed in Glitch's XYZ mod, and compiled. No memory message and it works ingame, even in ways the first version crashed. No issues at all. In SA, no; just manipulated the Firefighter sniffer to launch it. In VC, I also trapped the CELLFON thread so that it wouldn't cause any onmission conflicts. Would've done that for SA too but at the time, I didn't understand the jump tables.

Will you talk about your Builder version? And will you answer the recurring locals limit question? sly.gif

random_download

As I understand it local vars in a thread range from @0 to @31 and @32 and @33 are timers. I think I remember reading somewhere (I think it was PatrickW and CyQ) who said that in missions local vars can be much higher, but that the limit was not known.

I was using v0.33 for PS2 version that I downlaoded from Barton's site before he removed the links, then modified the ini to work for PC. I just downloaded it off of Craig's site and it does indeed compile darkpact fine, with no memory message. I'm confused blink.gif

Demarest

Be confused all you want. I'm just glad that my suspicion of Builder version was correct. Thus Darkpact is once again spotless cool.gif

Thanks for shedding the light on locals there. Makes sense actually.

GodGell

thanks a lot for this solution, Demarest!

but i can't get it to work. sad.gif

i'm trying to make a darkpact version for my helimagnet mod. so i took darkpactv1.txt and replaced LabelDARKPACT with my HELIMG thread, and changed the create_thread in mission 0. at first sabuilder complained about not finding tables\table1.bin, so i copied the Tables directory from the original main.scm's decompiled version. then it complained about the DEFINE memory being too low, so i set it to 49152 (48k), and at last it compiled. i copied the resulting main.sc

m into SA, and tried to load my save (which was saved with the original scm). SA crashed.

is this because of the tables, or something else?

Freakingfreak

read few posts back for a start tounge.gif

Demarest on Aug 14 2005 :

Just a reminder: NEVER change the Define Memory line. Doing so is guaranteed to not work.

Demarest
Thanks, Freak. Also a few posts back, random revealed that those not using a currect Builder will get that. I have NO idea why, but it's been proven. Get the latest Builder. That IS a mirror of what has become known as the Craig version. I was thinking of offering up a DARKPACTOR for Heli Magnet, but I'm glad to see that you are smile.gif Be sure to include the before and after SCMs so that your fans can enjoy your mod smile.gif

GodGell
read few posts back for a start tounge.gif

Demarest on Aug 14 2005 :

Just a reminder: NEVER change the Define Memory line. Doing so is guaranteed to not work.

thanks, that must be it... but then what should i do when the builder says it doesn't have enough memory? will it still compile?

@Demarest: i have v0.33, i thought that was the latest one. is this "Craig version" any different? smile.gif

Demarest

Again, you should read random's post. NEVER change the define memory when using Darkpact and ONLY the WRONG version of Builder will ask you to (unless you're installing a large mod, which you're not). I hope you took my advice to use locals. This will guarantee that changing DEFINE MEMORY is not necessary.

Remember: Changing DEFINE MEMORY will GUARANTEE Darkpact not to work.

GodGell

Again, you should read random's post. NEVER change the define memory when using Darkpact and ONLY the WRONG version of Builder will ask you to (unless you're installing a large mod, which you're not). I hope you took my advice to use locals. This will guarantee that changing DEFINE MEMORY is not necessary.

Remember: Changing DEFINE MEMORY will GUARANTEE Darkpact not to work.

i changed the define memory back to its original value, added the result into sa, and it asked me to save. i saved into a different slot, quit, then compiled the original main.scm with my thread added at the very end without a create_thread.

i put it into sa and started it up. first i loaded the save that i just made, and it crashed. but the original save, which was made using an original scm, worked. altough my loop didn't seem to be running.

btw, my script uses only 2 variables: @0, a local variable to store the player's car, and $PLAYER_ACTOR.

edit: changed the misunderstandable stuff.

Edited by GodGell

Y_Less

DO NOT CHANGE THE DEFINE MEMORY

Sorry.

DaEllum67

GodGell, are you visually impaired?

Changing DEFINE MEMORY will GUARANTEE Darkpact not to work.

NEVER change the Define Memory line. Doing so is guaranteed to not work.

And then you posted this:

i changed the define memory

Edited by DaEllum67

Demarest

@Y-Less: Don't be smile.gif

@Gell: The whole reason that SCM mods have to start a new game in the first place has to be address offsets. When you change the DEFINE MEMORY line to ANYTHING other than what it already is, you WILL crash the game because you're forcibly changing the offsets in a mod that's designed to tiptoe around this limitation. I can't help you if you won't read my posts. You shouldn't be changing that line. If your Builder is telling you to, your Builder is out of date. Grab the one I linked; it's why I mirrored it in the first place. You (like random before you) will have no issues once you do. Oh, and for the sake of Darkpact, $PLAYER_ACTOR doesn't count since it already exists in whatever save you load.

GodGell

ew, sorry, my post was misunderstandable it seems. sorry, my english is far from the best...

then it complained about the DEFINE memory being too low, so i set it to 49152 (48k), and at last it compiled. i copied the resulting main.scm into SA, and tried to load my save (which was saved with the original scm). SA crashed...

i changed the define memory, added the result into sa, and it asked me to save.

you see? biggrin.gif i first changed define memory to 48k because i didn't know i shouldn't change it. then you told me i shouldn't, so i changed it back. that's why it didn't crash this time. smile.gif

random_download
but the original save, which was made using an original scm, worked. altough my loop didn't seem to be running.

Yes, if you added it to the end of the MAIN section then all the offsets will stay the same, and you will be able to load the save. However, the thread won't be running as the save was not made whilst it was running.

As for it not working once patched with darkpact: did you try a different save? Saves that are more developed don't seem to work for some reason.

Demarest
?? His last post suggested that he got it working. Also, since the re-release, even 100% saves work perfectly fine. Unless you've experienced otherwise?

jlf6

Where i must put the external script commands ?

DEFINE EXTERNAL_SCRIPT_NAME MYSCRIPT;  790914: init_external_script  79 (MYSCRIPT)

I try to normal place, the game crash and :

;----------------------------; only edit below;----------------------------   DEFINE EXTERNAL_SCRIPT_NAME MYSCRIPT;  790914: init_external_script  79 (MYSCRIPT)004F: create_thread ££LabelDARKPACT;----------------------------; only edit above;----------------------------

crash too...

Sorry for my bad english.

Demarest
I don't think Darkpact can be used to ADD external scripts. This is because the Fourth Segment has to stay the same size. You can REPLACE an external script by changing one of the defineds at the beginning. This may result in random crashed. I'm told the monkey game is unused, so you can use that I suppose.

ALEXE

ok, you've been hearing me wine alot so here are my problems

I try to install the 80 car Las Venturas garage mod so I do what you tell me on darkpact and what nubbel tells me on that one and yet when I try to compile it, it tells me that #NULL is not found on any of the .ide files and has no way of identifying it, as a code

help

ALEXE

edit: sorry bout the double post, internet problems mad.gif

Edited by ALEXE

mbell

This is just a guess, but:

Do you have default.ide, peds.ide, vehicle.ide in your SAMB folder? If not, copy them in from the game's data directory, and then try compiling.

Demarest
First of all, #NULL is only used when referring to the player. I'm not sure why the garage would use any such command, but it's in original code and your Builder should understand this regardless of version. Secondly, it's already been stated that an 80 car garage mod is going to have WAY too many global vars to be inserted into another SCM.

nubbel

As mbell already said, you need to copy these .ide files from the game folder to the Mission Builder folder and restart the Mission Builder.

The big garage code won't work with Darkpact because it needs more memory than set by default. And as Demarest said, changing the memory definition and then using Darkpact wont work!

Secondly, it's already been stated that an 80 car garage mod is going to have WAY too many global vars to be inserted into another SCM.

What do you mean with "another SCM"?

The garage code won't work with other BIG mods, but will work with other smaller mods using the original Main.scm.

Edited by nubbel

ALEXE

so basicly I'm f*cked...

what if I use 20 car lots garage instead of 80... would it still be 2 big?

nubbel
what if I use 20 car lots garage instead of 80... would it still be 2 big?

yes

ALEXE

yes

jeee... thankz... what about the next version of DARKPACT... can't it be big enough for the garage mod?

that's all I ask... a freakin 20 car garage with my old saved game for it... jeeesh

nubbel
yes

jeee... thankz... what about the next version of DARKPACT... can't it be big enough for the garage mod?

that's all I ask... a freakin 20 car garage with my old saved game for it... jeeesh

Darkpact won't ever work with my garage code.

We need to figure out more secrets of the SA engine. At the moment the only way for such huge mods is to use them with new games confused.gif

ALEXE
yes

Darkpact won't ever work with my garage code.

We need to figure out more secrets of the SA engine. At the moment the only way for such huge mods is to use them with new games confused.gif

okay, I appreciate it

props

Demarest

WOAH! You don't seem to understand what's going on here. A week ago, if you asked anybody if you could install a code mod and use your save, they'd have told you no. Doesn't that indicate to you that there's technology limitations here? There are and Darkpact tiptoes around them as much as possible. I'm sorry you've fallen in love with a mod that's too big for it, but that's the way it is. We're still far ahead of where we were a week ago. Sorry you don't recognize that for what it is confused.gif