4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Martini Racing

The Motorcycle Topic

LightningLord

A motorcycle thread? Cool.

I've been hoping to take motorcycle driving lessons soon. I was thinking of getting a Suzuki Hayabusa when I have learned how to drive a motorcycle and once I got the money. Any thoughts? Should I do what I intend to do and buy a Hayabusa or should I buy something else?

Edited by LightningLord411

sivispacem

Never understood the appeal in the Busa. Fast (but not measurably faster than most modern superbikes) but hugely heavy, very wide and not really suited to either town use or fast road riding.

Zyo

Not particularly suitable for a starter motorcycle either.

Theres plenty of suggestions back in the topic about thing to get when you are starting out riding. For a first bike its pretty much common sense to consider something around 600cc a sensible choice if you are looking to go down a sportsbike route. Something like a Honda CBR. Also take into consideration your age and road experience too, if you are in your 30s and have been driving for a decade or so, you will probably have built up a decent amount of "road sense". If you are 18 and you hop onto a hayabusa as a first bike/vehicle, you will almost certainly kill yourself.

I never really fancied the Hayabusa either. Its a good touring bike, and produces some insane performance figures, but its not really a lot of massively useable power. That said, I have an uncle who has one (or had one, need to check) and he swears by it. But he does autobahn runs in Germany, and rides to Finland on it.

Edited by Zyo

LightningLord

Never understood the appeal in the Busa. Fast (but not measurably faster than most modern superbikes) but hugely heavy, very wide and not really suited to either town use or fast road riding.

Not particularly suitable for a starter motorcycle either.

Theres plenty of suggestions back in the topic about thing to get when you are starting out riding. For a first bike its pretty much common sense to consider something around 600cc a sensible choice if you are looking to go down a sportsbike route. Something like a Honda CBR. Also take into consideration your age and road experience too, if you are in your 30s and have been driving for a decade or so, you will probably have built up a decent amount of "road sense". If you are 18 and you hop onto a hayabusa as a first bike/vehicle, you will almost certainly kill yourself.

I never really fancied the Hayabusa either. Its a good touring bike, and produces some insane performance figures, but its not really a lot of massively useable power. That said, I have an uncle who has one (or had one, need to check) and he swears by it. But he does autobahn runs in Germany, and rides to Finland on it.

Well, guess I gotta look for another motorcycle.

drifter.

Yea I plan on starting on CBr 500 and then working my way up to a ninja h2

K^2

For a first bike its pretty much common sense to consider something around 600cc a sensible choice if you are looking to go down a sportsbike route.

I think it's worth pointing out here, given US motorcycle laws*, that "first bike" in this context doesn't mean the bike you learn to ride on. First bike you sit on shouldn't be anything like a 600cc. 200-250cc is where you want the first-first bike to be. Even after passing the safety course, which granted me a full license, I don't think I was ready for a 600cc. You need to spend some time riding on smaller bikes and get used to the controls.

* In most states, you can get a learner's permit that lets you ride a bike with minimal restriction having passed only a written test. I've never so much as touched a motorcyle in my life by the time I got my permit, and it would have been legal for me to hop on the bike and head out to the highway.

Zyo

Yes agreed, thats a good point. 600cc sports bike is NOT the first bike you should sit on.

He did say however

when I have learned how to drive a motorcycle

I didn't think it was unreasonable to assume that he meant after he had completed his training and passed his test. I am unfamiliar with the U.S motorcycle training laws and did not realise they were so basic. In the UK we do a compulsory basic training (CBT) which entitles you to ride a 125cc on public roads with L plates. You can train on a larger bike with an instructor before sitting the test. I think a lot of people are ready for 500-600cc when they pass their test.

K^2

Yeah, I figured you guys must have better standards for getting a license when you've suggested a 600cc. Sadly, all we have this side of the pond is the natural selection.

LightningLord

So I shouldn't get something like a Ninja 300 or a CBR500R?

K^2

I'm riding a Ninja 250, and I'm really liking it for stability both during emergency braking and at speeds. For a sport bike, it's a really good beginner bike. From everything I've heard, 300 is all that, plus a bit more torque. I have heard great things about CBR500R as well, but it is a heavier, more powerful bike that will require more coordinated effort in absolutely all situations. I also don't think you really need more power than 300 can provide early on. Even 250 handles just fine on the freeway, and it tears off from a traffic light leaving cars far behind. The only real downside of the 250/300 is the low torque at low RPM. It doesn't get that pull until you get the engine up to 4.5-5 kRPM. But that's what the wet clutch is for. And once there, that torque stays nice and flat almost to the red line, which is somewhere in 13 kRMP range.

Another nice thing about Ninjas is that there is a very nice used market for them. If you get a 300, and a year later you feel like you are ready for a 600 or even a 1k engine, they are easy enough to sell or trade in for a new bike.

trip

Anything 250cc is what you should start on for street riding. Enough power to carry an adult while learning the ways and nuances of riding on the street...ya know.

250 ninjas are a blast and a great way to get into the sport bike market. As K2 said there are a ton of used ones at great prices because they are such a common first bike.

The other cool thing about a 250 is you can ride one for years before you need to upgrade if you decide riding is "your thing".

IMO a reasonable progression is the way to bike forever.

I don't ride a 250. :) My bike is closer to 1700cc :)

And now she is all shiny. It is officially the beginning of bike season here. I was out just cruising around...full on bath...all chrome is polished.

SRB

Haven't been around this forum for a while..

Just picked up one of these.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=667&q=2009+zx6r&oq=2009+zx6r&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1549.3439.0.3619.9.9.0.0.0.0.133.986.0j8.8.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.8.986.41n-qXCrh20#imgrc=1wRNtTpkxwxm2M%3A

This isn't it itself, I'll post pictures of mine soon and little things I'll be doing for it.

I need tires, a new tank pad, and a new tail light.

drifter.

at 6 feet and 240 lbs. would the ninja 250r be a little too small for me?

Would walk to a shop if they weren't so far away

Edited by Majesticnug420

iTRiP

I used to ride a Suzuki cruiser way back in the day, ever since then I wouldn't have minded to get on a sweet new version of

any Superbike or Hyperbike variations, just not one of those toy governed stock things.

:rampage: "iTRiP" :rampage:

GTA-Biker

Would walk to a shop if they weren't so far away

You can try to see if a bike matches your height here:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

K^2

I'm 5'11", and it's a good size for me. You'll be fine at 6'. I've also frequently rode it with my wife in the back, so there is definitely enough room and power for 240lb. Now, if you want to ride with a passenger, you probably want a larger bike. But for you, 250 will work just fine. Especially if it's your first bike.

SouthLand

My "dad" had a 1989 Suzuki GSX 750 F since I was born just like this one:

suzuki-gsx-750-f-1989-2.jpg

Anyways, I am planning to get my Motorcycle license but I HATE how its done here in Europe (Especially in Spain). This is how it works:

I have the following licenses:

- AM (Mopeds up to 50cc)

- B (Cars, Vans and trucks up to 3500kgs. When you have this license for up to 3 years you can drive 125cc Motorcycles)

There are four motorcycle Licenses:

-AM: 50cc Mopeds (Already have)

-A1: Up to 125cc bikes (I have had my car license for over a period of three years or more so i am allowed to drive 125 cc bikes even if i don't have this license.).

-A2: Up to 47bhp/35 kW bikes. So you either buy a 400cc bike or you buy a bigger size bike but you have to have the power cut off to 47bhp/35 kW.

-A: You can drive any bike. It dosen't matter what size is it.

Unfortunately, I can't jump directly to the A License, i have to have first the A2, once i pass wait two years and then fo for the A.

What really sucks is that i have to take THREE EXAMS to get my A2 >:(

1ºst exam (Written Multiple choice test about road rules, and common stuff about bikes)

2ºnd Exam (Drive on a obstacle course and Don't hit any or stall the bike)

3ºrd Exam (Drive on the city with a car behind telling you what to do.).

If i pass this three exams i will have the A2 License.

It sucks because I don't want to waste my money after i pass on a bike i don't like so i am going to have to wait 2 more years to be able to go for the A license that consists of just a 3 hour chat about safety and that's it.

So until 2017 I am not going to be able to drive any 600cc bike legally :miranda:

GrandMaster Smith

I've been thinking of getting my motorcycles license lately, I really want to go on a long road trip through the states and I figured a bike would be one of the funnest ways to do it. I've ridden pit bikes before and used to ride on the back with my dad when I was a kid so I'm not a complete stranger to bikes..From what I've read and watched it's ridiculously easy to get your motorcycle licence as long you can the basics.

How would a 450 be for a beginner? There's this one I've come across, an 84 Honda Nighthawk with only 9k miles for ~$1500. With my experience of Honda's so far they're great motors that run well and I'm more looking for something reliable rather than high speeds, I'm not so much into sports bikes mainly because I want something a bit more comfy for longer rides, besides the higher insurance and risk when having that much power.. if I could I'd get a dual sport bike and do offroad touring as well but all dual sports I've come across are a bit high for what I'm looking to spend atm.

00a0a_6TPncAtkJXN_600x450.jpg

00B0B_52gdXSZxzJX_600x450.jpg

I don't know much about the used bike market but $1500 for a bike with 9k miles that's claimed to never had a single issue in 2 years seems like a really good deal. Too good almost.. I have read the parts for this bike specifically can be harder to find so maybe that plays into it, he claims it runs perfect though and for how much cheaper it'd be insurance and gas wise I'd almost be tempted to just sell my car if the weather were to allow that.

GTA-Biker

My "dad" had a 1989 Suzuki GSX 750 F since I was born just like this one:

suzuki-gsx-750-f-1989-2.jpg

Anyways, I am planning to get my Motorcycle license but I HATE how its done here in Europe (Especially in Spain). This is how it works:

I have the following licenses:

- AM (Mopeds up to 50cc)

- B (Cars, Vans and trucks up to 3500kgs. When you have this license for up to 3 years you can drive 125cc Motorcycles)

There are four motorcycle Licenses:

-AM: 50cc Mopeds (Already have)

-A1: Up to 125cc bikes (I have had my car license for over a period of three years or more so i am allowed to drive 125 cc bikes even if i don't have this license.).

-A2: Up to 47bhp/35 kW bikes. So you either buy a 400cc bike or you buy a bigger size bike but you have to have the power cut off to 47bhp/35 kW.

-A: You can drive any bike. It dosen't matter what size is it.

Unfortunately, I can't jump directly to the A License, i have to have first the A2, once i pass wait two years and then fo for the A.

What really sucks is that i have to take THREE EXAMS to get my A2 > :(

1ºst exam (Written Multiple choice test about road rules, and common stuff about bikes)

2ºnd Exam (Drive on a obstacle course and Don't hit any or stall the bike)

3ºrd Exam (Drive on the city with a car behind telling you what to do.).

If i pass this three exams i will have the A2 License.

It sucks because I don't want to waste my money after i pass on a bike i don't like so i am going to have to wait 2 more years to be able to go for the A license that consists of just a 3 hour chat about safety and that's it.

So until 2017 I am not going to be able to drive any 600cc bike legally :miranda:

Same here in Croatia,except we can´t even ride 125cc with B license,only 50cc.I´m planning to buy Aprilia Classic for now and then when I´m 24,I´ll get A license and some more powerful bike,since I don´t want to waste money on A2 only to have to get A a few years later.This is what bike I´m planning to buy looks like:

classic%20125.jpg

Edited by LeopardGecko

GTA-Biker

I got myself a new bike today,1994 Aprilia Classic:

11951399_902132833200355_518926687868325

I just have to fix the transmission,it´s having some problems when shifting into second gear.Then I can start riding,at least for a month or two until the weather gets too crappy.

Edited by LeopardGecko

SouthLand

Bought a new Scooter

2007 Honda SH 125cc. Great to get around Barcelona quick and cheaper than public transport and especially to my new job.

Like how the J. Costa exhaust sounds however i am probably going to get pulled over by the police because i don't have the exhaust's DB Killer. So until i find a used one, I am playing with fire.

12118798_10153019097012811_6409190157872

Flachbau

Anybody else here like Indian Motorcycle Co.? I think I'm in love with the Scout :inlove:

photo-4.jpg

Flachbau

That Hellcat bike is a beauty. I'm not very interested in the "rice burner" bikes, as many would call them :p I absolutely love the cruiser bikes.

GTA-Biker

The new Scout looks cool,but from Indians I like the new Chief Classic more.

Indian%20Chief%20Classic%2014%20%202.jpg

I love cruiser bikes with retro looks.My favorite is the Harley Davidson Seventy Two:

Harley-Davidson%20XL1200%20Sportster%207

Edited by LeopardGecko

Crossed

So I have access to two bikes. One running one rotting. Dad passed away while back and a week later I was displaced out of my place due to valley fire in cali. So stuck at my mom's for a bit with more vehicles then I know what to do with.

Anyways got to give my mom a grand an this Honda's mine.

25jkv7k.jpg

Then there's the rotting triumph that's some kind of European model. Shifting is reversed on it. Mirrored from Usa standard or something.

Pic of book(one of these):

axnu5g.jpg

Bike :

111ruqe.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting my license. I've only putted around on three wheelers an quads. And miscellaneous small sh*t. I treat open aired vehicles like chainsaws. Never trusting, always alert an aware. So hopefully I don't become roast beef. So far my track records clean for accidents in my 10 years of driving and I've avoided a lot of idiots. Don't mean sh*t though.

Edited by Macsnowblind707

sivispacem

Restored that Triumph will be worth a few bob.

Adrenalist

Sweet Honda, Mac. A grand is nothin for it!

I'd go to a Triumph forum, register, and start a thread asking how much it's worth. Maybe you can collect something towards the $1,000 you need and rid your mom's yard of sone junk in the process. :D (worth a shot, anyway)

License just takes a weekend. It's $200ish. It goes by fast. And it's good that you've waited this long. If I had started street riding at 16, I'd have killed myself.

Sorry to hear about your pops, man.

Best of luck on getting this going!

trip

If I had started street riding at 16, I'd have killed myself.

Hey...I've been riding on the street since I was 16. And I'm still alive. :) almost 50.

Before I forget...get that Triumph going.

And back to my ramble of: man oh man do you do crazy sh*t on bikes when you are younger. Not to mention the ride anywhere, any time, any weather side of it all. I can't imagine riding in weather below 40f now, but as a kid...f*ck, if there wasn't snow on the road you'd make the run.

Riding season is all but I very here. At least there is always that excitment of the first ride of the new season.

Zyo

And back to my ramble of: man oh man do you do crazy sh*t on bikes when you are younger. Not to mention the ride anywhere, any time, any weather side of it all. I can't imagine riding in weather below 40f now, but as a kid...f*ck, if there wasn't snow on the road you'd make the run.

Riding season is all but I very here. At least there is always that excitment of the first ride of the new season.

Haha, just get a sidecar and spiked tires and you're away!

I've been a bit in the "ride anywhere, anytime" mentality before. But yeah, you won't see me riding at below 40f either. Below 50f is incredibly rare. I have a 7C (45f) rubber rule, tyres act differently at low temps, rubber hardens and loses traction. Under 7C is winter tire territory.

Edited by Zyo